Light Armor VS Medium

Zaxem

I'm just wondering how bad of a idea is it to use modable light armor vs medium. There is more light i like the looks of more. I don't want to be gimping myself to a point where i'm hurting my surviablity/ the raid by taking the armor hit. So My question is how important is armor rating for dps?

yea they do. and its like a 5% difference. not very big

So then it's not a big deal then to use light armor for looks since it's only 5% difference? just wondering because for 1.2 i plan on using gear i like since armoring mods r removable.

The armoring stat of the item is determined by its armoring class (heavy, medium, light), not by the mod. The armoring mod just multiplies the base armor value.

Using a End-Str armoring in a light armor piece will give you less total armor value than using that in a heavy armor piece.

Armoring mods are neither light nor heavy nor medium armor, they are just mods.

It depends how much items you're thinking of using.

I think if you go full light armor you'll notice that you go down a bit quicker, but if you (just like i do) only go for the belt & bracers, it's only a reall small amount of armor rating you're losing

So then it's not a big deal then to use light armor for looks since it's only 5% difference? just wondering because for 1.2 i plan on using gear i like since armoring mods r removable.

Except that it's not 5%

An example of a medium armor

http://www.torhead.com/item/3E9fwnX/ultratech-enforcers-jacket

545 Armor (Rating 118)

and example of a light armor with same level of armoring (both are with a rating 118 armoring modification)

http://www.torhead.com/item/MlZTeG/ultratech-force-masters-vestments

385 Armor (Rating 118)

Now please ignore other stats. If you put same mods, other stats will be same, but armor will not be.

545 armor vs 385 armor, NOT A 5% DIFFERENCE !!! It's way more than 5%.

Now if you replace just one item to a different armor type, it might make less than 5% difference to your total armor gained from all your gear

Edited by Eternalnight

It depends how much items you're thinking of using.

I think if you go full light armor you'll notice that you go down a bit quicker, but if you (just like i do) only go for the belt & bracers, it's only a reall small amount of armor rating you're losing

I was thinking using chest, waist maybe legs at most for light armor. I would love to use the hoth set but i think using a full set liek that would make me lose to much armor if armor really matters alot for dps. To be honest i never pay attention to armor type just stats

Edited by Zaxem

545 armor vs 385 armor, NOT A 5% DIFFERENCE !!! It's way more than 5%.

Naturally the difference in armor rating from your example 385 to 545 is 42%. But armor rating has diminishing returns on the damage reduction. My tank has about 7500 armor rating giving me a 41% damage reduction (not counting skills). If I replace all of my armor down to something similar to your two numbers, I end up with 5300 armor rating and a damage reduction of 33%.

So a theoretical damage of 1000 hits me for 590 (41% reduction) in heavy armor.

The same 1000 spell on medium armor hits me for 670 (33% reduction).

That is 13% more damage (670 vs 590). This is more than 5%, but surely not as much as the 42% reduced armor rating would look like.

If you only replace the chest/legs, the difference will be much smaller.

It totally ruins my game that I can't use some slave girl gear parts (especially pants) on my sentinel, but being a serious player I am, I just can't bring myself to not use all advantages I can get, if it's even a minor one. Especially considering that I'll be able to craft augmented orange gear.... Well here's hoping they'll add a good schematic for medium armor craftable slave girl gear to vendor soon... Edited by VincentWolf

It totally ruins my game that I can't use some slave girl gear parts (especially pants) on my sentinel, but being a serious player I am, I just can't bring myself to not use all advantages I can get, if it's even a minor one. Especially considering that I'll be able to craft augmented orange gear.... Well here's hoping they'll add a good schematic for medium armor craftable slave girl gear to vendor soon...

yeah pretty much same reason for me as well i like to have all advantages *** possible but at the same time i really love being able to look how i want like i really hate the color of our current pve set but love the look of which is Why i'm thinking about using light armor in 1.2.

• 1 month later...
But lets say if i take all the mods out of a Rakata Medium and threw them into a Elder Blades vest medium armor

will the stats be the same? as if the elder blades vest is compared to Rakata? both with same mods?

You already answered your own question didnt you? Medium armor with the same mods as rakata = rakata medium armor. The only thing you won't have is the set bonus, since that only transfers from campaign gear