What the hell do people mean by an "honest opinion"?

VioletZero

I've seen this term thrown around a lot lately in regards to SWTOR and I'd like to know. What the hell do people mean by an "Honest Opinion."

Are you implying that other opinions are dishonest? Are people going to lie to you and tell you that it is better or worse than it really is?

Violet, we're all compulsive liars. Those who give their "honest opinions" are apparently the only ones trustworthy enough to break said compulsions.

Or rather, they feel that by adding "honest" to "opinion" they negate stigma attached to the fact that their opinion is about to be a negative one in hopes that people will receive it better. This approach always backfires.

You don't need to tell me that you aren't trolling. The content of your "opinion" should suffice for seeing whether or not you're a troll.

For example,

Not troll: "I find the end game content to be lacking and some of the crafting professions to be useless."

Troll: "This game will close or go F2P by the end of the month."

Edited by VioletZero

Their lying!! I know it!! and its all a goverment plot!! There hiding cards up there sleeves!! Has something behind their backs!! Damn dishonest liars!!

They're, their, there. These are 3 different words with different meanings. Figure it out.

Their lying!! I know it!! and its all a goverment plot!! There hiding cards up there sleeves!! Has something behind their backs!! Damn dishonest liars!!

Someone needs to go back to school to learn the difference between they're, their, and there.

They're, their, there. These are 3 different words with different meanings. Figure it out.

Someone needs to go back to school to learn the difference between they're, their, and there.

Christ guys, lay off.

We all knew what he meant.

Edited by VioletZero

You never know. I tend to give those folks the benefit of doubt and extrapolate that whenever they give an opinion but don't qualify it with "honest," they are full of it. :)

Seriously though, I think they often are preparing folks for a longer than usual post but don't want people to comment without reading. Poor language usage in any case. (Oh, my. I made that mistake too.)

For the Grammar Queens, did you understand what the person said even with the grammatical errors? Yes? Then why bother commenting?

In my HONEST OPINION, all it does is make you look silly if all you can do is critique grammar instead of content.

*edit* And we all know the (cough) English Language is a cluster ****** mish mash of several languages.

Edited by Saitada

It makes me rage. I can't help it. Like when a baby is crying at the movies... I just imagine their body as a football and I'm ready to punt that mofo.

Thats ok, Once when i was at the movies, a little girl was crawling around the seats a barking.

I've seen this term thrown around a lot lately in regards to SWTOR and I'd like to know. What the hell do people mean by an "Honest Opinion."

Are you implying that other opinions are dishonest? Are people going to lie to you and tell you that it is better or worse than it really is?

Because some people do not have an honest opinion based on what they REALLY believe but rather what is either the popular opinion to have at the moment or it is not really their opinion to begin with.

For example:

If I come to this forum and say I hate Bioware.

Everyone attacks me and say they love Bioware.

Then I change my opinion of Bioware to, "I love Bioware" to go along with what I feel is the majority consensus.

You never know. I tend to give those folks the benefit of doubt and extrapolate that whenever they give an opinion but don't qualify it with "honest," they are full of it. :)

Seriously though, I think they often are preparing folks for a longer than usual post but don't want people to comment without reading. Poor language usage in any case. (Oh, my. I made that mistake too.)

This actually seems more likely the case.

People seem to be confusing "honest" opinion with a critical one. Which is a lot a different. The pattern with "honest" opinion threads isn't that they're all negative, but that they're all really detailed. I've seen both positive and negative "honest" opinion threads.

You don't have to tell me that you're honest, I believe you when you say that you do or don't like the game.

In a nutshell people say that when they don't like some aspects of the game... Fair enough I understand not everyone is going to like it as much as me.

But its the full on trolls that piss me off. In another thread some guy has actually said that WoW has a better story. I know I shouldn't feed clear trolls but damn I was baited into that one.