Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Marksmanship / Sharpshooter Set Bonuses and Tactical Items

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Gunslinger / Sniper
Marksmanship / Sharpshooter Set Bonuses and Tactical Items
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

EricMusco
04.16.2019 , 09:50 AM | #1 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Hey folks,

Following our Onslaught announcement at SW Celebration we want to start diving into feedback right away. I want to use this thread to talk about Tactical Item effects and Set Bonuses for Marksmanship and Sharpshooter Disciplines. Our goal for set bonuses is to introduce new bonuses, and potentially with even new sizes so you can mix and match. Tactical Items are a new item type that is meant to be build defining and most likely to directly impact how an ability works. For inspiration here are two completely made up Chain Lightning Examples:
  1. Chain Lightning now does all of its total damage to only one target, and no longer jumps.
  2. Chain Lightning now jumps even more and does additional damage to secondary targets.

That would allow you to take a standard ability and allow it to be modified to fit your playstyle. Please use this thread to brainstorm ideas and make as many recommendations as you would like! For context:
  • Tactical Items: These should modify one of your Advanced Class/Discipline abilities to work differently. The goal is for you to use the ability in situations you previously wouldn’t (more often, against specific targets, etc)
  • Set Bonuses: These should be focused on the broader “kind of tools” your class uses, but not specific abilities. Some examples are sets that center around bleeds, force damage, lightning, shields, cover, and so on.
Set bonuses, tacticals, both, let us know what you would like to see. I may not respond frequently in this thread but know that I am going to be compiling everything and sending it over to the team.

-eric
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

shyroman
04.16.2019 , 10:24 AM | #2
I don't know how feasible this would be to implement, but making ambush somewhat like a straight line aoe ability like dual saber throw would be kinda cool as a tactical item. Surely a shot that hits someone so hard in the head would go through them and have collateral damage to other things in the line of fire. Perhaps making it so that all other targets that aren't the primary target selected get hit with reduced damage.
Ryann - Sniper | Ryannack - Sorcerer | Apophas - Marauder
Jesicca - Mercenary | Lindseey - Gunslinger
Origin - Honey Badgers
Star Forge

shyroman
04.16.2019 , 11:03 AM | #3
A set bonus could be that all mainhand crits (to avoid differences between snipers and slingers) reduce the cooldown of sniper volley by X seconds. This would make the rotation feel very new and different while also keeping the core identity of the spec the same. Maybe in addition to that, getting a crit with penetrating blasts reduces the cooldown of laze target by X seconds. Those 2 in combination with each other would create an interesting multiplier to themselves. More crits equals more sniper volley which equals more penetrating blasts which equals more laze targets which equals more crits.
Origin - Honey Badgers
Star Forge

sharkfishman
04.16.2019 , 11:19 AM | #4
Orbital strike:
(Decimate) Orbital strike deals "X" times damage when used against a single target.
(Irradiate) Orbital strike's area of effect is 50% larger and irradiates enemies caught in the blast, dealing "X" damage over 12 seconds.
(Charged strike) Orbital strike now has 6 blasts that deal 1.5 x damage. Ability CD is increased.
(Kill Beam) Orbital strike becomes a channeled ability dealing X damage each second for for 6 seconds.

Note: To give effective feedback, we need to know how much the team can alter existing animations (like Kill Beam, which would be a constant - "Kolto Strike" animation instead of several blasts).
For my friends, click my referral link for awesome free stuff.
For my enemies, click it just to spite me.

"Don't get cocky."

sharkfishman
04.16.2019 , 11:32 AM | #5
Wrong Thread.

"Don't get cocky."

shyroman
04.16.2019 , 11:33 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by sharkfishman View Post
Tactical Item: Engineering Discipline

Explosive probe:

(Shockwave) Explosive Probe receives a (15/20?)-meter blast radius. Damage dealt increases further from the center.
(Shrapnel) Explosive Probe places a bleed on its target, dealing X damage for X seconds.
(MIRV) Upon exploding, Explosive Probe releases three secondary grenades in X radius, dealing X damage and releasing 2 additional grenades each.
(Timebomb) Explosive Probe detonates after 10 seconds, dealing massive damage to the target and all enemies within 5 meters.
Remember that there are different threads for all the different specs, might want to move this over to the engineering thread. At least for the spec specific suggestions.
Origin - Honey Badgers
Star Forge

sharkfishman
04.16.2019 , 12:15 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by shyroman View Post
Remember that there are different threads for all the different specs, might want to move this over to the engineering thread. At least for the spec specific suggestions.
Yeah, sigh. I just noticed, lol. Thanks.

"Don't get cocky."

Monumenta
04.17.2019 , 12:33 PM | #8
I dont think I have enough information about these Tactical Items yet to really suggest anything properly but Im hoping for crazy stuff like droid slicing, rocket launchers, stealth generators, dathamyr witch amulets with force powers, light sabers (and blasters for jedis), heals, shields for off tanking, teleportation devices, proton packs, orbital strikes and orbital support like on makeb, or a second companion like that droid in fps or like that scavenged blue med droid in mando raiders, I really like that blue med droid.

Im expecting something underwhelming like faster travel or another ability refresh. maybe at best finally a slow or root ability everyone cant just cleanse through.

Azerraak
04.18.2019 , 07:24 AM | #9
I'd like to see a scope type item/bonus that increases the range of rifle attacks the longer you stay in cover. For example you could get additional range per stack of stealth detection built up. Maybe even a clicky that works in a way similar to macrobinoculars so you would trade your field of vision and mobility for extra range on certain aimed attacks (snipe/ambush/followthrough/takedown but not grenades, darts or basic rifle shots etc).

RaanJassa
04.19.2019 , 02:52 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Azerraak View Post
I'd like to see a scope type item/bonus ......
I would too. I know will sound OP, but Musco did say we should go crazy and that the team could balance it out.

So, I propose a scoping tactical item that allows Marksman/Sharpshooters (or any sniper really) the ability to scope out like a GSF gunship/or the Macobinoculars to just hit a target at extreme range. The sniper/slinger would have to actually score a hit on a target as the GSF gunship does. I think the sniper would then feel like an actual sniper. I also think this would add more tactical complexity to fights . Both sides would have snipers/gunslingers with this ability to even out pvp play (in theory, barring matchup mixtures), AND of course you know the devs would implement interesting enemies to fight against in pve.