Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Where Have All The Good Force Sensitive Men Gone And... Where Are All The Gods?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Where Have All The Good Force Sensitive Men Gone And... Where Are All The Gods?

Ylliarus
12.23.2018 , 12:19 PM | #1
Where's the streetwise Sith Warrior, to fight the rising odds...

Isn't there are a Jedi Knight upon a fiery varactyl?

Late at night, I toss and I turn and I dream of the Force Sensitive men I need...

I need a hero! I'm holding out for a hero 'til the end of the game...

Yes, with that singsongy start I think it's clear what this thread is going to be about: the lack of male Force Sensitives to romance! It's something that I am genuinely curious about, why do we have only one male Force Sensitive character (Arcann) that can be romanced as a companion? Especially in comparison to all the female Force Sensitives that can be romanced. It's nice that we have at least one, of course, but he isn't even a Jedi or Sith but something else and it would be incredibly nice to have a male Sith Lord and Jedi Knight specifically to romance. Because I have a hard time to get my Sith characters, who are devoted followers of the Dark Side, to romance a redeemed Arcann, it just clashes immensely with the way I play them.

So what could be the reason behind the lack of male Force Users to romance, especially in comparison to the abundance of female Force Sensitives one can romance? I have my own theories but I am curious as to what the rest of the community thinks, but also, which existing male Force Sensitive companions would you like to see as romance option? Or perhaps even more intriguing, what kind of not-yet-existing type of character?
The SWTOR Revitalization Petition
This MMO deserves a revitalization, by receiving more funding, resources, manpower and publicity. If you agree with this, sign the petition to EA and Disney here!
And here is my referral link.

Everrgreen
12.23.2018 , 02:52 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Ylliarus View Post
Where's the streetwise Sith Warrior, to fight the rising odds...

Isn't there are a Jedi Knight upon a fiery varactyl?

Late at night, I toss and I turn and I dream of the Force Sensitive men I need...

I need a hero! I'm holding out for a hero 'til the end of the game...

Yes, with that singsongy start I think it's clear what this thread is going to be about: the lack of male Force Sensitives to romance! It's something that I am genuinely curious about, why do we have only one male Force Sensitive character (Arcann) that can be romanced as a companion? Especially in comparison to all the female Force Sensitives that can be romanced. It's nice that we have at least one, of course, but he isn't even a Jedi or Sith but something else and it would be incredibly nice to have a male Sith Lord and Jedi Knight specifically to romance. Because I have a hard time to get my Sith characters, who are devoted followers of the Dark Side, to romance a redeemed Arcann, it just clashes immensely with the way I play them.

So what could be the reason behind the lack of male Force Users to romance, especially in comparison to the abundance of female Force Sensitives one can romance? I have my own theories but I am curious as to what the rest of the community thinks, but also, which existing male Force Sensitive companions would you like to see as romance option? Or perhaps even more intriguing, what kind of not-yet-existing type of character?
lol, I like it

Use my referral link to sign up and get a FREE Preferred Friends Bundle
and 7 Free Days of Subscription!

Seireeni
12.23.2018 , 03:22 PM | #3
Or perhaps even more intriguing, what kind of not-yet-existing type of character?

Do I need to say it?

A chiss.
There is a face beneath this mask but it's not me.
Darth Malgus - And some alts on Satele Shan and Star Forge - The Firslay Legacy
referral link http://www.swtor.com/r/J24zRp

Paulsutherland
12.23.2018 , 03:35 PM | #4
Quote:
Which existing male Force Sensitive companions would you like to see as romance option? Or perhaps even more intriguing, what kind of not-yet-existing type of character?
Don the exiled knight!

GetPloughed
12.23.2018 , 05:20 PM | #5
The reason behind the original force companions being female and a romance option, is because they wanted to give everybody the same thing. A female Jedi padawan. This also plays into the male fantasy of young virgin women that BioWare has used in the past(Liara, Tali, Merrill)

These are decisions that were likely made close to a decade ago, by people no longer employed by BioWare. So questioning why it was done that way, will fall on deaf ears because nobody there knows why. Just like they didn't write any scenes for a potential Vette/Risha reunion because the writers forgot that they share a past.

Going forward, I am expecting that Scourge returns as a romance option, and Kira will be like Nadia and Jaesa before and be flipped to be romanced by both genders. Now whether or not these are options for everybody or only the Jedi, is the question. I'm really hoping that Scourge is at least Jedi Knight and Sith Warrior because we need to have a conversation between the two Wraths.

As for the Ossus story up to 6.0, it would be nice to see some new male force users, but I'm not going to speculate on something so many months away that we know next to nothing about. I'd like to see the Twi'lek major get more content though.

Eleonora
12.23.2018 , 05:40 PM | #6
As a lesbian I need to chime in and say "Icky, men! Blegh!"

On a more serious note... yeah it's weird right? I mean I never romance the men but that is very strange come to think of it. It seems like too big a deal to be a simple oversight.
♪ The keychain you gave me has a tiny sunset,
With two people watching it in silhouette,
It says 'wish you were here' and it's right that I do,
It's been so, so long I've been waiting right here for you. ♪

Ylliarus
12.23.2018 , 06:03 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Seireeni View Post
Do I need to say it?

A chiss.
I wouldn't mind that Chiss, I admit! Although we'd need to know more about them, because is he more of a Force User or does he identify himself as a Jedi? Or perhaps even Sith (unlikely but hey, anything is possible)? If I am correct we don't learn where Valss learned to use the Force, whether it was from a Jedi or Sith, a Light Sider or Dark Sider.

Quote: Originally Posted by Eleonora View Post
As a lesbian I need to chime in and say "Icky, men! Blegh!"

On a more serious note... yeah it's weird right? I mean I never romance the men but that is very strange come to think of it. It seems like too big a deal to be a simple oversight.
I think it's because the game originally had the stereotype "straight gamerguy" in mind as their target audience, only then, surprise, surprise, their playerbase appeared to be far more diverse
The SWTOR Revitalization Petition
This MMO deserves a revitalization, by receiving more funding, resources, manpower and publicity. If you agree with this, sign the petition to EA and Disney here!
And here is my referral link.

Eleonora
12.23.2018 , 07:48 PM | #8
I think it's because the game originally had the stereotype "straight gamerguy" in mind as their target audience, only then, surprise, surprise, their playerbase appeared to be far more diverse
Yeah, I love the main storylines for all the classes, but everything is so damned heteronormative.. and that is *not* a word I would normally employ. It's not just your companions, it's all the side characters you can flirt with on the way up, like Jaxo (I like her so much), or the enormous number of women the Smuggler male can flirt and sleep with.

As the Smuggler female (my current project), all the dudes you can flirt with come on way too strong, as if the dialogue expects it, and is surprised by the fact you turn them down. The dude on Alderaan was the worst. He was coming onto me so hard, that IRL I would have been kind of freaked out. He gets me alone, comes on super hard, acts like a super creep.. even if I was straight, am I supposed to like that? The second time he came onto me, I actually asked Corso to stay with me, which is exactly what I would do IRL (I'm not romancing him, instead I'm treating him like he's my best friend, I love that guy). What a creeper! Meanwhile on the male playthroughs all the women you can flirt with are super submissive and commonly kind of ditzy. I mean hell, Skavak has left a trail of stupid women behind him that are apparently so in awe of his ugly, tattoo'd mug that they are willing to kill for him. Clearly written by men.

Then as you mentioned, the lack of force sensitive men you can romance. I don't think this is any accident. In fact, I don't think it's an accident that so many romanceable women are force sensitive. Is there *any* force sensitive female companion you *can't* romance? After all, what better stereotypical male fantasy is there than to conquer the chick with the super powers? Hell DS Jaesa is like "Oh Master! I'm gonna be your baby machine and we're gonna conquer the galaxy" wdf...

Clearly a force sensitive man, Jedi or Sith, is far too strong and powerful to be with such an alpha personality as the player character, it would be emasculating, which is why we don't see it. Why should some dude with super powers wanna take orders from a lady?
♪ The keychain you gave me has a tiny sunset,
With two people watching it in silhouette,
It says 'wish you were here' and it's right that I do,
It's been so, so long I've been waiting right here for you. ♪

Lunafox
12.23.2018 , 08:50 PM | #9
More male force users to romance please.
Lunafox's Stories🌙🦊Lunafox's Decorating
Koona t'chuta, Solo?
Quote: Originally Posted by Rion_Starkiller View Post
omg Darth Lunafox in the house

SithKoriandr
12.23.2018 , 08:51 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Eleonora View Post
Yeah, I love the main storylines for all the classes, but everything is so damned heteronormative.. and that is *not* a word I would normally employ. It's not just your companions, it's all the side characters you can flirt with on the way up, like Jaxo (I like her so much), or the enormous number of women the Smuggler male can flirt and sleep with.

As the Smuggler female (my current project), all the dudes you can flirt with come on way too strong, as if the dialogue expects it, and is surprised by the fact you turn them down. The dude on Alderaan was the worst. He was coming onto me so hard, that IRL I would have been kind of freaked out. He gets me alone, comes on super hard, acts like a super creep.. even if I was straight, am I supposed to like that? The second time he came onto me, I actually asked Corso to stay with me, which is exactly what I would do IRL (I'm not romancing him, instead I'm treating him like he's my best friend, I love that guy). What a creeper! Meanwhile on the male playthroughs all the women you can flirt with are super submissive and commonly kind of ditzy. I mean hell, Skavak has left a trail of stupid women behind him that are apparently so in awe of his ugly, tattoo'd mug that they are willing to kill for him. Clearly written by men.

Then as you mentioned, the lack of force sensitive men you can romance. I don't think this is any accident. In fact, I don't think it's an accident that so many romanceable women are force sensitive. Is there *any* force sensitive female companion you *can't* romance? After all, what better stereotypical male fantasy is there than to conquer the chick with the super powers? Hell DS Jaesa is like "Oh Master! I'm gonna be your baby machine and we're gonna conquer the galaxy" wdf...

Clearly a force sensitive man, Jedi or Sith, is far too strong and powerful to be with such an alpha personality as the player character, it would be emasculating, which is why we don't see it. Why should some dude with super powers wanna take orders from a lady?
In the case of the smuggler, I'd say that's because the writer (female if I recall correctly, but not 100%) said the smuggler was written to be played as a male smuggler. It was only after the fact that they went, "Oh yeah, female side." which is why the female aspects of the smuggler all feel off.

Not sure I agree on the conquer the woman with super powers aspect, because the sith warrior is already considered one of the top force users ever. So right there, you go "Yeah. Conquered her like anyone else."

I'd say that's just more in the line of giving a "One day we'll have kids" type of feel to the RP than anything else.

On my Consular, she gets Qyzen and Holiday mentioning her future with kids, not sure if male Consulars get that aspect at all.
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry