Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why is the republic boring

AussieAlan
12.22.2018 , 02:27 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by QuiDonJorn View Post
ha ha yep. its like all the teens and 20 year olds play empire and the more mature adults play republic.
Thanks for the laugh, I love irony, like you saying pub is mature, while making an immature comment about the imp players.

The pub comps are just so forgettable, and Tau just feels like an emo.

It's funny, its sort of like comic, imps are Marvel, light hearted, enjoyable characters making billions and pubs are DC and just not.

Lunafox
12.22.2018 , 03:00 AM | #22
ha ha yep. its like all the teens and 20 year olds play empire and the more mature adults play republic.
Yeah, not quite. I'm 50 and I play mostly Imperial. I love the Empire.
Lunafox's Stories🌙🦊Lunafox's Decorating
Koona t'chuta, Solo?
Quote: Originally Posted by Rion_Starkiller View Post
omg Darth Lunafox in the house

AlrikFassbauer
12.22.2018 , 10:44 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Senden View Post
Kira is awesome but she also has one of the worst sayings in the game "feel my force" it sounds like the sort of thing I'd say to my friends as a teenager while simultaneously farting on them.
She has a line, perhaps it is the translated version of that, in German-language SWTOR, which read like this : "Eat my lightsabre !" With a word used for "eat" which is an even more brutal form of "eating". A bit like "someone bites the dust", the line from that Queen song.

But anyway, I often have the feeling as if all creativity went into the imperial side first, and as if it was developed first, but then the dev team members ran out of creativity. I rather mean the overall style, just look at how the fleet station is built, artistically

Or, my favourite example, the Black Hole. Just compare both sides there, from an artistic point of view. It even comes down to the Republic being able to merely take out Torvix best warrior, but the Empire side being able to take out Torvix himself !

And that goes on throhgh the whole game. The Republic side player is left completely clueless regarding Makeb. Only the imperial side player gets the explanation.

And that goes on for the rest of the game.

They always seem to do the imperial stories first, then run out of creativity, so much drained of creativity, and then do the Republic side, because they seem to believe "Republic side gets played anyway. We don't need to make it interesting at all."

But that's my personal opinion.
Complex minds
Cope with
Complex problems.

Falensawino
12.22.2018 , 10:54 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Lunafox View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Lium View Post
Because the Republic is the adult, more mature side.
republic has no soul, you have to press option 3 or make dark side choices to get any emotion out of the voice actors.
The most wretched hive of troll and villainy

Refer a Friend Link
if you continue to fight, what will you become?

SithKoriandr
12.22.2018 , 11:54 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by AussieAlan View Post
Thanks for the laugh, I love irony, like you saying pub is mature, while making an immature comment about the imp players.

The pub comps are just so forgettable, and Tau just feels like an emo.

It's funny, its sort of like comic, imps are Marvel, light hearted, enjoyable characters making billions and pubs are DC and just not.
Terrible comparison.

The Empire is the bad guys, so it attracted a lot of people. ******, slave owning, eye for an eye, racist bigots that's all about the strong taking advantage of the weak and killing them on a whim and it's considered a good thing for a proper civilization, that happens to be a fascist authoritarian empire.

Only when they're losing do they try to cut back on the racist bigot aspect.

I wouldn't call that lighthearted. Even if they try to make some of the DS seem wacky.

While the Republic has the good guys. Which to half the games population just isn't the fun thing to do.
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

Lium
12.22.2018 , 10:19 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Lunafox View Post
There are exceptions to every rule.

I have multiple 70s in both factions. The empire is primarily made up of edgelords, emos, and prepubescent kids. Occasionally, I'll meet someone cool and group up with some cool people. But most of the time imp chat is like 4chan. And what passes for interesting stories over there is the apparent ability to kill everyone and have childish dialogue options.

The only class stories worth mentioning are the agent and playing as a LS inquisitor, where you can actually mock the above referenced childishness.

SithKoriandr
12.22.2018 , 10:57 PM | #27
I would think, seeing as how there are benefits to playing all the classes, most would play all classes.

I like the force using classes more than the non force classes. Agent is over rated. The others can boring.

Force users though
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

juliushorst
12.23.2018 , 05:11 AM | #28
I started the game with a LS Inquisitor and I dislike SWTOR's Republic and Jedi ever since that character visited Alderaan for his class quest. Something like this happened:
Spoiler

Not to mention the first person you meet after arriving on Coruscant is a corrupt senator
Of course that doesn't mean I don't like playing my Republic characters or interacting with Republic players. I just don't like the fictional faction.
All grind and no joy makes Jack a dull boy.
Click here. I get this, you get this

Jedi_Consular_El
12.23.2018 , 06:18 AM | #29
I myself prefer the Rep stories. Also, I love characters like Kira, T7, Scourge, Zenith, Aric, Elara, Risha, Bowdaar, Akaavi and Nadia. And these are just the class story companions. Also, I love Theron to bits.
As for Jedi Under Siege...
Tau is queen and anyone who disagrees can fight me at Denny's at 3 AM :P

SiegePro
12.23.2018 , 10:07 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by juliushorst View Post
I started the game with a LS Inquisitor and I dislike SWTOR's Republic and Jedi ever since that character visited Alderaan for his class quest. Something like this happened:
Spoiler

Not to mention the first person you meet after arriving on Coruscant is a corrupt senator
Of course that doesn't mean I don't like playing my Republic characters or interacting with Republic players. I just don't like the fictional faction.
Yeah, I remember that particularly sticking in my craw. The guy even acknowledged that he didn’t sense the dark side in you (if your alignment is light 1 or better) and then attacks you anyway.

I think it would have been a lot more interesting if they’d just allowed it to work; highlighting means like deception and manipulation are also tools of the Sith (I mean, Palpatine was the biggest baddest Sith of them all and he conquered the entire Republic with nary a direct act of violence on his own part).

I chalk it up mostly to the need for the Jedi to be scary dogmatics in order to make it clear why your Sith can’t just go defect to the Republic like what happens a couple times in the Jedi stories when you show mercy to a Sith. The Sith PCs have to face off against the most fanatical Jedi so even those who’d objectively be more true to the light side than a Jedi running through on the dark side track of their stories would be don’t really get a real opportunity to question their place in the galaxy.

Which is honestly why, unless they seriously intend to allow faction swapping down the line, I think FE/ET allowing LS Sith to start interacting with non-fanatical Jedi is probably going to be the hardest thing to write around in the future.

My Light 5 Inquisitor who played through saving Makeb, played well with Satele’s Forces during Shadow of Revan, went full on heroic during FE/ET (Koth stuck around and is one of my preferred companions during those stories) and then sided Republic every chance I got thereafter. The idea that the Sith Empire would even want to call me for help on Ossus is kind of immersion breaking on its own (Vowron is an idiot who deserves his inevitable ignominious demise for having called me up for help).

Basically, after seeing how the other half really lives my Ex-Sith would either just try to remain independent or, if they have to pick a side, would try to leverage a Rift Alliance type deal with the Republic rather than become a Sith vassal state.