As a Tank, what do you expect from healers?

Xtremophile

As in the topic "Healers, what do you expect from your Tank?" I'm asking the same question, but this time to tanks for their healers; so that new tanks can have better understanding of tank-healer interaction.

- What do you want from healers in the party?

- What do you expect them to do or don't do?

- What do you want them to know beforehand?

Edited by Xtremophile

Healers have one job and should have no expectations other than healing people put on to them. Perhaps recognising a cleansable dot or debuff perhaps. But beyond healing and not standing in the floor aoe, not a lot should be expected of healers.

I expect them to be fully specced into healing and to have appropriate gear. Not someon in DPS gear with a field respec. They might get you buy, but don't offer the same utility.

I gauge a healer by:

1) Do they keep myself and the rest of the group above 75% HP? (Though if it's in a flashpoint, above 50% is fine. If they have time to toss in some DPS then I take that as a compliment.)

2) Do they stand in my Phase Walk when I put it down? I want my healers to understand and take advantage of the healing buff I provide. In some cases I use my Phase Walk to indicate ideal safe places to stand while healing, so I appreciate when the healer pays attention to this.

3) Do they cleanse any DOTs they can? Many DOTs can be healed through, but it's more efficient to cleanse it. I appreciate when healers pay attention to cleanses rather than just playing whackamole with our HP bars.

4) Do they stand with the DPS? All healers in this game have AoE heals, and if they stand with the DPS then they can get themselves as well as the DPS. Of course this varies from fight to fight - In some fights stacking is bad.

5) Do they prepare for fights before I pull? Sorcs should bubble me and themselves, Operatives should have their HOTs up 24/7, Mercs should have Kolto Shell on me.

Those are the ways I distinguish an experienced healer from a merely adequate one.

I gauge a healer by:

2) Do they stand in my Phase Walk when I put it down? I want my healers to understand and take advantage of the healing buff I provide. In some cases I use my Phase Walk to indicate ideal safe places to stand while healing, so I appreciate when the healer pays attention to this.

What is that buff exactly, can you give a name for a talent?

Also, thanks for helpful tips.

Edited by Xtremophile

I think it's a bit much to expect anything from anyone. I could expect healers to do exactly as I do when I play my healer which is.

Heal efficiently

Remove debuffs

Use crowd control

Use interrupt abilities to assist the tank (And stop the tank from taking damage that would need healing)

Adapt to situations as they change. (Not spamming aoe heals and complaining about not being able to see the tank, running out of resources, damage too high etc.)

Maintain maximum range to further reduce healing output (In case the tank isn't very good.)

Use objects to line of sight any mobs that have not been attacked.

Not wasting resources on dealing damage.

Use threat reduction ability to assist tank if the tank is no longer attacking an existing target.

Pretty unrealistic to expect anyone else to do all of this. I'd settle for the first three.

Edited by Lord_of_Mu

Pretty unrealistic to expect anyone else to do all of this. I'd settle for the first three.

Well, I hope this topic would help them. There's also a vice versa question with a link to this thread, in Healer section. So I hope they come here to check the tank's POV.

What is that buff exactly, can you give a name for a talent?

For an Assassin tank, the ability is called Phase Walk and they gain it at lvl 51. It puts a giant pink circle on the ground - you can't miss it. In the Darkness (tanking) tree they can put points into Assassin's Shelter which increases healing done by anyone standing in the circle by 5%.

For an Assassin tank, the ability is called Phase Walk and they gain it at lvl 51. It puts a giant pink circle on the ground - you can't miss it. In the Darkness (tanking) tree they can put points into Assassin's Shelter which increases healing done by anyone standing in the circle by 5%.

Thanks for the info. For people who wanna see this: Assasin's / Shadow's Shelter (in tank talent tree) Pics

Edited by Xtremophile

Well, in flashpoints... since my assassin is pretty much immortal there (special mechanics excluded, of course), I just expect the occasional heal. If it's an operative, keeping the group topped off with HoTs is nice, because it's quicker than the standard regen abilities on dps.

In general, I can't even remember the last time I had a problematic experience with healers in a flashpoint. Sure, I appreciate it if they take advantage of the 5% healing increase, but that's about it. Cleansing debuffs is always a plus, of course.

Only thing that makes me roll my eyes so hard I have to see a doctor is if healers say "you only have 42k health" or "assassins are only good as offtanks"... It's not 2.0 anymore, folks. If it worked out for Dread Council HM fight, I'm sure you can heal my "squishy" assassin through Hammer Station.

What I also hate is people who stick to the mantra of "everyone heals themselves between pulls". Yes, if we barely survive a pull for whatever reasons, everyone can click that little button to heal up. But if it's just one dps at 30% from some dot or dispatching adds... stop being a sithhole. Slap a hot on it and be done.

Also: Healers who insist on guard (to the point of refusing heals without it) while there are two full dread forged DDs in the group. No, I don't need guard to hold aggro, but insisting on it as a healer just shows a blatant ignorance regarding game mechanics.

In operations, it's hard to say since I only do guild runs with a more or less static team. I expect them to be superb, I guess, but they always are. So not much to tell there.

In short, I expect them to heal (duh), not judge tanks based on ACs alone and understand the game. Also, just... be a nice person. I think this applies to just about any role in a group, though.

Edited by tacito

I don't have to put forth expectations for the healers that I raid with because doing NiM progression, you are generally dealing with the best healers you can have. But for any other things, I would expect a healer to know when the heavy hitting phases and attacks are and be able to keep me alive through them. Constant application of hots, shields, and armor buffs is a must.

I like to run with healers who tank as well. That way, they have an understanding of what their tanks can and can't do. If they don't have tanking toons, it's still vital that they know the tank they are healing well enough to predict when and for how much to heal. I consider it a good run when I don't have to use any adrenals or medpacs.

It's really a two way street, though. All of my tanks, 3 pub side, 2 imp side, are optimized for mitigation, two of which are full 180 with some 186s. I realize there are different ways to gear your tanks, be that HP, mitigation, or a mix of the two, but I know that to be a true friend to your healer, it is best to optimized for mitigation. I only know this from experience because my VG Tank used to be an HP tank. We cleaered HM DF and DP with him geared like that, but that was in 16m and he was still getting hit like a truck. Just because you can build for endurance doesn't mean you should. That's just my own personal perspective, both from a current main tank and a former main healer.

Don't stand in bad. Call out or otherwise communicate immediately when things are tight for some reason (usually I just look at the raid frame, but sometimes I'm looking elsewhere). Remember where things are naturally hard during the fight and tell me afterward. Know where the really big hits on the tank are and know their names. Know who to cleanse first (it's not always the tank).

Beyond that, I expect the same sort of things that I expect from every role: know your class, know the fight, don't tunnel vision, etc.

I agree that this question really kinda pertains to PuG and GF situations since in progression you should already have a rapport with your healers. So...on that note...

I only expect 2 things:

1) Don't be a prima-dona...you're not that good

and

2) Keep up.

Cleansing debuffs is always a plus, of course.

Know where the really big hits on the tank are and know their names. Know who to cleanse first (it's not always the tank).

A list of cleansing abilities for new healers are:

(All gained at level 24)

Toxic Scan for Operatives

Triage for Scoundrels

Restoration for Sages

Expunge for Sorcerers

Cure for Mercenary

Field Aid for Commandos

Edited by Xtremophile

I agree that this question really kinda pertains to PuG and GF situations since in progression you should already have a rapport with your healers.

True but my main aim to open this thread is to establish a communication channel with new tanks and healers. That way, while the participation increased, more people who communicate only in chat will know what to do and don't. by the precious help from you guys.

Know who to cleanse first (it's not always the tank).

Can you explain this a bit more, if you have time?

Note: OMG! KBN is here, just noticed :) Welcome, my friend. Thanks for all the guides you provied for us. I Basically learned tanking from you and Gralleh's guides so I appreciate it.

Edited by Xtremophile

Can you explain this a bit more, if you have time?

On Draxus, cleanse the DPS under the shield first. You can always heal the tank. On Nefra, you do cleanse the tank first (unless they self-cleanse), but beyond that you still need to prioritize since you have to worry about pushback, cooldowns, secondary effects (e.g. centering/fury).

Basically, you need to treat your cleanse like a proactive heal.

Note: OMG! KBN is here, just noticed :) Welcome, my friend. Thanks for all the guides you provied for us. I Basically learned tanking from you and Gralleh's guides so I appreciate it.

LOL I'm glad that I've been able to help…

Putting my TL: DR at the top- unless they are new to the content, I expect them to keep everyone alive and to keep me above 60% so I don't have to use DCDs unnecessarily.

Expectations... I look at the healers gear and maybe their experience ("Inspect Achievements" FTW) and then I form my expectations. If the healer is geared I assume they know what they are doing and go into non-stop tank mode, and I expect them to keep us all healed up on the run unless something goes wrong and we obviously need to take a moment after a pull to regen. This means constant HoTs on the go, bubbles, kolto bombs. This means healing during pulls when we need it, but I do know there are plenty of opportunities to put a DoT or a quick attack on something. Just don't waste your resources because I expect heals on the run.

If their gear makes me worried but they've done the flashpoint before, I assume they are experienced, and I will keep an eye on them to see if they are able to keep up with my fast pace, and I can adjust if necessary. Keep everyone alive, keep me above 60% so I don't waste DCDs. Don't stand in bad and make it harder for yourself.

If you are new as new can get without warranting a kick (I am nice, I don't hand them out like candy), I will explain mechanics so listen to everything I tell you to do, and don't make the same mistake a stupid number of times. Inexperience is one thing; not learning something that is being taught makes me feel like you're wasting our time. KNOW YOUR CLASS if you're level 55- lowbies, I understand this may be your first character and first time in the content. Also, your attitude will come into whether I give you another go or leave/ initiate kick. Don't be an *** and we will be happy to help you learn.

I expect them to be fully specced into healing and to have appropriate gear. Not someon in DPS gear with a field respec.

Specced for healing- yes. Gear, I'd say it depends- until you get to about level 40- 45, healer and DPS gear is the same. I have field respec on all my DPS toons that are heals-capable for faster flashpoint pops if I decide I'm willing to heal. In higher levels, the difference between DPS and Heals gear is you have Accuracy on DPS gear and not on healer gear. The better geared they are, the more of a healer's tertiary stat goes into Alacrity, which is not the most important thing ever. My Underworld/ Oriconian geared Sage DPS has healed 16-man SM DF/ DP in DPS gear plenty of times and more than pulled its weight. (Specced into heals, of course.)

Edited by Kufuffelupagus
troll emoticon!

Contrary to popular belief, a bored healer is not a happy healer, especially in NiM content. Why I expect from mine?

Communication:

1a. "Irisa, I don't know what is going on, let us look over your logs, we need to find ways to reduce some of your damage because I cannot keep the DPS alive comfortably and have you borderline when I know we can do better'.

1b. 'Irisa can you use a cooldown now without affecting you in the next window? I am behind on healing because one of the sentinels derped and took more than he could chew'.

Pro active behaviour:

2. Anticipating the next phase everytime and being on top of the game with healing. Knowing when I get dips in HP and already casting 80% in advance so I am pretty much topped back before I get another significant hit that may put me in a very uncomfortable position.

Good positioning and awareness:

3. Always in range to cover his part of the fight without losing the big picture where we may need him to do the extra mile for the kill.

I don't have to put forth expectations for the healers that I raid with because doing NiM progression, you are generally dealing with the best healers you can have. But for any other things, I would expect a healer to know when the heavy hitting phases and attacks are and be able to keep me alive through them. Constant application of hots, shields, and armor buffs is a must.

I like to run with healers who tank as well. That way, they have an understanding of what their tanks can and can't do. If they don't have tanking toons, it's still vital that they know the tank they are healing well enough to predict when and for how much to heal. I consider it a good run when I don't have to use any adrenals or medpacs.

It's really a two way street, though. All of my tanks, 3 pub side, 2 imp side, are optimized for mitigation, two of which are full 180 with some 186s. I realize there are different ways to gear your tanks, be that HP, mitigation, or a mix of the two, but I know that to be a true friend to your healer, it is best to optimized for mitigation. I only know this from experience because my VG Tank used to be an HP tank. We cleaered HM DF and DP with him geared like that, but that was in 16m and he was still getting hit like a truck. Just because you can build for endurance doesn't mean you should. That's just my own personal perspective, both from a current main tank and a former main healer.

This. I really like this idea. I could also put forth my expectations but they have been covered very well in this thread.

Now of course, not everyone has to do this but my healer and I rolled alts of each others class, and my scoundrel healer is almost 55 and I am loving it. When I begin healing raids with him I think I will have a good foreknowledge of what the tanks expect, not to mention a great healer to teach me the ropes.

My healer rolled my class, and now has a 55 shadow tank, and has already excelled through the story mode content we went through to gear him up, and he is getting a good perspective of what the people he heals face firsthand. Now I probably wont main my healer, but this eperience was awesome, it gave us a better appreciation for the other class, and I got to try a class and role I never wanted to, but am now glad I did.

First, I love these "What do you expect" threads. They are an excellent idea and a great resource.

Second, the first time I saw KBN on the fleet, I think I ran around him in circles squealing like a schoolgirl. I might even have asked for his holograph. :D Then I settled down and checked everything he was wearing and drooled over his gear.

First, I love these "What do you expect" threads. They are an excellent idea and a great resource.

Im glad that you find them useful.

FSecond, the first time I saw KBN on the fleet, I think I ran around him in circles squealing like a schoolgirl. I might even have asked for his holograph. :D Then I settled down and checked everything he was wearing and drooled over his gear.

Even if you're trolling, cheers :) He deserves that.

Edited by Xtremophile

Absolutely not trolling. Tam was very nice, but startled to discover he had fans. :D

[OFFTOPIC]

:D I value contributors of the community and completely aware of the state of the game/trolls who may discourages them. For that, I try to cheer them up every time I have the chance. Because they can keep the info for themselves and be #1 ranked instead of sparing time and energy for sharing.

[/OFFTOPIC]

So, what do you expect from a healer?

Edited by Xtremophile

i try to always have this down for my healers.... a lot of them have no idea what it is and run out even when i drop it right where they are standing for the buff... :(