Denova HM 8, Kephess droids calibrating until inmune to damage

Personally I haven't noticed any difference from before.

Why do you split the DPS? Why not just have a tank interrupt a droid each, and send the 4 DPS on their "own" droid? Surely 4 DPS can handle interrupts between them, and the debuff synergy means that stacking DPS on 1 target is more effective.

Buff casts every 6 seconds, and has a .5s channel

Buff adds 12% damage, 12% mittigation

Buff stacks LINEARLY

Tanks have an 8-12s timer on their interrupt typically as far as I am aware (IANATank, I am a Sentinel)

That is BAD.

If you split DPS, you have a greater chance of managing the debuff BUT you have a greater chance of getting wiped out by the damn barrage

This really is just a poor, poor choice on the part of the devs.

Anyone know if this was on the PTS?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like everyone here we went *** at the droids but it appears they have just fixed it so its now how it should have been.

Anyways we did the same as some of the other posters 4 DPS on mid droid tank and healer on other two for interrupts etc and when we did that wasn't to hard to be honest. It does affect slightly the timing for the first bomb guy but after that we found it was the same as always after that..

I liked the droids were not a complete faceroll anymore to be honest

Like everyone here we went *** at the droids but it appears they have just fixed it so its now how it should have been.

Anyways we did the same as some of the other posters 4 DPS on mid droid tank and healer on other two for interrupts etc and when we did that wasn't to hard to be honest. It does affect slightly the timing for the first bomb guy but after that we found it was the same as always after that..

I liked the droids were not a complete faceroll anymore to be honest

Well tbh atm it's too difficult for people in plain rakata gear. Requiring even the healers to interrupt is a bit too much... They should raise the timer for the shot to 6, 7 seconds so just 2 people per droid are needed to interrupt all the shots. With 12 second interrupts atm you need at least 3 people for each droid in most cases

[Edit: AND, most important, fixed or not, this is quite of a big deal and it wasn't reported in anyway. This should not happen]

Edited by GeckoOBac

We ran into this problem last night. Though, after doing some research, it just so happens this type of mechanic, "Kephess droids calibrating until immune to damage", is a 16 HM EC mechanic. With that in mind, here's hoping Bioware rectifies the issue rather soon, and takes the mechanic out of 8 player HM EC. Edited by Aldamar

Tried this last night. We eventually just gave up. I can see this as being doable but we just did not have the will to push on with it. We've been doing this boss for months, the change looks like it was either meant for NM or it got imported from the 16m version. I'm all for new challenges, but at least release NM for this. HM should not have been changed. No word from the devs on this is worry-some.

Seriously? Guilds which had this encounter on farm GAVE UP when faced with these new changes?

We haven't even beaten the encounter: we came back in here to try to get our first kill, and ran into the new mechanics. It took us about 3 attempts to work out a reasonable strat, at which point we stopped wiping on this phase and continued to try to finish the encounter.

Tank+sentinel on 1: no calibrations get off ever.

Three dps on 2: no calibrations get off ever, and they move over to 3 when theirs is dead.

Tank on 3: 2-4 calibrations on this one, depending on how the tank+healer combo was doing on interrupts, before the three dps move over and destroy it.

Seriously? Guilds which had this encounter on farm GAVE UP when faced with these new changes?

We haven't even beaten the encounter: we came back in here to try to get our first kill, and ran into the new mechanics. It took us about 3 attempts to work out a reasonable strat, at which point we stopped wiping on this phase and continued to try to finish the encounter.

Tank+sentinel on 1: no calibrations get off ever.

Three dps on 2: no calibrations get off ever, and they move over to 3 when theirs is dead.

Tank on 3: 2-4 calibrations on this one, depending on how the tank+healer combo was doing on interrupts, before the three dps move over and destroy it.

I think we gave up because we just don't care anymore. These changes should have been posted. If it's a new NM mechanic then it should have been posted. If it's a mistake and it's the 16 man mechanic in 8 man then it should have been posted. Why change an op that has been the same way if a NM version is coming soon? We all play other games too. We spent a month trying to take him down and the change just made us not care. I logged and played Borderlands.

I think we gave up because we just don't care anymore. These changes should have been posted. If it's a new NM mechanic then it should have been posted. If it's a mistake and it's the 16 man mechanic in 8 man then it should have been posted. Why change an op that has been the same way if a NM version is coming soon? We all play other games too. We spent a month trying to take him down and the change just made us not care. I logged and played Borderlands.

Ding Ding Ding.

Kephess was the easiest boss to learn of HM EC. Tricky mechanics, but not too many of them. It's a one screw up and you're done sort of boss (Wooo taunt timing!)

We already know how to one shot every boss in the instance when it is performing as expected, this added mechanic is a waste of our time knowing that it couldn't be normal.

Would rather bang our heads against TFB HM than waste time wiping on kephess.

Yup, your reason for stopping makes sense. And handling the interrupts is truly irritating. And it should have been in the patch notes. And they shouldn't be changing the encounter at this point anyway.

You were just making it sound like this change made the encounter much more difficult, which is really not true. The change is very very manageable.

We just finished our 3rd HM EC group this week, first two were pre patch luckily. But this new mechanic is possible to beat. Anywho couple of screenshots for those who may have been discouraged by this new mechanic. Oh this was mostly an alt run to btw.

http://files.enjin.com.s3.amazonaws.com/268323/module_gallery/original/826222.jpg

http://files.enjin.com.s3.amazonaws.com/268323/module_gallery/original/826223.jpg

We did this in 8-man HM last night and it caught us off guard. But once we figured out what we had to do, it wasn't a big deal. Put a tank and a healer on each of the outside ones, swapping interrupts. All DPS on the middle one doing the same while they kill it. When it went down, burn the outside ones one at a time.

It turns what was a previously trivial part of the fight into something that you have to put a little work into, but it isn't that bad. We only wiped on that part once, the first time when we didn't know about it. After that, we were able to clear it.

It seems like a pain in the *** at first, but it is no big deal. You don't even have to get every interrupt. We were missing like every 4th one on the tank/healer side, bc the healers' would be on CD. Also, we had 2 dps mercs in the group, and they haven't quite mastered their new interrupt yet.

Our group composition sucked in terms of interrupts too. 2 powertech tanks, 2 op heaers, 2 merc dps, and 2 snipers. But some people are acting like you have to be other-worldly to complete this fight now, and it just isn't the case. We had 2 people in there who had never cleared the HM on any toon, and at least 2 others who had never cleared it on the toons they were running last night, including my powertech tank who exists mostly for huttball, and I am not good with this toon at all in PVE.

It all comes down to fundamentals. If you could clear it before, you can still clear it. You just can't ignore a mechanic that you could before.

I don't get it , people complain about needing new content, or how easy the content is and now qq about it. TFB is new content and if you think about it, the changes to EC is new content, why should BW have to warn you? isn't that part of a raid to learn something new, hell people are saying they farmed EC and now complain how much harder it is and was given no warning .I don't agree with harder content and less reward as stated earlier.

The changes to HM EC are refreshing, but unfortunately it's not enough to make it genuine challenge.

Despite the added mechanic, if you've had it on farm for month after month all this does is add a couple wipes to Kephess while you learn the mechanic.

Bring on Nightmare!

I don't get it , people complain about needing new content, or how easy the content is and now qq about it. TFB is new content and if you think about it, the changes to EC is new content, why should BW have to warn you? isn't that part of a raid to learn something new, hell people are saying they farmed EC and now complain how much harder it is and was given no warning .I don't agree with harder content and less reward as stated earlier.

It's not new content, It's just a bug fix.. A very annoying fix because not all classes have teh same CD on their interupts.

I have noticed this to in 8 man denova, only recently since 1.4 came out. This better be a mistake, otherwise this guy is getting too hard to kill. A lot of people still havent killed him yet, and making him harder isnt going to help. My guild is so fed up to the point that alot are probably just going to just give up with the game and end their subscription. Bioware really needs to pay attention to the common gamer out there, rather than the elitist ones. If swtor wants to stay afloat, there needs to be some changes with the difficulty in some of these operations.

Cleared it again last night, with a group composed primarily of pugs. I think half the group had never cleared HM on any toon.

This new mechanic did not cause any problems. There is no reason to let it. Just figure out a strategy that works for you and don't freak out about it. It really isn't that hard. If everyone does their job, it is an easy part of the fight.

It may be a bug fix but for an 8 man group its a bit silly. They adjusted the cast time from 1.5 to 1, you have to have 9 people all doing interrupts on the droids to catch them all, then you also have to hope no one lags at all? I mean really? For an 8 person group its a really bad mechanic even if it was in place before and not working. Bioware you really need to do more testing before sending your patches out. If you can catch stuff like this then your just going to run more of your players off.

Yeah my group hit this tonight. To us this appeared to be a bug, and a pain of one too. We opted to not bang our heads on it this evening, to see what BW says about it.

As others have said, given the varied interrupt times of classes you need 3 people on each bot. Which for 8man is impossible.

I have no doubts we can beat it, as can any other group that has mastered the encounter before. But, this does make it harder, and does create a fair amount of discrepancy between group composition effecting the ability to complete the encounter.

It also means your DPS all have be on their A game and pump out 1400dps, and interrupt, and stay alive on the first bot with light heals.

If this is intentional, and indicative of future paths, the Devs are weeding down the the player base who will be able to complete Hard Modes. Which would be counter to what has been stated in the past.

Really Really need a BW post here.

This change was unnanounced, meaning that it is either a mistake (bug) or a "feature" that they simply didn't think to mention.

If the former... we're really getting tired of the bugs, to the point where people in my guild are starting to seriously reconsider their move to SWTOR.

If the latter, then I'm seriously concerned about the design direction being taken by Bioware. My guild is a casual 8 man guild that's managed to down Kephess HM a few times, mainly because we have some very strong players who make up for the otherwise casual playstyle. Those strong players cannot make up for the amount of interrupts and dps required to down the three bots before they become invincible. Three of our dps are mercenaries, some of whom have not had to interrupt anything in an operation/raid setting in over a year (or ever). So, there's definitely a bit of a shock factor to overcome.

Even with two players with a 12 second interrupt we're guaranteed to miss every 3rd interrupt because of how often the droids are casting the buff. On top of that, the cast timer was reduced from 1.5 seconds to 1 second, which means that even the slightest big of lag guarantees a missed interrupt. The sheer amount of interrupts required is actually beyond what a best case scenario 8 man operation can succesfully interrupt. For those ops teams who are heavy loaded with 12 second interrupts, like us, it becomes nigh on impossible. Especially when so much of our dps relies on uninterrupted casting, rather than instant attacks. We should not be forced to replace classes because they have a long interrupt cooldown.

To completely change the difficulty of a fight in this manner makes no sense to me. HM Kephess was already sufficiently difficult for ops teams that haven't been farming the content for ages. Our own guild would've had HM Kephess on farm a while ago were it not for a rash of players from our guild leaving the game. Even so, we wouldn't have seen any reason to increase the difficulty of HM Kephiss, when there will still be NiM EC and HM TFB to pose a challenge to ops teams seeking one.

As much as I hope that this was all just a bug, that almost scares me just as much. Either way, please change it back. I'm honestly shocked that this made it live with 1.4.

Edited by Craftamancer