Crew Skills in Game Update 1.2

CourtneyWoods

Thank goodness BW developers have all these armchair critics that comment on the forums, I shudder to think of the state the game would be in without them...

We're being asked for feedback...what would one hold back his/her thoughts ? :confused:

Edited by dnoisette

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know, they could be arrogant and believe that THEY know best. Like all the other MMO's over the last 5 or so years.

God forbid a dev should ever put themselves into a situation whereby the players actually suggest things that the devs didn't comprehend. Like a "Ready Check" button.

Oh wait.......

Whats this got to do with what I just said about all the armchair critics?

I wonder will Armourmechs, Amrstechs and Sythweavers only be able to RE orange gear as sold in stores/looted in order to obtain a 4 slot version? Or does this also apply to purple modifiable gear (Columi/Rakata) Not that as a sage I want a modifiable version of the ugly tier gear but I am wondering about the concept.

Whats this got to do with what I just said about all the armchair critics?

Obviously the point was too subtle.

MMO devs are not omnipotent gods.

They don't know everything. They don't think of everything.

And sometimes, just sometimes, the players can offer inspiration to the devs. Inspiration that can lead to ideas and thoughts they didn't concieve of before.

They are only human.

It's shocking, I know.

Edited by Tarka

The irony is, it is in Bioware's best interest to keep people doing things like FP's and Op's in order to maintain sub levels. So, that means an increase in the number of items dropping which in turn means an increase in the number of items being sold on the GTN from schematics gained from RE'ing those FP items. Potentiallly resulting an abundance of each item on the GTN. With each instance of said item looking the same.

...which is where the crafter, who has taken the time to go run lower level and heroic flashpoints in order to find in-demand schematics, comes in and puts up his orange augmented armor for sale, which looks nothing like those items but is still just as effective.

This has never been about raids and hard mode flashpoints. You seem to be under the impression that the only things crafters are getting is the ability to craft level 50 stuff. That's why you keep saying things like you'll need to raid to craft. It's NOT that.

ALL orange armor in the game is RE'able with a learnable schematic. All of it. All the way back to the starter planet. You keep saying "the same item" over and over but the appearance variation literally includes all of the armor in the game at the time. The people who take the time to go back and farm these items to learn schematics will benefit. The people who'd rather not, will pay for them.

My questions are actually fairly specific:

1. Will I be able to RE the sweet looking black and red Trooper Battlemaster armor to get one with aug slots and the ability to make more of them for both my pvp and pve sets? (I really really like that set).

2. If you RE a class or side specific item (say, for example, the chest and pants of the Sith Sorceror PvP sets) and then make new possible aug-slot versions can you then sell them on the Nar Shadda neutral GTN to yourself or others from the other side? In other words, can your dark side consular look like an inquisitor (all the best fashion designers seem to work for Team Evil lol)? On the opposite side of that, can you RE Trooper armor for example and sell the new orange versions to Bounty Hunters that like the look better?

Edited by Mercykiller

I think I'm just gonna wait and see until the devs shed some light on all of this (hopefully sometime soon ? :D).

Anyway, skipping details, I'm glad that they seem to have listened to the community for once and I'm looking forward to some more informations on this.

...which is where the crafter, who has taken the time to go run lower level and heroic flashpoints in order to find in-demand schematics, comes in and puts up his orange augmented armor for sale, which looks nothing like those items but is still just as effective.

This has never been about raids and hard mode flashpoints. You seem to be under the impression that the only things crafters are getting is the ability to craft level 50 stuff. That's why you keep saying things like you'll need to raid to craft. It's NOT that.

ALL orange armor in the game is RE'able with a learnable schematic. All of it. All the way back to the starter planet. You keep saying "the same item" over and over but the appearance variation literally includes all of the armor in the game at the time. The people who take the time to go back and farm these items to learn schematics will benefit. The people who'd rather not, will pay for them.

We aren't going to agree on this. You have this romantic notion that with everything being moddable, then there's infinite variation. Well there is: for the buyer. Not for the crafter who is forced to make the same critted "XYZ moddable Chest item" as all the other crafters who have bought up the item from the GTN and RE'd them.

Boom, everyone can make the same items:

• No variation created from limited availability. Because ALL those fancy moddable items that are throughout the game are sitting on the GTN waiting to be bought and RE'd.
  • No variation created by the possibility of introducing variance in aesthetics during crafting involving any one schematic. Because variation in colour is put into the hands of the owner of the item, not the crafter.

Btw, you DO realise that as of 1.2 the FP and Ops gear becomes fully moddable AND RE'able don't you? Why bother running a flashpoint for gear, when you can just buy it at a low price on the GTN due to it being in abundance?

Sometimes, too much of something can be a bad thing.

I suggest we drop this conversation, neither of us is going to convince the other.

Edited by Tarka

2. If you RE a class or side specific item (say, for example, the chest and pants of the Sith Sorceror PvP sets) and then make new possible aug-slot versions can you then sell them on the Nar Shadda neutral GTN to yourself or others from the other side? In other words, can your dark side consular look like an inquisitor (all the best fashion designers seem to work for Team Evil lol)? On the opposite side of that, can you RE Trooper armor for example and sell the new orange versions to Bounty Hunters that like the look better?

Not sure about that but I have an inner feeling that won't be possible given the current design of the neutral GTN.

Edited by dnoisette

Hey,

A bunch of you have brought up the point that reverse engineering orange quest item appearances would be a risky business.

That's true - which is why we did not enable reverse engineering for these. It would be pretty frustrating for players to destroy the quest reward they worked so hard to get for a chance at being able to craft the appearance.

Instead, many of the these appearances are now available through tradeable schematics found through mission discoveries.

Another clarification regarding augment slots:

In the mid-term (e.g. past Game Update 1.2), we are planning on adding means to the game that allow you to add augment slots to equipment you already have.

So while critical crafted appearances are the only source of augment slots in Game Update 1.2., this is a temporary arrangement that will change in the future when we implement means to retrofit existing gear (including social) with augment slots (without devaluing crafters in the process).

SNIP

Btw, you DO realise that as of 1.2 the FP and Ops gear becomes fully moddable AND RE'able don't you? Why bother running a flashpoint for gear, when you can just buy it at a low price on the GTN due to it being in abundance?

SNIP

Orange crafted armor has no mods in it so that point is moot.

For the appearance. Same reason armor sells on the GTN now. You are still not understanding this. People don't want to wear the FP and Ops gear because they all look the same. They want to look how they want. That's the entire point of changing it so you can take the mods out of the high-end gear.

People will need to go to crafters in order to get the appearance that they like. Since the color system is not unlimited, but still needs to be matched to chest, there is still value in having tons of chestpieces with different colors. Same with having lightsabers with different hilt designs, and guns with different appearances as well. You'll be able to find the one you like and purchase it from a crafter who has found that appearance and RE'd it.

You keep saying "it's so easy to buy it" and then in the same breath you say "this system does nothing for crafters." Who are they buying it from then? The people that took the time to hunt down multiple copies of that appearance, RE them until they got the schematic and got the crit-crafted version.

But I agree, this is pointless, because you keep saying the same thing over again, I keep pointing out how you're wrong, and you continue posting misconceptions and things that betray you have no understanding of what's going on.

Orange crafted armor has no mods in it so that point is moot.

You missed the point.

If purple drops are RE'able, guess what's going to happen?

Orange critted versions are possibly going to appear in abundance on the GTN.

Furthermore, the purple items are becoming fully moddable. Meaning that you can extract (and presumably RE) the mods in them. Potentially causing an influx of said mods on the GTN.

Edited by Tarka

For the appearance. Same reason armor sells on the GTN now. You are still not understanding this. People don't want to wear the FP and Ops gear because they all look the same. They want to look how they want. That's the entire point of changing it so you can take the mods out of the high-end gear.

People will need to go to crafters in order to get the appearance that they like. Since the color system is not unlimited, but still needs to be matched to chest, there is still value in having tons of chestpieces with different colors. Same with having lightsabers with different hilt designs, and guns with different appearances as well. You'll be able to find the one you like and purchase it from a crafter who has found that appearance and RE'd it.

You keep saying "it's so easy to buy it" and then in the same breath you say "this system does nothing for crafters." Who are they buying it from then? The people that took the time to hunt down multiple copies of that appearance, RE them until they got the schematic and got the crit-crafted version.

But I agree, this is pointless, because you keep saying the same thing over again, I keep pointing out how you're wrong, and you continue posting misconceptions and things that betray you have no understanding of what's going on.

You are putting words in my mouth, you have been making wild assumptions about what I said, and therefore missing the point. And I'm really not interested in discussing it with you any further.

Edited by Tarka

if this go live like that will kill the game, or at least lot of people will quit ( me and everyone on my guild at least)

all the critical craft with augment thing is absurd and the worst idea possible, they could have made a buckle to add an augment in everyitem (armormech would do it for ranged weapons, synt for force armors etc) so crafter would gain someting and woldnt kill the game.

like it is now, everyone will be forced to break every item that drops with better stats( or better look, or higher prestige one, like nigthmode operations per example) and the chances to get the schematics arent 100% i think.

SO, with this nigthmare that they call a patch we will go to the new operation, something drops, we break it, and we can gain NOTHING, so we need to spend dkp again when it drops untill we get the schematic, and of course, armormech and synthweaving will be THE ABSOLUTE MUST HAVE tradeskills now, great. they nerfed biochem many times because we was forced to have it, but didnt learn nothing and they are doing the same mistake again.

short answer: we will be forced to have syntweaving or armormech so wrong here.

we will be forced to break every item that drops( since u will want to have the latest nigthmare operation gear)and it wont have 100% chance to get the schematic.

we wont change the gear never, since lvl 10 gear will be THE SAME as lvl 100000000 mega nigthmare 100people operation.

tat least the operation gear MUST HAVE the augment slot on it, so the people that et together to kill a boss and get an item can equip it, it is more fair than a lvl 10 getting that look on the auction house for money.

Some fix to this: the buckle idea like i said.

or the Look Tab,

u can do many things, but pls forget this awfull idea

Edited by prodarkwolf

You missed the point.

If purple drops are RE'able, guess what's going to happen?

Orange critted versions are possibly going to appear in abundance on the GTN.

Furthermore, the purple items are becoming fully moddable. Meaning that you can extract (and presumably RE) the mods in them. Potentially causing an influx of said mods on the GTN.

Only the Mod and the Enh NOT the Armoring that has the Teir bonus built into it, and the materials to craft those higher end mods will not be easy to come by so there wont be a huge influx of them on the market.

Let me guess your one of them elitist people who think that only people who do NM operations deserve any loot above HM fp's.

SNIP

Some fix to this: the buckle idea like i said.

SNIP

What they should of done in the first place, funny part is how they said that most players are "poor" and they give us patch 1.2 Legacy when it should be called 1.2 HUGE CREDIT SINK!!!!!!111OnEEe

Edited by Joefjr

Only the Mod and the Enh NOT the Armoring that has the Teir bonus built into it, and the materials to craft those higher end mods will not be easy to come by so there wont be a huge influx of them on the market.

Let me guess your one of them elitist people who think that only people who do NM operations deserve any loot above HM fp's.

• Players can now remove Armoring modifications from items with set bonuses and transfer those set bonuses to Custom (orange) items. These modifications can only be transferred to an item that is equipped in the same slot.
  • Some high-end item modifications are now restricted to particular item slots and may only be transferred into the same slot on a new item.

Also

• Endgame crafting materials (Biometric Crystal Alloy, Self-Perpetuating Power Cells, Alien Data Cubes, and Rakata Energy Nodes) now drop less frequently but are freely tradable.

Drop less, but freely tradable. Meaning sellable too.

And finally:

• Players may now reverse engineer many endgame items to research schematics for items and mods. Tier 2 (new) endgame items can be reverse engineered, and players have a chance to learn how to craft these items up on reverse engineering them. Set Armorings do not provide schematics for crafters.
  • Players with the appropriate professions are now able to reverse engineer random drop items and acquire materials from them. This includes Operation materials from endgame items.

Granted, the armouring mods aren't craftable. Fair enough. But the gear is still becoming fully moddable.

Btw, your guess is incorrect.

Edited by Tarka

SNIP

You quoting them was pointless i know that, you do realize that point of all this is we can look how we want and gear stats how we want. Whats wrong with that? They are making every thing more accessible to every one whats wrong with that?

Edited by Joefjr

You quoting them was pointless i know that, you do realize that point of all this is we can look how we want and gear stats how we want. Whats wrong with that?

See my previous posts. I'm done here.

Edited by Tarka

Man they added some character customization options and improved the usefulness of some of the crew skills and people are crying about it? Get a grip people.

Perhaps those who are showing concern actually have a better "grip" on the situation than you think.

See my previous posts. I'm done here.

U MAD BRO? sorry if i but hurt you...actually I'm not

lol did you read my previous post? guess not...

Perhaps those who are showing concern actually have a better "grip" on the situation than you think.

Nope they are the same people who left WoW cause they made it easier for the casual game, and i hope they leave this to.

Edited by Joefjr