Why so whiney?

Letallis

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess what you don't realize is that the Mythic team made this game, and they are not new to MMOs: they just never learn from their mistakes.

I don't think it's to late, but I'm wondering what a dungeon finder is going to accomplish when your subs are below a thousand on these servers....

It seems like the head honcho at EA hasn't put a gun to anyone's head yet.

I have posted this on a few other threads, but i think it sums up everything.

People bought this game, expecting it to be World of Star Warscraft. They wanted to log in and make their Jedi and kick Darth Arthas' butt in a week...then beat his master, Darth Deathwing. They wanted to create their worg...sorry...wookie and name him XxchewbaccaxX or some variant thereof. They wanted to create a gobl...pardon...jawa, and run around screaming "UTINNI FOR THE HORDE!" They wanted World of Star Warscraft, with all the expansions. What they have, instead, is something better, IMHO. They have Star Wars.

Every time someone posts something about how the game is glitchy, I laugh till it hurts. WoW had Captain Placeholder (look him up) to cover a bug with their transport systems between two cities. Captain Placeholder was in WoW AT BETA...and wasn't removed until the bug was solved....about six months after the game was officially released! Anyone remember when Burning Crusade dropped? For the next several months, Blizz was patching the game every week...and then having to hotfix, or mini-patch, or shutdown-patch-restart the servers for DAYS afterwards.

So much QQ here, that it made me think about unsubbing. It truly shows here that what kind of community swtor has.

Sadly, there isn't more QQ here than in the other popular mmo general forums. Go look, you'll see. Also, only a fraction (wild guess, 5%) of the player base actually takes the time and bothers posting messages here. I highly doubt the forum population is representative of the whole SWTOR population.

So yeah, SWTOR is filled with interesting, intelligent and civilized players. I meet them all the time in game. :)

People whine when they play bad games, SWTOR has large number of whiners (my self included) because game is really really bad (cant believe i payed for new Warhammer trash game with lightsabers).

If you think this game isnt bad then this is either your first MMO, you are a SW fanatic or just plain dumb.

I think the forums are worse than any problems with the game.

This. And whining is contagious. This whole "game is dying" thing went viral. The server I'm playing on doesn't really have population problems, pretty much same numbers on the fleet and planets as 2-3 months ago. The General chat is suddenly full of discussions on the topic "the server is dying". Even in my guild which is very active and numerous there are often chats around how the game is dying, and GW2 is going to kill it, and so on. Some people read forums and then spread this around to the people who don't read forums, and negative stuff spreads easier.

First off I want to point out the irony of a thread with so much complaining about people complaining, along with a healthy amount of pretension seeping through most of it. It seems like it has been derailed from why are people frustrated to QQers really make me mad. Regardless, I'll express my reasons for the former, with a little background first.

I really enjoyed this game. I spent a long time playing, grinded a significant amount of dailies, "found" all the holocrons (I'll admit I used walkthroughs heh), was running operations regularly, and generally having a great time. I was a bodyguard bounty hunter that mostly did pve, with some time in Illum. I was also a guild master of a small group of friends, and regularly helped them get through lowbie content. I was excited to be able to start running 8 man raids with a guild only group, as we were having to pair up with another. Both of our guilds were looking forward to finally trying some 16 man ones as well.

I have been playing MMO's for a long time, and I typically have a lot of tolerance for issues that can and will be ironed out. There may have been minimal end game content, but I played City of Heroes (among others) for a very long time, so I'm certainly used to that as well.

My frustration, and why I unsubscribed to this game, really boils down to healer changes in 1.2. I want to be constantly advancing in an MMO. Even if it is small and incremental, I want to feel like my time was well spent in game, both on individual nights and over the course of the entire game. Once my mercenary's resource management efficiency was drastically reduced, I realized that my character, in a columi/rakata blend, before 1.2 is the most powerful he's ever going to be. No gear will offset these changes, regardless of how much time and effort I put into attaining them. No L2P "encouragement" is going to raise the potential of my character to what it was. Now I really feel like I've beaten the game.

Did I have fun? Sure, a lot of it. Could I adapt and still have fun? Maybe. Since the majority of my enjoyment hinges on the excitement of what's new on the horizon, and only seeing my character crippled when quite honestly I believed the buzz about being buffed before the notes were posted, I just can't justify my time investment anymore. It really felt like a stab in the back.

If other bodyguards want to continue on, and pick up the pieces of their shattered class, I tip my hat to them. You have far more constitution for playing an eviscerated character than I do.

People whine when they play bad games, SWTOR has large number of whiners (my self included) because game is really really bad (cant believe i payed for new Warhammer trash game with lightsabers).

If you think this game isnt bad then this is either your first MMO, you are a SW fanatic or just plain dumb.

I feel sorry for those who has nothing better to do than to bash people who do what enjoys them.

I'll say this. Whiners can whine, I still like this game.

Edited by Worfalh

Post after post of people that want to complain about SWTOR. For whatever reason.... why can't anyone realize this game is in it's infancy stages still. WoW has years of working out bugs and fixing issues, but people still want to compare.

To me this game rocks. It may have it's problems but what new software doesn't? The subtle nuances in the cut out scenes, the story lines. To me it's all pretty great. Sure there maybe issues, but like I said. This game is comparatively new in the MMO world.

You're not going to get 100% of what you want 100% of the time. You can't get it in real life and you're sure not going to get it here. Relax and enjoy this game for what it is. A chance to be a part of a awesome story. That fact that I get to walk around on my Sith Warrior like Lord Vader makes waiting on bug fixes and growing pains of the software very palatable.

This wasn't meant to be a shot at anyone making complaints but more about realizing we do have a great game. To me it's better than sitting around with 20 sided die trying to figure out if I got a saving roll or not. (no offense to table top gamers). This is great fun and great entertainment. Just relax and enjoy the ride. They'll get this stuff lined out sooner or later.

Good luck, and have fun!!!!!:wea_08::wea_08:

As another poster said, there is a difference between incessant QQing and pointing flaws of the game out so that they can be IMPROVED.

When you make a blanket statement such as this it is no different than me claiming that every person that likes the game is a blind fanboi/girl and adds absolutely nothing in terms of discussion and makes any of your opinions suspect to say the least.

You are QQing like the whiners who have unrealistic demands- it is really no different IMHO...

As another poster said, there is a difference between incessant QQing and pointing flaws of the game out so that they can be IMPROVED.

When you make a blanket statement such as this it is no different than me claiming that every person that likes the game is a blind fanboi/girl and adds absolutely nothing in terms of discussion and makes any of your opinions suspect to say the least.

You are QQing like the whiners who have unrealistic demands- it is really no different IMHO...

I don't mind someone pointing flaws of the game but when it's the 5th time you read the same initial statement in a new thread, it's just ridiculous and annoying. It's like some people don't bother at all searching in the forum. And don't tell me it'd take too much time searching, come on... It's so easy to check if there's already a thread about some aspect of the game.

But the worst, by far, must be all those "we want server merges, right now!" threads. Alright, we got it! We know it's an issue! I believe that most players are aware of it and Bioware too! So please, in the name of everything you cherish, stop starting another one of those threads!

And to all of you who'll reply that this is normal, it's part of any mmo forums, I will say this. We have the opportunity to create a better forum! We're mature, intelligent, reasonable and civilized gamers. We don't have to repeat the same mistakes again and again. We're better than that!

Edited by Sammm

I don't mind someone pointing flaws of the game but when it's the 5th time you read the same initial statement in a new thread, it's just ridiculous and annoying. It's like some people don't bother at all searching in the forum. And don't tell me it'd take too much time searching, come on... It's so easy to check if there's already a thread about some aspect of the game.

But the worst, by far, must be all those "we want server merges, right now!" threads. Alright, we got it! We know it's an issue! I believe that most players are aware of it and Bioware too! So please, in the name of everything you cherish, stop starting another one of those threads!

And to all of you who'll reply that this is normal, it's part of any mmo forums, I will say this. We have the opportunity to create a better forum! We're mature, intelligent, reasonable and civilized gamers. We don't have to repeat the same mistakes again and again. We're better than that!

I agree that we see the merge or transfer threads over and over here. I'm assuming that many of the newer posts are by people coming to the forums perhaps for the first time to vent their frustration.

On the other hand, there are many other threads that get repeated and sometimes it may be just better to start off a new thread instead of grave digging a older one.

Also, as annoying as it is, like the saying goes, "The squeaky wheel gets the grease." Multiple threads on the same topic undoubtedly will get the attention of BW more so than if they saw only a few on the topic. It's only logical to assume that BW will come to the conclusion that the biggest problems are the ones they see the most posts on. I would think that would be one of the metrics (right or wrong) that they use to determine what are perceived to be the biggest issues that need to be addressed.

This HAS been the nature of the forums in relation to MMOs and many people do bring up issues like this because they feel that it will be more likely for their issue to be recognized by BW. Like it or not, this is not something that will probably change and I believe the devs use the forums like as I said, as a tool to measure player sentiment.

Edited by Monave

Amazing, a simple statement saying relax and enjoy the game gets twisted into you're a whiner too.. LOL

In this day and age many people want instant gratification. A "I want it now" attitude with unrealistic expectations.

I simply was trying to say that this game is a lot of fun even with the mistakes and bugs. If the game is causing that much ire in people's lives I suggest you move on to a different game....and eventually you'll do the same thing you're doing now, complaining.

As for devs watching the forums.. if they are anything like the devs I work with I doubt they have a lot of time to read through all the serious and childish posts in these forums. There maybe some co-op sitting around for them trying to get a "feel" for what people want or complain about but that's about it.

It's not easy or quick to change software it's that simple. It takes time and not everything gets fixed at once. I still say roll with it. If you can't then that's your choice. Being able to walk up to a dev (and I have done this) and say *** is your problem didn't get the fixes needed done any faster. I still say the game has its good points and for the time being I focus on the fact that I enjoy the story lines and general play.

Good, Bad? I'm the guy that pays my subscription... so for now I'll keep enjoying and see if BW can shake the problems out over time. I am still having fun even though Powertechs take my lunch money in PVP.

Post after post of people that want to complain about SWTOR. For whatever reason.... why can't anyone realize this game is in it's infancy stages still. WoW has years of working out bugs and fixing issues, but people still want to compare.

To me this game rocks. It may have it's problems but what new software doesn't? The subtle nuances in the cut out scenes, the story lines. To me it's all pretty great. Sure there maybe issues, but like I said. This game is comparatively new in the MMO world.

You're not going to get 100% of what you want 100% of the time. You can't get it in real life and you're sure not going to get it here. Relax and enjoy this game for what it is. A chance to be a part of a awesome story. That fact that I get to walk around on my Sith Warrior like Lord Vader makes waiting on bug fixes and growing pains of the software very palatable.

This wasn't meant to be a shot at anyone making complaints but more about realizing we do have a great game. To me it's better than sitting around with 20 sided die trying to figure out if I got a saving roll or not. (no offense to table top gamers). This is great fun and great entertainment. Just relax and enjoy the ride. They'll get this stuff lined out sooner or later.

Good luck, and have fun!!!!!:wea_08::wea_08:

Funny post...

It reminded me 1 similar post i read on warhammer forums.

After months of no upgrades on it, after only 1 English speaking server left, fanboys kept saying : This game is still new...just give it time.....WoW had been arround for 7 years, this is ONLY 2 years old... Plz stop whining and let us enjoy (ROFL) this wonderful game.

When there are barely 10 lvl 50s on fleet on prime time on your server, what more u can enjoy in this game? Can u do flashpoints? NO. Cant u enjoy WZ wthout having to alt tab for 20 min while u w8 in queue? NO etc...

Also. I made an mmo too. The only thing that is completed, it the desktop icon. But...u know what?? ITS 1 DAY OLD!!! ONLY!!! Its on INFANCY STAGES STILL!!!!

PAY ME to "Play" it now and then w8 till more things added on it...its an 1 day mmo...give it time....but first, give me your money.

I too am enjoying the game for what it is. I try not to place too many expectations on things because the chances are that you'll be setting yourself up to be disappointed more often than not.

Yes, this is a new game as it was only released in December, but the devs behind the game have had time to spend on doing their best to develop the game. There have been numerous testing occasions (of which it is true that only so much can be accomplished from such limited testing) and the release date was delayed giving the devs even more opportunity to work on the game (including learning from their competition because I'm sure the devs themselves also have their own experience of playing MMOs too). There have been mistakes and the devs have dropped the ball with regards to certain things, especially given the time invested by both devs and those who participated in testing.

However, this is but one aspect of things. I want to see this game succeed and I'm prepared to be patient and understanding within reason considering that it will take some time for the devs to get themselves sorted in making the necessary changes that are needed. I'm sticking around because, from what I've done so far, I am enjoying the game and the stories so I'll be around for some time yet.

If people don't like the game then as has been stated they can move on and we can leave it at that rather than descending in to a session for telling people that their opinions are wrong or attempting to bash people for simply disagreeing with an opinion. With everything in life, there will be those that agree with an opinion, those that disagree with an opinion and those that aren't really bothered either way. That's because people are different.

I'm enjoying it for what it is and for what it can be and that's all that matters to me.

Funny post...

It reminded me 1 similar post i read on warhammer forums.

After months of no upgrades on it, after only 1 English speaking server left, fanboys kept saying : This game is still new...just give it time.....WoW had been arround for 7 years, this is ONLY 2 years old... Plz stop whining and let us enjoy (ROFL) this wonderful game.

When there are barely 10 lvl 50s on fleet on prime time on your server, what more u can enjoy in this game? Can u do flashpoints? NO. Cant u enjoy WZ wthout having to alt tab for 20 min while u w8 in queue? NO etc...

Also. I made an mmo too. The only thing that is completed, it the desktop icon. But...u know what?? ITS 1 DAY OLD!!! ONLY!!! Its on INFANCY STAGES STILL!!!!

PAY ME to "Play" it now and then w8 till more things added on it...its an 1 day mmo...give it time....but first, give me your money.

I played Warhammer for a month and dumped it. Just didn't like it. Didn't feel the need to tell everyone that I was so hurt and disappointed that the game failed to meet my exacting standards, I just left. There are those that take more pleasure in complaining than playing and it seems to be a lot of that here in this thread.

It seems there are deeper reasons for peoples unhappiness than an MMO. They just choose to spout their rancor here instead of where they really need to.

Amazing, a simple statement saying relax and enjoy the game gets twisted into you're a whiner too.. LOL

I think the title of your thread and what you wrote may have contributed to that but you don't seem to get the irony here...

No,because I dealt with this company: http://http://nexon.net/

• 4 weeks later...