Frequently Asked PvP Questions

EricMusco

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am disappointed in the PvP community more than anything!! What a bunch of whiners! Want PvP to improve? Its time for some psyops missions. We need YOU, the PvP player base to mobilize and start encouraging people to do some PVP!

The Dev's are definitely to blame for the bugs! No argument here. Season 1 had so many bugs I honestly didnt even feel like playing. And I really didnt even play much.

This game seems to have a thriving PvE base. Why is that? PvP takes more skill... How many of you PVP'ers are trying to encourage PvE'ers to come do some PvP??? Yep they should go do all the research you have. They should go learn it all on their own but guess what.... THEY DONT! Most people dont even know where to start for PvP information. If you PvP you know guides are pretty scarce so we have to make them! They also need a nudge in the right direction... away from PvE and toward PvP! Be a PvP coach! Offer yourself up and help out these noobs! At least tell them some good links or web pages they can learn some stuff from. Make some instructional videos and post them on the forums to help new players transform from noobs to pros!

Most people get stomped in PvP because of lack of knowledge -- not gear... We still got tons of people thinking they did awesome in PvP with tons of DPS/HPS without getting any kills or keeping anyone alive... I'd like to see a scoreboard that also shows how many CC's, interupts and slows/snares someone executed. Anyone can spam dots/hots/AOE's and not get any kills and have their team die. BUT LOOK AT ALL THAT DPS/HPS on the scoreboard!!!! DPS get on the right targets and kill people, heals heal the right targets and save lives... thats skilled PvP vs mindless spamming dots/hots aoes...

If you want PvP to do well, start doing something to cultivate and encourage more people to come PvP instead of PvE! If you are like me you really like this game, see its potential and want it to succeed. It wont succeed by complaining about how things suck. It will succeed if you start doing things to change it. Be creative! Being a PvPer you are probably competitive and intelligent... Be a coach. Persuade people to PvP! Stop complaining and do something productive! Start a PvP guild or join one and help out noobs!! Encourage more PvP in your PvE guilds! Heck infiltrate PvE guilds and encourage people to PvP! Its the only way to grow the PvP community....

Do you think the Devs are going to get resources to implement much PvP stuff if they dont have a large enough player base to make que's pop??? Nope. They are busy catering to the large PvE population paying them while us PvPers that nerd rage (I'm guilty of it) after a match scare people away from PvP. Instead of COMPLAINING start doing more EXPLAINING to noobs. Dont scare them away. Be gentle... more bees with honey than vinegar...

The Dev's are NOT the only thing that has an effect on the PvP community. In fact I'd say the player base has a larger effect. Especially once PvP is bug free then its really on the PvP community... which I'm really hoping season 2 starts with no bugs. If it does have bugs its gonna seriously hurt an already crippled and nearly dead part of the game...

So make a choice: Be constructive and help out. OR Be destructive and complain and not have any fun. The choice is yours.

Peace.

Wish BW would realize handling the pvp crowd is a bit different than the pve crowd.

After a year of these types of answers legacy storage, previously also technically too challenging and not on the immediate agenda, was a pleasant surprise yesterday.

But the same approach to pvp features just won't work, you won't have people to be pleasantly surprised by cross server queues or rated HB league when you announce it 9 months from now.

sigh

PvP needs an equivalent of "2 expansions coming this year" road plan. Doesn't have to be the immediate future just for christ sake can we get an indication pvp in this game is still something more than a few bullet points on the wall of crazy at this stage?

For once not a "we would like to BUT" but "the plan is to EVENTUALLY". A small light at the end of the tunnel, that so much to ask for lol...

Edited by aeterno

I don't understand why existing tech can't be used to Macgyver up cross-server functionality.

- Use the existing character transfer system to copy players to another server (like the PTS)

- *Caution, work required here* Find a way to make switching to the PTS be a loading screen (or don't, having to log out and over to the PTS wouldn't be a big deal)

- Use the existing leaderboard tracking system to keep track of rating changes on the PTS and update the characters rating on live every 24 hours or so

Why have a server that you aren't taking advantage of for months at a time. Make it the official ranked server, and seasons will fall naturally from the PTS being retaken for testing new patches every few months.

Primary Drawbacks (that I see):

- Additional 25 gigs required space to be able to PvP competitively

- If no extra work is put in and only items 1 and 3 are implemented then there would be a few minute delay when switching from live to PTS and back

- Possibly have to remove ranked from live servers at first to incentive using the PTS (although leaving 4v4s as something to queue for a skirmish would be nice)

I am disappointed in the PvP community more than anything!! What a bunch of whiners! Want PvP to improve? Its time for some psyops missions. We need YOU, the PvP player base to mobilize and start encouraging people to do some PVP!

The Dev's are definitely to blame for the bugs! No argument here. Season 1 had so many bugs I honestly didnt even feel like playing. And I really didnt even play much.

This game seems to have a thriving PvE base. Why is that? PvP takes more skill... How many of you PVP'ers are trying to encourage PvE'ers to come do some PvP??? Yep they should go do all the research you have. They should go learn it all on their own but guess what.... THEY DONT! Most people dont even know where to start for PvP information. If you PvP you know guides are pretty scarce so we have to make them! They also need a nudge in the right direction... away from PvE and toward PvP! Be a PvP coach! Offer yourself up and help out these noobs! At least tell them some good links or web pages they can learn some stuff from. Make some instructional videos and post them on the forums to help new players transform from noobs to pros!

Most people get stomped in PvP because of lack of knowledge -- not gear... We still got tons of people thinking they did awesome in PvP with tons of DPS/HPS without getting any kills or keeping anyone alive... I'd like to see a scoreboard that also shows how many CC's, interupts and slows/snares someone executed. Anyone can spam dots/hots/AOE's and not get any kills and have their team die. BUT LOOK AT ALL THAT DPS/HPS on the scoreboard!!!! DPS get on the right targets and kill people, heals heal the right targets and save lives... thats skilled PvP vs mindless spamming dots/hots aoes...

If you want PvP to do well, start doing something to cultivate and encourage more people to come PvP instead of PvE! If you are like me you really like this game, see its potential and want it to succeed. It wont succeed by complaining about how things suck. It will succeed if you start doing things to change it. Be creative! Being a PvPer you are probably competitive and intelligent... Be a coach. Persuade people to PvP! Stop complaining and do something productive! Start a PvP guild or join one and help out noobs!! Encourage more PvP in your PvE guilds! Heck infiltrate PvE guilds and encourage people to PvP! Its the only way to grow the PvP community....

Do you think the Devs are going to get resources to implement much PvP stuff if they dont have a large enough player base to make que's pop??? Nope. They are busy catering to the large PvE population paying them while us PvPers that nerd rage (I'm guilty of it) after a match scare people away from PvP. Instead of COMPLAINING start doing more EXPLAINING to noobs. Dont scare them away. Be gentle... more bees with honey than vinegar...

The Dev's are NOT the only thing that has an effect on the PvP community. In fact I'd say the player base has a larger effect. Especially once PvP is bug free then its really on the PvP community... which I'm really hoping season 2 starts with no bugs. If it does have bugs its gonna seriously hurt an already crippled and nearly dead part of the game...

So make a choice: Be constructive and help out. OR Be destructive and complain and not have any fun. The choice is yours.

Peace.

No thanks, the "helping out" bit was done a thousand times over already.

Nobody that's left wishes to waste their time again, but by all means, try that out and let us know how it goes for you.

Peace.

Very well said man.

<snip>

Peace.

All people have to do is ask in a way that isn't demanding nerfs or any mindless rant and they're going to get good answers around here. But usually people don't even bother asking.

You call this "FAQ" feedback?

You call this "FAQ" feedback?

Well, it is answers 'bout most of the things we'd been butting heads over the past year, 'cept for the the solo vs premade thing, but i guess the answer is the same as the one 'bout the option to choose WZ map . . . and I don't really see the need for this whole sections on the community forums any more . . .

Just wanna say, to you all, that it's been great changing opinions, you know, the head butting, disregard my last OP tho

I still gonna favor 8 vs 8 in my gameplay as long as it lasts, still think Arenas are brainless ... but since resistance is futile, guess I gonna go get me my very own premade now ... stomp some beginners and lessen the PvP player pool a bit more

Cheers mates

No thanks, the "helping out" bit was done a thousand times over already.

Nobody that's left wishes to waste their time again, but by all means, try that out and let us know how it goes for you.

Done soooo many times, and in standard WZ... NO ONE CARES. Simple. They do not lissen.

So what we will like to do? Ranked... but ranked are DEAD...

Why?

No good rewards

No cross server (because in some servers ranked are DEAD)

and so on.

So make a choice: Be constructive and help out. OR Be destructive and complain and not have any fun. The choice is yours

Im gonna be constructive, son, u destroyed the solo q's

just دانلود فیلم با لینک مستقیم و کمکی _ سریال دی ال a little bit moar

I would like to share some numbers... let's take a look at some post reply and numbers:

Post 1.1 Ilum PVP Issues Discussion

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=194213

Reply --- Views --- Date

2,814 --- 370,262 --- 01.18.2012

Update on Ilum Open World PvP issues

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=197991

Reply --- Views --- Date

3,092 --- 371,757 --- 01.18.2012

lol bolster

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=621370

Reply --- Views --- Date

1,666 --- 157,775 --- 04.09.2013

Currently we have no plans of expanding open world PvP,

Oh and as side note, top view/reply topic was from all the things you have just say NO. GG

Edited by Elminster_cs

1. The player needed to know that this is how PvP at max level worked.

2. The player needed to then get the gear and actually equip it.

Although this may seem like something which is obvious to many of you who are more seasoned and hardcore PvPers, these factors being missed led to many players first experience being that they got completely stomped in PvP. Although we understand that there are certainly “dues to be paid” when you play PvP, they shouldn’t come right at the beginning of someone’s PvP career. We also want the Ranked population to be as high as possible within the Level 55 bracket so we have Bolster in place so more players can participate in the system.

-eric

Ok that is just ridiculous. If it really isn't obvious to a player even after you give them a set of PVP gear in an in-game mail, explaining how the expertise system works, then they are obviously so bad a player that even IF they got top tier PVP gear, they would still probably be more of a hindrance than a help. This is nothing to do with "paying dues"!! This is about bad players. Do people not know how to use Google??

Also, there are 55 levels in SWTOR. I hardly class level 55 warzones as "the beginning of someone's PVP career". You completely defeat the point in ENDGAME content if you are basically levelling the playing field for the bad, lazy players. Getting different levels of gear is what drives players to do more. It shouldn't be easy to get top tiered gear, people have to work for it!! Otherwise you may as well just go into a warzone and run around for 15 minutes, just to get your free comms! PVE players have 4 tiers of gear. PVP has 2, but of course the bolster cancels that out doesn't it. May as well just get rid of PVP gear completely and scrap the expertise system.

It's really disappointing to see this is the direction you're going with the game. It really is completely soul destroying to know that all the gear that I've worked so hard to afford is basically worthless because some scrub with rubbish gear can come in, get bolstered and still manage to survive long enough to derp around and ruin the whole match for the rest of the team. This is what you're doing! You may be getting more players doing PVP, but they are ruining matches for the true PVPers. I'd suggest to set the matchmaking system to valor bands (50-60-70-80-90-100) but of course there would never be any pops, unless you implement cross server warzone queues.

Once again majorly disappointed with the direction this game is going. Have been playing since beta and subbed since launch but now this is really growing thin. The latest upset to me is the upcoming class changes, more specifically the Smash/Sweep nerf, more specifically not being able to smash without having a target. That is the final nail in the coffin I feel... Of course I'm only one person so not being subbed to the game won't make a difference, apart from the disgusting way that you treat F2P and even prefered players, might as well just not play at all.

If you want this game's PVP to be taken seriously it needs to be more hardcore. It needs bolster removing from 55 PVP. No more turning it into "easy mode" for all the carebares that QQ about it being too hard when they quite plainly don't know how to play.

I'm curious to know what his comment was as well...anyone have a quote of it?

The video is here. I assume he was referring to the comments starting at 32m 12s, where they say basically that they would like to have cross server queuing, but it's very technically challenging and would take too many resources (yes, that meme again!). So even though they acknowledge cross server queuing would be good, they can't do it without delaying other stuff, which they are not willing to do. And we just didn't understand what Eric meant when he said "no".

I honestly doubt the cross server thing is a tech limitation and more of a manpower limitation. You just don't want to divert your manpower from thinking up cool and new exciting items to milk your customers wallet on the cartel market. Oh, right, everything on there is just a reskin. Idk why I play this game anymore. You guys clearly do not understand what the community wants. Nor do you really care. Cross server queues might actually save your game, as it stands, I don't think SWTOR will be open for business next year. I mean, player housing...you don't have the manpower to do cross server queues....but you wasted how long on an entire expansion for player housing? Which is what the community wanted and needed, right? Edited by Devilk

I honestly doubt the cross server thing is a tech limitation and more of a manpower limitation.

It would be interesting to know the full story here. My personal theory is that they just spent an enormous pile of money and time on GSF, which they told themselves was PvP content. And now when the PvP team comes and says we need another enormous pile of money to implement cross-server queues, they are being told "no", either because the next big pile of money has "PvE expansion" written on it, or maybe GSF activity isn't where they predicted it would be. But I really really do think they sold themselves on GSF being PvP content.

Peace.

Were you around for launch and the first year? The community was extremely helpful in the beginning. You know why they're not now? Many people left and the ones that did get help either never paid it forward or they stopped playing like the others.. Now, everyone is disgruntled.. Why do people have to teach others how to play a game that is relatively simple to play and Google is right there?

*by everyone, I mean the veterans that have stuck around hoping for improvements that never come.

Edited by ayobreezie

It would be interesting to know the full story here. My personal theory is that they just spent an enormous pile of money and time on GSF, which they told themselves was PvP content. And now when the PvP team comes and says we need another enormous pile of money to implement cross-server queues, they are being told "no", either because the next big pile of money has "PvE expansion" written on it, or maybe GSF activity isn't where they predicted it would be. But I really really do think they sold themselves on GSF being PvP content.

It's not really rocket science. Cross server tech requires dedicated server hardware. Which costs money. For relatively little gain in the mind of the money men so it's hard for the devs to justify the expense. They're not going that route till their hand is absolutely forced, sadly.

Hey folks!

We will always continue to add new content around PvP whenever possible and to continue to create the best PvP environment that we can. If you look back, in the past 3 Game Updates (including 2.7) we had:

• The launch of Warzone Arenas - Legit
  • The ability to solo queue for ranked play - The Loss of Ranked 8v8
  • Season 1 rewards - Reskins and a mount that will be available on cartel... PVE'ers got unique wings. Real Special
  • 4 new Warzone Arena maps - This is the same as the first point. It doesn't get double credit.
  • A new Huttball map - Which will only serve to give us classic huttball 50% less. Thats not awesome at all.

Eric,

See points above. And please answer one REALLY simple question:

1) If none of the community asks are on your current roadmap, what pvp content is currently on your X months roadmap, and how many months does X represent?

Thanks Eric.

Hardly surprising given the info we've already had. Not the most encouraging either. However the responses pretty much reenforce why they don't respond often. If it's anything other then yes or it's on the roadmap people go komikozi and explode. On the flip side if items that required a lot of resources were approved the PvErs would be in here doing the samething about their lack of attention and wasting resources on PvP.

This is mostly a lose-lose situation for BW no matter what the answers or direction. Not to say they shouldn't provide some clarifications or explanation of the cost to achieve these items people want. More communication is always good in the long run. In part because some don't appear that challenging to complete but it comes across like BW is disregarding the communities wants. Too bad when I first saw this I thought with the last announcement we might gave some good news coming, not so much.

It's really too bad this game just has so much potential for PvP with a good combat system and it's freaking Star Wars! It starts to feel at some point what could be and it's discouraging with nothing awesome to really look forward to outside of hopefully continual balance changes and a new HB map but it could be expanded so much further.

Edited by Avicii