Why are you people always attacking the toughest targets?

Bhemont

Why is everyone that I group with either attacking separate targets, or the toughest ones? Is it in their mindset that this is the best solution? As a Tank, every time I join a group of PUGs I end up having to explain to them, please kill the weakest one first and then the stronger ones. But they don't listen, and the healer and tank have to struggle a bit.

It's not terrible, it doesn't lead to wipes in normal mode, but oh man are these folks going to have hard time in heroics later, and in their class stories and solo. :rak_01:

I noticed the same thing to some extent. When I joined a guild recently and started grouping with them I even told them I like to kill weakest first and they where cool with that. CC the toughest ones if possible and bash the weak things first.

You can talk until you are blue in the face, this will not change.

My main is a healer I love getting in groups when dps uses the right kill order, it is a pleasure to heal and I will pass on all gear when they are doing that. When I get in a group where I have to kill the weaks and strongs since they are too important to belittle themselves in attacking such a inferior target, I greed everything.

When I dps HMFPs, I use the kill order. I cannot count the number of times I have been whispered to by healers thanking me for that and them also saying how great my dps is. Either they are lying or don’t dps themselves, because I play as a Infiltration spec shadow, my dps is terrible, but more than enough to kill weaks in 1 hit and strongs in 3 or less hits So it looks good if people don’t know what will happen if the fight goes over 5 mins. :p

Edited by mikebevo

Maybe when they say your a great dps it´s not that you do über dps. It´s that you kill stuff in the right order. To me that´s a great dps. One that will cc and reaply cc if needed, has situational awareness and helps the healer when he/she gets agro.

A dps who jumps in and start nuking away, i´ll begin healing him when he has lost agro. If he dies thats his own fault. If the tank decides to save the triggerhappy dps then fine, but i´m not healing dps "tanks"

Why is everyone that I group with either attacking separate targets, or the toughest ones? Is it in their mindset that this is the best solution? As a Tank, every time I join a group of PUGs I end up having to explain to them, please kill the weakest one first and then the stronger ones. But they don't listen, and the healer and tank have to struggle a bit.

It's not terrible, it doesn't lead to wipes in normal mode, but oh man are these folks going to have hard time in heroics later, and in their class stories and solo. :rak_01:

i go after the toughest target on my mara because i know i can kill it in a couple seconds, your dealing with undergeared people...

In some cases you can only use certain attacks if you've already used a different attack on the same target. If you're dealing with a guardian dps, they're simply trying to maximize DPS output and get a working rotation going.

If you're dealing with gunslinger DPS, Commandos, Vanguards, etc., then you have a very good point.

No, I rarely join up with Guardian DPS classes, mainly because I'm playing as one. It's not that I don't like Guardian DPS, it's just that, usually when they see me, they refuse to join.

Anyway, this seems to get better with time, the higher the level the more organized the group seems to be. Not always, but it's better.

I might be alone in this, but <50 flashpoints are easy enough that I actually prefer when people screw up pulls. Makes things more interesting, especially as a healer/tank. I like being forced to use cooldowns I wouldn't normally use.

(That doesn't mean that I don't correct people... I still want to help them become better players and all that stuff. )

Edited by Stenrik

Generally, its people either misunderstanding the direction to "attack the tank's target", DPS who don't like 'wasting' set up on trash or people who are under the assumption that taking out the biggest target early makes things easier. It never ceases to amaze me when DPS that are clearing HM EC/TFB ignore the trash and focus on the elite yet I see it all the time.

IMO the worst offenders are:

- Sentinels and Marauders ("Me kill big thing now")

- Gunslingers and Snipers, especially Lethality/DF ("I don't like wasting DoTs" or "I'm a single target DPS")

- Shadows and Assassins ("I don't like wasting DoTs" or "I can get bigger numbers if I attack your target")

While I agree with the above poster that its more fun healing when people aren't doing what they're supposed to, its also really annoying as the tank. Almost on par with people KBing mobs away from me or taunting off me.

i go after the toughest target on my mara because i know i can kill it in a couple seconds, your dealing with undergeared people...

This is exactly what we are talking about.. the typical Mara/Sentinel mentality.. "I do more damage than n00bs, I kill 'em good. I dont need no stinking tank, I will tank this myself!" Exactly the type that I let die and laugh when they cry about the bad healers.

I think there are people who have the philosophy that the big guy is smacking you in the head w/a sledgehammer and the little guys are just bees stinging you. So the best bet is to get the big guy out of the way first. Get him out of the way and you can deal w/the smaller guys in 2 seconds. I always target the adds first even in solo play. Just a habit I got into.

No. You can't kill that elite faster than you can kill the strong. Remove the low-hp strong's damage from the equation, then work your way up. As a healer and a tank, I would appreciate it.

You can talk until you are blue in the face, this will not change.

My main is a healer I love getting in groups when dps uses the right kill order, it is a pleasure to heal and I will pass on all gear when they are doing that. When I get in a group where I have to kill the weaks and strongs since they are too important to belittle themselves in attacking such a inferior target, I greed everything.

When I dps HMFPs, I use the kill order. I cannot count the number of times I have been whispered to by healers thanking me for that and them also saying how great my dps is. Either they are lying or don’t dps themselves, because I play as a Infiltration spec shadow, my dps is terrible, but more than enough to kill weaks in 1 hit and strongs in 3 or less hits So it looks good if people don’t know what will happen if the fight goes over 5 mins. :p

Same situation for me: main is healer, alt is infiltration shadow. Since my DPS is usually down compared to other classes, I have to play smarter to make up for it. :w_cool:

Especially great is when they go after the tough targets and leave the medics alone.

I play a Scoundrel and if I don't ask for it atthe beginning of a FP I never get the chance to CC with my tranq. Doesn't cause wipes, but it sure puts a strain on my healing. Too bad I can't let a DPS die on purpose (My personal skillcheck: Noone died=I healed well).

Too bad I can't let a DPS die on purpose (My personal skillcheck: Noone died=I healed well).

When I'm healing, I take it as a point of pride when I can explicitly refuse to heal someone (even refusing to use AoE heals) and still keep everyone else alive (i.e. I succeed when everyone I want to keep alive stays alive, rather than just keeping everyone alive). I've actually done this a few times when a DPS or a tank were pissing me off (some just by being annoying, others by simply being bad players) only to be called a "bad healer" when the rest of the group just laughs and points out that they've never dropped below 90% hp and haven't even seen me use an AoE heal at all, even on AoE intensive fights. I've actually gotten a few of these people to actually stop being rude, begin using proper target priority, and stop breaking CC this way: it's actually a lot easier in my opinion to encourage proper behavior with negative punishment as a healer than it is as any other role (if a tank doesn't tank an enemy, it almost always ends up punishing the healer rather than the tank, and it's not like DPS have any way of providing more than just verbal feedback to anyone else).

I might be alone in this, but <50 flashpoints are easy enough that I actually prefer when people screw up pulls. Makes things more interesting, especially as a healer/tank. I like being forced to use cooldowns I wouldn't normally use.

(That doesn't mean that I don't correct people... I still want to help them become better players and all that stuff. )

the beauty of the game is when something unexpected happens :)

I never follow that playstyle, i attack whichever one the tank attacks. :)

But i have learnt from experience that attacking the weaker ones first, ends in disaster, since the strong/elite totally rips you apart before the weaker enemies are dead....but then i was on my guardian at the time and dps guardians tend to lack survivability, believe it or not.

I never follow that playstyle, i attack whichever one the tank attacks. :)

But i have learnt from experience that attacking the weaker ones first, ends in disaster, since the strong/elite totally rips you apart before the weaker enemies are dead....but then i was on my guardian at the time and dps guardians tend to lack survivability, believe it or not.

I disagree with that completely. I've always felt there were better results when the DPS guys took out the weaker ads first. Less bees stinging you. Ideally you stun the big guy first, take out the weakest guys while the tank draws aggro from the weaker ones and go up from there. That's my assessment. Mobbing the biggest guy doesn't make sense. First of all, he's going to do a bunch of damage to you all. Second of all, while he's dealing massive damage to you, the other adds are going to be doing damage to you as well so rather than being hit by just one guy, you're all being hit by multiple guys. If the tank is drawing aggro like he should, then the tank is being hit by all sides. So he gets wiped. Then the group gets wiped.

I usually jump on any strong/weak that isn't being CC'd/tanked, and whittle 'em down ASAP. Once all the little buggers are down, then I beat the crap out of the elite.

Am I doing it right? :)

That might work. I have noticed with my smugglers, the thermal grenade can do great damage to the weaker ones, sometimes finishing them off with a second grenade. Maybe on a flashpoint/group assignment, the gunslingers/scoundrels can open up by tossing their grenades at the clusters and maybe the combined blasts will take down some of the weaker enemies?