Where did EA go Wrong?

Selenial

There was a time in the past when hardcore gamers could support a game. But that time has past. A game has to either manage it finances over the long term very carefully and maintain a small but hardcore population or appeal to a wide casual audience.

This was a big budget game designed to appeal to appeal to the "WoW" hardcore crowd. That was a mistake IMO...it has a much broader appeal now, this is how it should have been at launch.

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a time in the past when hardcore gamers could support a game. But that time has past. A game has to either manage it finances over the long term very carefully and maintain a small but hardcore population or appeal to a wide casual audience.

This was a big budget game designed to appeal to appeal to the "WoW" hardcore crowd. That was a mistake IMO...it has a much broader appeal now, this is how it should have been at launch.

How does it have a much wider appeal now?

Other than fluff, which they charge us extra for, they haven't changed anything with the core of the game.

The first 2 years of WoW was the best era of gaming to date.. in my opinion anyways... save for maybe the good years of EQ1 and the good ole days of MUDs. Some can claim to hate it, some can claim to have never played it, but several million people, consistently for 7+ years, all beg to differ.

If it wasn't for the success of WoW, you would see 1/10th as many MMOs as you see now days.... and those you did see would have 1/10th as many features.

Very true. But WoW also gave us what a lot of us don't want...the spoon fed linear game designed for the lowest common denominator.

How does it have a much wider appeal now?

Other than fluff, which they charge us extra for, they haven't changed anything with the core of the game.

The core of the game wasn't necessarily the problem. It needed the addition of features that would appeal to casual gamers, like appearance options, QoL features, achievements, etc.

Moving planetary comes to a unified model, free respecs, F2P, Cartel Market, opening up cross class gear and adding plenty of adaptive armor sets, appearance change after creation, dyes, speeders at lower levels, XP boosts, the legacy system, ability to put convenience kiosks on your ship...these types of things appeal to casual gamers IMO. The original design of the game was dead set against most of them.

The game could still use starship interior customization, more minigames like swoop racing and/or Pazaak, personal bios, more appearance options, etc.

The appeal to a wider casual base is growing IMO. Having most of it in the market is not an issue to most casual gamers IMO...the modern MMO F2P business model and it's popularity stands in evidence.

I'm actually playing the game right now my friend. I can actually multi-task some parts of the game with the forum at the same time. What is your point?

If you multi-task, so be it.

And.. you are correct... I don't start threads with any regularity. What is your point?

You seem to be overtly concerned with other people's opinions, especially where defense of SWTOR is concerned.

Yes I add response posts to forum threads almost ever day.. sometimes many, sometimes few, sometimes none. What is your point? Is there a quota system I am violating or something?

There is no quota, no. The point is that you spend so much time doing this one has to ask why you feel it requires so much of your time.

You forgot to do a word count. Please to provide word count of my posts for the last 30 days.. you know.. for completeness of your current research project. :p

very sassy.

1) Credibility rests with each reader. You are not the credibility police. But thank you for your concern.

And yet most of what you concern yourself with is smashing the credibility of others. I based my judgment solely on the responses I've witnessed over the months.

2) People present topics, and discussion their views and opinions. Some I agree with, some I disagree with. I'm as free to comment on a topic as anyone else is. And I do. Sorry you do not like it. Put me on /ignore by all means if my opinions expressed in my posts are not acceptable to you and you do not want to engage in discussion.

I think if people could simply put you on an ignore list and your posts became invisible, this conversation wouldn't even be taking place. That said, you have all the right in the world to post your opinion.

3) Please stop making personal attacks. Discuss the topic, not metrics on my posting history and ad hominem determinations as to what they mean.

I have made no attack. I was friendly and trying to help you see a better way of things. I'm sorry you felt assaulted as that was not my intent.

Please note: your entire post constitutes "calling out" which is against forum rules. However, I will not report you for it, as I would rather respond and discuss then call for police action. :)

I did not name you in my post so no call out was made. I simply addressed you with an opinion of my own in response to yours. If you would prefer to have this discussion through private message rather than public, I'm open to conversation but please don't think I mean you any disrespect, it was not intended.

The core of the game wasn't necessarily the problem. It needed the addition of features that would appeal to casual gamers, like appearance options, QoL features, achievements, etc.

Moving planetary comes to a unified model, free respecs, F2P, Cartel Market, opening up cross class gear and adding plenty of adaptive armor sets, appearance change after creation, dyes, speeders at lower levels, XP boosts, the legacy system, ability to put convenience kiosks on your ship...these types of things appeal to casual gamers IMO. The original design of the game was dead set against most of them.

The game could still use starship interior customization, more minigames like swoop racing and/or Pazaak, personal bios, more appearance options, etc.

The appeal to a wider casual base is growing IMO. Having most of it in the market is not an issue to most casual gamers IMO...the modern MMO F2P business model and it's popularity stands in evidence.

I disagree, the core of the game was and is problem #1. It's too easy and too short to keep interest. Nothing has been done to change that. Changing it would not have been easy, granted. The game isn't a railroad, it's a subway tunnel.

The first 2 years of WoW was the best era of gaming to date.. in my opinion anyways... save for maybe the good years of EQ1 and the good ole days of MUDs. Some can claim to hate it, some can claim to have never played it, but several million people, consistently for 7+ years, all beg to differ.

If it wasn't for the success of WoW, you would see 1/10th as many MMOs as you see now days.... and those you did see would have 1/10th as many features.

The reason why it was the best is because WoW, back then, held the standard that raiding is something that takes dedication and time. Then casuals who refused to group, refused to put the time in, and refused to get good enough to raid would complain, "Why am I paying for this game when I can't see all the content? *cry* I should be allowed to raid at my own leisure, solo-style playing for 30 mins a day. It's not fair."

Unfortunately, that soon became a large portion of the player-base and MMO's have never been the same.

I did not name you in my post so no call out was made. I simply addressed you with an opinion of my own in response to yours. If you would prefer to have this discussion through private message rather than public, I'm open to conversation but please don't think I mean you any disrespect, it was not intended.

You quote Andryah then started a direct attack to someone you referred to as "you". You're back-pedaling is futile as you're not really fooling anyone with your "no, it was an ambiguous person I was speaking to" remarks.

I'm trying to straighten them, not twist them.

Pretending MMO's are some magical product that has any appeal to the mainstream is destroying MMO's. They are throwing away an audience they actually have for the phantom potential of a huge audience that has absolutely no interest in MMO's.

You missed my point completely. I was actually agreeing with you more than disagreeing and yet you STILL had to make some kind of point. Yeesh.

Like it or not, MMOs have a much wider audience now than what they did 10 years ago. Any bid budget game ( and All games are getting much more expensive to make) need to hit a wider "mainstream" audience in the gaming community. That doesn't mean its a mainstream product...like popular jeans or t-shirts.

Your OPINION is that the mainstreaming and dumbing down to hit a wider audience has hurt the genre in general. No...it has hurt it FOR YOU. You want something different. That's fine...and you can have that opinion.

But fact states that MMOs are big business now. They cost a lot but they also have the potential to make a lot of money for the company that produced it. Many, many more gamers are playing MMOs now. If the genre was actually worse then the population would decline but the facts do not support that assertion. Millions upon millions of gamers are playing some type of MMO. Facts would say the genre is much more successful than 10 years ago.

That doesn't mean its better in your eyes, but from a business perspective the genre is growing rapidly.

If you want a certain type of game you have many choices. Understand that this game will never, ever be a complicated MMO with tons of underlying systems and rules. That is not the audience. You can either accept that or you can pretend to hate it. Pick one.

I disagree, the core of the game was and is problem #1. It's too easy and too short to keep interest. Nothing has been done to change that. Changing it would not have been easy, granted. The game isn't a railroad, it's a subway tunnel.

The core of the game has nothing to do with the length. The core of the game is the underlying design and combat systems. Everything is built on that foundation.

Content equals length. Content is not the core of the gameplay. I agree, for some people the leveling process was too quick and there wasn't enough content at launch. Not for me...but for some people.

But make no mistake, content is not the core gameplay design. Content is...well content.

Edited by Arkerus

You quote Andryah then started a direct attack to someone you referred to as "you". You're back-pedaling is futile as you're not really fooling anyone with your "no, it was an ambiguous person I was speaking to" remarks.

I'm still not sure what attack you think occurred. Was I somehow mean to her? I may have gone off topic but quoting someone then responding with your own opinion on what that person thinks is exactly what we all do every day.

When someone posts their thoughts on here and someone responds telling them that their opinion is foolish garbage, is that somehow different? More on topic to the thread perhaps, but not a call out or attack apparently.

I told her my opinion, she asked me questions in return and I answered them. There was no "attack". I've already told her that if she wants to discuss it in private I'm open to it.

Besides, http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=653857 You unsubbed, not really sure why you're concerned about what happens here anymore.

We should return to topic now so this doesn't become any more derailed please.

Edited by Elfa

First post on this thread was 7 days ago and its already up to 29 pages.

Its EA; a two time recipient of the "Worst Company in America." We can't expect much. People tell them what's wrong and they ignore them.

Edit

I just pushed this to 30 pages.

Edited by IkolLoki

Its EA; a two time recipient of the "Worst Company in America." We can't expect much. People tell them what's wrong and they ignore them.

Edit

That's a lot of pages man, there must be something to this or maybe its just mass hysteria, who knows.

If you were going to introduce a new car to the market but the car you were selling had all the options of a model T then why would you be surprised that people aren’t wildly enthusiastic about it?. X wing is now 20 years old yet our space combat has less features, the game offered less classes, races and planets to explore than SWG, and the class system we have is more restrictive. I acknowledge that a starting MMO doesn’t want to invest in a lot of content that people may not want to play, but why would I buy something that has less features apart from better graphics than what was already on the market?.

The time period and phoney war setting doesn’t seem to be a great choice either, people come to a Star Wars game wanting to shoot guys in Shiny white suits, yet we spend most of our time fighting smugglers or the cartel, it’s like buying a WW2 game and not being able to fight Nazis, a storm trooper mirror class for the imperials would go a long way to fixing this situation. The epic moments in the films more often than not revolve around space battles yet space combat is seen as optional, which flies in the face of the intellectual property, space ships themselves are still painful it takes 10 minutes to get to your bridge to travel between planets but you don’t have any sense of navigating to a different part of the galaxy, its just 10 minutes of clicking buttons to change instances, put an option to access the galaxy map on the fleet hanger doors usable by all classes, or an option to visit my ship to fix this problem.

Well, they're about to lose me as a subscriber because I can't buy the expansion. I've tried everything. They don't want my money. Honestly, I'd love to keep playing! :(

Edit: Credit where it's due. This issue has been fixed!

Edited by Xonell
Issue resolved! See other posts

Well, they're about to lose me as a subscriber because I can't buy the expansion. I've tried everything. They don't want my money. Honestly, I'd love to keep playing! :(

Have you called customer support?

Edit

Never use that Worst Company line. Until EA starts taking your home, extorting and blackmailing you (No, the CM market is none of those) or killing the planet upon which you live, they are not the worst company in the world. Bad service does not trump deadly oil spills, so the hyperbole needs to be tempered. EA may be a mean game company, but they are not the Worst Company.

Have you called customer support?

Hahahahahahahaha!

Yes. Twice. I was on hold for about an hour each time and never got through to anyone in billing. Keep in mind, this is for a problem THEY created. It's not up to me to fix their buggy credit card system.

Edit: Issue resolved! See other posts.

Edited by Xonell

Never use that Worst Company line. Until EA starts taking your home, extorting and blackmailing you (No, the CM market is none of those) or killing the planet upon which you live, they are not the worst company in the world. Bad service does not trump deadly oil spills, so the hyperbole needs to be tempered. EA may be a mean game company, but they are not the Worst Company.

Agreed. That stuff needs to stop. They may have the worst customer service but they're no BoA or BP.

Hahahahahahahaha!

Yes. Twice. I was on hold for about an hour each time and never got through to anyone in billing. Keep in mind, this is for a problem THEY created. It's not up to me to fix their buggy credit card system.

Yes, I know their phone support isn't that great. You could try a prepaid walmart card. That's what I use for everything online.