How To Make Ranked Less Toxic - Plz Daddy Musco

flashcoopbrant

I agree with this. The OP seems to be saying that they will consciously choose not to be toxic once new players are sectioned away or come back at a level deserving of their approval - which is, in itself, toxic on so many levels.

The toxicity isn't the fault of the under geared or new player (which people forget can be mutually exclusive). It's the fault of certain ranked players with a false sense of superiority.

Understandable, but it's a two way street. Why are these new players jumping straight into ranked without gear or threshold skill level? Being new to higher skilled ranked games is one thing, but being new to ones abilities, other classes abilities, overall game awareness, high paced PvP..... (all of this btw does not even begin to mention the players that que just for matts, rewards, tokens, gear, and have little to no regard for getting better)

Ranked is harder game mode. This has nothing to do with superiority, it is just the matter of fact. You can get by in heroics only press three buttons, you can wipe as many times as you want on PvE bosses, you can play regs objs with little regard to actually killing players. But in ranked you need to utilize all your tools, an ability that is only capable at a threshold skill level, to avoid getting blown up. Because if you are not prepared for ranked, if you are not yet at that threshold skill level, if you are getting blown up on a regular basis, then you are costing your teammates.

If that is the case maybe...... just maybe........... consider heeding the (while toxic, probably not wrong) advice of your teammates, and go back to regs. Some skills should be learned in regs before attempting ranked. Some players are at that level where they are good, not great, but are ready to learn by continuing to que ranked. Others are not.

So if you go into ranked with little regard to how you affect your teammates, if you enter ranked without knowing basic elements of the game, if you are just not good enough for ranked, then expect the toxicity. I have little pity for you. You are furthering your own interests at the expense of your three teammates. The players shouldn't be toxic, but you shouldn't be there.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with this. The OP seems to be saying that they will consciously choose not to be toxic once new players are sectioned away or come back at a level deserving of their approval - which is, in itself, toxic on so many levels.

The toxicity isn't the fault of the under geared or new player (which people forget can be mutually exclusive). It's the fault of certain ranked players with a false sense of superiority.

My point exactly toxic is not learning to play toxic is pro player whining like *****es

Players who become toxic with their teammates because they are lacking skill, gear, experience are not grounded in reality. Your toxicity is only hurting yourself, your team and your community. No one cares if a grown man or woman throws a tantrum over a video game. Infact its laughable. The most intriguing aspect is that in a system built to be random and diverse where any and everyone is not just allowed but encouraged to participate the stereotypical toxic elite pvper thinks in their immature brain that they are some how the gate keepers creating superficial standards that must be met before you can join them in the realm of ranked. As if someone spends their dime on a sub and time in game strictly to appease you...the toxic. LoL. If you que anything you will potentially have to deal with toxic elitist keyboard warrior weirdo cry babies and on the flip side if you are the prior you will at some point encounter noob, bad, or Im just here for the free Tshirt players. Its the way it is and probably how it will always be. Get over it.

This is the beauty of the win requirements at work. I think the reason ratings are so much lower mainly has to do with placement games having less impact and not allowing people to get lucky with a high rating.

Yeah, AKA match manipulating. It's pretty easy to cheat for rating when all a player used to need is to wintrade 10-20 matches.

Now with a wins requirement, it's not quite as simplistic.

Was the whole reason I supported any sort of wins requirement for ranked, that will eliminate the easy cheating that has been plaguing ranked since it's inception.

Having any sort of rating system is stupid when the ratings are based off a tiny sample size like 10-20 matches. At least they finally added this feature. That being said, "too little too late" comes to mind.

Understandable, but it's a two way street. Why are these new players jumping straight into ranked without gear or threshold skill level? Being new to higher skilled ranked games is one thing, but being new to ones abilities, other classes abilities, overall game awareness, high paced PvP..... (all of this btw does not even begin to mention the players that que just for matts, rewards, tokens, gear, and have little to no regard for getting better)

Ranked is harder game mode. This has nothing to do with superiority, it is just the matter of fact. You can get by in heroics only press three buttons, you can wipe as many times as you want on PvE bosses, you can play regs objs with little regard to actually killing players. But in ranked you need to utilize all your tools, an ability that is only capable at a threshold skill level, to avoid getting blown up. Because if you are not prepared for ranked, if you are not yet at that threshold skill level, if you are getting blown up on a regular basis, then you are costing your teammates.

If that is the case maybe...... just maybe........... consider heeding the (while toxic, probably not wrong) advice of your teammates, and go back to regs. Some skills should be learned in regs before attempting ranked. Some players are at that level where they are good, not great, but are ready to learn by continuing to que ranked. Others are not.

So if you go into ranked with little regard to how you affect your teammates, if you enter ranked without knowing basic elements of the game, if you are just not good enough for ranked, then expect the toxicity. I have little pity for you. You are furthering your own interests at the expense of your three teammates. The players shouldn't be toxic, but you shouldn't be there.

Your assumption that these people don't know how to play, despite having a level 75 character, is the exact thing I am referring to when calling out the OP. They are a player, just like you, and yet you somehow feel like YOU are the gatekeeper. YOU are the one who's advice they 'should' listen to. YOU are the one who is making things difficult, and not just by saying who you think should and "shouldnt be there." There is no such thing as being 'reasonably toxic' or 'toxic for the greater good.'

I see this mentality all the time and it's just outright disgusting. How many games have you thrown with /stuck, poor sportsmanship, or a bad attitude, just because you didnt like your teammates?

Edited by TitusOfTides

I feel like as a whole people have become to toxic in ranked we have a lot of new players and it forces them to choose between be emotionally belittled and possibly quitting or suffering the abuse of the older players. There’s also a lot of things you can only get from ranked like crystals etc... and a lot of people want those with no other means to obtain them. As a result it forces people into an environment they wouldn’t normally be in and then people wounded why you have newbies jumping in

I feel like as a whole people have become to toxic in ranked we have a lot of new players and it forces them to choose between be emotionally belittled and possibly quitting or suffering the abuse of the older players. There’s also a lot of things you can only get from ranked like crystals etc... and a lot of people want those with no other means to obtain them. As a result it forces people into an environment they wouldn’t normally be in and then people wounded why you have newbies jumping in

Its an old boys club made up of what I imagine are 14 year old boys or underdeveloped adults. I see a lot of people get vote kicked or ganged up on every match because people just dont like them.

Best thing to do imo is get rid of ranked altogether. If people unsub because of it, you'll only lose like 10 accounts anyways.

Edited by TitusOfTides

You cant "get rid of" ranked, thats not the answer, but, the ranked community needs to take a hard look at itself and ask why more people arent trying it. The game has had a resurgence of sorts of late, but the ranked community hasnt benefited due to the usually sunny disposition and some of its more vocal contributes.

Getting rid of it is certainly not the answer in any reality, but it needs to do a better job or promoting itself and developing new players rather than just trying to farm them or telling them to GDIAF.

In short it remains its own worst enemy.

It isnt about people getting more think skinned or being able to "handle criticism"... its about not being a tard that requires it. Both sides of that coin are true, but only one of them is under the communities control.

You cant "get rid of" ranked, thats not the answer, but, the ranked community needs to take a hard look at itself and ask why more people arent trying it. The game has had a resurgence of sorts of late, but the ranked community hasnt benefited due to the usually sunny disposition and some of its more vocal contributes.

I will agree that the kicking on Star Forge was out of control for a while, though I think it's improving somewhat. I speak out against it as much as I can, but there's only so much I can do. There are some people that just want to kick people that are undergeared or bad. I reserve kicking only for people that are actually trolling the queue (such as people in 270 gear and krell's accord that say things like "my gear is fine, you all just suck" and keeps queueing over and over, ruining games).

There needs to be a big disclaimer somewhere in game that says you should not queue ranked without a full set bonus and relevant tactical. It is unacceptable for people to queue up in greens and ruin the competitive nature of ranked for everyone else. I'm not saying that necessarily justifies kicking them, and it doesn't justify the harassing kind of toxicity. But I will absolutely tell those people to stop queueing, because they ruin games.

It is not their "right" to play ranked as a subscriber either. I'll provide an analogy I've used before. Someone showing up in ranked in 270 gear is like someone showing up to play basketball in a three piece suit. And when you pass them the ball, they proceed to punt it at the basket and scream "I have as much a right to play in this pick up game as all of you!" Such a person shouldn't be playing basketball until they put on the proper attire and learn that they need to shoot with their hands (and ideally practice shooting on their own). The same goes for people wanting to play ranked. Get properly geared and practice in regs until you actually know your class.

Edited by JediMasterAlex

It is not their "right" to play ranked as a subscriber either. I'll provide an analogy I've used before. Someone showing up in ranked in 270 gear is like someone showing up to play basketball in a three piece suit. And when you pass them the ball, they proceed to punt it at the basket and scream "I have as much a right to play in this pick up game as all of you!" Such a person shouldn't be playing basketball until they put on the proper attire and learn that they need to shoot with their hands (and ideally practice shooting on their own). The same goes for people wanting to play ranked. Get properly geared and practice in regs until you actually know your class.

I like your analogy and agree with your main point, although I think it is a little off, which is why others will probably criticize your analogy. For that reason I offer a revision of your analogy:

Someone showing up in ranked in 270 gear is like someone showing up to play basketball in a three piece suit. And when you pass them the ball, they proceed to punt it at the basket and scream "I have as much a right to play in this pick up game as all of you!" Such a person has every right to play in the pickup game, but will most likely be disliked by the players on his/her team. This will lead his/her teammates to not want to play with him/her. Just like he/she has the right to play in the basketball game, other players have a right not to play with him/her. And since this is pickup basketball, the one player will find himself without teammates and ultimately excluded from the basketball games.

Every player has the right to que for solo ranked. But if you are "that guy" then you will quickly find yourself disliked by your teammates, and on a whole the general community that que solo ranked that will inevitably be your teammate at some point.

But then again... sports metaphor with gamers. who knows how far it will go.

Edited by septru

Such a person has every right to play in the pickup game, but will most likely be disliked by the players on his/her team.

I see your point with this, but it depends on how literal we're being. Sure, technically they have a right to play if they're valor 25. But seriously, how do you think real people would react if someone showed up in a suit and started kicking a basketball at the hoop? They wouldn't just dislike that person, they wouldn't let them play at all until they learned the basics of the game. You have to meet a bear minimum level of competence before playing something like ranked, which includes gearing of course.

But seriously, how do you think real people would react if someone showed up in a suit and started kicking a basketball at the hoop?

Nicely because this is just a game and we are here to have fun together and winning or losing doesn't matter nor affect your life in any way!

This is nor your job nor the way you earn your money so there is really no point in being aXXhole? Keep it real I would understand if this is a football game and you earn your salary with it or this is the Olympics and you have been training all your life to accomplish something... this is just a game get over it.

If people really cannot be nice, help and have fun with the newer players "because" of a so-called ranked and request the new players to "not join it" well then it should just be removed as previously suggested.

Edited by Pekish

I would agree there is no reason for people to be as big as D-bags as they are some time because really they get nothing out of it and if they’re only source of validation in life is ranked then it’s kinda sad and they need some serious soul searching.

But seriously, how do you think real people would react if someone showed up in a suit and started kicking a basketball at the hoop?

The whole dynamic of ranked that you compared to a pick up basketball game is so far off base I can't even begin to express in words how incomparable your analogy is. Maybe you never played basketball, or any other organized sport?

Firstly, people entering ranked with lesser gears and lesser skills would be more like someone showing up with bad shoes and an awful jump shot. I played basketball and been on many courts in my lifetime. Speaking from experience here.

When we had bad players come along who wanted in, we played with them... We didn't mock them or yell at them to "uninstall" and humiliate them. No, actually we tried to put the bad players evenly on the teams to start with, and typically the best player guards the best player on the other team. This is how bad players get better, btw. They practice and play with players who are better than themselves. I had many friends that began with ZERO basketball skills who years later were able to dribble and even shoot half decently just from our skirmishes on the court.

To go a little further, imo the toxicity stems from the fact you got immature anonymous people in these matches who then vent and rage on other anonymous people who have no way to retaliate or defend themselves from the unfair treatment. All this is in my eyes is BW failing at supervising their ranked matches, and people failing at showing others common civility due to the anonymous nature of this online game.

Nicely because this is just a game and we are here to have fun together and winning or losing doesn't matter nor affect your life in any way!

Winning is what makes competitive gameplay fun...

Let's get this straight. You're playing a pickup game in the park. Both teams are playing hard, trying to win, and having fun playing basketball. Then comes the dude in the suit kicking the ball. He totally ruins the game, and ruins the fun. And you're just going to be happy with that? Have you ever done anything competitive?

If people really cannot be nice, help and have fun with the newer players "because" of a so-called ranked and request the new players to "not join it" well then it should just be removed as previously suggested.

Posts like this show a fundamental misunderstanding of what ranked is. It is not a care bear environment where people get their hands held and are "nice" to each other. It's competitive, and it's fun because it's competitive. If you want happy care bear time, play veteran flashpoints or rp, ranked isn't for you.

Whenever I make posts like this I feel obligated to add that I'm politically liberal so as not to be mistaken for something I'm not

All this is in my eyes is BW failing at supervising their ranked matches

I see this as a problem in our modern society expecting other people to monitor our aXXhole behavior

you can't blame others if someone is a jerk because they "allow" him to be a jerk, They can blame BW for balance for lag for the hutball vent not working... you cannot blame them if people act like a moron and they "allow" it

they let us free to an extent with freedom came responsibility we are responsible to act like a decent human being. It would be very very sad if they would force it on us to "behave"

Firstly, people entering ranked with lesser gears and lesser skills would be more like someone showing up with bad shoes and an awful jump shot. I played basketball and been on many courts in my lifetime. Speaking from experience here.

No. This part of my analogy is perfect. You clearly don't understand how bad some of the people queueing ranked are, and the gap between how they play and average ranked gameplay. Part of what makes my analogy so good is that no one ever tries to join a pickup game and kick the ball, because that would be ridiculous. Joining ranked with no gear or experience is similarly ridiculous.

When we had bad players come along who wanted in, we played with them... We didn't mock them or yell at them to "uninstall" and humiliate them. No, actually we tried to put the bad players evenly on the teams to start with, and typically the best player guards the best player on the other team. This is how bad players get better, btw. They practice and play with players who are better than themselves. I had many friends that began with ZERO basketball skills who years later were able to dribble and even shoot half decently just from our skirmishes on the court.

I'm not talking about merely bad players though. You clearly didn't follow my analogy very closely. I'm talking about fundamentally unqualified participants...like someone trying to kick a ball into the hoop while wearing a suit. Get it now? Those are the kinds of people queueing for ranked in greens.

To go a little further, imo the toxicity stems from the fact you got immature anonymous people in these matches who then vent and rage on other anonymous people who have no way to retaliate or defend themselves from the unfair treatment. All this is in my eyes is BW failing at supervising their ranked matches, and people failing at showing others common civility due to the anonymous nature of this online game.

The people failing to show common civility are those that ruin a competitive activity for other people. If anything, anonymity is shielding the people queueing in greens. They would never show up to a basketball game in a suit, because that would obviously be ridiculous. But because it's "just a game bro" they selfishly feel they can ruin other people's fun for their own amusement or gain.

Edited by JediMasterAlex

And what if the player who shows up in full 306 augmented and people still troll them simply because they suck, no the environment isn’t supposed to be a carebear tickle party but heather is it supposed to be a hostile and toxic environment for me plays to learn and Adapt to something which they will do far quicker if allowed to play in an environment demands a higher level skill, Without all the trolling and toxicity that goes along with it. There’s a difference between being competitive and being a douche it’s called sportsmanship.

And what if the player who shows up in full 306 augmented and people still troll them simply because they suck, no the environment isn’t supposed to be a carebear tickle party but heather is it supposed to be a hostile and toxic environment for me plays to learn and Adapt to something which they will do far quicker if allowed to play in an environment demands a higher level skill, Without all the trolling and toxicity that goes along with it. There’s a difference between being competitive and being a douche it’s called sportsmanship.

I agree. Some ranked players do cross the line. Some players have full gear and can play to a minimum level, and other people still want to kick them constantly from games just because they perceive them as bad. Hell, some people that are good, experienced ranked players get kicked just because others don't like them. That stuff is reprehensible, and I speak out against it whenever I see it.

I see this as a problem in our modern society expecting other people to monitor our aXXhole behavior

you can't blame others if someone is a jerk because they "allow" him to be a jerk, They can blame BW for balance for lag for the hutball vent not working... you cannot blame them if people act like a moron and they "allow" it

they let us free to an extent with freedom came responsibility we are responsible to act like a decent human being. It would be very very sad if they would force it on us to "behave"

It's a game. There are rules on all games. When game rules are broken, you need the players to be punished. Expecting competitors to maintain proper behavior in competitive environments has been proven pretty much impossible.

At the same time, I'd put money on the fact that if all the players were in a room together, you'd see a lot more nice and far less toxicity. It's mostly just because of anonymity truth be told.

The majority of the ranked players proclaiming it's justified behavior here treating lesser skilled players like garbage who do this wouldn't do it to other player's faces if they were face to face. It's just cowardly childish behavior.

The game does have a responsibility to hold it's players responsible, although I agree people should have the decency to do so themselves but that's not reality.

Edited by Lhancelot

It's a game. There are rules on all games. When game rules are broken, you need the players to be punished. Expecting competitors to maintain proper behavior in competitive environments has been proven pretty much impossible.

Keep in mind, the most toxic person that played ranked on Star Forge recently got permanently banned. There are conflicting reports about whether it was just due to toxicity or if there was some wintrading/cheating involved, but still.