SWTOR not working right on Ubuntu

DoublezTheJedi

I am currently using Wine to play SWTOR on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS and I'm having a few problems. The screen is not at full resolution as it was while I was using Windows. I cannot switch to Windowed Mode, otherwise it doesn't respond and automatically switched back to full screen. It does not preform as well, and it lags despite that I wiped my disk and Ubuntu is my only OS. Sometimes, the sound gets scratchy and hard to hear. And sometimes, when I'm on my ship, it freezes up and I have to restart my computer. Any suggestions?

I am currently using Wine to play SWTOR on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS and I'm having a few problems. The screen is not at full resolution as it was while I was using Windows. I cannot switch to Windowed Mode, otherwise it doesn't respond and automatically switched back to full screen. It does not preform as well, and it lags despite that I wiped my disk and Ubuntu is my only OS. Sometimes, the sound gets scratchy and hard to hear. And sometimes, when I'm on my ship, it freezes up and I have to restart my computer. Any suggestions?

Install a VM (VirtualBox or VMWare) and get a Windows install. Don't need anything flashy. Best bet, to be honest.

Switch back to Win if you can - as previously suggested, running SWTOR through VM or any other sim software might significantly cripple your in game PC performance... Best wishes thou and if possible, get back to Win...

Switch back to Win if you can - as previously suggested, running SWTOR through VM or any other sim software might significantly cripple your in game PC performance... Best wishes thou and if possible, get back to Win...

I tried... it gave me this:

"This program encountered an internal error and will exit.

Error code: C7

Incompatible System. Please verify your system is compatible with this game."

I am using VirtualBox with Windows 7.

Edited by DoublezTheJedi

Ok, that is even worse then expected - I thought you'll say that the game runs sluggish or something like that but error messages of that kind... Sorry to hear that :(

It looks like a problem with the video card/video card driver - the error C7 is related to SWTOR video driver issues - from what I understand, it's either direct X problem or the driver it self... (might be cause you are running Win7 under a VM sim from Ubuntu, right?)

I would recommend to either dig a bit deeper into this C7 thing here on the forums or on the net (I did it via google) or simply, drop Ubuntu and go to Win again. It is never a good idea to run a desired software via "bridge" between two OS, as in your case - Ubuntu via VM for Win7 and then SWTOR - there are so many things that can go wrong. I am not saying it is impossible, just it might be more prone to failure.

Good luck!

Edited by HerrLoom