Looking for challenge in Chapter Content after overleveling

karimthejedi

Hey guys, I’ve read a few threads on this topic from 2016-2018 and wanted to check in if anything has changed in 2020, since I joined the game recently.

Though I’ve spent already 300+ hours and have almost all 8 characters approaching level 70 soon (with 3 level 75’s and 280+ gear rating), I still want a challenge in the remaining Chapter content as I’m pretty much still in Chapter 1 for all toons (hard to believe but thank double xp event).

Now that I’m back to completing the chapter missions and following the game’s course, my overleveled are just murdering things on story mode especially my comp who is set to DPS. And based on what I read online on these threads, veteran mode ISNT a middle ground between story and master and isn’t recommended unless you’re in top 10-15 percentile of skilled players (which I reckon need time to get to).

So any suggestions on what’s a good way to experience more of a challenging story mode? Maybe ditch my comp for all fights?

But I’m also tempted to play veteran now because I hear there’s more renown, xp points and rewards etc

Anyone who can shed light on the game’s status for this topic - I would really appreciate it.

So, this is about KOTFE.

Reduce the gear iRating level of your character and / or play without a companion. First playthrough is highly recommended to be on Story mode; at least once on a force-user class. Chapter 1 of KOTFE is nothing. There are a lot of fun fights over the course of KOTFE and KOTET where you'll want all the armor and firepower you can get and a guardian angel healer companion.

A whole lot of people have asked this question over the last few years. Having asked the question, they tend to respond to all suggestions with a "Yes, but..." argument. My suspicion is that people asking this question do so as humble bragging or because they want to start an argument. I hope that is not you.

Edited by mike_carton

I believe you can change the difficulty of any mission that is instanced. I think if you right click your character picture next to the health bar it gives you the option

The option is there, but I don't think it has ever worked, I've never noticed any difference when I used it.

To make the class stuff more challenging , you can run without a comp, in empty gear, obviously with a main hand to fight with. Also if you are starting a new char, only do class quests to keep your level on par, or lower than the planet level.

Until you get to KOTFE, there is no veteran or master mode.

The class story missions were never really intended for overleveled characters. Level sync will bring you "close-ish" to the right level, but you will still stomp everything without problems.

As others have noted, you'll need to make your own challenge (no comp, no gear (which for some classes, like concealment operative, can actually be really fun without even a weapon)) or just sit back and enjoy the story, using flashpoints/ops/pvp or whatever floats your boat to scratch the challenge itch along the way.

Thanks for your response mate but this is actually about the first main game lol, before any expansion kicks in.

Yea I overleveled THAT much during double xp. And happy as hell about it.

You mentioned chapters AND difficulty modes, so it seemed like you were talking KOTFE and KOTET. If you're talking the first 3 chapters of class story, then there is no changing of difficulty level.

So any suggestions on what’s a good way to experience more of a challenging story mode? Maybe ditch my comp for all fights?

Unfortunately even eliminating gear doesn't change things much because of the way level sync is implemented.

If you are using a dps companion, one "half-way" step you can take is to click off the stun ability that the companion has. That one ability matters more than you think. It won't matter much to click off the other abilities because the dps companion auto-attack is effective.

However, companion influence rating is a big deal. If you don't want to just ditch your companion, you can use a Level 1 influence companion.

Other than that, yes, ditching your companion is pretty much what you can do.