For people who have read SWTOR REVAN

sfatmedic

***Contains Spoliers******

Currently deployed overseas and unable to play well anything really, so to occupy what little free time I have I began to read several Star Wars books. I just finished reading Revan. Although i enjoyed the book and the story I felt the ending was unjust for a character loved through most of the SWKOTOR gaming community.

In my opinion throwing Revan in prison then having him rescued only to be imprisoned within a week of his escape for nearly eternity was well harsh. In all honesty the ending was a bitter end to an epic character. Now i haven't yet been able to see how all this ties into new game but i have a feeling it will be similar to spitting on Revan with some sorry garbage encounter and ending.

Feel free to share your opinions or comments.

Edited by sfatmedic

The problem is the player (in this case you) played as Revan and did some fantastic feats.

We tend to view Revan as our special character who is on par with Luke Skywalker, Darth Vader, the Emperor... etc. etc.

The fact is he is not, he is a good Jedi who did some fantastic things, but he is far from the all powerful force we created in our games.

Agree with the poster above, Just because you could tear apart mobs in KoToR doesn't mean Revan is that character. To me, he has no peronality, feelings, goals or big feats except for the ones we give him when playing the game.

Agreed but then why go through the trouble of writing a book about Revan just so they could end him like a chump.

Agreed but then why go through the trouble of writing a book about Revan just so they could end him like a chump.

For this game...

Honestly, if this sounds stupid then yell at me but. ..

I think Drew is one of the worst writers and the reason his best book(Which is arguably) Path of Destruction is because LucasArts and maybe Lucas himself aided him. Because PoD set the guidelines for The Sith in the Movies. And it explains allot of why things are the way they are.

Because RoT and DoE were not nearly as great as PoD. And Revan was absoloutely terrible.

Deceived was way better than Revan novel, I can't understand how someone who wrote the Bane Trilogy (which I thought was ok OVERALL, had its ups and downs), could spew out such crap.

He simultaneously ruined both the emperor, and Revan, and the Exile to a lesser extent.

And when I say ruined, I mean that in the most gentlest ways.

I'm not even a Revan fan, I've never even played KotOR, but Drew is just a bad writer.

The problem is the player (in this case you) played as Revan and did some fantastic feats.

We tend to view Revan as our special character who is on par with Luke Skywalker, Darth Vader, the Emperor... etc. etc.

The fact is he is not, he is a good Jedi who did some fantastic things, but he is far from the all powerful force we created in our games.

Actually revan is better than them. As for the book i must agree. It was a big letdown.

Revan would not stand a chance against Yoda, Luke, Emperor etc.

I disagree, Revan is a powerful Jedi, look at some of his accomplishments. The problem with the book is we didn't have any battles that showed Revan's true skill. The only thing close was when he redirected the force lighting attack from Darth Nyriss and killed her. The problem was the main antagonist was the emperor who is this extremely powerful character, stronger than any other character in the Star Wars universe. So when compared to the emperor, Revan seems pretty weak.

What a lot of people seem to miss, is that it states multiple times...

If Scourge hadn't had his vision of the Emperor's death, and hadn't stabbed Meetra Revan could have beaten the Emperor, and stopped the Empire then and there, I mean really, if you were fighting the most powerful being in the universe, then watch the closet friend you've ever had that's still alive (The other one being killed by you) be stabbed by someone you trusted to help you, you would be too shocked to do anything either, just like Revan.

Edited by taelinn

What a lot of people seem to miss, is that it states multiple times...

If Scourge hadn't had his vision of the Emperor's death, and hadn't stabbed Meetra Revan could have beaten the Emperor, and stopped the Empire then and there, I mean really, if you were fighting the most powerful being in the universe, then watch the closet friend you've ever had that's still alive (The other one being killed by you) be stabbed by someone you trusted to help you, you would be too shocked to do anything either, just like Revan.

No it doesn't. In fact it states the opposite, it stated Revan knew he couldn't beat The Emperor but he could delay him or die trying.

I disagree, Revan is a powerful Jedi, look at some of his accomplishments. The problem with the book is we didn't have any battles that showed Revan's true skill. The only thing close was when he redirected the force lighting attack from Darth Nyriss and killed her. The problem was the main antagonist was the emperor who is this extremely powerful character, stronger than any other character in the Star Wars universe. So when compared to the emperor, Revan seems pretty weak.

Luke or Sidious or Caedus could probably beat Vitate... I'd bet Exar Kun could succeed too.

It's Canon!

Luke, Sidious, Yoda they are the greatest of their respected professions. EVER.

Sidious would cackle and laugh at Vitiate, laugh at how weak he is by not truly mastering the Dark Side. The trinkets, the rituals, immortality at the cost of all life. That is not true power... Palpatine understood that.

Luke in his prime is more powerful than any Jedi or Sith, EVER. This is also canon. These days he has to fight multiple Sith at a time, while taking care of a crutch or two, while injuired, while tired, or just plain fight what is essentially a god in Star Wars, and he even then is victorious.

I was pretty disappointed with the book as well and I like most of his books. Of course, I am convinced this book was written specifically to be a lead-in to the Taral V/Maelstrom Flashpoints. I won't drop any more of a spoiler than that since there are some who haven't completed them yet.

'Revan' was disappointing, not for the story, but in its brevity and lack of anything worth caring about. I'm with the above poster; this book was written to explain the 'Jedi Prisoner' questline, and the Lord Scourge companion character. That's it.

Also, the Scourge character in game... is not at all what I expected after reading this. He doesn't seem angry enough.. or in great, searing pain.

Because they couldn't just leave him at where it was, He went off to the unkown regions.. and then what?

The book cleared up what happened there, He got a honorable ending since he got to become one with the force just like Yoda & Obi - Wan. Since TOR isn't about Revan means that they can't focus on him anymore, Ther's nothing more to tell and they couldn't just leave him in the unkown regions..

That's why he came back to die, So that these 8 new character stories could have their moments.

Edited by _Zorth_

He needed to stay gone. I'm disappointed by his fate because it seemed like a blatant attempt to shoehorn him into SWTOR.

I'm really irritated with the mis-handling of the group dynamics too. The group of KoTOR I was mentioned and some half-*** reasons were given. The group from II weren't even given a thought. Which leads into...

The mis-handling of the Exile. For real? This is the protege of the Great, Amazing Kreia? This cliche Jedi who suffered from some of the worst Chickification and Stuffed Into the Fridge of any character I've ever seen.

I honestly think KoTOR II was ignored and disrespected because it was Oblivion instead of Bioware who made the characters.

Give me a break. Luke was pathetic. The only reason he seemed so strong is 1) These 3 movies were the start of the series way back when, 2) There were no other Jedi to compare him to (Yoda was practically in his death bed already and been tired out since Anakin first turned), 3) Vader had nothing that could stand against him either, so while a shadow of his former self, he wasn't as strong as he was.

And to make it worse because the original movies are so old, it all looks so bland compared to all the rest of the canon, games movies out now.

Revan was strong because he learned to embrace both sides of the force. His exploits were legendary even before you get to start playing him in kotor 1. And the writer of the book had to come up with some stupid reason for him to fail because those characters needed to be around for this game.

***Contains Spoliers******

Currently deployed overseas and unable to play well anything really, so to occupy what little free time I have I began to read several Star Wars books. I just finished reading Revan. Although i enjoyed the book and the story I felt the ending was unjust for a character loved through most of the SWKOTOR gaming community.

In my opinion throwing Revan in prison then having him rescued only to be imprisoned within a week of his escape for nearly eternity was well harsh. In all honesty the ending was a bitter end to an epic character. Now i haven't yet been able to see how all this ties into new game but i have a feeling it will be similar to spitting on Revan with some sorry garbage encounter and ending.

Feel free to share your opinions or comments.

I agree with you for the most part, but I don't mind his ultimate fate. I'm glad that Revan survived one way or another to this era of SW. My issue though is with the way it was written. It just ends so abruptly, and Revan barely puts up a fight after easily handling a member of the dark council. I would have liked to see Revan put up more of a fight and not go out so easily.

I hate the whole Cannon bs , Lucas has allowed his story to reach beyond the Cannon , movies , and books .

Vadar was a TOOL , a powerful one that did alot in his time to alot of nobodies .

Vadar lost to Obi-wan 2x, 1 resulting in his disfigurement and disability that destroyed his ability to control the force as he could prefight . He had to use most his energy with the force to help his movement as the Emperor made it so he had too to limit him if he came to ever fight the emperor !

2nd FIght Obi-wan had to give his life to Vadar so teh others could get away , something that Darth Malgus killed his own master over in "RETURN" .

Vadar's apprentice " Galen Marek " Beat Vadar 2x as well, both times Vadar with full hate could not stop !

Luke barely beat Vadar with Vadar holding back ! Vadar did not want to kill his son and in the end turned back to the light with his death finally breaking the Emperor's hold on him.

No question Anakin could have been great and if on equal terms could beat Revan but it was never to be equal and if they both met in their primes with everything done to them as it was , Revan would beat Vadar . Does not mean the fight would not be EPIC , it just means on some level Revan would be better .

Revan could never win again Palpitine , just would not happen no matter cannon or not. Emperor Vitiate in his own right was probably just as powerful as Palpitine and beat Revan without even breaking a sweat !

Palptine was a Coward and did not really believe in the Rule of Two and Vitiate never respected it as well . Vitiate never had a master really and learned most on his own as he was BORN OF THE FORCE . Palpitine feared his master as he feared anyone who could use the force that was not under his control . Palpitine never trained a Apprentice to beat him , because he wanted to rule forever where other sithlords want to die to a worthy Apprentice . If they are worthy the lose seems more respected than if they were weak . Palpitine thought Vadar was weak and wanted Vadar to train his own replacement , even Palpitine trained accouple on the side in hopes one could take Vadar's place !

Revan did not die in foundry , he did the same move that he did in the fight with Vitiate to try and get away . Haters just want Revan dead , just like Haters never give Vadar any props .

Vadar was a BEAST even with his disability and would not be a easy fight but Revan is a Beast as well and would win .

By the way , George Lucas had help writing the whole Star Wars trilogy books and movie. I am a big fan of Lucas but he discredits the story that he also approves , thats kinda nutz . While publicly he says things are this and that , in private he approves everything that is to use the SW name . This includes all EU ! He is a Sales man , and is trying to keep alive the heart of the story which is the Trilogy that we all love I hope .

Him saying this that or the other thing is mostly to maintain the ability to sell properties .If he truely believed in what he said , he would not allow these characters to reach the heights they are reaching through the comics , games , and books . Make no mistake he knows what is going on and approves it while maintaining his love for his original characters .

To be honest him saying one character is "THE MOST POWERFUL" or "BE ALL END ALL" is like biting the hands that have made sure his story has reached beyond the movies , Star Wars has a Fan Base that was beyond what he ment !

Saying Revan could beat Vadar is not a fan boy thing, it is honestly taking 2 stories and realising that Revan at his time was just as powerful as Vadar was predisfigurement .

Anakin if allowed to mature undifigured and continued his training would have beat Revan but it did not happen .

We are comparing a character who used a Bulk of his powers to move around to a character who was considered to be the heart of teh force . Who when fully awakened knew more than most of his time . Saddly with Age , Emperor Vitiate also born of the force knew more, and had more time to learn it.

One could be considered more powerful and have more intouch with the force ,but them knowing how to use it toppled those who could not.

Thus Revan might have been more Powerful than Vitiate but could not win .

The only person Revan could not beat had the longest life to prefect his ability to use the force , possibly making him the most skilled force user in history .

While Palpitine and Vitiate mirror one another , Vitiate killed his SIthlord Father at the age of 6 with no problems ! By the time he was in his teens , he controled his planet with his mind and gained the respect of the Lord of the Sith Marka Ragnos .

Every Sithlord including Vadar has use relics to increase their power.

In years alone , he out lived Palpitine by one thousand years . Thats even if you include all the clones Palpitine had . There is no feets that Palpitine did that Vitiate did not do !

It is to my belief in the long run , the sith of old were more powerful because they had to be . Palpitine comes from a line of sith that used power to remain hidden . Not to mention he only beat his own master because his master thought he had more control than he did and trusted his Apprentice to sleep around him . Palpitine killed him in his sleep . Vitiate had no master but killed his father , lord of the sith at the age of 6 in full combat !

There is a reason people love the EU, it has story that goes beyond a few movies . I personally will always love Vadar and he will always be more my favorite sithlord over Revan , but I know what is and ain't and Vadar cannot take Revan as a disfigured half robot who Palpitine made to lose if they had to come to fight.

Lucas saying 80% was a quick answer and probably not one that he honestly put time into thinking about.

Vadar in his suit was probably still 100x more powerful than Palpitine but the fact that most his power went into that suit made him harshly not as powerful as he could have been , and any well matured and powerful Jedi would have used that weakness.

You guys also have to take into account that alot of powerful jedi were not killed by Vadar but his Apprentice who by Lucas's own approval was more able to beat Vadar than anyone else before or after . Had it not been for Palpitine's own power , the empire would have ended with Vadar's defeat .

I think Galen Merek would have beat Revan , just because he had so much untapped power that let loss too often . Galen Merek pulled ships from space to planets below ............lol *** ! Vadar Trained him well and said he was very powerful, but Merek's willpower was toomuch to control !

I appreciate a lot of the EU lore, but Vader will always be the de facto Sith Lord for me, despite his status as a cripple. Some fans were disappointed with his portrayal in the prequels, and the actor's performance had a lot to be desired, but the story was solid, and gave Vader some much needed backstory. Before, he was just this old dude in an awesome suit, and now we know what he could've been.

That drama will forever make Vader the most awesome Star Wars character.

Revan seems a bit bland in comparison. Sure he may be able to use both the dark and light side of the force, but not through any effort of his own.

Malgus is by far more interesting, sort of like an Anakin that embraced the power of the Sith, instead of forever pulling away and being indecisive.