Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Discussion Topic: Game Update 5.4 and the Next Roadmap

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Discussion Topic: Game Update 5.4 and the Next Roadmap
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Icykill_
08.03.2017 , 07:13 PM | #1101
Quote: Originally Posted by dontbeswg View Post
You see any hot new MMOs being developed? No?

I wonder if that's because the fidget spinner populace is playing hearthstone, League of Legends, CS go, and PUBG...

I love MMOs, I miss the days of a failed WoW killer coming out every 4 months, but tis genre is dead because people don't care about it. Beyond that, this new base of players that want a single player game out of a multiplayer is giving it cancer.

At this point I've concluded that most of you are that player base, and I'm tired of reading the ignorance.
If people seem to not care it's because the games that have been released don't live up to their potential as far as new content and continued development. Companies like EA want to recoup their investment too fast and they don't let the games mature. This game is a prime example of that.

Edit : EA gutted the talent straight after launch or others left when they realised EA weren't going to let them develop the game the way it needed too keep players interested.
Yes it went over budget when it was released, but EA are simple minded and never want to let an investment mature. They want their money back straight away. If they hadn't panicked and made it F2P and kept the talent in the game, swtor could have been one of the most succeful MMO games of all time.
It's a shame that Disney hadn't already purchased Star Wars and announced more movies. If they had it might have been a different story and EA "may" have stayed their nerf hand to the development team and given the game a chance.
All other current SW games are doing really well and a lot has to do with the investment being made. It's the lack of investment and neglect by EA over the years that has run this game down.
The only thing that would save this game now would be if Disney started to put pressure on EA and said they were going to make the Old Republic content cannon and start some new Old Republic media type content like an animated series, movie, TV show, canon books and comics.
If Disney put a spot light on Old Republic content, there maybe renewed interest in swtor.
RIP APAC Players 😢😢😢😢💦
Please click this Refer a Friend link for free stuff

dontbeswg
08.03.2017 , 07:17 PM | #1102
Quote: Originally Posted by Icykill_ View Post
If people seem to not care it's because the games that have been released don't live up to their potential as far as new content and continued development. This game is a prime example of that.
You're exactly right, but sadly the game devs won't figure out and just go with people not wanting the class of game.

I hope with the demand for sandbox we can get another great mmo that advanced the sandbox features of the past and evolves world pvp and large scale raiding.

dontbeswg
08.03.2017 , 07:22 PM | #1103
ultimate the day an mmo feels massive again, i'll sing it's praises.

Icykill_
08.03.2017 , 07:28 PM | #1104
ultimate the day an mmo feels massive again, i'll sing it's praises.
I had high hopes of Star Citizen doing that, but they seem to never want to finish the game outside of Alpha and Beta... every year they say they plan to launch the game and then they don't. They've now spent more money on that game than can be considered appropriate and still no sign of a real launch.
RIP APAC Players 😢😢😢😢💦

Exly
08.03.2017 , 07:29 PM | #1105
Quote: Originally Posted by MeNaCe-NZ View Post
Focus on MMO content this year and the lowest numbers ever seen in the game ... yup MMO content focus is working wonders.
What focus. Yes they are working on a new op, but they are also working on more story, new daily areas, and new strongholds. They are not focusing on MMO content, they just stopped completely ignoring it.

dontbeswg
08.03.2017 , 07:34 PM | #1106
I had high hopes of Star Citizen doing that .
That's a good lesson for everyone, never kickstart without any kind of back investment.

dontbeswg
08.03.2017 , 07:35 PM | #1107
Quote: Originally Posted by Exly View Post
What focus.
I've heard half eaten sandwiches taste amazing too.

Icykill_
08.03.2017 , 07:43 PM | #1108
That's a good lesson for everyone, never kickstart without any kind of back investment.
Kick start is ok, as long as there is an end plan to launch the game... I think the problem with Star Citizen is the more money they've been given the bigger their plans got for the game... now they expect that money too keep coming in and they keep expanding on their ideas instead of just finishing up... but now the game ideas are so big they've dug a hole for themselves... if people pull the funding or it slows then they can't finish because the game development has gone out of control and has a life of its own.
I think it's got more people working on this ones game than any other game in history. They are running two studios, one in NA and one in the U.K.... Its like a small industry and they just keep spending... the more money they get the more they splash out and waste... they've been getting Mark Hammil to do voice acting as well..
my guess is a lot of this money is going into the top echelons pockets and they want to milk the cow till its dead... I have a feeling the game will never launch because they are making so much money from crowd sourcing.
RIP APAC Players 😢😢😢😢💦

Damask_Rose
08.03.2017 , 07:57 PM | #1109
Kick start is ok, as long as there is an end plan to launch the game... I think the problem with Star Citizen is the more money they've been given the bigger their plans got for the game... now they expect that money too keep coming in and they keep expanding on their ideas instead of just finishing up... but now the game ideas are so big they've dug a hole for themselves... if people pull the funding or it slows then they can't finish because the game development has gone out of control and has a life of its own.
I think it's got more people working on this ones game than any other game in history. They are running two studios, one in NA and one in the U.K.... Its like a small industry and they just keep spending... the more money they get the more they splash out and waste... they've been getting Mark Hammil to do voice acting as well..
my guess is a lot of this money is going into the top echelons pockets and they want to milk the cow till its dead... I have a feeling the game will never launch because they are making so much money from crowd sourcing.
At one time my husband was recruited to program a kickstarter game that was being fronted by some well known You-tubers. The thing blew up while he was waiting for a contract to be sent. We were never sure if they were grossly incompetent or if they never intended to finish the game and were milking it for what they could get. We do know they kept raising funds for it for several years after we knew there was no real intent to finish it.

Icykill_
08.03.2017 , 08:03 PM | #1110
Quote: Originally Posted by Damask_Rose View Post
At one time my husband was recruited to program a kickstarter game that was being fronted by some well known You-tubers. The thing blew up while he was waiting for a contract to be sent. We were never sure if they were grossly incompetent or if they never intended to finish the game and were milking it for what they could get. We do know they kept raising funds for it for several years after we knew there was no real intent to finish it.
At least SC is actually making content. But the kick starter model is definitely open to abuse. It comes down to buyer (donator) beware,
It's certainly a good scam if they can pull it off because they have no legal obligation to do anything with the money you give them, it's just the same as if you give a stranger money on the street.
RIP APAC Players 😢😢😢😢💦