Playable race : Voss

DavidAtkinson

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Voss would be awesome however I think they're a special model body type of super tall and skinny. I don't recall ever seeing a BT1,2, 3, or 4 of them. (I'm sure someone can point out an instance.) If that were possible, then the new Body type(5) can be introduced as well. They certainly have a gorgeous palette of colors to play with. An artistic natured person's dream.

There have been several threads over the years asking for the Voss to become a playable species. There has been no clear answer yet on BioWare's end, but apart from the already mentioned body type issues when it comes to armor, there is also a rather glaring lore issue if they'd become playable, especially when your class story leads you to Voss. It would be quite game breaking if your companions and the NPC's interact with you and talk about the Voss as a mystery and like no one knows about them, all the while you are actually Voss. I am pretty sure this lore issue is also the reason why we have not yet gotten a Voss companion, only a Gormak one through the Star Fortress quest.

So no, there is virtually no chance they will become playable. As a companion? Maybe.

Edited by Phazonfreak

While i like the Voss as a species, that would be a bit weird to have them as playable species during the class stories considering at that time they didn't leave Voss, and would make for some oddities during some dialogues.

Then they have a different build than our PC, being roughly the height of BT3 with the weight of BT1-2.

A Voss companion could be possible, but i don't really see them being added as a playable species, unless they completely change how our PC are made so that we can choose the height and weight as 2 different options.

Heck yeah Voss would be a great ppl to play; would've preferred Voss to Nautolan myself. Unfortunately the problems listed in this thread are real roadblocks as far as vanilla goes, but how about a post eternal empire species? Why not? Vanilla's my fav but I think a post-arcann Voss world could be a great story starting point. As for the nature of the Voss peeps, the vanilla stories have Voss npcs wanting something other than the status quo (JK and Smuggler stories come to mind). It may be too much to overcome game-wise, so maybe a series of Voss stories? Could be gooood :)

• 7 months later...
That wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to start as a Voss. When you get there you're told they're a mysterious people and not much is known about them but oh hey you're one so ummm... Nope doesn't work.

if you play a Cathar in as a imperial you may come accost this to me if they put the cathar in they can put the voss :mon_redface:

I admit I would love to see the Voss as a playable species, but I feel that they'd have to be accompanied by a new class or at least, a new class story. Having a Voss playable character going through any of the existing classes would feel quite out of character and off.

The new class story could feature a Voss Mystic on their journey to realize their potential. It would be difficult to tie their story into the post-class story content afterwards. It would be strange to see a Voss Mystic becoming the Outlander with Valkorion in their mind.

So, as cool as it would be, I feel it's highly unlikely that the Voss will become a playable race. It would have worked if it had been added years earlier, but at this point the ship has long sailed. It's much more likely we will see new playable species that fit with all the class stories, such as Chagrian, Kaleesh, Devaronian etc etc.

if you play a Cathar in as a imperial you may come accost this to me if they put the cathar in they can put the voss :mon_redface:

For Cathar it's a few lines here and there(1), although they do include several important chunks of the FemTrooper/Aric J romance. For Voss, it would be a whole gdmf planet in the class story.

The quantity of dialogue-inconsistency nonsense that would happen on and around Voss cannot be overstated. Lots of NPCs tell you that you are not Voss, and there's substantial quantity of Gormak who tell you that you *are* Voss, and the player gets a line to deny it.

And no, the fact that they put in Cathar (of human size and proportions with normal voices) does not automatically mean they can put in Voss (taller and skinner-relative-to-their-height than humans, with a weird voice effect). they'd have to re-work *all* the armour in the game, *or* have you be some sort of "fat dwarf" subspecies, *or* have only a few pieces of armour available. (No, the current "Voss Dignitary" set is not suitable - it is more like a sort of "Voss Dignitary cosplay" set.

(1) In narrative order, the earliest is for Troopers and Smugglers, on Ord Mantell, with the Stolen Medecine mission.

(1) In narrative order, the earliest is for Troopers and Smugglers, on Ord Mantell, with the Stolen Medecine mission.

I still chuckle at times when I play a Cathar trooper and I'm being explained what a Cathar is by that soldier. It's funny, albeit somewhat rather immersion-breaking xD I always reason that the soldier mistook my character for a Zyggerian or another catlike species.

The problem is one can't reason it away like that with the Voss. Not only do they have a unique and rather specific look that you can't mistake for another race, it you visit Voss it'll be an experience and not a good one at that.

If they introduced the Voss they'd need their own class story to make it work. Yet I don't see that happening anymore, not at this point. It would come at the expense of the main story for all the other classes.

Nonsense. There are already Voss who have left Voss. One follows Jedi Consular around and though we don't actually see them he supposed has a small army that goes wherever he goes, in their own ship. A Voss Mystic actually hangs around the Alliance base. In the Smuggler story we find out there are Voss on several other planets. There are other Voss who are extremely curious about the "Outsiders". Once introduced to space travel some Voss would leave to go exploring no matter what the majority of Voss or the Mystics think.

Nonsense. There are already Voss who have left Voss. One follows Jedi Consular around and though we don't actually see them he supposed has a small army that goes wherever he goes, in their own ship. A Voss Mystic actually hangs around the Alliance base. In the Smuggler story we find out there are Voss on several other planets. There are other Voss who are extremely curious about the "Outsiders". Once introduced to space travel some Voss would leave to go exploring no matter what the majority of Voss or the Mystics think.

Yes, and when does that happen? After the class stories or near the end of them. Lore-wise it simply wouldn't make any sense, so don't get your hopes up of the Voss becoming playable. It simply would break the story of the class stories, especially when you travel to Voss.

On the contrary it makes perfect sense. Precedence has already been set. You're just choosing to ignore it.

There are even Gormak out there despite Voss not wanting them to leave because "the last Gormak must not die"

sigh There's none so blind as those who will not listen.

It will simply not happen.

Edited by Ylliarus

On the contrary it makes perfect sense. Precedence has already been set. You're just choosing to ignore it.

There are even Gormak out there despite Voss not wanting them to leave because "the last Gormak must not die"

No, it certainly does not make perfect sense and claiming precendence will not help to push your agenda, because the existing precedence of conflicting species and dialogue options is of a very miniscule magnitude compared to what we would have with the Voss as a playable species. Beside the extremely strange sight of seeing flocks of Voss characters on the early planets you specifically choose to ignore an entire planetary and eight(!) different class story archs that would cease to make any sense at all and thrown out straight into the trash bin. That might be totally fine with you but not with everyone else and especially not, I assume, with the writers behind this game.

Now It is not impossible and it could be theoretically done with lots of limitations and reworks requiring an obscene amount of dev time, but it is definitely not as simple as you make it out to be.

Edited by Phazonfreak

No, it certainly does not make perfect sense and claiming precendence will not help to push your agenda, because the existing precedence of conflicting species and dialogue options is of a very miniscule magnitude compared to what we would have with the Voss as a playable species. Beside the extremely strange sight of seeing flocks of Voss characters on the early planets you specifically choose to ignore an entire planetary and eight(!) different class story archs that would cease to make any sense at all and thrown out straight into the trash bin. That might be totally fine with you but not with everyone else and especially not, I assume, with the writers behind this game.

Hitting the nail right on the head there, mate. I completely agree.

*Precedent*. Use of "precedence" in this context derives from a common combined mispronunciation and mishearing of "precedents".

And the examples you cite are all things that happen during / after the base stories (class and <Story Arc>) as they pertain to Voss.

Think about what it's going to sound like when your Voss-species character gets told about this mysterious planet that's only just been discovered, and how weird it's going to feel to be unable to say, "Oh, yeah, Voss. Home of my people," or something like that. Or when every third Voss you speak to tries to refuse what you're asking because "You are not Voss", and the others ignore you because you're not one of them. Or when Bas-Ton (spoiler)

Sits in his tea house and complains about the downside of being Voss, all their bad breath and so on, and basically ignores the fact that the Agent in front of him is better suited for the job of Imperial infiltrator on Voss than he is, by the simple fact that the Agent is Voss and Bas-Ton, underneath it all, is not.

Think about how all those things are going to cause problems, to say nothing of the problems of armour and so on (Voss do not use any of the human-like body types).

That's just one side quest. The Voss is an entire planetary arc and galactic war plot point. Wouldn't fit in the slightest.

There's a small 2-sentence bullet at the bottom of this reddit post regarding Voss as a 3rd neutral faction: https://www.reddit.com/r/swtor/comments/bt7avm/deep_dive_canceled_swtor_content/.

I wonder if that has anything to do with why the Voss were never made to be a playable race.

PS - wb kodrac

Edited by Rion_Starkiller