Returning player, looking for advice on healing class

FrostTrooper

I haven't played SWTOR in well over a year. When I left I was pretty deep in tanking raids and ops. Since leaving I've played a few other games and have really come to enjoy the role of a healer. So as I'm returning I thought I would return as a healer instead. So my question is how do the roles/effectiveness change between Sage and Commando. I tried playing a scoundrel a few years ago but really didn't like the play style that much. So my choice comes down to Sage or Commando. Initially I'm just going to be playing solo and getting my feet wet again but I do plan on jumping into raids in the future.

Thanks for any advice you can give me!

Both are viable. Sage may be a little more effective in some situations and commando in others. Sage are a little easier to play, have a lot of impressive procs and really tend to thrive in almost any fight. Commando heals can require a little more finesse i suppose but they are far superior at single target healing. Their main AOE heal has a bit of a cooldown, but it is very effective. Sage really is just the easiest of the healing classes to play. they are stable and consistant with bubbles, procs, aoe procs, bla bla bla... but commando can shine if you have a tank taking a real beating. It honestly comes down to how you prefer to play. And im sure as you know from other mmos healing is all about timing. You find a commando that knows what they are doing, the team stays up. Same with a sage. You may even want to give sawbones another shot. They rely on healing over time. I guess sage is more of a constant casting but stable type. Commando can just drop some mega heals, but cooldowns can be a bit slower. Scoundrel is more of a preemptive strike with the heals over time... not sure if this helps at all lol. Sage = easier and consistant. Commando = big big heals but some slower cooldowns. And you also have to dig into the defensive and party buffs. I honestly prefer operations with 1 sage and 1 commando / 1 sage 1 scoundrel. It really doesent matter which one you pick, go with your gut, watch a youtube. You are going to be better on one or the other because you like the heal style. And you have to weigh in the other skills that arent heals... I would check out rotation guides on both and see what you think you might like. Basically i dont know what to say aside from they are both amazing in their own ways haha.