What *are* the pvp restrictions for Preferred players?

Akharus

I noticed I can queue him infinitely XD

What's ranked though? The last time I played, player controlled pvp dogfights weren't even a thing :(

tldr; Ranked is a 4v4 (arena) mode you can queue for separately @ max level, where the game keeps track of a "rank" for you as you play.

the tl part; You can queue for "solo ranked", which mean you queue by yourself, and it puts you into a group with 3 other people. In theory the game mode tries to put together "fair" teams. How it might do this is a topic of "discussion" here. You can also queue for "group ranked" if you group up with 3 friends. Currently though, pretty much only solo ranked pops.

Bioware runs seasons, and gives out rewards based on which tier you place into (bronze, silver, gold). You can see your rank in your PvP screen, and you can see everyone's on the leaderboards web page...

http://www.swtor.com/leaderboards

Don't let the "season 11 has started" at the top fool you, season 11 is over, season 12 starts sometime around mid December. You can still queue ranked right now, but it's "off season" and doesn't count towards your rank.

Rank is determined by some "biowared" form of ELO. The apparent mechanics and results of which are a hot topic of contention here.

In theory anyone can queue for ranked once you reach max level and have, er.. 25 valor I think. Some really low level you can get LONG before you get to max level. In practice, exactly how "good" you should be before queuing for ranked is another topic of contention. Most regular ranked players, I think, expect you to know your class well, be able to survive for at least a while if focused by the other side, know how and when to use your defensive cool downs, etc. And you are expected to be actively trying to win (which has been another topic of discussion here, because bioware has lately been gating gear and/or crafting materials behind ranked play and then "mat farmers" enter, who are really only there to pass the time and get their mats/gear - but at least ranked is not a good way to get gear in 6.0).

• 2 years later...