Is there a point to doing operations with the new gear system?

Raansu

With no tokens or direct drops, what exactly is the point of operations anymore? Its more efficient to just spam the fastest flashpoint making operations seem almost pointless.

And what's worse, everything except the ONE new op is capped at 70 anyway. Yup, literally pointless.

I don't know why people say they are pointless.

1) Ops are still very useful for conquest, if you care about that, even if a specific op is not a featured objective.

2) There are certain set bonus pieces and tacticals that have a higher chance of dropping in ops. Current BiS set bonus for dps or heal sages/sorcs is an ops drop, as is plasma/pyro VG/PT.

3) Our guild of maybe a dozen or so active players has recruited a handful of players since 6.0. So, for these newer players its fun to get them through their first operation.

4) Some ops are still fun regardless.

With no tokens or direct drops, what exactly is the point of operations anymore? Its more efficient to just spam the fastest flashpoint making operations seem almost pointless.

based on time vs rewards, there is absolutely no reason to do ops, except maybe as a last ditch conquest objective when you've exausted the other goals.

I still do a few a week, because my guild does them nightly, so it's a time to hang out with the guildies.... but that's really the only worthwhile part of it now

I don't know why people say they are pointless.

1) Ops are still very useful for conquest, if you care about that, even if a specific op is not a featured objective.

2) There are certain set bonus pieces and tacticals that have a higher chance of dropping in ops. Current BiS set bonus for dps or heal sages/sorcs is an ops drop, as is plasma/pyro VG/PT.

3) Our guild of maybe a dozen or so active players has recruited a handful of players since 6.0. So, for these newer players its fun to get them through their first operation.

4) Some ops are still fun regardless.

1) They can indeed be good for conquest WHEN it's part of the conquest as featured objective.

2) I have the heal sets for my sorcs/sage sorted without setting foot in an ops. I'm more intested in the Apex Predator for Merecenaries. But that's a thin reason by itself.

3) When you're not new though....

4) Agreed but when you've done them a lot, having proper rewards does help and that's missing now.

Ops drop more gear than FP's. In harder difficulty they are more likely to drop better things like gold amps.

Dxun drops specific set bonuses and tacticals.

But, yes, old ops not scaling or not being completely locked on all stats makes things a bit odd.

Ops drop more gear than FP's. In harder difficulty they are more likely to drop better things like gold amps.

not that I've seen... you get a TF bonus for daily ops, but in the time it takes you to run an op you could spamm MMFP's for much more.

I've done Dxun... a LOT. because I've been chasing the Apex set.... I've seen exactly one piece drop, and someone else won the roll on it... I've had better luck getting the pieces of it from random CQ crates, and Kai.

based on time vs rewards, there is absolutely no reason to do ops, except maybe as a last ditch conquest objective when you've exausted the other goals.

I still do a few a week, because my guild does them nightly, so it's a time to hang out with the guildies.... but that's really the only worthwhile part of it now

So it seems. Its a shame what they've done to end game.

1) They can indeed be good for conquest WHEN it's part of the conquest as featured objective.

2) I have the heal sets for my sorcs/sage sorted without setting foot in an ops. I'm more intested in the Apex Predator for Merecenaries. But that's a thin reason by itself.

1) Guilds can purchase a guild perk for their guild flagship that makes it good for conquest every week, even if an operation or operations aren't featured objectives.

2) At least until 6.1 nerfs it, the theorycrafters argue that Gathering Storm is best in slot. Also all the apex predator pieces I have came from Kai

Dxun drops less set bonus pieces and tacticals than any other operation, even in HM. At least that's my personal experience, and I've raided a lot.

I managed to get full Apex Predator set already, but I got all the pieces from Kai. I've seen some of them drop from other ops as well, but nothing from Dxun yet.

From a gearing viewpoint, there is no point unless you want one of the gear sets that only drops from operations.

It's the same with the harder, MM flashpoints, no real point from a gearing viewpoint to doing them.

Of course then the question becomes: What are you gearing up FOR? Gear is not supposed to BE the game, it's what you get to make you better at playing the game.

Operations and the harder flashpoints are a challenge, and something you do for fun.

If you're doing raids only for gear purposes then no - there's absolutely no point in doing raids at all.

But if you're raider that still 'enjoys' doing raids and hasn't quit yet, then it's perfectly fine.

But yeah, the gearing has been dumbed down so much because majority of SWTOR community does not invest time in raids/ranked which back in the day, dropped the best in slot gear, thus, based on statistics, Bioware had to do it one way or another, me and most of the 'end' game raiding community do not agree with this sort of decisions but considering the fact we are the very minority of the game population, our voices do not matter.

1) Guilds can purchase a guild perk for their guild flagship that makes it good for conquest every week, even if an operation or operations aren't featured objectives.

2) At least until 6.1 nerfs it, the theorycrafters argue that Gathering Storm is best in slot. Also all the apex predator pieces I have came from Kai

1) Well that's still a matter of when or if because guilds don't necessarily pick one. I'm in a big conquest guild and they prefer to get the FP one

2) Well I don't do dps on sorc/sage because I like healing too much but point still is that operations aren't rewarded enough compared to other content. If they nerf those sets then that's another reason not to worry about ops.

From a gearing viewpoint, there is no point unless you want one of the gear sets that only drops from operations.

It's the same with the harder, MM flashpoints, no real point from a gearing viewpoint to doing them.

Of course then the question becomes: What are you gearing up FOR? Gear is not supposed to BE the game, it's what you get to make you better at playing the game.

Operations and the harder flashpoints are a challenge, and something you do for fun.

They should have copied FFXI gear drops if they wanted this horizontal progression.

Genuine interest, what did FFXI do on this front?

FFXI didn't have item levels back in the day. A level 26 item could still be viable at level 75 simply because its stats were good. My monk was still using kirins osode from the first expansion even 3 expansions later because it gave +10 to all stats, so for general use it was still viable. They never made old gear bad. New gear was just different and designed for specific scenarios.

With that said, FFXI did have a heavy amount of gear swapping, so having macros that would swap monks gloves that gave a increase to their boost ability and then swapping back to the kote gloves for the +20 attack before using your weapon skill was a pretty common type of macro. Black mages had multiple elemental staffs and macros would swap staffs depending on what element they were casting etc...

Obviously the gear swapping thing doesn't fit with swtor as its a completely different type of MMO (FFXI was heavily menu based), but the general gear design was horizontal progression to its core. Level cap was level 75 for over a decade. I actually quit the game when they boosted the level cap to 99 because it just broke everything, but at that point the game was aging and they had to change things up so I understand.

Back to my original point, swtor's "horizontal" progression doesn't start till 306, and even then, its still completely RNG and leads to just spamming the same 2 FP's and making all the other content pointless. In FFXI you knew what rare monster or boss dropped what item. The drop could be 1% rate or 100%, but you still knew where to go and how to get it and the gear was always viable so the effort wasn't just erased by a new expansion. Bosses were also out in the open world and most were spawned using items (rare named monsters being the exception, they were on spawn timers anywhere from 1 hour to 72 hours), so there was no lockout raids like in modern MMO's. You had a "farm day" to farm the items and then a raid day to kill different bosses that you could spawn several times.

Not saying FFXI was better, but I miss the days of knowing where to get your gear and not being totally reliant on RNG. For example, Kirin always dropped kirins osode, byakko always dropped dyakko haidate, Hakutaku dropped the optical hat etc.....You knew where to put your focus if you wanted a specific piece of gear.

Edited by Raansu