Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

I hate how they've done switching factions

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
I hate how they've done switching factions

BunsterByne
06.23.2019 , 06:53 PM | #1
I have several characters who would probably change factions, but not a single one of them would be a spy and sabotage their former faction from the inside, they arent deceptive types.

ThomasStarWars
06.23.2019 , 09:03 PM | #2
It's definitely done poorly.

In my opinion, if you choose the faction at character creation. You should be locked to it forever. Story wise, game play wise. Only time I'd think it would work is if they added the tokens to switch factions like in WoW.

They took this game's story and absolutely tarnished it, all thanks to everyone's "favorite" KOTFE and KOTET. (2 detrimental mistakes for this game, story wise.)

IoNonSoEVero
06.23.2019 , 09:27 PM | #3
I am not liking it either. I also have characters who would switch sides outright and not engage in spy games. I also have characters who have so consistently supported the other side that nobody in their right mind SHOULD believe they still support their old faction or trust them. The saboteur story makes no sense for them.

I feel like they shouldn't have dangled the shiny of openly switching sides with Iokath if they were going to push everyone into being secret agents.

TrixxieTriss
06.23.2019 , 10:13 PM | #4
I would have like to not have to choose either and be a third faction. The other way they could do it would be to completely switch factions. Which would make complete sense for my ultra Dark Jedi or for my ultra light Merc.

SteveTheCynic
06.24.2019 , 01:22 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by BunsterByne View Post
I have several characters who would probably change factions, but not a single one of them would be a spy and sabotage their former faction from the inside, they arent deceptive types.
*Porbably* the transition isn't finished yet. Have patience, and let's see what 6.0 / Onslaught offers.
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.
> @"Biff.5312" said:
> Exercise your whimsy.

MandFlurry
06.24.2019 , 02:07 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by BunsterByne View Post
Yeah, it's bs, i hate it. But they never learn do they. I also, just wanted to be an Alliance faction.
Got CE on 7/20/11
Canderous Ordo ServerRegulator
Referral for Star Wars Goodness
http://www.swtor.com/r/hzQMWp

JuventusAndFCK
06.24.2019 , 02:56 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by ThomasStarWars View Post
In my opinion, if you choose the faction at character creation. You should be locked to it forever. Story wise, game play wise. Only time I'd think it would work is if they added the tokens to switch factions like in WoW.
In the case of SWTOR I agree, but only because the games story was not designed with faction switching in mind.
In general it can be a interesting way to contruct a story, but obviously with the world construction of a MMO in the background this is hard to pull off.

MandFlurry
06.24.2019 , 03:25 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by JuventusAndFCK View Post
In the case of SWTOR I agree, but only because the games story was not designed with faction switching in mind.
In general it can be a interesting way to contruct a story, but obviously with the world construction of a MMO in the background this is hard to pull off.
Obviously you guys haven't been doing the stories, as our characters from Each faction in the story lines can make decisions where we talk to other companions about Wanting to change our faction for the better, if not totally leave it. WTH, do you or any one else have a right to say you have to be locked in a faction, i'd tell any one to go to hell for that. Even in SWG MMO, we could change faction from Empire to Rebellion, but it was a hell of a lot faster.
Got CE on 7/20/11
Canderous Ordo ServerRegulator
Referral for Star Wars Goodness
http://www.swtor.com/r/hzQMWp

Kissakias
06.24.2019 , 03:43 AM | #9
choosing faction is something that cant change is GOOD
choosing class is that something that cant change is BAD (and dont say make another char coz speeders, companions, pets,armors cant all be moving and need way to huge time and effort to reobtain)
Join us and earn gooood rewards using my referral http://www.swtor.com/r/ZvPhZd... Be a suber today!!
--62000-achievement points--

Rolodome
06.24.2019 , 03:53 AM | #10
I suspect they're trying to buy time with the saboteur thing, with the plan being to eventually allow you to switch, if they can fit it into development time and story. The hangup likely being an enormous amount of technical work that the game was never built to support, to truly allow you to switch factions without breaking a thousand different variables.

And there are all sorts of scenarios that may be impossible or at least very annoying to account for, which makes me wonder if they even have much of a plan beyond Onslaught or if they're painting themselves into a corner (I mean, they could continue the saboteur thing for some time, but at a certain point, it'd be weird if you don't ever truly switch over... someone's gotta suspect eventually). An example of scenario that may be impossible or annoying to account for, say you have an old planetary quest for faction A and you switch to faction B. Do you just lose the quest and can now do faction B's planetary quest? Does it stay in your log but you can't complete it because you can't reach your old faction's area now? Do you hit some cutoff in the story where all old quests are considered completed and you can never go back and do them? What about other players you know on a particular faction side? Can you even play with them anymore? (I don't remember how this works normally with faction split as it is, tbh)
Clicky referral link for freebies, read how referral works.