ranked warzone tournament

lensmo

Ranked warzones have been pretty disappointing recently. I feel like I'm rarely on when my team is queuing or other ranked teams are queuing, and even if they are, its rarely with their full A-team.

So, to spice up our competitive fun, I propose a ranked warzone tournament.

We would have teams signed up with rosters of 10 people (this number is negotiable, anywhere from 8-12) in order to make sure that 1 player does not play on multiple teams. The tournament would be round robin, and would include a finals bracket if enough teams sign up.

All the team captains could go in a separate voip and organize selective queuing so that we play the correct team. Then they can return to their respective voip and play regularly.

It might take a while, but it will be a lot of fun and will hopefully reengage people to start queuing for ranked more often, as well as potentially introducing a few more guilds into the mix.

So, please, if youre interested, post the guild that you plan on signing up with as well as potential dates for the tournament (a guild can run multiple teams as long as individual players do not appear on both rosters). It will most likely be an a Saturday or Sunday. If this is a popular idea, I'll probably create a google doc later on which everybody can sign up on.

I would like to stress one thing here and that is proper planning and not rushing this together over the course of the week only to have two or three teams be on this upcoming weekend. This would honestly be an all day event if you get 6-8 teams involved (that might be wishful thinking) when you consider that we'd have to organize queue's, deal with the possibility that we'd have someone "bugged" and no one gets a pop though both teams are queued, and additionally we'd have to actually play a large number of games in a round robin tournament. People may need some time to schedule this into their lives.

Also regarding time, I know Ascendancy wants to make the effort to get some of our inactive players back that might be interested in this and I'd imagine other guilds may want to do the same. I realize I'm stressing not to do this quickly knowing the logical weekend to do it would be two Saturday's from now which is a holiday weekend which could be a problem for a lot of players. Either way I just want to stress proper planning on this before a date is set. Additionally i fully support this idea and mainly just hope this is set on a Saturday and not a Sunday so I can actually be involved in the games.

I agree about the planning issues.

In terms of "bugged" players, if a player were to bug entering the match or anytime before the match, they can signal that to the other team and the match would be replayed. Otherwise, if a player buggs during a match, the match still counts because there is no way to differentiate an honest error vs someone intentionally leaving the match.

I agree about the planning issues.

In terms of "bugged" players, if a player were to bug entering the match or anytime before the match, they can signal that to the other team and the match would be replayed. Otherwise, if a player buggs during a match, the match still counts because there is no way to differentiate an honest error vs someone intentionally leaving the match.

By players being "bugged" I mean the much talked about yet never confirmed bug where two groups sit in queue and never get a queue pop which would delay the tournament. I mean to imply this could greatly extend the time to play through a round robin tournament which is why I think we need something planned well in advance so people can actually plan a day around it. Creus came into our mumble tonight and talked about the timing of this a bit after I had posted. I responded more out of worry this was going to just be thrown together on the fly to be done this upcoming Saturday which he told me wasn't the case like I had first heard. Needless to say you guys seem to have a handle on it and an idea of how you guys want to do it so I'm eager to hear more about the rules and am willing to offer any suggestions or opinion if needed as is many of the top PVP guilds on the server. Like I said, it sounds fun and I mainly just hope this is on a day I'm available.

This is an *awesome* idea.

What about those of us with multiple toons? Is it reasonable to have one toon assigned to a single team, but a single player can play with multiple toons and thus multiple teams?

On another note, many of us will be gone Thanksgiving week. If we could make it work this upoming Saturday, it may maximize attendance.

Edited by heechJunzi

This saturday is too soon for people to clear their schedules and spread the word to friends who might not come on as often. I agree that it would be a good weekend if we planned this earlier. Ill probably pick a date within the next few days.

Also you cannot have multiple toons on multiple teams. One reason is that you would have to play yourself, another is that it would be unfair if Lebron played small forward for the heat, and shooting guard for the lakers. You can sign up multiple toons on a single team (although it would still take an extra roster spot).

As fun as it would be to coordinate and play the tournament in a single day, i think we should consider allowing it to be played over the course of several days. that way teams competing could coordinate an ideal time with their ideal members. Just a possibility

• 3 weeks later...

I have been asked to bump this thread because I and the group I have been running a lot of ranked matches with lately think that doing a ranked warzone tournament is an excellent idea worth revisiting.

We agree with Tairisa that such a tournament should be scheduled far enough in advance to allow people to plan for it. We also agree with Vara that it should be done over the course of several days rather than in one long day. As such, would the afternoons of Sat, 12/15 and Sun, 12/16 work (say, 1:00-5:00 pm server time)? If we get enough affirmatives we will move forward with those dates or, based on feedback, change the dates and/or times and move forward with those.

In any case, once a date is set we can then begin working out the logistics mentioned by Sirlen (i.e., coordinating exact times to avoid incorrect matchings, creating a sign-up schedule, etc.).

I personally (as well as most other people in college) have finals that weekend and the following week, which would constitute in a large portion of people not able to play. Not to mention this is too short of a time period to contact group players, sign up and also have time to make schedules. Then the weekend of the 22nd, 29th and 5th there would be too many travelers.

Assuming we cannot fit in the tournament into 1 day (which would be very doubtful anyways), we might as well have the matches go over an entire week, and it would be the participating teams that would be in charge of scheduling a match.

Once the match time is determined, then failing to show up for the match would result in a forfeit.

So how does the week of the 7th through the 13th work of January? Finals can take place either sunday or at a later date.

You can throw in C O V E N A N T as well into the mix. Though we will need to know actually what day and see if all of the correct comp can be on : p

P.S. Ascendancy people where is my BFF fellow forum troller Luigi at. I know hes not in your guild though he does run or used to run alot of Rated's with you guys. If you do talk to him tell him Abb's back to have fun with forum spamming one another : x

Edited by Abbrachmann

You can throw in C O V E N A N T as well into the mix. Though we will need to know actually what day and see if all of the correct comp can be on : p

P.S. Ascendancy people where is my BFF fellow forum troller Luigi at. I know hes not in your guild though he does run or used to run alot of Rated's with you guys. If you do talk to him tell him Abb's back to have fun with forum spamming one another : x

Not in the guild? He's been in the guild since the very first server merger.

Not in the guild? He's been in the guild since the very first server merger.

Hmmm really.............funny I actually remember him being in the pve guild. I wish I still had the screenshots I took of his gear a coupel months back when I was playing and the guild tag that was with it. Because it was not Ascendancy! But please please forgive me for saying he is not in your guild I do apologize...........O wait I dont care what guild he is in or was in I just want to see the good players back silly me. :eek: I do know he would always beat Tairisa on the leader boards.

Edited by Abbrachmann

:eek: I do know he would always beat Tairisa on the leader boards.

Oh snap. Well at least I can take solace in the fact that I know Covenant has managed to take at least two steps backwards in terms of trying to be better than us with you returning.

Oh snap. Well at least I can take solace in the fact that I know Covenant has managed to take at least two steps backwards in terms of trying to be better than us with you returning.

Oh damn, score for Tairisa. So cmon Abb, you got this!

- Jolly'o Goodshow

I do know he would always beat Tairisa on the leader boards.

I got a little Award-happy on Ascendancy's guild website - ended up giving the 'Not Luigii Award' to Tai. :p

Maybe I should have given him 'Most **** Talked on the Forums'!

From what I heard, Luigii doesn't plan on resubbing.

Also, had fun seeing you in that WZ today! Too bad Slash was chasing you around. I wanted to sit and heal next to you just for funsies. (Well, while Ajhure was dead. He makes it difficult to eat breakfast and half-*** healing at the same time.) :)

I got a little Award-happy on Ascendancy's guild website - ended up giving the 'Not Luigii Award' to Tai. :p

Maybe I should have given him 'Most **** Talked on the Forums'!

From what I heard, Luigii doesn't plan on resubbing.

Also, had fun seeing you in that WZ today! Too bad Slash was chasing you around. I wanted to sit and heal next to you just for funsies. (Well, while Ajhure was dead. He makes it difficult to eat breakfast and half-*** healing at the same time.) :)

That is the 3rd time I have seen him. Is he new or what was his old name or old main? Wondering if he did like everyone else and changed to flavor of the month class. Never the less he is good at stunning running away then jumping back and stunning with a 6k crit..........very annoying at the momment to say the least lol ...... but he needs to learn some manners and take me out to lunch first before he puts me on my back.

I think his name should be called tiger instead of Slash imo.

Edited by Abbrachmann

but he needs to learn some manners and take me out to lunch first before he puts me on my back.

I think he name should be called tiger instead of Slash imo.

Hahaha! I feel that way sometimes too!

I think he was originally on another server, but switched to Harbinger at some point after all the mergers. I could be wrong though. All I know is that Chrysalys introduced him to Ascendancy. :)

Hahaha! I feel that way sometimes too!

I think he was originally on another server, but switched to Harbinger at some point after all the mergers. I could be wrong though. All I know is that Chrysalys introduced him to Ascendancy. :)

Well very nice, hes one of your guild mates that doesnt mind queing by himself during the day without having 4 guildies with him against alot of fail pugs lol. However it sounds like there is a back story with how Chrysalys introduced him to Ascendancy... haha I wouldnt mind hearing.:cool: