I have a pre 6.0 question

AlCorazon

Hey all,

So I returned briefly few months ago, to find out that grind will kill me, found out about 6.0 and gearing changes and decided to wait until it is released.

My gear is currently whatever was the max i think 248 and lowest 236 on some toons.

My concern is, when 6.0 hits, will I be able to grow gear quickly or not?

I have read the post of musco on gearing changes, but now the link (if anyone has it, pelase share)

My point is, i don't understand how the gearing will work after 6.0, is there anyone who can explain it? And what will await a guy like me past 6.0 with some toons in 236 and some in 248, who especially likes mostly PvP and does not really enjoy PvE all that much aside from the story. I have not played actively for a while now, so i find it even more difficult coming back to new gearing past 6.0.

An experience player, what would you do in those conditions past 6.0?

Thank you! :)

Warzones will be max bolster in 6.0 so gear wont mean much. As for gear acquisition speed, its likely to be worse as the level of RNG shown right now is about 10x worse than when galactic command was first introduced. Its 19 tiers of gear chock full of green trash.

It won’t matter what gear you have when you start 6.0, 258 or 158 it will all suddenly become outdated. Set bonuses that you have will suddenly disappear (SB is being removed from armorings and moving to shells).

When 6.0 hits, you’ll want to level to 75. After that, you start getting gear drops from doing whatever (warzones, farming pve stuff...whatever). I’m yet to see what the drops will be like from warzones, but I suspect it will be faster to farm e.g. Hammer Station over and over. There will be 19 new gear tiers. Yes, nineteen. Goes from 270 to 306. The system looks at your average item rating and drops gear based on that. The problem is, all these gear drops you get will be un-moddable. You will be able to directly buy moddable shells that have set bonus, but they will be very expensive (credits and a new currency called Tech Fragments - basically new Unassembled Components). It’s unclear how exactly we are supposed to get mods though. Seems like we will have to buy from an RNG vendor for that. Again, the system will look at your average item rating and drop a random mod at an item rating around the level you are at. May be an upgrade, may not be. Might be what you want (e.g. crit enhancement), might be something you don’t want (e.g. acc).

They are doubling down on RNG in 6.0, completely ignoring the lessons learned from 5.0. RNG gear vendors are intended to be supplementary, gear drops from playing are supposed to be primary. But gear drops are random. Until they make some changes, the current plan for 6.0 doesn’t really give us a good mechanism for getting moddable stuff and controlling our stat allocations. Also, because the system will have so many gear tiers and rain unmoddable gear upon us and the system requires you to wear the unmoddable stuff (drops based on the item rating you are wearing), we’ll have to skip using augments. Unless of course you have a ton of credits to burn. Keep augmenting each time you get a drop that has a slightly better item rating.

Needless to say, I’m not a fan. It’s convoluted and heavily RNG dependent. No real way to get the gear you want. Sure, bolster is supposed to take us pretty far, but controlling your stat allocation will be very difficult, maybe even impossible.

I’d recommend hopping onto the PTS and taking a look. You can use a trick to basically get unlimited tech fragments. Go read the PTS forums for that. You’ll want to do that so you can see how the RNG vendors work.

I’m yet to see what the drops will be like from warzones...

I’d recommend hopping onto the PTS and taking a look....

What's the reason for not seeing drops from WZ? Is it because drops from WZ are not on the PTS yet? That is what it seems like from what I've been reading. And yes, I tried to ask this over on the PTS forums, and specifically in the thread where they were asking for "warzone loot acquisition feedback" and heard only crickets in response.

Or is it because WZs are not really popping (another thing I heard)? Or because you just got disgusted and stopped trying PvP? :p

Because, I really have absolutely ZERO interest in how gearing works doing PvE. I really only care about how it works doing PvP - and so I don't see any reason to go to the PTS until they actually get PvP gearing fully implemented.

Hey all,

So I returned briefly few months ago, to find out that grind will kill me, found out about 6.0 and gearing changes and decided to wait until it is released.

My gear is currently whatever was the max i think 248 and lowest 236 on some toons.

My concern is, when 6.0 hits, will I be able to grow gear quickly or not?

I have read the post of musco on gearing changes, but now the link (if anyone has it, pelase share)

My point is, i don't understand how the gearing will work after 6.0, is there anyone who can explain it? And what will await a guy like me past 6.0 with some toons in 236 and some in 248, who especially likes mostly PvP and does not really enjoy PvE all that much aside from the story. I have not played actively for a while now, so i find it even more difficult coming back to new gearing past 6.0.

An experience player, what would you do in those conditions past 6.0?

Thank you! :)

NM, Teclado really gave you a pretty solid answer. I won't even comment on 6.0.

FWIW, I am in the same boat as you, only I been back for a couple weeks now. I am wearing 230 crap purples and then have a couple toons in 248s which was max rating when I had quit awhile back. I don't do any of the Ossus stuff, I have no interest in Ossus or grinding before 6.0 either.

You could always log in and play your toons in PVP and not do the Ossus grind. Bolster works good enough I don't feel like my toons are hugely underrated gearwise.

Edited by Lhancelot

@ Banderal

I haven’t played any warzones on the PTS. I heard that they were somehow bugged regarding loot/rewards. It seems warzones haven’t yet been the focus for testing, but that will happen sometime between now and launch. Just keep an eye on dev tracker for when Eric asks everybody to queue for warzones on PTS. I’m pretty sure they haven’t really settled on how they will handle gear rewards in pvp yet, but I’d say you can reasonably assume that ranked will give better rewards and that grinding pve stuff will be better than just playing unranked.

NM, Teclado really gave you a pretty solid answer. I won't even comment on 6.0.

FWIW, I am in the same boat as you, only I been back for a couple weeks now. I am wearing 230 crap purples and then have a couple toons in 248s which was max rating when I had quit awhile back. I don't do any of the Ossus stuff, I have no interest in Ossus or grinding before 6.0 either.

You could always log in and play your toons in PVP and not do the Ossus grind. Bolster works good enough I don't feel like my toons are hugely underrated gearwise.

Well I also like the story aspect ofr SWTOR, i really do! :) And PvP, i canceled my sub until the release of 6.0 and see what happens, a lot of unmoddable gear is not a rosy prospect to be honest.

It won’t matter what gear you have when you start 6.0, 258 or 158 it will all suddenly become outdated. Set bonuses that you have will suddenly disappear (SB is being removed from armorings and moving to shells).

When 6.0 hits, you’ll want to level to 75. After that, you start getting gear drops from doing whatever (warzones, farming pve stuff...whatever). I’m yet to see what the drops will be like from warzones, but I suspect it will be faster to farm e.g. Hammer Station over and over. There will be 19 new gear tiers. Yes, nineteen. Goes from 270 to 306. The system looks at your average item rating and drops gear based on that. The problem is, all these gear drops you get will be un-moddable. You will be able to directly buy moddable shells that have set bonus, but they will be very expensive (credits and a new currency called Tech Fragments - basically new Unassembled Components). It’s unclear how exactly we are supposed to get mods though. Seems like we will have to buy from an RNG vendor for that. Again, the system will look at your average item rating and drop a random mod at an item rating around the level you are at. May be an upgrade, may not be. Might be what you want (e.g. crit enhancement), might be something you don’t want (e.g. acc).

They are doubling down on RNG in 6.0, completely ignoring the lessons learned from 5.0. RNG gear vendors are intended to be supplementary, gear drops from playing are supposed to be primary. But gear drops are random. Until they make some changes, the current plan for 6.0 doesn’t really give us a good mechanism for getting moddable stuff and controlling our stat allocations. Also, because the system will have so many gear tiers and rain unmoddable gear upon us and the system requires you to wear the unmoddable stuff (drops based on the item rating you are wearing), we’ll have to skip using augments. Unless of course you have a ton of credits to burn. Keep augmenting each time you get a drop that has a slightly better item rating.

Needless to say, I’m not a fan. It’s convoluted and heavily RNG dependent. No real way to get the gear you want. Sure, bolster is supposed to take us pretty far, but controlling your stat allocation will be very difficult, maybe even impossible.

I’d recommend hopping onto the PTS and taking a look. You can use a trick to basically get unlimited tech fragments. Go read the PTS forums for that. You’ll want to do that so you can see how the RNG vendors work.

Thank you for your response, so far does not look really rozy. I miss the expertise and not having to que for killing a mob to pvp .... :(