Glass cannon report

Fiqh

When playing an APT should I just accept that Im going to die sooner rather then later? I did a class pvp search on youtube. 1/2 the videos showed the gameplay of APT with dedicated healers. I admit they looked amazing. Never died. Toped the dps stat column. However, those without dedicated healers... bantha fodder.

So I think to myself, " Self. Why would someone make a gameplay video showing themselves getting melted? More so, why would a player put up a braggadocious highlight real of themselves as if we won't notice they have a pocket healer?"

The only sound conclusion I could come to is the problem is me, and my lack of understanding. You see little did I know its already been widely accepted that powertechs are glass cannons. So when you rate them 1 of 2 conditions must first be applied. With or without a healer.

Example 1: APT with a healer gets globaled

Reaction: Wow that PT sucks!

Example 2: APT without a healer survives the cleave and last longer than 30 seconds.

Reaction: Nice. That guy really knows what he's doing.

You see? Had I known these parameters prior to doing my search I would have been better equipped to gauge the quality of gameplay I was viewing.

But the real question still remains unanswered. Which is, why on this green earth would dev make a class so bipolar in performance and have its viability completely dependant on the pressence and performance of another class? To me its faulty by design.

Disclaimer: there are actually 1 or 2 Players in ranked who dont need a healer to give a solid performance. But thats it.

This class seriously needs to be revisited.

And if one more player tells me skanking is the solution Im going to scream.

It has been talked about time and time again - they should buff it for solo ranked, but in a way that wouldn't make it way too overpowered in team ranked. The class is already a great pick in both team ranked and in PVE.

It's very well understood the class is a glass cannon. Made worse by some classes being totally over-tuned for PvP. It's one hell of a cannon though. People can get blown up so fast that sometimes the survival issue doesn't become a problem.

I'd say right now the class has a very high skill ceiling to play it correctly. You can't make mistskes because at a competitive level the class does not win fights of attrition. Any engagements need to end quickly or you need to find some way of dealing with damage, either by avoiding hits or having others to provide support.

It's very well understood the class is a glass cannon. Made worse by some classes being totally over-tuned for PvP. It's one hell of a cannon though. People can get blown up so fast that sometimes the survival issue doesn't become a problem.

I'd say right now the class has a very high skill ceiling to play it correctly. You can't make mistskes because at a competitive level the class does not win fights of attrition. Any engagements need to end quickly or you need to find some way of dealing with damage, either by avoiding hits or having others to provide support.

Well put. It needs to be addressed. How do we let dev get away with ignoring something so plainly obvious. I dont always want to que grouped. I shouldnt have to be dependant on my friends being online to que with me. And no offence but I have a sage and knight. Both primed for pvp. But they offer no challenge at all. Learn yout rotation/ priority and spam to fill in the gaps. Runaway if you get attacked. That gets boring. People play PT/APT for the utilities.

Well put. It needs to be addressed. How do we let dev get away with ignoring something so plainly obvious. I dont always want to que grouped. I shouldnt have to be dependant on my friends being online to que with me. And no offence but I have a sage and knight. Both primed for pvp. But they offer no challenge at all. Learn yout rotation/ priority and spam to fill in the gaps. Runaway if you get attacked. That gets boring. People play PT/APT for the utilities.

I think anybody who plays this class in PVP is acutely aware that Bioware needs to do some PVP balancing. The arms race we had in 4.0 and 5.0 has been very unkind to some classes and overly generous to others. I too, wish that they would not only balance the game, but I'd like to see them at least have a frank discussion about the elephant in the room.

Edited by Fellow-Canadian

2 years sincerly ...2 years a class is completly garbage in PvP and others are just in easy mode.

and worst to this is that last updates to class changes just increased the gap ! they nerfed PT more removing 30% reduction damage while stuned and aoe to AP spec and reducing some damage.

and they let a class perma snare you at 30m range with an electronet, a reflect, self heal, big missile and more. :rolleyes:

Edited by Thaladan

I think anybody who plays this class in PVP is acutely aware that Bioware needs to do some PVP balancing. The arms race we had in 4.0 and 5.0 has been very unkind to some classes and overly generous to others. I too, wish that they would not only balance the game, but I'd like to see them at least have a frank discussion about the elephant in the room.

Dont even remind that 4.0 patch. They took away range, nerfed dcd's for no gosh darn reason. Its asinine, how anyone thought its was a good idea. Seems like whenever bw wants to "balance" things, they just make it so much worse. And to this day, its not adresed whatsoever, amazing.

At this point, i think 30% dmg. reduction should be back, 20m range back, trauma regulators, decreased time on shoulder missile, heal on it back to 5 from 3, and buff adrenaline rush.

Additionally, the devs ninja-nerfed all non-tank melee classes and removed 30% stun DR from AP & Pyro PT's in May of last year with 5.9. You won't find it in any patch notes, but it happened.

So enjoy your squishiness PT's. All you can do is run in, blow your load, and run away. Better pray nobody stuns you during Hydraulic Overrides.

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

Hm, I returned about 2 Mo ago, so missed 5 years of patching. What I see on all my chars now, DR 30% on stun is tank exclusive IF class has tank role. Including PT.

That has sense actually - only tanks suffer from stuns because defense rises to 0, other classes/roles has it insignificant already.

Edited by alexzk

Bruh... PT has been red headed step child since kingdom come.

They are God Tier mode in a good team ranked game tho.

Conclusion? Delete the stupid class because BW has no idea how to balance there way out of a scale.

If only most of us cared about team ranked... Team ranked dead long live solo ranked....

That has sense actually - only tanks suffer from stuns because defense rises to 0, other classes/roles has it insignificant already.

Pfff, clearly you have never been globaled during a 4s stun.

Bruh... PT has been red headed step child since kingdom come.

They are God Tier mode in a good team ranked game tho.

Conclusion? Delete the stupid class because BW has no idea how to balance there way out of a scale.

I can see that in granked, but having a trinity in other pvp settings is a luxury.

Also, I think people are so used to completely wrecking PT's, they don't know how to actually counter them. In the PT's opener, he will have Energy Burst procced, so when you see/hear the Thermal Detonator go on you, it's time hit a DCD (covered escape, mad dash, dodge/evade, force shroud) because the PT is going to mash Energy Burst next, and it triggers the Thermal Detonator to 'splode as well. Other than that, keep them stunned when Hydraulics are used, and keep them slowed/rooted when Hydraulics are not up. DCD's with cleanses, like Dodge/Evasion and Force Shroud, are very effective against a PT.

Edited by Rion_Starkiller