Marauder/Sentinel: How to beat us

Yescek

Since so many people are crying oceans, I figured I'd save you the trouble of actually researching this and just give it up. If for no other reason that to shut the kiddies up.

Marauder and it's mirror have several very key, and very easy to exploit, weaknesses. Understand that knowing this is not going to save you if the circumstances are not right. If the dual wielder, as i'll refer to us, is smart then they'll be playing in a manner designed to minimize these weaknesses but it is impossible to eliminate them completely.

1. Never, EVER fill a Dual Wielder's Resolve.

This is because one of the most glaring weaknesses is our need to be in Melee range. CC of most any kind allows one to move outside this range, effectively negating our presence. This point is probably, more than anything, the Achilles heel of the Dual Wielder. It's also the hardest one to do correctly as lots of us have tamed the urge to instantly smack the CC break. This is even harder against a Carnage/Combat Dual Wielder due to the Camo talent we all take. How you avoid filling a Dual Wielder's resolve is simple: DO NOT CC UNTIL THEY ARE BELOW AT LEAST 30%. CC needs to be saved for the END of the fight, when we start popping the really heavy defensive cooldowns like Undying Rage. Stunning us through that will negate it.

2. Avoid 1 vs 1 fights

This is fairly hard, as most of us try to create 1 vs 1 situations. But remember, running isn't a *****-move. It's playing smart. If you escape a Dual Wielder, you've still won because then you can go get help. Or go hang out next to help, either way. Against a Carnage/Combat Dual Wielder, you're more or less up a creek in this department. It can still be done though, if you FOCUS on ESCAPING. This is about denying the Dual Wielder THEIR fight, you want to face them on your terms. Which, preferrably, includes some backup. If for no other reason than at least one of you will kill the guy.

3. NEVER KB as soon as the Marauder attacks you, unless you can position them in such a way as to knock them off a ledge or something

This one is pretty self-explanatory. A smart Dual Wielder will try to position themselves in a way that will cause your KB to be ineffectual. This is the ONE and ONLY scenario in which I would advocate CC'ing right off. You'll buy yourself JUST enough time to knock the Dual Wielder into the pit, or off of the bridge. If you don't think you can do it in time, or the Dual Wielder stupidly blows their CC break to avoid the incoming KB, then you need to save it. The reason is that if you waste it, most of us have learned by now to sit on Force Charge for when we get KB'd so that we can instantly re-engage. Also, if you DO manage to knock them into, say, the pit, then you need to MOVE AWAY FROM THAT SPOT so that the Dual Wielder can't just wait for Force Charge to come back up.

4. (If the DW is Ataru specc'ed, ignore this one) Move away from them/Interrupt when they start Ravage

Ravage is stupidly easy to spot, and the only hit that really hurts is the last one. If you can interrupt it, do so. If you can't, run away. Simple as that, and it will make them lost a VERY significant bit of damage.

5. (If Shii-Cho specc'ed and you DON'T do this, then you're stupid) Kite like a mofo

Do I even need to explain this one?

Other Important Notes: If your a PT/Vanguard or a Sniper/Gunslinger and you get blinded (Obsfucate/I forget the Sentinel version's name), ONLY use Tech attacks. Your abilities should be labeled in the book. Ranged and Melee attacks more or less all miss while obsfucated. If you happen to be a Dual Wielder and you're fighting another Dual Wielder, you need to blind them ASAP. The blind isn't terribly effective against any other classes.

Really, at the end of the day, it's all about keeping us outside Melee range and about never letting a Dual Wielder get you by yourself. This isn't that hard if you don't waste your CC or your KB.

To clear up any confusion about which ability is which, please refer to the list below for which ability is which and what it does.

Undying Rage/<Insert Sentinel Version>: This ability gives 99% damage reduction at the cost of 50% HP for 5 seconds. When it's popped, the Dual Wielder (Depending on faction) will either turn black with a red aura or black with a blue aura. They need to be INSTANTLY stunned upon using this and THIS is why it's so critical to NOT fill their resolve bar.

Cloak of Pain/<Insert Sentinel Verison>: This ability gives 20% damage reduction and inflicts a tiny amount of damage whenever the Dual Wielder is attacked. This can only happen 15 times MAX while the ability is up. The damage will be around 200 - 300 per tick making the maximum amount of damage that can be inflicted by it something to the tune of 4.5k. HOWEVER, this is ONLY if that person IS being attacked. The damage is 100% dependent upon someone attacking that person and it will ONLY affect the person who threw the attack. This will wrap the user in a red/blue aura depending on faction. It will look kinda like fire, but not NEARLY as distinct as Bloodthirst.

Saber Ward/<Insert Sentinel Version>: This ability gives a melee and ranged damage reduction of 50% and a Force and Tech damage reduction of 25%. This ability surrounds the user with an "bubble", either blue or red depending upon faction. This lasts for 12 seconds.

Saber Ward and Cloak Of Pain are almost always used in conjunction.

That about all I can think of.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the fact that we should avoid a 1v1 situatiion is described as our counter. The fact that 1v1 maruaders **** everything is the problem. This logic is epic. I wish I could just tell people, well my class is ok you just need to bring friends to kill me.

I love the fact that we should avoid a 1v1 situatiion is described as our counter. The fact that 1v1 maruaders **** everything is the problem. This logic is epic. I wish I could just tell people, well my class is ok you just need to bring friends to kill me.

Ah yes, Exhibit A.

Killing marauders is easy. Just roll a marauder! I just so happen to have one at 50 weeks before the patch notes for 1.2 went up so I'm golden. It's all skill baby. I love mowing down BM healers on my cent/champ geared marauder. Pretty awesome.

Since so many people are crying oceans, I figured I'd save you the trouble of actually researching this and just give it up. If for no other reason that to shut the kiddies up.

Marauder and it's mirror have several very key, and very easy to exploit, weaknesses. Understand that knowing this is not going to save you if the circumstances are not right. If the dual wielder, as i'll refer to us, is smart then they'll be playing in a manner designed to minimize these weaknesses but it is impossible to eliminate them completely.

1. Never, EVER fill a Dual Wielder's Resolve.

This is because one of the most glaring weaknesses is our need to be in Melee range. CC of most any kind allows one to move outside this range, effectively negating our presence. This point is probably, more than anything, the Achilles heel of the Dual Wielder. It's also the hardest one to do correctly as lots of us have tamed the urge to instantly smack the CC break. This is even harder against a Carnage/Combat Dual Wielder due to the Camo talent we all take. How you avoid filling a Dual Wielder's resolve is simple: DO NOT CC UNTIL THEY ARE BELOW AT LEAST 30%. CC needs to be saved for the END of the fight, when we start popping the really heavy defensive cooldowns like Undying Rage. Stunning us through that will negate it.

2. Avoid 1 vs 1 fights

This is fairly hard, as most of us try to create 1 vs 1 situations. But remember, running isn't a *****-move. It's playing smart. If you escape a Dual Wielder, you've still won because then you can go get help. Or go hang out next to help, either way. Against a Carnage/Combat Dual Wielder, you're more or less up a creek in this department. It can still be done though, if you FOCUS on ESCAPING. This is about denying the Dual Wielder THEIR fight, you want to face them on your terms. Which, preferrably, includes some backup. If for no other reason than at least one of you will kill the guy.

3. NEVER KB as soon as the Marauder attacks you, unless you can position them in such a way as to knock them off a ledge or something

This one is pretty self-explanatory. A smart Dual Wielder will try to position themselves in a way that will cause your KB to be ineffectual. This is the ONE and ONLY scenario in which I would advocate CC'ing right off. You'll buy yourself JUST enough time to knock the Dual Wielder into the pit, or off of the bridge. If you don't think you can do it in time, or the Dual Wielder stupidly blows their CC break to avoid the incoming KB, then you need to save it. The reason is that if you waste it, most of us have learned by now to sit on Force Charge for when we get KB'd so that we can instantly re-engage. Also, if you DO manage to knock them into, say, the pit, then you need to MOVE AWAY FROM THAT SPOT so that the Dual Wielder can't just wait for Force Charge to come back up.

4. (If the DW is Ataru specc'ed, ignore this one) Move away from them/Interrupt when they start Ravage

Ravage is stupidly easy to spot, and the only hit that really hurts is the last one. If you can interrupt it, do so. If you can't, run away. Simple as that, and it will make them lost a VERY significant bit of damage.

5. (If Shii-Cho specc'ed and you DON'T do this, then you're stupid) Kite like a mofo

Do I even need to explain this one?

Other Important Notes: If your a PT/Vanguard or a Sniper/Gunslinger and you get blinded (Obsfucate/I forget the Sentinel version's name), ONLY use Tech attacks. Your abilities should be labeled in the book. Ranged and Melee attacks more or less all miss while obsfucated. If you happen to be a Dual Wielder and you're fighting another Dual Wielder, you need to blind them ASAP. The blind isn't terribly effective against any other classes.

Really, at the end of the day, it's all about keeping us outside Melee range and about never letting a Dual Wielder get you by yourself. This isn't that hard if you don't waste your CC or your KB.

To clear up any confusion about which ability is which, please refer to the list below for which ability is which and what it does.

Undying Rage/<Insert Sentinel Version>: This ability gives 99% damage reduction at the cost of 50% HP for 5 seconds. When it's popped, the Dual Wielder (Depending on faction) will either turn black with a red aura or black with a blue aura. They need to be INSTANTLY stunned upon using this and THIS is why it's so critical to NOT fill their resolve bar.

Cloak of Pain/<Insert Sentinel Verison>: This ability gives 20% damage reduction and inflicts a tiny amount of damage whenever the Dual Wielder is attacked. This can only happen 15 times MAX while the ability is up. The damage will be around 200 - 300 per tick making the maximum amount of damage that can be inflicted by it something to the tune of 4.5k. HOWEVER, this is ONLY if that person IS being attacked. The damage is 100% dependent upon someone attacking that person and it will ONLY affect the person who threw the attack. This will wrap the user in a red/blue aura depending on faction. It will look kinda like fire, but not NEARLY as distinct as Bloodthirst.

Saber Ward/<Insert Sentinel Version>: This ability gives a melee and ranged damage reduction of 50% and a Force and Tech damage reduction of 25%. This ability surrounds the user with an "bubble", either blue or red depending upon faction. This lasts for 12 seconds.

Saber Ward and Cloak Of Pain are almost always used in conjunction.

That about all I can think of.

how to beat you erm ? start hacking because a good maurauder will time his god mode buffs.

im already see'ing 1 good maurauder takes out around 5 people before going down themselves because

1. there damage is stupidly high

2. they have to much survivability for a pure dps class another words god mode

dont give me this drivel the only maurauders this crap will work on are ones that cant play their class properly lol.

1.Too bad that you don´t have an CC breaker .. oh wait how did you get out of my stun no worries i´ll just use my 1.5sec cast time mez dang you interrupted.

2.Positioning in this game sucks badly you can try to keep the melee out of it´s range +4meters but still i get hit even if the range shows at 5-10meters now it´s not fair to say this is your classes fault and i know it works both ways i get the not inrange spam on my Ops alt even while my range shows 1meters. Luckily you don´t have a slow that would make my escape so much harder.

3.Positioning again you can aim your kickback and if the server agrees your target might be pushed to the correct direction or atleast close to that. And pushbacks only really work in huttballs they are useless in VS/ACW and novare unless used to interrupt. Oh and luckilty you don´t have charge that would make my pushbacking useless.

4.Nobody has the time to see what form you are in maybe the ones who play the class might recognize the the symbols most of us don´t.

Now on a more serious note your guide is nice but everything you think that can be used against maras/sents you guys have an antidote for. There is legimate claim on your class being OP but it´s not your fault enjoy it while it lasts pretty sure they will hammer you and sins/shadows down like they did to OPS/Scoundrels maybe in a month or two if they still have a sufficient playerbase.

Pretty sure this is un-interruptable now.

Also, they cant pop their god mode cooldown while CC'ed so a CC at 30% followed by popping burst will quite often take them down before they can pop it - but you don't want to spend CC on them pre-30% or so to give yourself this option when it comes.

Uh.........I have only small amount of PvP (maybe six hours combined) but the only class I've had trouble beating are Snipers/Gunslingers.....:confused: Marauders/Sentinals I just keep at range and dwindle their health down.....Snipers/Gunslingers just keep staying out of my range and stunning me!!

Pretty sure this is un-interruptable now.

Knockbacks, stuns, etc. still work. Just not interrupts.

Also, they cant pop their god mode cooldown while CC'ed so a CC at 30% followed by popping burst will quite often take them down before they can pop it - but you don't want to spend CC on them pre-30% or so to give yourself this option when it comes.

This. If only this forum were as smart as you, the QQ would be so much less.

Avoid 1 vs 1 fights

I lol'd.

If a class consistently beats another 1 vs. 1, then we're into the rock paper scissors balance model, and that's not a way to balance a game that allows for engaging world PvP. Further, I can't seem to think of a "paper" to a sentinel/marauder's "rock" right now. Are you really advocating that one class should be superior to all others in 1 vs. 1 fights? That doesn't seem right.

The issue isn't that people don't know how to play against sentinels/marauders. It's that sentinels/marauders are grossly overpowered.

The solution is not players of sentinel/marauder characters giving PvP lessons to everyone else. It's a balance hotfix. This needs to happen, and the sooner the better.

Edited by Visue

How to beat a marauder.

1) Bring a Sentinel.

Haha this.

Look, you went to the effort of typing that, and I applaud you for that, even though none of that information is new at all to me as I've played the class.

But really, here is the easiest way to counter something you don't have a solution for: just copy it. Either you've now learned the counter, or if there is no reliable counter, you're going to dominate.

Now there are some counters, but Maras are clearly the strongest class right now, so if you're a good player just use them because it will make you dominant. The majority are not actually good, so even if everybody played Maras if you're a good player you'll still win.

Eventually they'll nerf this class and a new good class will take over. When that happens you just play the next class. I thought pre-1.2 the balance was fine, everybody seemed to have options and when played intelligently would be dangerous. But for some reason people complained, and so the devs nerfed everyone and buffed Sent/Mara, under the impression that those classes were weak. Now everyone will ***** about Sent/Mara, so eventually they will get nerfed.

I suspect Snipers will be the next FOTM.

Thanks for the advice, but this doesnt apply much for Commando Medics or maybe healers in general.

Everytime i get focused on by Marauders/Sentinels, I throw in a Concussion Charge(Knock Back) or Cryo Grenade(Stun) and run the hell away. Hoping he cant force jump me.

PvP damage due to expertise has been insanely increased and heals/resource pool nerfed unfairly, my heals cannot hold against Marauder/Sentinel dps and utility. Im not even talking about surviving indefinitely against them 1v1. We cant even survive for more than a few seconds.

A little off topic, I accept that maybe Marauder/Sentinel are meant to be healer/tanker/dps killers, but its no fun when every other class can kill healers or out dps their heals, people dont even need to focus fire now, its all blind DPS, no tactics or strategy.

Edited by ImariKurumi

how to beat you erm ? start hacking because a good maurauder will time his god mode buffs.

im already see'ing 1 good maurauder takes out around 5 people before going down themselves because

1. there damage is stupidly high

2. they have to much survivability for a pure dps class another words god mode

dont give me this drivel the only maurauders this crap will work on are ones that cant play their class properly lol.

You should tell the people on your server to stop pvping naked, I bet it'll go a long way.

Please let me know how an operative healer is supposed to survive and kite a mara/sent with our melee ranged stun (which could fill the resolve bar, which is a no no for your guide), our 10m mez which gets broken by damage constantly (also fills the resolve bar quite a bit), and our 10m ranged snare. No KBs, no ranged stuns, no long ranged roots/snares, and only one real choice to to interrupt with. Also, you need to rely on hots and instants to heal yourself because they have so many ways to interrupt you, good luck getting a cast off. Your only chance to outheal their damage is to let them get you to 30% with your hots rolling and your 2 crappy defensive CDs and spam surgical probe while hope they don't stun you.

If any op healer gets caught without their CC breaker, they are dead. I know some classes counter others, but ops healers have no chance currently to offer any resistance to a marauder/sentinel ripping their face off. You become totally reliant on you team babysitting you, or you die a fast death.

I'll wait for your reply, Mr. Smartguy.

1vs1 people only understand killing

lets talk about hutball 1vs1 in defending there is one class that will always be better then any other

1vs1 in scoring there is one class that will do it better

1vs1 in capping a objective some class are just way better to sneak in without anybody having time to call for help

class are class because they can do something better then other

2vs2 one group with healer the other without guess who will always win?

just because one class is King in 1vs1 doesn't mean is OP because honestly warzone are not 1vs1 competition are not even damage competition

1vs1 if jumped by a scoundrel a good scoundrel mara shouldn't win anyway

sometimes in huttball is even better not kill the enemy so he doesn't re-spawn in front of ur ball carrier

people play this game in the wrong way

you call Marauder/Sentinel op because is the class better suited to kill

it's not important if he is the worst suited to other situation all people understand is "he killed me"

Edited by Pekish

1vs1 people only understand killing

lets talk about hutball 1vs1 in defending there is one class that will always be better then any other

1vs1 in scoring there is one class that will do it better

1vs1 in capping a objective some class are just way better to sneak in without anybody having time to call for help

class are class because they can do something better then other

2vs2 one group with healer the other without guess who will always win?

just because one class is King in 1vs1 doesn't mean is OP because honestly warzone are not 1vs1 competition are not even damage competition

1vs1 if jumped by a scoundrel a good scoundrel mara shouldn't win anyway

sometimes in huttball is even better not kill the enemy so he doesn't re-spawn in front of ur ball carrier

people play this game in the wrong way

Marauder/Sentinel is op because he is the class better suited to kill not important if it's the worst suited to other situation all people understand is "he killed me"

In what wz are marauders not some of the best?

I find I have a good time in Huttball with mine especially when u need to get it the last few meter over the goal line, push godlike I cannot die button.

In Civil War I find it good because you can defend or attack a turret alone, if there's only few defenders attackers. When defending and waiting for backup press the godlike I cannot die buttong.

In Voidstar, Small play areas, hard for people to kite you unless they stay at the pillars.

I haven't found a wz where a marauder is out of it's element.

100% agree