What tree offers the best utility?

kiern

Most people tend to ask about the DPS, but I am looking for the best utility. I plan on playing an Operative, so I decided against going Scoundrel, but I still want to do more than pure DPS. I have seen by posts where people say that Gunslingers have good utility, but they don't elaborate.

Well, since scoundrel is the mirror of operative, I wanted to go in a slightly different direction with the smuggler. It was just that someone mentioned that they had a lot of utility, and others had briefly mentioned utility too. From what i have played so far, I think someone over-stated the amount of utility. :)

Looking at the skill trees I didn't see a lot of utility, but I figured the best tree, for me, would either be Saboteur or Dirty Tricks, so thanks for the input. :D

It's more pvp than pve utlity.

As a sab 32 /dirty fighter 9 build, like this (http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#700ZrIoboRrRrsZhrM.1) you have:

1. group defense buff.

2. Single target slow.

3. Group miss chance debuff.

4. 15 second cooldown on kick stun that also gives you a speed buff.

5. Area of effect dots which prevent enemy fighters from capturing flags.

All are good stuff to use in pvp.

And that's in addition to the basic smuggler/gunslinger stuff like your armor debuff shot. Flourish shot is a really handy tool to help group focus fire.

In pve though you've got some decent things. There's the ranged cover tanking, which I've used to tank more effectively than an actual tank, and the droid mez.

In PvE the scoundrel probably wins out for utility, but I think the gunslinger has more tools to use in PvP.

Edited by StealthNerf