Voice Chat

dleiferom

Not sure if it has been suggested or even possible but it would be nice to enter flashpoints and Ops and have in game voice available instead of having to rely on teamspeak, vent or mumble....etc.

If wondering if something has been suggested, use the search.

In game voice chat is just a waste of effort. There are other and better options available. Why have the devs waste time and effort figuring out how to do VOIP and working it into the game and NOT cause any additional problems, when they can just let someone else do it better.

should we make it a subscriber only perk to recoup the costs? how about 20000CC for the effort? People pay $8 a month for voip services and websites...should they charge the same?

what about people that don't have microphones/headsets?

I have seen games that have VOIP added directly...they usually suck and are worse than alternative options, problem is they are integrated so can't be turned off and interfere with other much better products.

tl;dr NO!

DDO has voice chat built in. ( It was my first MMORPG. )

So it's possible to have it, in theory.

DDO is more an anomaly, or exception, than the standard. It was the only game I've ever seen where the implementation of voice chat worked well enough that a 3rd party client wasn't necessary. However, I will say that Ventrillo, Teamspeak, and Mumble are all easier to setup than the voice chat in DDO. Its also important to remember that DDO wasn't a true open-world MMO. It was a single open world city, with everything instanced off from there. This allowed them to dedicate a lot more server resources to the voice chat than a game such as this one would be able to do.

Every other game I've seen that tried to implement voice chat failed miserably and created systems that were quite noticeably inferior to 3rd party software such as Ventrillo.

sure its possible. I can be an expert in one thing or two things, average at 3 things, adequate at 4 or more.

I don't have the guy designing the new shiny armor, also doing the animations, and balancing combat, I don't also want them to be developing VOIP software. Let them make games, let those that do voip do voip. I would rather buy a 3rd part app that is much better, faster, stable, and correct. Than a free in house add on that sucks and just causes MORE problems (i.e I can't use something else that may be better).

Hang out with a buddy who has a console who plays FPS like Call of Duty and the like and turn off mutes. Listen for a few minutes, then imagine all the disgusting things said in fleet chat every day.

Now imagine that coming through your speakers when you get teamed up with johnny mcdouchetroll who realizes he can share whatever disgusting thought pops into his head with anyone unfortuneate enough to be grouped with him.

Yeah, bad idea.

Edited by XiamaraSimi

Turbine tends to have voice chat built into their MMOs, LOTRO has it as well, and it gets a lot of use. That said, games like STO and WoW which added voice chat after launch, tend to never see the feature become popular. I feel that the window of opportunity for VOIP to be included in the SWTOR client has long since passed.