returning sorc...does it make a difference on what companion you use now?

aDeckard

Things have obviously changed since I played 2.5 years ago and one of the big ones is having so many companions you can choose from and not being able to customize them with armor and such.

Anyway I cant honestly tell but does it make a difference anymore on what companion your using for dps, heals, tank?

I know the companion loyalty level does obviously make a difference in stats but besides range and mele does it make a difference on what companion I use really.

Thanks I'm sure there is a thread in here that explains it all but I'll be darned if I can find it.

well I know you can assign different roles that hadn't changed but as far as one being better than another is that the same?

Not sure how to explain what I'm asking really but

Lets say I'm using Gault as my dps he's ranged and lets say he has a loyalty of 30 I switch to aric jorgan and use dps instead and still at a loyalty of 30. Is the dps the two provide going to basically be the same since from what I understand they draw there stats from my armor any there loyalty level.

Same question as to heals and same with tank are they going to provide basically the same heals or am I better off using one or the other or a completely different companion.

I think I explained it right but then again it's right in my head not necessarily right on the page.....

Here is what a guildmate found testing "rank 50 companions with 3656 presence on a Mk-5 combat dummy on Ziost Shadow doing 500k total damage cause DPS stays the same for comps after that point"

1. Torian Cadera v2 - Sniper Rifle - Tech - Ranged -5.1k dps

2. Theron Shan - 2Blaster Pistols - Tech - Ranged - 5k dps

3. Veeroa Denz - 2 Lightsabers - Force - Melee - 5k dps

4. 2V-R8 - Blaster Pistol - Tech - Ranged - 4.9k

5. Nico Okaar - 2 Blaster pistols - Tech - Ranged - 4.9k dps

6. C2-N2 - Blaster Pistol - Tech - Ranged - 4.8k

7. "Deadeye" Leyta - 1Blaster Pistol - Tech - Ranged - 4.8k dps

8. Talos Drelik - Blaster Pistol - Tech - Ranged - 4.8k dps

9. HK-55 - Blaster Rifle - Tech - Ranged - 4.7k dps

10. Vector - Techstaff - Tech - Melee - 4.7k dps

11. Koth - Blaster Rifle -Tech - Ranged - 4.6k dps

12. Scorpio - Blaster Rifle - Tech - Ranged - 4.6k dps

13. Pierce - Blaster Rifle - Tech - Ranged - 4.5k

14. Lana Beniko - Lightsaber - Force - Melee - 4.5k dps

15. Xalek - DoubleBladed Saber - Force - Melee - 4.5k dps

16. T7 - Blaster Pistol - Tech - Ranged - 4.5k

17. Bowdaar - Vibrosword - Tech - Melee - 4.5k dps

18. Yuun - Techblade - Tech - Melee - 4.5k dps

19. Qyzen - Vibrosword - Tech - Melee - 4.4k

20. HK-51 - Sniper Rifle - Tech - Ranged - 4.2k

21. Treek - Blaster Rifle - Tech - Ranged - 3.8k

22. Senya Tirall - Lightsaber - Force - Melee - 3.5k dps

23. Akk Dogg - Creature - Melee - 3.3k dps

This was done back in Spring 2016 so this is not a comprehensive list.

Edited by psandak

Things have obviously changed since I played 2.5 years ago and one of the big ones is having so many companions you can choose from and not being able to customize them with armor and such.

Anyway I cant honestly tell but does it make a difference anymore on what companion your using for dps, heals, tank?

I know the companion loyalty level does obviously make a difference in stats but besides range and mele does it make a difference on what companion I use really.

Thanks I'm sure there is a thread in here that explains it all but I'll be darned if I can find it.

I've done more recent research and yes, it makes a large difference. Take a look at the Most effective companions section of my guide as well as the parses section:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=677289

Companions with 2 weapons do more damage. I think this is an accidental bug introduced, having something to do with double crit chances over time. Ranged companions, regardless of their accuracy have some "misses", so melee 2 weapon-ed companions do the most damage in the game. So Ashara, Veeroa and the future DvL light side companion are tops.

To really compare dps output you have to do at least 1 mil damage, 500k damage gets pretty wonky and random I found.

Edited by KevMeup

well I know you can assign different roles that hadn't changed but as far as one being better than another is that the same?

Not sure how to explain what I'm asking really but

Lets say I'm using Gault as my dps he's ranged and lets say he has a loyalty of 30 I switch to aric jorgan and use dps instead and still at a loyalty of 30. Is the dps the two provide going to basically be the same since from what I understand they draw there stats from my armor any there loyalty level.

Same question as to heals and same with tank are they going to provide basically the same heals or am I better off using one or the other or a completely different companion.

I think I explained it right but then again it's right in my head not necessarily right on the page.....

The same loyalty (influence) and same weapon type will grant the same effectiveness as long as it's not one of the bugged companions. Heals are hard coded and have nothing to do with the weapon type the companion uses (all tool tips are just estimates). They are only bugged on Treek , warbot and QQ-77.

Edited by KevMeup