Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Where Have All The Good Force Sensitive Men Gone And... Where Are All The Gods?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Where Have All The Good Force Sensitive Men Gone And... Where Are All The Gods?

IoNonSoEVero
12.24.2018 , 07:41 PM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by Dracofish View Post
That's fine...we don't have to debate it. I get what Lucas said (and I knew you were going to say that, haha). But BioWare and other EU has kind of blurred the lines a bit...canon or not.

I do want to point out, though, that I don't think of Sith as needing to be "saved". It's one of the reasons I never enjoyed playing (or rooting for) the Jedi. I also don't think of Sith as inherently bad or evil either, despite what any gospel tells me to do...I just think of them as people of all shapes and varieties...raised differently, products of their own origins. There's good ones and there's bad ones (even when from the outside looking in, they're all bad because reasons). As you said, they aren't all nutty death machines looking to burn the galaxy to the ground and rule over the ashes.

And with the whole Dark Side corruption = drugs = always wins in the end...you see plenty of Sith who are able to function with a sense of practicality...even honor. We've already talked about Scourge and Cytharat. But there's Marr. Acina. Lana. Dooku. Hell, even Thanaton...even tho he wants to kill the Sith Inquisitor. Both Marr and Acina are so forward-thinking as to want to move away from the infighting and back-stabbing for power in order to push the Empire into the future. Marr especially puts the good of the Empire before his own personal gain.
All of this. More people than Lucas have had a hand in SW's lore and world-building. As Charles Boyd himself said recently, the lore is a guideline; not an edict, and people are 100% free to interpret and play as they wish. No need for anyone to say anyone else's interpretation is wrong or "not listening to reason."

IMHO one sees fan more Sith than Jedi who are willing to move away from dogma and take a more balanced and pragmatic view.

Damask_Rose
12.24.2018 , 07:44 PM | #42
Not sure where you were going with this...you pretty much listed every male companion, lol. I know it's personal opinion, but it sounds to me like you just don't like men.
Not only that, but he listed some of the worst female companions. Personally, I'd rather romance Khem than Ashara, and Jaesa is one big no thanks psycho!

annabethchase
12.24.2018 , 10:23 PM | #43
This issue doesn't affect me personally but you have my support. Love the song usage!
Thinking about subbing? Use this link to help us both out http://www.swtor.com/r/3txb7F

Eleonora
12.24.2018 , 10:30 PM | #44
Quote: Originally Posted by JattaGin View Post
In the title you seek for "good force sensitive men", here you just ask for "male force users". So, what shall it be?

These are two different topics. I assume that any good force sensitive man will follow the ways of the Jedi and there is no romance in the Jedi lifestyle. Any Jedi who romances you is not following the ways of the Jedi as intended.
It's a song.

Kira (not a man, but somewhat manly in her behaviour) is an example. Thinking about romancing her makes me cringe. All romances in this game with Jedi (and not only those) are cringeworthy to me.
Kira is not manly. Why do you think she's manly? Because she's a woman who speaks her mind, a woman who asserts herself, a woman who doesn't feel the need to vogue constantly? What is wrong with you?

As for non-Jedi male forcer users in general, I don't know. Those romances were written maybe 10 years ago. Different times. I doubt that they calculated with a lot of female (and male) players being interested in that. They obviously thought that the players want to romance and marry some underaged girls like Mako. Luckily, this mindset has changed during the last decade.
Ten years ago was not the 1950s. People were asking ahead of time about these issues, including same gendered romances, and BioWare played it super safe and left any gayness or anything that would topple typical gender roles almost completely out of the game. Oh, we have Kira, who is a strong woman, but you think she's "manly" because of it. She's also in a submissive relationship (romantic or otherwise) with the PC.

To be honest, I admit that I find all romances in this game terrible. I tried it with some of my chars, just to see what happens, but most of my chars remain without a romance. Maybe I'm the only one who finds the romances immersion-breaking, but if my evil, insane body type 3 pure Sithplood female Warrior with Dark V corruption gently kisses Quinn who just tried to kill her, then that is not the least bit romantic. It's just stupid. And all romances end in old-fashioned marriages. I don't like that. (But it's also not important enough to me to write a forum post about it. Wait... )
Yes, it is stupid. I always treat Quinn like garbage after he betrays me and in War for Iokath I finally paid him back for his treachery.. and I'm a light Sith!

To each his own.
*facepalm*

I could live without any romances in this game. With one exception: Tora needs to be romanceable! Romanceable, but no marriage. A raw, lively and wild romance. Throwing chairs at each other (emote soon(tm) on the cartel market) and things like that. <3
So your idea of romance is violence eh? Makes sense.
♪ The keychain you gave me has a tiny sunset,
With two people watching it in silhouette,
It says 'wish you were here' and it's right that I do,
It's been so, so long I've been waiting right here for you. ♪

SithKoriandr
12.24.2018 , 10:58 PM | #45
That's fine...we don't have to debate it. I get what Lucas said (and I knew you were going to say that, haha). But BioWare and other EU has kind of blurred the lines a bit...canon or not.

I do want to point out, though, that I don't think of Sith as needing to be "saved". It's one of the reasons I never enjoyed playing (or rooting for) the Jedi. I also don't think of Sith as inherently bad or evil either, despite what any gospel tells me to do...I just think of them as people of all shapes and varieties...raised differently, products of their own origins. There's good ones and there's bad ones (even when from the outside looking in, they're all bad because reasons). As you said, they aren't all nutty death machines looking to burn the galaxy to the ground and rule over the ashes.

And with the whole Dark Side corruption = drugs = always wins in the end...you see plenty of Sith who are able to function with a sense of practicality...even honor. We've already talked about Scourge and Cytharat. But there's Marr. Acina. Lana. Dooku. Hell, even Thanaton...even tho he wants to kill the Sith Inquisitor. Both Marr and Acina are so forward-thinking as to want to move away from the infighting and back-stabbing for power in order to push the Empire into the future. Marr especially puts the good of the Empire before his own personal gain.
Acina has no honor. She broke the treaty before it was even a year old. That's called back-stabbing.

Thanaton didn't have honor. He pretended to have honor. He ran when he lost his own competition. He then tried to get other Darth's to take out the Inquisitor because he couldn't. He was a good Sith.

Sith are evil. Even Marr, with his honor, tells you he was wrong and not only that, he still had his own evil side, in that he'd kill any who stepped out of line, or at the very least, maim them.

Now they all have their own level of darkness of course. Marr is honorable, he cared only about keeping the Empire going. It was still a horrible Empire. He tried to keep it honorable.

Lana has her own darkness. Though she, oddly, seems to be shown having remorse with some of the kills. Other times no. Could be, "Don't kill your own team but slaughter the enemy." And we all know she prefers the "I'm in charge. Do as I say. I don't care what you say." government mentality (which, when you're near the top, is always a nice way to think, I'm sure).

Now, they may be practical. Still evil. The not quite evil ones are a rarity. They're the exception, not the rule.

Jedi are generally good. Evil is the exception and they all tend to have their personality flaws, even as good guys.

The Sith don't need to be saved, only if one believes survival of the fittest, the strong shall rule, discard the weak, and such mentality is the way to go.

Seeing as how that pretty much sums up 99% of Sith, well, sure, there's some light side ones, but take notice they're usually the PC.
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

Dracofish
12.24.2018 , 11:10 PM | #46
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
Acina has no honor. She broke the treaty before it was even a year old. That's called back-stabbing.

Thanaton didn't have honor. He pretended to have honor. He ran when he lost his own competition. He then tried to get other Darth's to take out the Inquisitor because he couldn't. He was a good Sith.

Sith are evil. Even Marr, with his honor, tells you he was wrong and not only that, he still had his own evil side, in that he'd kill any who stepped out of line, or at the very least, maim them.

Now they all have their own level of darkness of course. Marr is honorable, he cared only about keeping the Empire going. It was still a horrible Empire. He tried to keep it honorable.

Lana has her own darkness. Though she, oddly, seems to be shown having remorse with some of the kills. Other times no. Could be, "Don't kill your own team but slaughter the enemy." And we all know she prefers the "I'm in charge. Do as I say. I don't care what you say." government mentality (which, when you're near the top, is always a nice way to think, I'm sure).

Now, they may be practical. Still evil. The not quite evil ones are a rarity. They're the exception, not the rule.

Jedi are generally good. Evil is the exception and they all tend to have their personality flaws, even as good guys.

The Sith don't need to be saved, only if one believes survival of the fittest, the strong shall rule, discard the weak, and such mentality is the way to go.

Seeing as how that pretty much sums up 99% of Sith, well, sure, there's some light side ones, but take notice they're usually the PC.
Sorry, not going to completely derail the OP's thread and get drawn into a Jedi vs Sith, Republic vs Empire debate. The lines are not so clean-cut. They're both bad, and not so very different in the end. The only difference is that the Empire doesn't try to hide its corruption, xenophobia, and outright acts of genocide. But, you'll believe what you want and there's no changing it. And I'll believe what I want, and there's no changing it. So there's really no point in arguing about it. Happy Holidays.
Me on Ao3! MelissaGT