Faction change token

Unlikely to happen *like*that*. There are suspicions out here in Playerland that the Saboteur storyline will eventually offer a faction change, but nothing is confirmed.

But anyway, how would it work? What would the limitations be? How would it interact with class stories, companions, etc. etc. etc.?

And why only from Republic to Empire? ;)

Edited by SteveTheCynic

why wouldnt they remain what they are?

That was actually my thought. Maybe change the names on the opposite factions, but keep the class identity. The names below are just my thoughts on the matter, and I'm open to suggestions, especially for an equivalent of Powertech, where I totally lacked inspiration and where online thesauruses are *no* help at all.

Pub ==> Imp:

* Commando ==> Black Ops Commando (Black Ops being my vision of the Imp equivalent of Havoc Squad)

* Vanguard ==> Black Ops Vanguard

* Trooper ==> Black Ops Trooper (If you can think of something else that avoids the "BOT" abbreviation, go for it!)

* Gunslinger ==> Shooter (look up your Old West terminology!)

* Scoundrel ==> (digs in thesaurus) Swindler

* Smuggler ==> (still got that thesaurus open) Runner

* Jedi (anything) ==> Fallen Jedi (that thing) (avoids the problem of finding a translation of "Consular")

Imp ==> Pub:

* Mercenary ==> Freelancer

* Powertech ==> ((help me out here!))

* Bounty Hunter ==> Stalker (weak at best, and if you have better ideas, I'd be glad to hear them)

* Sniper ==> Rifleman (it's not an ideal conversion, but the two best are already in use: who would want to change from being a "Marksmanship Sniper" to being a "Marksmanship Marksman"?)

* Operative ==> Spook ("operative" is normally an adjective equivalent to "functional" or "operational"...)(1)

* Imperial Agent ==> Provocateur (whatever we put here would be contentious(2))

* Sith (anything) ==> Redeemed Sith (that thing)

(1) Operative isn't the only class named for an adjective. "Consular" is an adjective that describes things or activities related to consulates (and the implied consulate in a modern embassy), as opposed to "ambassadorial" which refers to things related specifically to an embassy or more narrowly to the ambassador him/her self. Mapping Jedi Consular to Fallen Jedi Consular avoided that issue.

(2) "Republic Agent" is a spectacularly bad alternative, since it would instantly attract complaints about a lack of "Republic Agent class story". In addition, "Provocateur" is a pretty good description of much of what the Agent does during the class story.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
I'd love to see a quest or an achievement that allows this. I'm imagining a complete shift to the opposite side. As for class stories going forward, you could just be inserted into your mirror class's story. This could also add some new life to the game for older players as a fill-in for the popular "time for a new class" idea that continually resurfaces. Don't know how this would affect companions but it would be fun to run an imp toon through pub content and vice versa. I think it would add more longevity to existing content than a lot of the usual content updates we get.

I'd love to see a quest or an achievement that allows this. I'm imagining a complete shift to the opposite side. As for class stories going forward, you could just be inserted into your mirror class's story. This could also add some new life to the game for older players as a fill-in for the popular "time for a new class" idea that continually resurfaces. Don't know how this would affect companions but it would be fun to run an imp toon through pub content and vice versa. I think it would add more longevity to existing content than a lot of the usual content updates we get.

The Saboteur thing I alluded to way up top will undoubtedly be *after* the Onslaught story, or maybe as the last part of it. I don't think any faction-change *during* the classic class story is remotely feasible, although I suppose the companion thing could be handled by the simple expedient of saying "no romances, old companions lost, blah blah".

Of course, would an Agent really become a Smuggler, or vice versa? What about Trooper<=>Bounty Hunter? None of these seems valid as *story-component* transitions. (A simple "boot you over the wall" CM token could work, I suppose.)