The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!

elliotcat

Thanks for the comments everyone, I really wasn't sure the mashup worked. :D

Dreams/Nightmares

What Dreams May Come

JK

some general Scourge-story spoilers, continuing the Esma/Scourge thing

eeeeeeeee.. I can't give Scourge my hearts so I give them to you and this story <3 <3 <3

Thanks for the comments everyone, I really wasn't sure the mashup worked. :D

eeeeeeeee.. I can't give Scourge my hearts so I give them to you and this story <3 <3 <3

Kabeone, I reread your story again, and while it was great the first time through, the second I was even more impressed by the level of detail. Excellent work! (And I'm really glad you liked the Scourge story :) )

Dreams and Nightmares

Nosc in the Works

SW spoilerish for the incident.

Nosc pressed the elevator switch several times. The doors had closed but there was no movement. She frowned and checked her datapad. They were coming down after retrieving one of those glowing boxes with ancient secrets. She was planning to sell it.

Suddenly the lift started shaking, she heard a noise as if something snapped, and they were in a free-fall.

“Brace yourself,” she yelled to her companion though he was only a foot away from her.

“Aaarroooooaawwwaaaahhh.” He yelled back.

The elevator landed with jarring impact, the doors broke open, Nosc and Bowdaar stumbled out. She looked around getting her bearings, mad droids pummeled each other and steam vented from pipes.

“Bowdaar, I don’t think we’re on the main level of Coruscant anymore.” Nosc said slowly.

“OMG, that was my kill.” Someone yelled from behind her.

Nosc turned around, a Mirialan wearing dark hooded robes stood behind her. She wielded a doublesided lightsaber and had been stealthed until now. She was looking at a body partially hidden by the broken elevator. A purple beam of light radiated from the corpse.

“Right on, loot!” Nosc exclaimed. She checked the corpse, extremely high quality modifiable boots.

The Mirialan spit on her.

“Whoa what, hey, this wasn’t my fault, for one thing I accidentally fell in that elevator, and for another I didn’t even see you.” Nosc protested.

“Yeah right, you must play wow.” She said inexplicably and disappeared.

Nosc sighed and shrugged at her companion. A small man came forward, he was an Ugnaught, he squealed to get her attention.

“That one is strange,” he squeaked, “she’s been here all day she destroys everything, farming for boots she says.”

“I see,” Nosc said feeling smug, “Where am I anyway? I feel like I’ve been here before.”

“You are in the Works.” He replied, “The Ugnaughts were sent here as part of our collaboration with the Gree, we maintain the repairs you made here.” He leaned forward and whispered, “Hib-R-ak is not a very good administrator unit; don’t tell him we said so.”

“How do I get out? The elevator is broken.”

The Ugnaught snorted unhappily. “Only one can fix the elevator, but he’s crazy. He runs this place now he calls it the Works of Ozurist.”

“I remember him,” she replied, “he was crazy. Where can I find him?”

“Playing with Thermoblast.”

“Of course,” Nosc sighed. She pulled out her comm to call Risha.

“Hurry up, I’m watching the ‘The Smuggler and the Prince of the Dead Planet.’” Risha answered.

“Risha, I’m stuck in the Works, how do I get to Thermoblast again?”

“Here I’ll send you a map.”

“This map is gibberish; it loops back on itself.”

“Do you always need a yellow marker to tell you where you need to go?”

“Yes.”

“Fine genius, just follow the yellow line.”

“Oh hey, I found some boots, should I save them to sell?”

“Let me see, oh no way girl, those are adaptive and modable, I’ve never seen red ones like that. Wear them. I have to go my shows back on.”

Nosc followed the yellow line on the map, she passed raging droids but they barely paid any attention to her, she was concentrating so hard, she almost did not hear when someone called her name.

“Uhh, Captain?” A familiar voice called.

Nosc looked up to see Corso hanging from a pipe. “What are you doing up there?”

“Well you know how I switched to a rocket pack right? I was practicing and, umm,” he looked embarrassed. “I kinda got stuck.”

“I don’t even understand why you switched.” Nosc said pulling out her blaster.

“Hey wait, don’t kill me!” Her first mate said shielding his face.

Nosc shot the pipe a few times, the broken piece that had been hanging onto Corso tore off and he fell to the ground.

“Thanks Captain,” he said still a little red-faced. “What are you doing down here?”

“Elevators broken, we’re going to find Ozurist to go fix it. You should come with us.”

“Anything you need, Captain.”

Nosc rolled her eyes and continued looking at the map. She realized she had made a wrong turn when she ran into some Imperials. “I think we went too far.” Out of the corner of her eye, she spotted something she found very interesting. A very attractive man wearing a grey and black uniform was shackled to a pipe. “Hey handsome,” Nosc said smiling, “Need a hand?”

“What?” The man said looking down his nose at her. Then he looked back up at his cuffs and changed his mind. “Why yes, that would be very kind of you, madam.”

“I don’t know boss,” Corso said frowning at the way Nosc looked. “He looks Imperial to me.”

“Who cares, he’s gorgeous.” Nosc said drawing her blaster again.

The man looked terrified, “Wait, wait! There’s a droid repair kit over there, if you just use some of the oil I could slip my hands out of these cuffs.”

“Oh fine, we’ll do it the boring way,” Nosc grabbed the oilcan and dripped some over his hands. “You’re cute when you’re terrified you know that?”

The man yanked his hands out of the cuffs, he quickly used hand sanitizer to clean off the oil, “What, oh um why thank, uh I’ll be going now.”

“Elevator’s broken.” Nosc said eyeing him as he walked away, the view from there was good too. He stopped and rubbed the bridge of his nose. “We’re going to find the repair guy, come with.”

“Boss, I don’t trust this guy, he’s Imperial.” Corso said crossing his arms.

Realizing he was stuck in the Works until the elevator was repaired and outnumbered by the Captain and her crew the Imperial officer knelt before Nosc.

“Captain Malavai Quinn, at your service, my lady. I am an Imperial, but I pledge my service to you until we can leave this place.”

“Hmm,” Nosc said purring, “While you’re down there…”

“Umm,” Quinn said panicking, “I’m actually in a relationship right now.”

“That’s ok.” She said still smiling.

“I’m not, umm not intere…”

“Oh, hey boss,” Corso said his face clearing, he whispered loudly, “I don’t think he likes women.”

“Wait, what?” Quinn said protesting.

“It’s ok, we’re all open minded here,” Nosc grinned, “Come on, let’s go.” The group continued forward.

They backtracked to the droid area; Nosc realized there was a side entrance she had missed the first time through, a pile of debris shook as they neared.

“Captain?” The voice under the pile rasped.

“Gus? Why are you hiding?”

“Umm, you sent me on a mission to get some metals and I got lost. So I thought I’d just wait, you know when you’re lost you’re not supposed to move. You’re supposed to wait until someone finds you.”

“Gus, no one was looking for you, and you're not supposed to hide when you want to be found, you could have been here forever.”

“Well, you found me didn’t you?”

“Can we get moving again?” Quinn said sounding annoyed.

“Who’s the stiff?” Gus asked looking over Quinn’s impeccable uniform.

“Captain Quinn this is Gus Tuno.”

“Hey! She’s a Captain too, you guys could discuss all kinds of Captain things together.”

“Right,” Quinn said sourly, “of course.”

“Look Captain, it’s the Thermoblast room!” Corso said running ahead. He forgot about the fire that periodically came up through the floors, he danced away only to stand on another fiery spot. He repeated this until he found himself running in a circle.

“Not the brightest, is he?” Quinn said tilting his head.

The group watched Corso run in circles failing to realize he should simply come back outside.

“I believe I have a solution,” Quinn said when he tired of watching. “You will need to shut down all four switches that vent the thermal generator. Then we will be able to make our way to Ozurist.”

The group headed to the first switch they heard the first vent close. They continued to the second switch but as the vent closed, they heard the first vent reopening. They turned to see the Mirialan flipping the switch to reopen the vent.

“Hah,” she yelled at them. “That’s for stealing my boots!” Then she disappeared.

“Aww, man,” Corso said, “She’s a griefer.”

Nosc frowned as she flipped a switch and moved on, each time she had two or three switches the Mirialan would appear and mess things up. “That’s it,” she said angrily, “there’s only one way to fight a griefer.” She turned to Gus, “Gus, go pull those Cthon on to her the next time she shows up.”

“Captain,” Gus said timidly, “I don’t want to die.”

“Gus,” Nosc said with exasperation, “We out-leveled this area a long time ago, they can’t even hit you.”

“Really?” He asked. She nodded. Trusting his captain, he walked over to a Cthon and slapped it. The slap killed it instantly. “Whhheeeeeeeeee.” He said dancing in place, “I’m powerful!”

“Right, now train them on her when she shows up.”

“You got it!” he said happily taunting the Cthon, they chased him but could not do any damage.

Nosc flipped the third switch, the Mirialan showed up and Gus brought all the Cthon over. Finally seeing a target they could attack the Cthon began pummeling the Mirialan.

“Ahh,” she yelled, “I’m reporting you for this!”

Nosc flipped the final switch and they all ran up to the control center where Ozurist waited.

“Hey, crazy, go fix the elevator.” Nosc said putting her hands on her hips.

“Thermoblast is angry, he must be appeased before I can repair anything.” The Twilek quavered.

Nosc sighed, she looked out over the Thermal generator. “What’s wrong with him now?”

“The fires no longer feed into the pipes, all of Coruscant will freeze.”

“Hey boss,” Corso said looking at the control panel and the layout of the Thermal generator. “I think if we reconfigure the auxiliary conduit to vent over to the main cathode, we can safely boost heat generation into three of the four pipes. ” He tapped out the commands as he spoke, soon the generator hummed powerfully.

The group stared at him. He shrugged grinning, “I don’t know why but the generator is almost the exact configuration as the inside of a B-206 Fusion Disruptor. It was the blaster I had right before I got Torchy, I called her Spitfire.”

“You have saved Thermoblast again,” Ozurist said bowing, “I will now fix the elevator.” The group turned to leave.

“Hey,” Nosc said looking around, “Where’s Quinn?”

“Right here, Republic scum!” He said standing on a platform, the flames of Thermoblast lighting him dramatically. “While you were toying with the generator, I was reprogramming all of the droids in the Works. I will now commence in killing you and leave this terrible place.”

The droids surrounded Nosc and the crew, there were at least fifty of them, they moved menacingly. Quinn tapped out the command, and they opened fire. The bolts splashed harmlessly on Nosc and her crew.

“Um, we out level the droids too, Quinn.” Nosc said smiling despite herself. He was so cute.

“Oh,” Quinn said writing a note to himself. Stop using droids for assassinations.

The Ugnaughts entered the room, “He reprogrammed the droids to stop fighting!” one of them squealed. The Ugnaughts converged on a terrified looking Quinn. “He will be our new leader!” They all cheered and carried him off.

Nosc was not sure what he said as they carried him away, she thought it was something like, “I could have planned that better.” She turned back to Ozurist but hey lay on the ground dead. Apparently, he did not out level the droids that fired on them.

“Now how are we going to get out of here?” Nosc said throwing up her hands. Her comm beeped.

“Hey girl,” Risha said. “My show’s on commercial, I checked out those boots you found, they’re rocket boots. You could probably jump out the elevator shaft if you wanted. Ok gotta go.”

“Now she tells me,” Nosc muttered. They walked back to the elevator shaft each using the boots then throwing them back down so the next person could get out. Nosc was the last one up, the weight and usage had worn the boots out and just as she reached the main level, they lost power and she fell. She landed hard hitting her head. Everything went black.

“Boss? Boss?” Corso said.

Nosc opened her eyes, Corso, Gus, and Bowdaar leaned over her.

“What happened?” She looked around; they were on the main level of Coruscant again.

“Elevator dropped a bit and you hit your head. You were out cold for a minute.”

“I had the weirdest dream,” she said rubbing her head. “You guys were all there, and also that cute Officer we saw in that Cantina on Balmorra.”

“That guy?” Corso said frowning, “Umm, I don’t think he liked women.”

Authors Note:

I'M SO SORRY.

There's no place like this thread. Classic. Very enjoyable read.

Dreams and Nightmares: In which Nalenne saves the world. Sith Warrior Nalenne, no plot spoilers. 1100 words.

Background: At this point in Nalenne’s timeline, Malavai Quinn is, for reasons related to Nalenne having repeatedly run him through with a lightsaber, dead. His ghostly essence is, for reasons unknown, still around, usually standing on the bridge of Nalenne’s ship, even though she really wishes he would go away.

~

Pierce caught up with Nalenne in the marketplace of the village the crew was passing through. “Milord. Word on the street is there’s a big lab outside town. Mad scientist stuff. Could have some interesting items.”

“Science is boring,” said Nalenne.

“The other word on the street is that it’s overrun with zombies in need of being killed. Again.”

“Now you’ve got my attention,” said the Sith.

Pierce led the crew to the lab, a huge grey building surrounded by dozens of uncommonly angry zombies. The resulting killing spree led them, slowly but thrillingly, into the lab itself, and down a staircase into a large subterranean room.

Just inside was some kind of apparatus involving a prodigious number of pipes, levers, glowing jars, and ominous-looking gauges. Nalenne and the crew sailed right past, laying waste to the zombie horde. Nalenne finished off the last zombie and looked around for more. But there was only one unfamiliar humanoid left upright: an old man cowering behind a barrel in the far corner.

“Oh, thank you,” said the old man. “I wasn’t sure how I was going to reach the flamethrowers to clear this place out.”

Pierce and Broonmark exchanged hopeful looks. “You’ll have to show us these flamethrowers before we go,” said Pierce.

“I was just going to test the zombie plague a little bit to be sure it worked before I shelved it with the other superweapons,” said the old man. “I’m Doctor Nasan Godera. Thanks again for saving my life.”

“Anybody who develops superweapons is a friend of mine,” said Nalenne. “Darth Nalenne, Emperor’s Wrath. Nice little operation you’ve got here.”

Before Godera could answer, a booming voice sounded from the entryway. Everyone turned to see a large man in a cape, flanked by small hunchbacked minions.

“Godera,” said the stranger. “I’ve found you at last. And,” he looked at the big apparatus, “the project you left clues about on a dozen worlds.”

“Ooh, a scavenger hunt?” said Jaesa. “That sounds like fun.”

“It all led me here,” smirked the stranger. “To the DREAM.”

“The what?” said Vette.

“The Delirium Reverie-Eating Annihilation Machine,” explained Doctor Godera. “It induces hallucinations in everyone within a ten-kilometer radius, feeds on the resulting wild emotion-induced Force fluctuations, and then blows up the planet.”

“Wow. Stylish,” said Nalenne.

“But that’s terrible!” protested Jaesa. “Godera, you’re a monster!”

Godera looked uneasy. “I didn’t think anybody was going to use it.”

“Minions!” said the stranger. “Initiate the DREAM sequence!” He cackled wildly. His minions got to work on the levers and buttons of the apparatus.

“Did you listen to the part where that’s going to kill us all?” said Vette.

“I’m fine with that. It’s a long story,” said the stranger. “I’m mostly just spiting Doctor Godera.”

“An admirable motivation,” said Nalenne.

“Except for the part where it’s going to kill us all,” reminded Vette.

The machine was purring and whining, a thousand small lights flaring to life. Quinn was looking around, evaluating escape routes. “Doctor. How long do we have before it takes effect?”

“Um,” said Doctor Godera.

“Whoa,” said Pierce. “Pretty colors.” He dropped cross-legged on the floor and fixed his eyes on nothing.

“Bbborblogggg!” squealed Broonmark. He started clawing at his own fur, scratching and shaking in an effort to get an invisible something off of him.

Jaesa started conversing quietly with nobody. She seemed upset about it.

Vette, looking suddenly cheerful, started hopping in place.

Nalenne looked to where Quinn had been standing. A large winged nekghoul grinned toothily at her. She felt a warm rush of hatred.

“My lord,” said Quinn, “Being dead and incorporeal, I appear to be immune to the delirium, but I cannot deactivate the machine. I need you to work with me.”

“Silence, beast!” She drew her lightsaber, flourished it, and attacked.

“My lord! Are you listening?”

Nalenne, not comprehending in the slightest, kept up her attack. Her lightsaber passed harmlessly through him.

“This planet and everyone on it will be obliterated if you don’t listen to me for once in your life, my lord.”

“Hey, Nalenne? I think you should listen to him,” said Vette.

“Wait,” said Quinn. “You can understand me?”

“Well, yeah. I mean, you look like a big kitten, but otherwise you make total sense.”

“You must help me. We need to deactivate the machine. I can talk you through what’s likely to work, I just need your hands.”

Vette giggled happily. “I don’t have hands, silly.” She waved her hands. “See?”

Pierce, smiling dreamily, pointed at invisible things floating in the air.

“Die already!” yelled Nalenne. She shoved Vette out of the way and commenced another vicious offensive against Quinn. He looked put upon.

Broonmark rolled around on the floor, swatting wildly. “BBBRRRRRRBZZZ.”

A while later Nalenne stilled her lightsaber and glared at the big nekghoul she was seeing. “You just don’t die, do you? You kind of remind me of my ex-husband.” Then, snarling, she redoubled her efforts. “I will end you.”

“I thought we were on better terms than that by now,” said a concerned Quinn.

“So…pretty…” said Pierce happily, and commenced some kind of one-person clapping game.

Jaesa was in tears, still arguing with nothing.

“I really can’t reason with you, can I,” said Quinn.

“I’ll kill you, monster!”

“Right,” said Quinn resignedly. “I am a scary monster and I need killing. Rawr.” He led Nalenne across the room and stepped into the great plexisteel heart of the machine.

“Don’t taunt me! You won’t get away so easy!” Nalenne gave chase, carving into the machine with singleminded fury. “I hate you! I hate you!”

Vette giggled. “Just like old times, huh, captain?”

“Oh, shut up,” said Quinn.

Some critical power conduit in the machinery finally blew. Quinn moved slowly, continuing to lead Nalenne’s frenzied offensive through the guts of the machine. There was a burst of light, a shower of sparks, a long sad powering-down sound, and then everyone blinked and looked around.

Jaesa sniffled and wiped her eyes. Vette stopped distractedly waving her lekku. Broonmark sat up and grumbled. Pierce stood up and looked unaccountably guilty. Nalenne hopefully jabbed at Quinn, but her lightsaber still had no effect on him.

“A kitten?” said Quinn, frowning at Vette.

“Hm. Let’s never speak of this again,” said Nalenne.

“Oh, I’m speaking of it,” said Vette. “The look on Quinn’s face the whole time was beautiful.”

Quinn scowled. “Listen to your master.”

“Or you’ll, what? Rawr me to death?”

Nalenne blinked. “He said ‘rawr’?”

“Yup.”

“Okay, you can speak of that part again. Otherwise let’s all just forget this.”

“Master, we need to bring Godera to justice before he can unleash another superweapon,” said Jaesa.

“That’s no fun,” said Nalenne, but she looked around. Both Godera and his mysterious enemy were gone.

Broonmark’s four eyes winked a pattern equivalent to a frown. “Rrrrrglorble.”

“Can we go?” said Quinn.

“We loot the flamethrowers first,” said Pierce. “He definitely said something about flamethrowers.”

Edited by bright_ephemera

Dreams and Nightmares: In which Nalenne saves the world. Sith Warrior Nalenne, no plot spoilers. 1100 words.

Background: At this point in Nalenne’s timeline, Malavai Quinn is, for reasons related to Nalenne having repeatedly run him through with a lightsaber, dead. His ghostly essence is, for reasons unknown, still around, usually standing on the bridge of Nalenne’s ship, even though she really wishes he would go away.

~

Pierce caught up with Nalenne in the marketplace of the village the crew was passing through. “Milord. Word on the street is there’s a big lab outside town. Mad scientist stuff. Could have some interesting items.”

“Science is boring,” said Nalenne.

“The other word on the street is that it’s overrun with zombies in need of being killed. Again.”

“Now you’ve got my attention,” said the Sith.

Pierce led the crew to the lab, a huge grey building surrounded by dozens of uncommonly angry zombies. The resulting killing spree led them, slowly but thrillingly, into the lab itself, and down a staircase into a large subterranean room.

Just inside was some kind of apparatus involving a prodigious number of pipes, levers, glowing jars, and ominous-looking gauges. Nalenne and the crew sailed right past, laying waste to the zombie horde. Nalenne finished off the last zombie and looked around for more. But there was only one unfamiliar humanoid left upright: an old man cowering behind a barrel in the far corner.

“Oh, thank you,” said the old man. “I wasn’t sure how I was going to reach the flamethrowers to clear this place out.”

Pierce and Broonmark exchanged hopeful looks. “You’ll have to show us these flamethrowers before we go,” said Pierce.

“I was just going to test the zombie plague a little bit to be sure it worked before I shelved it with the other superweapons,” said the old man. “I’m Doctor Nasan Godera. Thanks again for saving my life.”

“Anybody who develops superweapons is a friend of mine,” said Nalenne. “Darth Nalenne, Emperor’s Wrath. Nice little operation you’ve got here.”

Before Godera could answer, a booming voice sounded from the entryway. Everyone turned to see a large man in a cape, flanked by small hunchbacked minions.

“Godera,” said the stranger. “I’ve found you at last. And,” he looked at the big apparatus, “the project you left clues about on a dozen worlds.”

“Ooh, a scavenger hunt?” said Jaesa. “That sounds like fun.”

“It all led me here,” smirked the stranger. “To the DREAM.”

“The what?” said Vette.

“The Delirium Reverie-Eating Annihilation Machine,” explained Doctor Godera. “It induces hallucinations in everyone within a ten-kilometer radius, feeds on the resulting wild emotion-induced Force fluctuations, and then explodes the planet.”

“Wow. Stylish,” said Nalenne.

“But that’s terrible!” protested Jaesa. “Godera, you’re a monster!”

Godera looked uneasy. “I didn’t think anybody was going to use it.”

“Minions!” said the stranger. “Initiate the DREAM sequence!” He cackled wildly. His minions got to work on the levers and buttons of the apparatus.

“Did you listen to the part where that’s going to kill us all?” said Vette.

“I’m fine with that. It’s a long story,” said the stranger. “I’m mostly just spiting Doctor Godera.”

“An admirable motivation,” said Nalenne.

“Except for the part where it’s going to kill us all,” reminded Vette.

The machine was purring and whining, a thousand small lights flaring to life. Quinn was looking around, evaluating escape routes. “Doctor. How long do we have before it takes effect?”

“Um,” said Doctor Godera.

“Whoa,” said Pierce. “Pretty colors.” He dropped cross-legged on the floor and fixed his eyes on nothing.

“Bbborblogggg!” squealed Broonmark. He started clawing at his own fur, scratching and shaking in an effort to get an invisible something off of him.

Jaesa started conversing quietly with nobody. She seemed upset about it.

Vette, looking suddenly cheerful, started hopping in place.

Nalenne looked to where Quinn had been standing. A large winged nekghoul grinned toothily at her. She felt a warm rush of hatred.

“My lord,” said Quinn, “Being dead and incorporeal, I appear to be immune to the delirium, but I cannot deactivate the machine. I need you to work with me.”

“Silence, beast!” She drew her lightsaber, flourished it, and attacked.

“My lord! Are you listening?”

Nalenne, not comprehending in the slightest, kept up her attack. Her lightsaber passed harmlessly through him.

“This planet and everyone on it will be obliterated if you don’t listen to me for once in your life, my lord.”

“Hey, Nalenne? I think you should listen to him,” said Vette.

“Wait,” said Quinn. “You can understand me?”

“Well, yeah. I mean, you look like a big kitten, but otherwise you make total sense.”

“You must help me. We need to deactivate the machine. I can talk you through what’s likely to work, I just need your hands.”

Vette giggled happily. “I don’t have hands, silly.” She waved her hands. “See?”

Pierce, smiling dreamily, pointed at invisible things floating in the air.

“Die already!” yelled Nalenne. She shoved Vette out of the way and commenced another vicious offensive against Quinn. He looked put upon.

Broonmark rolled around on the floor, swatting wildly. “BBBRRRRRRBZZZ.”

A while later Nalenne stilled her lightsaber and glared at the big nekghoul she was seeing. “You just don’t die, do you? You kind of remind me of my ex-husband.” Then, snarling, she redoubled her efforts. “I will end you.”

“I thought we were on better terms than that by now,” said a concerned Quinn.

“So…pretty…” said Pierce happily, and commenced some kind of one-person clapping game.

Jaesa was in tears, still arguing with nothing.

“I really can’t reason with you, can I,” said Quinn.

“I’ll kill you, monster!”

“Right,” said Quinn resignedly. “I am a scary monster and I need killing. Rawr.” He led Nalenne across the room and stepped into the great plexisteel heart of the machine.

“Don’t taunt me! You won’t get away so easy!” Nalenne gave chase, carving into the machine with singleminded fury. “I hate you! I hate you!”

Vette giggled. “Just like old times, huh, captain?”

“Oh, shut up,” said Quinn.

Some critical power conduit in the machinery finally blew. Quinn moved slowly, continuing to lead Nalenne’s frenzied offensive through the guts of the machine. There was a burst of light, a shower of sparks, a long sad powering-down sound, and then everyone blinked and looked around.

Jaesa sniffled and wiped her eyes. Vette stopped distractedly waving her lekku. Broonmark sat up and grumbled. Pierce stood up and looked unaccountably guilty. Nalenne hopefully jabbed at Quinn, but her lightsaber still had no effect on him.

“A kitten?” said Quinn, frowning at Vette.

“Hm. Let’s never speak of this again,” said Nalenne.

“Oh, I’m speaking of it,” said Vette. “The look on Quinn’s face the whole time was beautiful.”

Quinn scowled. “Listen to your master.”

“Or you’ll, what? Rawr me to death?”

Nalenne blinked. “He said ‘rawr’?”

“Yup.”

“Okay, you can speak of that part again. Otherwise let’s all just forget this.”

“Master, we need to bring Godera to justice before he can unleash another superweapon,” said Jaesa.

“That’s no fun,” said Nalenne, but she looked around. Both Godera and his mysterious enemy were gone.

Broonmark’s four eyes winked a pattern equivalent to a frown. “Rrrrrglorble.”

“Can we go?” said Quinn.

“We loot the flamethrowers first,” said Pierce. “He definitely said something about flamethrowers.”

I have tears, literal tears. Thank you!! Although you do realize though that when my SW grows up and meets Quinn she's going to have to say rawr to him every now and again. It has to happen.

Rawr!

Pilgrimage

chiss IA Crezelle, vector, certain voss worldboss.

Allegy warning: may contain traces of nuts, gore, fluff, and spoilers

Sleep did not come easy.

There had been rumours circulating about her network of allies she often joined for small force operations of a supernatural evil appearing near an artefact in a voss field. The locals dared not go near the field any more out of fear. Local diplomatic powers had posted a huge reward for the defeat of this beast in order to help sway the voss people towards the empire. Ever since Imperial Intelligence had dissolved, Crezelle had to find operations wherever she could to keep her crew well paid and well supplied. Many a time she had banded together with others in her position; Bounty hunters, rogue sith lords, other disentangled agents, and many a time they had gone out on single contract missions like this. Even as one of the team medics fighting in the back lines, it was overwhelming. Even with protective items suggested by the voss shamans, the aftermath of the fight had left her emotionally ragged. The shamans on voss were expectedly at awe that her and her friends had vanquished the fiend, but warned that a dark power loomed over them, and would persist for days. Crezelle shrugged it off, despite having already been witness to many supernatural occurrences on that planet.

As soon as she returned to the ship, her crew knew something was wrong. It was common to see her run ragged and wounded physically, but she still would retain a cheery, confident disposition, spent, but satisfied with herself. This time she unceremoniously skulked into the lobby, dragging her feet like a broken down slave carrying supplies down the same route it had taken for years before, and would continue to for years to come. Her body still had energy to it, but her mind was bogged down to the point where thinking beyond the simplest of tasks was labouring. At the insistence of Lokin, she allowed herself to be scanned and treated for what minor wounds she sustained . Immediately she went to her quarters to rest.

As soon as her eyes closed, she was there again. Golden earth, golden sky. Phantom incarnations of her friends danced around a towering beast and it's sinister handler. In this reality, her and her friends sustained wounds that normally would be physically impossible to continue fighting, or even surviving. Limbs torn and bent askew, blood and viscera flowing infinitely to the ground from exaggerated wounds. She heard the drumming of a giant gun pelting her endlessly full of holes, but she still fought. No matter what her and her friends wrought onto the foes, and whatever was in turn wrought on them, the fight would not stop. She tried to use her kolto, but the injectors would miss, or come out malfunctioning. She began to spit out teeth and blood. She heard the humanoid figure taunt her in a harsh, alien tongue, gesture with a hand that had the flesh flayed off it with a friend's light sabre, and the beast leapt on her.

She jolted up in her bed, heart pounding in her ears, still hearing echoes of the demon's gunfire. She tried again to fall asleep, but fear kept her awake. Why was she so afraid? She excelled in controlling her fear in training. Was it really because of her encounter with that beast? She could barely remember the fight now, except for vivid recollections of fear and confusion. Now she sat, alone, huddled under her sheets, scared and alone, her spirit a shell of what it normally is. She tried remembering what the shamans had said to her. They said the darkness would fade, but it would take many days. She needed sleep before that time.

She tried hard to focus her thoughts and trouble shoot a solution to her problems, but nothing came. Just the urge to seek comfort from that fear that still nipped at her heels in the back of her mind, like a jackal on a weakened hart.

Vector slept silently in his room. Neither one of them were ready to come out to the rest of her crew about their relationship, Crezelle saying she feared anyone having knowledge of her involvement with him would leave him at risk at the hands of any one of a number of enemies she had made as an emotional weak point of hers. She promised some day soon, at least the crew would know, as it was becoming unbearable having to find any sizeable ammount of time alone with him on the sly. Kaliyo could care less about how often she was given credits and told to take a weekend off, but the others were starting to question all the times they were also sent off ship.

A small voice in his head woken him. Drowsily he opened one eye to find a small killik fingerling inches from his face.

It chattered, bobbed it's abdomen up and down, and flicked it's limbs and antennae in communication. Crezelle, his mate, his wife, was outside his door, and had asked it to waken him to let her in his quarters.

Immediately he got up, concerned. As soon as he sensed her back on the ship, something was very wrong. Her bright, confident aura normally would radiate and dance playfully, but at that moment it was pale, ragged, worn, a metallic note reminiscent of blood tainted it. He had tried to approach her on it, but Lokin took her into his lab before he had a chance, and immediately after she had secluded herself in her room. He opened the door, and in front of him she stood, sheepishly averting her gaze. Her aura quivered close to her skin in timidness. He smelled fear.

" I don't know how to say this without sounding like a child..... but i can't sleep. Bad dreams. I... uh... Could i just hang out here for awhile? I Don't care right now if the crew finds me here in the morning. Whatever happened back on voss has left me emotionally and mentally drained. All i need now is someone close to keep my mind still. You radiate such calmness when you meditate, and... i feel safe near you. You.. don't mind do you?"

It took all of his diplomatic training in tact and self control not to grin. As seriously offset and uneased as she was, to see the steel resolved, fierce heroine of the old intelligence in her nightgown, looking up pleadingly like a child after a nightmare was rather ironically adorable. He stepped aside from the doorway, and looked around the hallway behind her as she walked in to make sure nobody had witnessed this. Even if they had, he was sure he could explain it some way or another.

Still looking sheepish, Crezelle slipped into one side of the single bed, trying her best to get comfortable, but still leave room for it's proper owner. Immediately she was comforted by the bed that had been pre-warmed with his body heat, surrounded by his familiar scent.

Vector made sure she was comfortably nestled in before he in turn settled himself in. Her aura's colour was coming back, and she certainly looked a lot more at ease. He reached out and smoothed a loose lock of deep blue hair behind her ear, and she smiled at him. She scooted over, nestled herself snugly against him, sighed, closed her eyes and relaxed her whole body.

He smiled back. He too tried to relax, but it was difficult. He was not used to being in such close contact with this woman he loved, and the times he was, were times of passion. His body remembered this association well, and reacted to her presence, her skin against his, her scent, her scent alone was enough to drive him to the point of begging helplessly some days, and she LOVED it when she drove him to that point. He narrowed his eyes and pursed his lips in apparent frustration at the situation. Now was NOT the time for this, and he needed sleep too.

He tried meditating in order to distract his mind and body, when he felt and heard her stir. Her face twitched slightly as her eyes fluttered under their lids. Her aura hissed and he smelled fear. Whatever haunted her before was back. How he wished he could touch her mind like his joiner comrades. She was elsewhere, and he did not know if he could reach her in the land she now was in. Gently he squeezed her closer to him, and, as quietly and gently as he could as to not wake her, he whispered.

" We are here, you are not alone. We WILL protect you. We love you. You are in our arms, and you are safe."

He kissed her forehead and kept whispering reassuringly to her for several moments longer until her body stilled, and her aura became calm once again, like an ocean storm immediately clearing. He smiled, and finally, sleep came to him as well.

Author's notes

i have seriously had dreams where i have tried to kill things, and they would be pummeled to the point of being unreconiseable, and still would weakly get up and move. i have had dreams where bone shards from broken limbs would endlessly migrate out the wounds, and blood spill endlessly...... so sorry if the nightmare got vivid x.x

i never have finished NP, but i often wanted to just so i could headcanon my agent getting some TLC from her honeybee :3

i still can hear that gunfire of the pilgrim, and him mocking us in his tongue from the one attempt i tried

Edited by Crezelle

Pilgrimage

Sleep did not come easy.

There had been rumours circulating about her network of allies she often joined for small force operations of a supernatural evil appearing near an artefact in a voss field. The locals dared not go near the field any more out of fear. Local diplomatic powers had posted a huge reward for the defeat of this beast in order to help sway the voss people towards the empire. Ever since Imperial Intelligence had dissolved, Crezelle had to find operations wherever she could to keep her crew well paid and well supplied. Many a time she had banded together with others in her position; Bounty hunters, rogue sith lords, other disentangled agents, and many a time they had gone out on single contract missions like this. Even as one of the team medics fighting in the back lines, it was overwhelming. Even with protective items suggested by the voss shamans, the aftermath of the fight had left her emotionally ragged. The shamans on voss were expectedly at awe that her and her friends had vanquished the fiend, but warned that a dark power loomed over them, and would persist for days. Crezelle shrugged it off, despite having already been witness to many supernatural occurrences on that planet.

As soon as she returned to the ship, her crew knew something was wrong. It was common to see her run ragged and wounded physically, but she still would retain a cheery, confident disposition, spent, but satisfied with herself. This time she unceremoniously skulked into the lobby, dragging her feet like a broken down slave carrying supplies down the same route it had taken for years before, and would continue to for years to come. Her body still had energy to it, but her mind was bogged down to the point where thinking beyond the simplest of tasks was labouring. At the insistence of Lokin, she allowed herself to be scanned and treated for what minor wounds she sustained . Immediately she went to her quarters to rest.

As soon as her eyes closed, she was there again. Golden earth, golden sky. Phantom incarnations of her friends danced around a towering beast and it's sinister handler. In this reality, her and her friends sustained wounds that normally would be physically impossible to continue fighting, or even surviving. Limbs torn and bent askew, blood and viscera flowing infinitely to the ground from exaggerated wounds. She heard the drumming of a giant gun pelting her endlessly full of holes, but she still fought. No matter what her and her friends wrought onto the foes, and whatever was in turn wrought on them, the fight would not stop. She heard the humanoid figure taunt her in a harsh, alien tongue, gesture with a hand that had the flesh flayed off it with a friend's light sabre, and the beast leapt on her.

She jolted up in her bed, heart pounding in her ears, still hearing echoes of the demon's gunfire. She tried again to fall asleep, but fear kept her awake. Why was she so afraid? She excelled in controlling her fear in training. Was it really because of her encounter with that beast? She could barely remember the fight now, except for vivid recollections of fear and confusion. Now she sat, alone, huddled under her sheets, scared and alone, her spirit a shell of what it normally is. She tried remembering what the shamans had said to her. They said the darkness would fade, but it would take many days. She needed sleep before that time.

She tried hard to focus her thoughts and trouble shoot a solution to her problems, but nothing came. Just the urge to seek comfort from that fear that still nipped at her heels in the back of her mind, like a jackal on a weakened hart.

Vector slept silently in his room. Neither one of them were ready to come out to the rest of her crew about their relationship, Crezelle saying she feared anyone having knowledge of her involvement with him would leave him at risk at the hands of any one of a number of enemies she had made as an emotional weak point of hers. She promised some day soon, at least the crew would know, as it was becoming unbearable having to find any sizeable ammount of time alone with him on the sly. Kaliyo could care less about how often she was given credits and told to take a weekend off, but the others were starting to question all the times they were also sent off ship.

A small voice in his head woken him. Drowsily he opened one eye to find a small killik fingerling inches from his face.

It chattered, bobbed it's abdomen up and down, and flicked it's limbs and antennae in communication. Crezelle, his mate, his wife, was outside his door, and had asked it to waken him to let her in his quarters.

Immediately he got up, concerned. As soon as he sensed her back on the ship, something was very wrong. Her bright, confident aura normally would radiate and dance playfully, but at that moment it was pale, ragged, worn, a metallic note reminiscent of blood tainted it. He had tried to approach her on it, but Lokin took her into his lab before he had a chance, and immediately after she had secluded herself in her room. He opened the door, and in front of him she stood, sheepishly averting her gaze. Her aura quivered close to her skin in timidness. He smelled fear.

" I don't know how to say this without sounding like a child..... but i can't sleep. Bad dreams. I... uh... Could i just hang out here for awhile? I Don't care right now if the crew finds me here in the morning. Whatever happened back on voss has left me emotionally and mentally drained. All i need now is someone close to keep my mind still. You radiate such calmness when you meditate, and... i feel safe near you. You.. don't mind do you?"

It took all of his diplomatic training in tact and self control not to grin. As seriously offset and uneased as she was, to see the steel resolved, fierce heroine of the old intelligence in her nightgown, looking up pleadingly like a child after a nightmare was rather ironically adorable. He stepped aside from the doorway, and looked around the hallway behind her as she walked in to make sure nobody had witnessed this. Even if they had, he was sure he could explain it some way or another.

Still looking sheepish, Crezelle slipped into one side of the single bed, trying her best to get comfortable, but still leave room for it's proper owner. Immediately she was comforted by the bed that had been pre-warmed with his body heat, surrounded by his familiar scent.

Vector made sure she was comfortably nestled in before he in turn settled himself in. Her aura's colour was coming back, and she certainly looked a lot more at ease. He reached out and smoothed a loose lock of deep blue hair behind her ear, and she smiled at him. She scooted over, nestled herself snugly against him, sighed, closed her eyes and relaxed her whole body.

He smiled back. He too tried to relax, but it was difficult. He was not used to being in such close contact with this woman he loved, and the times he was, were times of passion. His body remembered this association well, and reacted to her presence, her skin against his, her scent, her scent alone was enough to drive him to the point of begging helplessly some days, and she LOVED it when she drove him to that point. He narrowed his eyes and pursed his lips in apparent frustration at the situation. Now was NOT the time for this, and he needed sleep too.

He tried meditating in order to distract his mind and body, when he felt and heard her stir. Her face twitched slightly as her eyes fluttered under their lids. Her aura hissed and he smelled fear. Whatever haunted her before was back. Gently he squeezed her closer to him, and, as quietly and gently as he could as to not wake her, he whispered.

" We are here, you are not alone. We WILL protect you. We love you. You are in our arms, and you are safe."

He kissed her forehead and kept whispering reassuringly to her for several moments longer until her body stilled, and her aura became calm once again. He smiled too, and finally, sleep came to him too.

Author's notes

i have seriously had dreams where i have tried to kill things, and they would be pummeled to the point of being unreconiseable, and still would weakly get up and move. i have had dreams where bone shards from broken limbs would endlessly migrate out the wounds, and blood spill endlessly...... so sorry if the nightmare got vivid x.x

i never have finished NP, but i often wanted to just so i could headcanon my agent getting some TLC from her honeybee :3

i still can hear that gunfire of the pilgrim, and him mocking us in his tongue from the one attempt i tried

Incredibly sweet Vector! I love it. Melted right through. I honestly have a hard time seeing Vector love the Agent as much in Joiner form as he does when he suppresses it. I need to get my mind changed and this goes a long way to doing so. I have a good grasp on Vector in all ways but romantic. He can say he loves the Agent, but I see him distant. That's why I haven't written anything that has him together with Brei'yu.

I like this Vector better than mine. I need to watch his romance again to see what you see.

Incredibly sweet Vector! I love it. Melted right through. I honestly have a hard time seeing Vector love the Agent as much in Joiner form as he does when he suppresses it. I need to get my mind changed and this goes a long way to doing so. I have a good grasp on Vector in all ways but romantic. He can say he loves the Agent, but I see him distant. That's why I haven't written anything that has him together with Brei'yu.

I like this Vector better than mine. I need to watch his romance again to see what you see.

theres tons of vector worship fics on tumblr i found, and many of them see what i see too :D ( some of them wouldn't be fit for forums >.> what, theyre still very tastefull and insightive! )

but to get a full insight on him, youd need to run the agent with him out and nobody else for the cutscenes/ area drabbles :3

Edited by Crezelle

theres tons of vector worship fics on tumblr i found, and many of them see what i see too :D ( some of them wouldn't be fit for forums >.> what, theyre still very tastefull and insightive! )

but to get a full insight on him, youd need to run the agent with him out and nobody else for the cutscenes/ area drabbles :3

I just spent the last hour discovering the swtor fandom on tumblr. I wish I knew how that site worked...

My Op is running with him since she can heal. My sniper ran with Kaliyo most of the time. So I haven't seen all Vector has to say passed Taris yet. Thanks for the heads up, I'll keep him with Brei the whole time.

Since the order of the Dream-day is over-the-top crack fic or love stories, and I already have an entry for the first…Sith Warrior Ruth, implicit Warrior Act 3 spoilers. 850 words.

After their encounter on Dromund Kaas, Ruth reapproached Quinn cautiously. Dinner now and then, when work permitted. Careful, noncommittal conversations. A polite avoidance of why they were on speaking terms again at all. She didn’t know his reasons. Nor did she ask herself why she wanted to see him.

They never talked about the subject that had separated them for so long. They had each rehearsed that conversation so many times over the last fifteen years, saying it now to each other seemed redundant. Nothing could be changed, nothing soothed, nothing erased. At the same time, some unexpected things can coexist with anger. There developed an odd warmth in discussing the here and now, their campaigns, their son, an increasing number of insignificant day-to-day details. Weeks turned into months. During most meetings they tried not to pick fights, even the tempting ones, and that made things pleasant: like getting to know a friendly stranger, except each happened to already know the other stranger’s likes, dislikes, ambitions, weaknesses (which they avoided most of the time) and strengths (which they encouraged most of the time). They knew what distance to keep, what not to talk about, what not to put too much faith in. It was far from the heat Ruth had tried to stop dreaming of. But what they had was nice.

She told Quinn that last part on his way out the door one night. “And after careful consideration,” she informed him, “I think I have come to approve of your continued existence.”

“I should be flattered?” he said. He didn’t look displeased.

“You should. I think it’s past time we declared a formal truce. Don’t you?”

He nodded. “Truce, my lord.”

“Ruth,” she corrected.

He picked up on the undercurrent in her tone. When he hesitantly reached out, she took his hand. All of a sudden he pulled her close, burying his nose in her hair for a long moment before answering. “Ruth.”

Finally. Yes. This. She tucked her head under his chin and spoke to his collar. “Tell me it’s fifteen years ago and you want me to love you.”

“I regret to report that it is not fifteen years ago. And it has been a long, long time since I imagined you could love me.”

“You’ve gotten very bad at following orders.”

“I apologize. I want you to love me. The other part remains factually incorrect.”

“The other part doesn’t matter.”

In the past they had been fierce and frantic every time, she because she was nineteen and in love for the first time, he because, she could only imagine, he already knew it would have to end.

Now they were cautious, deliberate, unsure of the familiar roads. There were new scars, new hesitations, a thousand changes, each muscle and curve slightly different from what they remembered. They could navigate, though, slowly, carefully. They had learned patience.

Not that that could make her forget the other half of her feelings. She took a long moment, once they were finished, just to hold him; and then she gave in to her doubts. “It was good?” she whispered.

“Yes,” he said. He stroked her sides, nuzzled her hair. “Yes.”

“I’m glad. Now get out.”

He froze. “What?”

She sat up and tugged a corner of the sheet up to cover herself. “Get out. I won’t sleep while you’re here.”

“Ruth…”

“I like you. I want you. I don’t trust you.” She decided against saying something cruel about how he had no right to complain about surprise changes in terms. “Don’t make me make this an order. Just go, sleep elsewhere, and we’ll talk later.”

He looked her in the eye. “No.”

She had no idea how to react to that.

“I won’t leave you again,” he said.

Malavai, she didn’t say. I am not safe with you, she didn’t say. If I fall asleep with you here I don’t know what I’ll wake up to, and most importantly if I let you stay you’ll see how completely, how hopelessly, how foolishly I love you, even after all this time, even after everything. If you stay I am lost, and I am terrified of what you will do when you realize that. She didn’t say.

He touched her hand, very gently, and looked up at her. “I won’t leave you again,” he repeated.

She tried to look calm while she lay back down and allowed him to gather her in his arms. “Stay, then.” She hoped he couldn’t feel her shaking.

Once, she knew, he would have given a speech. He would have laid out policy, sought official guidance, and offered extravagant reassurances that might or might not be outright lies. This time, though, he just pulled her close. The gradual calming of his heartbeat lulled her to sleep.

She woke up when he started and tensed. It was still dark. She scrambled to where she could meet him eye to eye. “Am I dreaming again?” he asked.

“No.” She could be sure of that. “This dream always hurt a lot more, at least for me.”

He nodded thoughtfully. “You’re right. It did.”

“I’m here.” She kissed his forehead. “Go to sleep.”

They slept.

Notes:

Yes this is my other fWar/Quinn. Well, my first, technically, since Nalenne of the DREAM weapon (rawr) was my second to be created. I don’t have a problem. I can stop any time I want.

Anyway, Ruth called it correctly way back when she said she would go to her grave loving him (and could say so in the middle of wildly, furiously hating him). Inadvisable ex-backsliding is such an incredibly volatile thing, even in relationships where the water under the bridge doesn't have quite this much blood in it; I'm not really sure how the next few months are going to go for Ruth. Excitingly, I guess, whatever else it may be.

Pilgrimage

Her bright, confident aura normally would radiate and dance playfully, but at that moment it was pale, ragged, worn, a metallic note reminiscent of blood tainted it.

Have I ever mentioned I love your aura descriptions? Because I love your aura descriptions.

Dreams/Nightmares

What Dreams May Come

JK

Author's Note:

well, it was Scourge, lol.

Fun fact: That is a legally admissible defense in thirty-seven per cent of the galaxy's jurisdictions. The other sixty-three percent would probably benefit from being conquered and put in their place. I mean...it's Scourge.

Dream within a dream

JK chapter 2 spoilers

She laughed, it was rich and soulful, a laugh that rang from the gut, and shook her whole body. He had a sardonic grin on his face, his punch line having caused the outburst. She looked back at him, his eyes sparkled with wit and mischief, and something more. Regaining her composure she threw her arms around him and pulled him into a kiss. The kiss was wrong, against the rules, but her heart said it was right, that the rules were wrong, that a kiss couldn’t lead to what they said it could. His face faded from view, the smile fading, he looked worried.

She was on a snow swept mesa, gentle flakes fell around her, the music filled her soul up and her body moved with the frozen droplets. She danced, her hands reached to the sky, her legs and toes pointed, her body bending and moving, getting caught in a spin, her legs pumped, and she went around, sweeping the snow from the ground and mixing it with the snow falling around her. The dance was wrong, it was against the rules, but her heart said it was right, it was no different from when she practiced her forms she argued. It stirs up too much passion, too much emotion they countered. She danced in secret.

The locket spun in the sunlight, gems blinking in the light. She opened it and stared at the smiling faces, faces she loved, faces that were important to her. They were her family, she missed them, they had stopped writing, and her heart hurt. The attachment was wrong, against the rules, it was for the best, she could focus on her training. She searched for them anyways.

Kianna woke, held her head. The room was still dark but he was there, he was always there, testing her, challenging her, watching her, and waiting.

“What did you dream of?” he asked in his darkly rich voice.

“I dreamt of…”She felt embarrassment, shame.

“Speak Acolyte.” He commanded, though not harshly, he was never harsh, not like the overseer.

“I dreamt of, love, and dancing.” She replied, avoiding his red gaze.

“Do you dance?” He sounded almost surprised.

“I did, but the Jedi frowned upon it.”

“Yet you continued?” How did he know?

“yes.”

He nodded, satisfied with her answer.

“Come.”

"Yes my Lord Scourge." She obeyed and followed him out into the metal halls eager to meet her next challenge, the dark side curling around her, like a lover.

Fun fact: That is a legally admissible defense in thirty-seven per cent of the galaxy's jurisdictions. The other sixty-three percent would probably benefit from being conquered and put in their place. I mean...it's Scourge.

Well of course, anything else would be...foolish :)

Btw, your Ruth and Quinn was so sweet and real, and I teared up a bit.

The trust thing is just...how do you get past that?

I'm looking forward to seeing how this goes.

Earthmama! Yay for more Scourge stories!!

Dream within a dream

JK chapter 2 spoilers

She laughed, it was rich and soulful, a laugh that rang from the gut, and shook her whole body. He had a sardonic grin on his face, his punch line having caused the outburst. She looked back at him, his eyes sparkled with wit and mischief, and something more. Regaining her composure she threw her arms around him and pulled him into a kiss. The kiss was wrong, against the rules, but her heart said it was right, that the rules were wrong, that a kiss couldn’t lead to what they said it could. His face faded from view, the smile fading, he looked worried.

She was on a snow swept mesa, gentle flakes fell around her, the music filled her soul up and her body moved with the frozen droplets. She danced, her hands reached to the sky, her legs and toes pointed, her body bending and moving, getting caught in a spin, her legs pumped, and she went around, sweeping the snow from the ground and mixing it with the snow falling around her. The dance was wrong, it was against the rules, but her heart said it was right, it was no different from when she practiced her forms she argued. It stirs up too much passion, too much emotion they countered. She danced in secret.

The locket spun in the sunlight, gems blinking in the light. She opened it and stared at the smiling faces, faces she loved, faces that were important to her. They were her family, she missed them, they had stopped writing, and her heart hurt. The attachment was wrong, against the rules, it was for the best, she could focus on her training. She searched for them anyways.

Kianna woke, held her head. The room was still dark but he was there, he was always there, testing her, challenging her, watching her, and waiting.

“What did you dream of?” he asked in his darkly rich voice.

“I dreamt of…”She felt embarrassment, shame.

“Speak Acolyte.” He commanded, though not harshly, he was never harsh, not like the overseer.

“I dreamt of, love, and dancing.” She replied, avoiding his red gaze.

“Do you dance?” He sounded almost surprised.

“I did, but the Jedi frowned upon it.”

“Yet you continued?” How did he know?

“yes.”

He nodded, satisfied with her answer.

“Come.”

"Yes my Lord Scourge." She obeyed and followed him out into the metal halls eager to meet her next challenge, the dark side curling around her, like a lover.

I really like the way you did the dream part here. Repeating the phrases for each sequence so it reads a little bit like poetry. Very nice.

Prompt: Dreams and Nightmares

Title: The Road Taken: Nightmare of a Reluctant Sith

Characters: Varrel Umrahiel, Sith Marauder.

1500 words. Less obnoxious than some of my other stuff

Like Bright, I had this episode in mind when I suggested the prompt. I have a bunch of stuff written for him…but not this. Go figure. I will say that it was interesting to conceive of and play this character as old in a storyline that presumes he’s much younger. For example, I imagine the ‘love triangle’ evolving between Varrel, Quinn, and Jaesa (with Quinn attracted to Jaesa, as he is to the F!Warr), rather than as written with Varrel, Vette, and Jaesa. It just makes more sense to me that way. And at some point I’ll have to post his version of “the incident” with Quinn, since we’ve had so many from the F!Warr perspective.

Not that that has anything to do with this story.

And I apologize for ruining the love story slash silliness vibe.

It had been a pleasant neighborhood once, Varrel thought, as he walked along the ceramacrete paving blocks lining the street. But the bombing hadn’t been kind to it. Broken trees stood sentinel at the front of cratered yards. Their scorched limbs reached toward heaven as though beseeching a heartless god for mercy. The remnants of houses huddled behind them, most missing roofs or walls or both. And in between, ruined gardens, the remains of once well tended shrubs and plants. All now burned, churned, covered in dust and soot and powdered bits of the homes they once attended. There was nothing left here.

And yet, it was somehow familiar. Balmorra, perhaps? Or Corellia? Varrel didn’t recall visiting residential areas on either planet, though they must have existed. He stopped and looked up. Brown clouds roiled in a yellow sky. A column of smoke rose from a fire somewhere distant. A planet under Imperial occupation. A planet that resisted, and suffered the consequences. Its name hardly mattered.

He continued along the broken street. He looked to the right and left but he saw no beings here of any species. Not even animals. And he could not shake the feeling that he knew this place. Knew it before it became a warzone. Something needling; a riddle he knew by heart and yet could not recognize in translation.

As he crested a low rolling hill, he remembered. Those trees. Their shape. The curve of the road as it rounded the bend, and the color of the broken house on the far side of it. This was his homeworld. This had been his neighborhood. He lived in that house with the soft yellow walls and the dark green roof tiles.

The only life he sensed in this entire desolate landscape lay within the crumbled ruin of his home. Varrel jogged ahead. His boots crunched the gravel on the familiar path to his front door. He gently pushed the door open—it was not locked—and stepped into his house.

The front may have been in decent repair, considering, but it was little more than a façade. The rear walls of the house and most of the interior partitions were gone. He could see straight through to the back garden. There was the pond where he and his children and grandchildren had fed the fish. A dented cooking pot sat on a stone beside it. A length of rope was tied to one handle, the other end fastened to a twisted stump.

Varrel picked his way through the ruin. He reached what had been the great room and paused, glancing at the light filtering in through the damaged roof. He heard a footstep behind him and spun, drawing both sabers without hesitation. Their familiar green glow cast eerie double shadows behind him.

It was a middle-aged man with a blaster trained on the intruder. He had a vibrosword at his side. “Get out of my house, Sith,” he snarled, “You’ve done enough. Leave us in peace.”

Varrel blinked, “Valho?” he asked. His son was thinner than he remembered and his hair was more grey than brown now. Varrel relaxed his stance, “Don’t you know me?” he asked.

The man gestured with the blaster, “Just get the hell out of my house. There’s nothing for you here.”

“This was our house, Valho,” replied Varrel, “What happened?”

Valho glowered, “Like you have to ask. You people took over.”

“We were a protectorate,” Varrel objected, “The transition was a peaceful one. There was no need for—“

Valho scoffed, “Listen to you. ‘We.’ Pretending to know me. Spare me your false interest, Sith, it doesn’t suit you.”

“Of course I know you, Valho, you’re my son,” Varrel said with a frown. He sensed rather than saw others peeking out from the passage that had once led to bedrooms.

Valho never wavered, “My father is dead. Go back to Dromund Kaas.”

“On the contrary, I am very much alive,” Varrel said.

“My father is long dead,” repeated Valho.

“You are mistaken,” said Varrel. He slipped around toward the garden to see who was in the hallway, “Is Mina here? Or little Nenand? I’d like to see them,” he said.

Valho blocked his path, “Stay away from them, monster!” he shouted. He fired a shot. Blue plasma streaked toward Varrel. He deflected it without thinking and it returned on Valho, striking his left shoulder.

“No!” cried Varrel, “Valho, I—“

“You’ll not have them, demon!” shouted Valho. With a desperate cry he set the blaster on automatic and held the trigger. Varrel moved to block the fusillade as he had before. But his sabers were gone. In his right hand he held an iron-studded club. In his left was a bundle of th0rny branches. Regardless the bolts rebounded until Valho could no longer maintain the attack. He sank to his knees with a groan. The useless blaster spilled from his grasp.

Varrel heard screams and crying from the hallway behind. He dropped his strange weapons and ran to Valho’s side. “I did not wish to hurt you, Valho,” he said.

Valho gave a derisive snort, “From you…means nothing,” he gasped.

“They’ll be safe, I swear it,” said Varrel.

“Run,” Valho croaked. He slumped to the floor.

There was the sound of footsteps in the hallway. Varrel rose and ran toward the space, “Mina?” he called, “Nenand? Anyone, please?” The iron club and thorn bundle were once again in his hands. “You can come with me, it’s safe.” He heard a squeal of terror and more retreating footsteps. Varrel plunged into the darkened hallway, glancing into empty rooms as he passed them.

He burst through the door to the final room. There they were, crowded together in the corner. Mina, his daughter-in-law and Reka his wife held a collection of the family between them in their arms. Varrel saw Emil and Nenand, Orina and Raluca, even Vashutarl, who’d come with him to—

To Dromund Kaas.

Who’d died there.

Varrel stared in disbelief. Vashutarl was dead. Reka was dead; he’d gotten official notice ages ago when still an acolyte. The overseers had not permitted him leave to attend her funeral. Now Valho was dead when he should be alive, and the rest of them fled from him as though he were evil incarnate. He took a step toward them. They screamed; he saw tears running down the faces of the younger children, carving clean channels through the refugee grime. And then he caught a glimpse of his reflection in the mirror behind them.

His head was a misshapen lump. A pair or thick twisted horns emerged from a tangle of spiky black hair. Tusks thrust out of his lips. Where his eyes should have been were orbs of flickering flame. He was hunchbacked and hideous, skin an unnatural hue between rotten stone and swampwater. And there, clutched in his clawed hands, was the damning iron club and the bundle of th0rny branches. He was Sorrahi, the bogeyman, the demon who punishes bad children, steals them, takes them away and eats them. He screamed and put his hands over his face. When he took them away he was in the street again outside the house. There was no sound but the wind.

“You don’t need them, dear,” he heard Jaesa say. He turned around. Behind him was a gaunt-slender woman with slick ebony hair and a cloak of dark feathers. Luti-Baya, the witch, the evil stepmother, the bad queen of a hundred fairytales. She extended one bird-claw, yellow-scaled hand to him. Her jackdaw eyes blinked, “Come now, we have each other,” she said in Jaesa’s voice.

Varrel Umrahiel woke with a start, sitting upright in the bed with a denial on his lips. Jaesa stirred beside him and murmured something unintelligible. He set one hand on her shoulder and whispered, “Sleep.” Jaesa pulled the sheets around her and her breathing settled into a restful rhythm. Varrel withdrew and stared at his hand. It had no claws. His skin wasn’t the color of rot and decay. Though even in the dim light of his quarters he knew it wasn’t truly its proper shade and hadn’t been in some time. There would be no more sleep for him tonight.

Varrel rose and dressed, avoiding reflective surfaces. He emerged into the ship’s common room. All he could hear was the thrum of the hyperdrive and the soft susurration of the environmental system. He walked to the empty bridge. The random light of the hyperspace vortex splashed haphazard patterns over the control surfaces. He’d heard old spacer’s tales about the vortex. That staring too long into the chaos of hyperspace would drive a person mad.

Varrel Umrahiel took a seat at the right forward station and watched the lights play.

Notes:

This is much later in the story than some of the other things I’ve posted for this character. By this point he knows he’s a bad guy. That he’s done some truly awful things. And that, given the option, he’d make the same choices. But…he’s not like the other sith. He’s not a monster. Right?