Tech Fragment Vendor Feedback

EricMusco

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

Aside from the Kai Zykken vendor, there is also another vendor where you can spend tech fragments which is located in the supplies section of the fleet. This vendor will allow you to roll items for a specific slot. Let us know your thoughts:

• Do you understand what you are getting when you roll on an item?
  • How do you feel about the pricing of items?
  • Do you feel like rolling on these item slots is valuable?

Thanks

-eric

Edited by EricMusco

Do you understand what you are getting when you roll on an item?

- Didnt get that far yet.

How do you feel about the pricing of items?

- It's pretty bad since i did 3 hammer stations and after disintegrating all the gear i still could not afford anything to test the vendor on the PTS. So i'm not sure how many runs of the same flashpoint you expect players to do in order to afford buying 1 item from this vendor, but i already know it's too much.

Do you feel like rolling on these item slots is valuable?

- Dont know because my time was taken up running hammer station runs to then not be able to afford any items on the vendor.

So, I've been playing for a couple of hours and saved up enough Tech Fragments to buy a Unidentified Belt for 225 TF from Takanna and when I purchased it, she took my money but there was no Unidentified Blet in my inventory. :(

I checked in the Buyback section, not there. Looked in bank, inventory, everywhere. no belt. However, my Tech Fragments are now depleted so I can't buy another one. I've relogged on in hopes of getting it via Mail, sometimes that happens, nope. No mail.

character name: Wolfeye Scopes

Lvl 75 Sniper: Marksman

Time event happened: 8:00 (ish) pm PST

Where: Imperial Fleet: Takanna vendor

Edited by Banthabreeder
updated info

So, I've been playing for a couple of hours and saved up enough Tech Fragments to buy a Unidentified Belt for 225 TF from Takanna and when I purchased it, she took my money but there was no Unidentified Blet in my inventory. :( I checked in the Buyback section, not there. Looked in bank, inventory, everywhere. no belt. However, my Tech Fragments are now depleted so I can't buy another one.

This may be a silly question, but was your character wearing a belt before? Could it have auto-equipped?

Do I know what I'm rolling on?

Yes a random piece of gear that might be suitable for me. Why does it have to be random? Why can't I simply choose an earpiece etc I want for 250 fragments. I played for 4 hours last night doing Hammer station, arena and Onderon dailies and I only gathered 211 tech fragments. So not enough to even take a gamble. After 4 hours I'd prefer the option to at least buy a useful piece for the character I've been playing.

Is the cost too much?

Yes - especially as its only another roll of rngesus rather than a guaranteed useful piece. At least with the Ossus grind you could get 1 useful piece a week on all your characters. 1500 fragments and 1 million creds from good old Kai - No way an average player will get 1 useful piece a week. Prices are way to high.

So, I've been playing for a couple of hours and saved up enough Tech Fragments to buy a Unidentified Belt for 225 TF from Takanna and when I purchased it, she took my money but there was no Unidentified Blet in my inventory. :(

Tried buying a belt and this was my experience as well. Chat says Bought item [unidentified Belt] But I got nothing.

I am playing as a shield tech powertech at the time.

Edited by Loc_n_lol

1. Do you understand what you are getting when you roll on an item?

2. How do you feel about the pricing of items?

3. Do you feel like rolling on these item slots is valuable?

1. No, I brought two item with a vanguard tank and nether were useful because they rolled for the wrong class.

2. The pricing at both vendor are to high with vs time you play in game. I have a specific problem with new tactical items pricing and acquisition. This is a brand new and great concept put in the game. Give people faster access to these item. Whether you do dailies, flashpoints, or ops, these items provide a fresh fun take on the same old grind for gear through multiple characters.

3. No, this concept for gearing has never been valuable to me with when trying to acquire specific gear for whatever class I am. I want to see pick from a selection of gear, not a random roll that might give me what I want. This way I don't feel like I am wasting time in game while working towards building a character for master mode operations and flashpoints.

V/R

Jed

Edited by jedmac

- I thought I did, but didn't got a lightsaber but blaster on my warrior, so probably I didn't understood :-D.

- I had to run several flashpoints to get enough currency for a single item and got green 270 blaster, so I'd say that is really bad alternative to pvp or conquest. Also drops from flashpoints were better that that.

- Not enough information on this, as I'd never have that much currency on pts, but you'll collect that currency, so it's probably a good way to spent it. On the other side, you can get 5x random roll on "equipment" for 300 or 1 nice item from Zykken. So probably it's bad idea to try here as long as your equipment is low level

Hey folks,

Aside from the Kai Zykken vendor, there is also another vendor where you can spend tech fragments which is located in the supplies section of the fleet. This vendor will allow you to roll items for a specific slot. Let us know your thoughts:

Thanks

-eric

Do you understand what you are getting?

From the tooltips I do, yet this is not what is actually happening. Most of the gear I received was not for my discipline. Many times when I click on the weapon, I got a blaster, sniper rifle, or other ranged weapon when I was on my Jedi Guardian.

Pricing?

Considering how random it is, how limited you are to the number of tech fragments you can carry, and how slow it takes to get them, the pricing is much too high. 100-150 would seem more reasonable if the idea is to be able to pick our piece with rng.

Is rolling valuable?

Not at the moment. Tech fragments should cap at a much higher number, and the sheer number of little different amplifiers that are very unclear as to what they do make the system on the confusing side and thus is not very valuable to me.

Any of the "unidentified" items from this vendor appear to "have a chance" to fit your class/discipline. Buying 10 off-hands in a row on a sniper got me 5 vibro knives, a blaster, and some shields/generators. As previously mentioned, at 250+ tech fragments each, that's a big gamble to take.

Not to mention, some of the "upgrades" (as seen with the little green up arrow in the corner of the item) are questionable. Oh...and wearing a 272 pair of gloves netted me a 270 pair of gloves from the unidentified item that I purchased.

It feels like I'm buying from a carny instead of a reputable vendor.

I am going to start this by saying that the implementation of this vendor, with the way it is currently designed on the PTS, is just about the worst mistake I have ever seen in regards to gearing in this game. It serves no purpose other then to completely screw the player over with the amount of time and effort they put in trying to earn tech fragments, and gives them nothing (with a chance for almost nothing) in return.

I have tried out the vendor and spent well over 100k tech fragments buying random gear pieces.

If it goes live as it is now, not only will I never use it at all, it would be enough to get me to unsub (of which I have been a sub since launch) from them game. Yes it is that bad.

To Answer the questions that were asked.

No, there is WAY TOO much broken RNG. If I am buying an item, I would expect that it would be a piece of gear (at current level or an upgrade) that the current class and discipline my character is spec'd in to be able to use. I got countless amounts of wrong items (such as tanking gear for a DPS, saber MH on a merc, etc.) This is on top of some items costing the TF amount, but not getting any item after paying the TF cost. I tried buying over 40 random belts, and never got 1 of them. Other gear piece items would also have this bug, but it was random.

They offer no value at all. Fixed stat green gear armor pieces should not be a drop item from these boxes at all. These have always been random drops from world mobs and are 100% vendor trash. It does not matter if it is a higher rated piece of gear then what you have, it is still vendor trash and needs to be removed. With the set bonuses now tied back to each piece of armor, a fixed stat gear piece serves no purpose as a bought item for gear advancement. The fixed stat gear needs to be removed completely from the gear table of these boxes and all of the items that are dropped need to be gear that has mods in them (and the correct mods, not the extra RNG mods that each piece has now).

No, it is not only not valuable, but it is completely worthless. As it stands now, this vendor has no vaule. If my choice is to save 3000 tech fragments and get 2 set bonus pieces of gear once per week vs getting 12 random gear pulls as quick as I can (and getting nothing that can be used out of those 12 pulls, I have had it happen repeatedly to me so far), I will always take the 2 set bonus pieces.

This also does not address the way the item levels scale when you are trying to get new gear, how you must have all your gear at the same tier of item level (ie 270), before you start to see higher level gear become available.

As an example, it took me close to 4 hours of constant buying and dismantling gear from this vendor to put together a full set of lvl 272 rated gear. I can't even begin to count how many tech fragments I spent trying to do this, and how this would never be possible once the update is live, making everything that you could buy even that much more frusterating, as the grind seems futile and pointless.

Edited by Flying-Brian

Sigh. just a big SIGH.

I got me a bunch of Tech Fragments and went back to Takanna.

I purchased a Unidentified Mainhand Weapon. It's description says, "Contains an item that it tailored to your active discipline when opened". I am a Marksmanship Sniper. I'm wearing all the Precise Targeters 270 gear with set bonuses. My current weapon is a green level 270 Onderonian Targeters Rifle.

I got a Arakyd Industries Warding Enzo Saber. Since when is a lightsaber 'tailored' to a sniper???

Come on guys, this RNG **** ain't working. Thanks god this ain't going live in September.

Edited by Banthabreeder

The cost is too high, the RNG way too stingy, and any re-rolls after the 1st item seemed to be for a different class. I'm assuming that last part is a bug, because the tooltip indicates items are for our class & discipline.

The fact that more often than not gear doesn't upgrade, but drops at same item rating level is also... well.. not good at all. Out of 6 purchases, only 1 was an upgrade, and that only barely, still unmoddable green trash gear. Why is this even a thing? Get rid of unmoddable gear please!

And breaking down 14 peices of gear only yielded 6 tech fragments. Again, this is some next level no-thank-you stinginess.

Oh also, not sure if devs have been reading the forum criticism of their game and gearing systems for the last several time units, but nobody seems to like RNG, and yet you've created systems with more RNG than ever. I'm going to go out on a limb and say this will not go over well...

Edited by cibacrome

I checked in the Buyback section, not there. Looked in bank, inventory, everywhere. no belt. However, my Tech Fragments are now depleted so I can't buy another one. I've relogged on in hopes of getting it via Mail, sometimes that happens, nope. No mail.

character name: Wolfeye Scopes

Lvl 75 Sniper: Marksman

Time event happened: 8:00 (ish) pm PST

Where: Imperial Fleet: Takanna vendor

I confirm this happens 100% of the time when buying an Unidentified Belt with a Merc Bodygaurd too. Other items work. The returned item will be the same ilvl or maybe 2 points better, with or without mod slots and usually inappropriate for the characters discipline. In my case, tank gear and more tank gear.

Hey everyone: remember click the booster terminal on Odessen a bunch of times for credits, go buy tons of the new medpacks, and disassemble for lots of Tech Fragments (did 700 at time before hitting the 3000 cap). Do this over and over to test out the system. I did this for about three hours tonight and have min/maxed green 270 gear and then you can test out the Kai Zaikken gear too. With the credits you can also play around with the amplifiers over and over until you get all gold ones.

I have been using the stim deconstruction method mentioned in this thread to get fragments to test this out.

I know what I SHOULD be getting, although the actual results are a bit questionable (see below)

I assume that most sources of Tech Fragments are not implemented yet, as most seem to come from doing the daily random FP Group Finder missions, etc (whcih give 100+), not from boss kills (which give around 3-5)

Because if not, then the pricing is way out of proportion to what can be obtained by running Hammer over and over (which is the only group content people on PTS seem to be running, as Ops seem to be broken and do not drop anything (KP) or are horribly bugged and need dev in group to fix it through console commands (Dxun))

Not in particular. I got items that I could not use at all (2H techblade on merc healer), or sometimes I got nothing at all (I tried getting belt, got nothing, tried several times). The item rolls should definitely be more skewed towards you own discipline (ie. less accuracy for tanks and heals), and absolutely limited to your class (ie. no blades on merc)

Firstly, From the Spoils of War vendor for the random piece of gear the Gloves, and Belts take the tech parts, however they are not giving the random Items.

Now as for the vendor, yes I understand how to use the Tech Fragments, however from my experience (using the method in this Thread to get the tech parts) I've found that far more often I'd get pieces that have nothing to do with the spec or class I'm on. For example as a Deception Sin out of 7 relics I went for 5 were tanking relics. Yes I know my AC could tank, however that doesn't mean people on that class would want to tank making all of those 1250 tech parts (which is a lot) a waste of a massive amount of time to acquire. I also out of 4 OH's, got 2 OH's that were for other classes that I couldn't use. This vendor should take into account class and spec when it gives you the random piece of gear.

The random Vendor needs to get rid of the Unmodable gear. All gear from this vendor should be modable so people do not lose set bonus gear they may pick up.

As for the Kai vendor: The prices are way to high for the tech fragments. Unless your going to increase the amount of fragments considerably getting enough for a purchase of 1,500 is to much

Edited by Toraak

It took over 6 hours and more than 150k stims (honestly I lost count at a certain point) for me to go from 270 to 306 bouncing between this tech vendor and the Kai Zykken vendor.

Even when I was in full 306 gear, I still got green 272/274 stuff from the vendor.

You and the devs mentioned that gear would be an upgrade consistently.

It isn't.

You're going to have LOTS of data to back that statement up when someone goes over the logs for those two vendors.

Edited by Darev

Hey folks,

Thanks

-eric

1 - the vendor menu is clear, but when I purchase something it does not appear in inventory until I transition phase? - anyways something is weird there like when I purchase I do not get a "box" in my inventory that I can open (and roll on it)

2- if they respected your current class+discipline than fine, but it appears they don't which means they should be half or even less of the current price - not worth it.

3 - at the moment no -or at least at the beginning of the gearing Grind, once you have a bunch of equipment and irating maybe it is worth it.

[*]Do you understand what you are getting when you roll on an item?

Yes

[*]How do you feel about the pricing of items?

It fells fair, as long as the received gear is greater or equal than current gear rating.

[*]Do you feel like rolling on these item slots is valuable?

Yes, it could be another way of getting gear.

As long as the gear is for the char opening the box.

Edited by nkarapinha