Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Virulence / Dirty Fighting Set Bonuses and Tactical Items

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Gunslinger / Sniper
Virulence / Dirty Fighting Set Bonuses and Tactical Items
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

EricMusco
04.16.2019 , 09:52 AM | #1 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Hey folks,

Following our Onslaught announcement at SW Celebration we want to start diving into feedback right away. I want to use this thread to talk about Tactical Item effects and Set Bonuses for Virulence and Dirty Fighting Disciplines. Our goal for set bonuses is to introduce new bonuses, and potentially with even new sizes so you can mix and match. Tactical Items are a new item type that is meant to be build defining and most likely to directly impact how an ability works. For inspiration here are two completely made up Chain Lightning Examples:
  1. Chain Lightning now does all of its total damage to only one target, and no longer jumps.
  2. Chain Lightning now jumps even more and does additional damage to secondary targets.

That would allow you to take a standard ability and allow it to be modified to fit your playstyle. Please use this thread to brainstorm ideas and make as many recommendations as you would like! For context:
  • Tactical Items: These should modify one of your Advanced Class/Discipline abilities to work differently. The goal is for you to use the ability in situations you previously wouldn’t (more often, against specific targets, etc)
  • Set Bonuses: These should be focused on the broader “kind of tools” your class uses, but not specific abilities. Some examples are sets that center around bleeds, force damage, lightning, shields, cover, and so on.
Set bonuses, tacticals, both, let us know what you would like to see. I may not respond frequently in this thread but know that I am going to be compiling everything and sending it over to the team.

-eric
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

FlameYOL
04.16.2019 , 11:09 AM | #2
Maybe a tactical item that reduces the range or area-of-effect from suppressing fire but adds a damage-over-time effect?
A man can have anything...If he's willing to sacrifice everything

go_rogue
04.16.2019 , 12:27 PM | #3
I'd like to see a tactical item that affects two abilities: Corrosive Grenade/Shrap Bomb and Suppressive Fire/Sweeping Blasters. How I see this working is that the Corrosive Grenade would be more powerful (cause more damage on initial impact and more damage per tick and impact a radius at double its standard impact) and Suppressive Fire would have a poison effect like Cull to allow for more damage output for AOE attacks. Real world example: Corruptor Zero fight. I toss a corrosive dart and a corrosive grenade onto a trash mob in the middle. It hits all the targets within a 20 meter radius instead of (I'm making up the original number because I can't remember offhand) 10 meters. The corrosive dart/grenade combo is now melting away the targets at double the damage (dart still at normal damage). Then I lay down suppressive fire with the poison effect from Cull added into Suppressive Fire, and now corrosive dart and corrosive grenade are doing even more damage than before. In addition, in fights like the Hive Queen, I could lay down a Corrosive Dart > Corrosive Grenade > Cull and switch to a Royal Guardian and let the Corrosive Grenade tick at higher damage than before on the Hive Queen while dealing with secondary targets of interest.

Overall, this would put in place an AOE system similar to Corrosive Dart > Corrosive Grenade > Weakening Blast > Cull except for multiple targets for AOE heavy fights, like Corruptor Zero, Hive Queen, etc.

shyroman
04.16.2019 , 12:34 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by go_rogue View Post
I'd like to see a tactical item that affects two abilities: Corrosive Grenade/Shrap Bomb and Suppressive Fire/Sweeping Blasters. How I see this working is that the Corrosive Grenade would be more powerful (cause more damage on initial impact and more damage per tick and impact a radius at double its standard impact) and Suppressive Fire would have a poison effect like Cull to allow for more damage output for AOE attacks. Real world example: Corruptor Zero fight. I toss a corrosive dart and a corrosive grenade onto a trash mob in the middle. It hits all the targets within a 20 meter radius instead of (I'm making up the original number because I can't remember offhand) 10 meters. The corrosive dart/grenade combo is now melting away the targets at double the damage (dart still at normal damage). Then I lay down suppressive fire with the poison effect from Cull added into Suppressive Fire, and now corrosive dart and corrosive grenade are doing even more damage than before. In addition, in fights like the Hive Queen, I could lay down a Corrosive Dart > Corrosive Grenade > Cull and switch to a Royal Guardian and let the Corrosive Grenade tick at higher damage than before on the Hive Queen while dealing with secondary targets of interest.

Overall, this would put in place an AOE system similar to Corrosive Dart > Corrosive Grenade > Weakening Blast > Cull except for multiple targets for AOE heavy fights, like Corruptor Zero, Hive Queen, etc.
Or maybe something kinda similar to that, but instead suppressive fire acts like every tick also applies weakening blast. So on a target that has both dots, if you suppressive fire that target, for each tick of suppressive fire, you get a 2 ticks of weakening blast on that target because it has both dots.
Ryann - Sniper | Ryannack - Sorcerer | Apophas - Marauder
Jesicca - Mercenary | Lindseey - Gunslinger
Origin - Honey Badgers
Star Forge

go_rogue
04.16.2019 , 12:38 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by shyroman View Post
Or maybe something kinda similar to that, but instead suppressive fire acts like every tick also applies weakening blast. So on a target that has both dots, if you suppressive fire that target, for each tick of suppressive fire, you get a 2 ticks of weakening blast on that target because it has both dots.
Yes, that! I haven't had my morning coffee to properly convey thoughts to words yet, so you better explained what I was trying to say on that. Thank you.

memerobot
04.17.2019 , 09:59 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by go_rogue View Post
I'd like to see a tactical item that affects two abilities: Corrosive Grenade/Shrap Bomb and Suppressive Fire/Sweeping Blasters.

Are you saying the AOE would work like cull?
As much as this would be nice, this would be too powerful. Think of the ranked

Storm-Cutter
04.17.2019 , 12:05 PM | #7
I mostly main Viri and DF DPS these days, though have played all roles over most of the classes in the past.

Id like to see a choice between spreading the DoT on more targets or narrowing it to a few. - But overall the damage total would be the same over the duration.

- Then you could fine-tune your DF/Viri class for certain PvE objectives - such as lots of adds

or narrow the scope for PvP - when you're less likely to have only a few tightly grouped enemy players in one space.

IDK whether these proposals can be flipped depending on what PVP map pops, but If you're gonna mess with what we currently call utilities then you need this to be switchable - at least on a map-by-map basis if not encounter by encounter.

ATM I'm kinda okay with the class and rotation. - don't go messing that up too much. It'd be nice to see some harder solo PVE encounters where you have to go through the full rotation at least a few times..... Since most things melt really easy - especially with a DPS companion in tow.... You rarely get to freecast in PVP so going through several rotations is actually quite a rarity.

Overall though If I'm honest. Fine tuning the balance between classes is always gonna be better than introducing a whole set of new variables - unless you're gonna do balance passes every few weeks to ensure it is working correctly..... Past history suggests otherwise.
-Storm Cutter.
Like my comment? Refer me and also give a homeless Bantha a new start in life. Just click here.
Cool lightsabre art: ****.**================

Toraak
04.18.2019 , 09:34 AM | #8
Tactical:

what about removing the weakened state of the DoT (Corrosive dart, and Grenade) but having the non weakened DoT do double damage. This would cause us to refresh the DoT's more frequently, This could cause a slight rotation change.
Referral Link: www.swtor.com/r/Q4Tp3P

LilSaihah
04.18.2019 , 12:00 PM | #9
Very exciting!

- Some kind of effect that backloads the damage of our two DOTs would be a very good idea. Reduce the damage across the board by something like 25% but each tick increases the damage dealt by 10-15%.

- Reduce the duration of your DOTs by 33% but increase the damage by 33%, for solo-oriented players.

- Reduces the duration of Weakening Shot or increases the cooldown, but also increases the bonus damage it grants.

- A piece that lets your Orbital Strike apply your DOTs, so you can use the cooldown with target switching or just make fight openings a little bit slimmer. Or a Cull-style bonus damage effect for Orbital Strike?

- Replace your Corrosive Grenade with Corrosive Mine. Exactly the same skill, but if it doesn't deal any damage on anything at the target area, it creates a mine instead.
The Ebon Hawk
Sarrina | Nazani
Erinya | Tinaria | Laife

go_rogue
04.20.2019 , 12:45 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by memerobot View Post
Are you saying the AOE would work like cull?
As much as this would be nice, this would be too powerful. Think of the ranked
They could make the tactical item be unusable for PVP so it wouldn't make a Virulence sniper OP with AOE. In fact, I approve of my idea being a PVE-only tactical item. I'd want something else entirely different taking my sniper into a warzone. But what that is, I'll leave that for the more PVP-oriented players to come up with.