Arsenal/Bodyguard Hybrids in 1.4/1.5

Arealbigduck

Hi,

I've recently started a Mercenary alt which I was originially going to make Arsenal specced. I found some old guides from the Beta and pre1.2 which talked about hybrids between arsenal and bodyguard, I wonder if there are any updated guides, I couldn't find any?

What's the general consensus on Hybrids? I was thinking of a focus on Arsenal that allows some healing, but I'd also be open to more of a focus on Bodyguard that can also deal some damage.

Thanks

Yeah i recently tried Bodguard/Pyro hybrid. You kinda need your instant heal to survive the big hits maruaders/juggs will smash you with and incindiary missle can be ignored without the damage buffs from the pyro tree.

Hybrid just isn't possible. Tracer missle and Incindiary require too many other talents so they are viable in their own trees to make a decent hybrid.

That's a shame, what about if I was only to do PVE? An arsenal/bodyguard with the focus on arsenal but able to help out with healing (even only self healing) when the going got tough?

Nope.

You have dedicated healers for a reason.

If you "have" to help out with healing which is rare but it happens you use your basic two heals.

It's just poor PVE play if you are gimping your dps talents and hoping the healers fail so you can justify speccing into healing talents.

Nope.

You have dedicated healers for a reason.

If you "have" to help out with healing which is rare but it happens you use your basic two heals.

It's just poor PVE play if you are gimping your dps talents and hoping the healers fail so you can justify speccing into healing talents.

^ what he said. Healers should pretty much never be DPSing in raids (except on trash, and simple things like a Sorc healer maybe throwing Affliction on a boss). They need to devote their resources to healing. By the same token, a DPS player should *never* be throwing heals unless it's a serious emergency and they need to heal themselves while the healers focus on the tanks.

• 2 weeks later...

The closest thing to what you are looking for is a Pyro with 9 points in Bodyguard.

Take Pyro to the top level, only using 31 points. In the bodyguard tree take the talents from the bottom 2 tiers that decrease heal casting time, and increase heal percentage.

This is actually a viable spec for unrated warzones. You can still dish out 90% as much damage as a full DPS Pyro build. The only difference is that you lack a couple Power Shot talents so you won't be using it as much, if at all. (Normally you would take talents to decrease Power Shot channel time as well as pushback, but you took these for heals instead.)

The healing you have will be great as off-heals. You will even be able to heal through damage against only 1 moderately geared player. Any more than 1 person on you and the heals are useless.

But the true healing value is when you are left alone. Your Rapid Scan will heal for just as much as a Full Bodyguard's heal, and will channel just as fast. So you can play as a DPS, but sometimes you can step back and be a very strong healer.

The closest thing to what you are looking for is a Pyro with 9 points in Bodyguard.

Take Pyro to the top level, only using 31 points. In the bodyguard tree take the talents from the bottom 2 tiers that decrease heal casting time, and increase heal percentage.

This is actually a viable spec for unrated warzones. You can still dish out 90% as much damage as a full DPS Pyro build. The only difference is that you lack a couple Power Shot talents so you won't be using it as much, if at all. (Normally you would take talents to decrease Power Shot channel time as well as pushback, but you took these for heals instead.)

The healing you have will be great as off-heals. You will even be able to heal through damage against only 1 moderately geared player. Any more than 1 person on you and the heals are useless.

But the true healing value is when you are left alone. Your Rapid Scan will heal for just as much as a Full Bodyguard's heal, and will channel just as fast. So you can play as a DPS, but sometimes you can step back and be a very strong healer.

Can you post your build? I am new to merc and this sounds interesting. I have only done a few flashpoints and have found the need to self heal a few times.

Here is an example build of what I described:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#300bcMZ0MZcGMrzGGMs.2

Strengths:

-Full Pyro tree abilities including top ability Thermal Detonator

-Viable off-heals (reduced Pushback so you will be able to heal somewhat while taking fire)

Weakness:

-Sacrifices 3% Aim increase due to loss of skill boxes

-Sacrifices Power Shot abilities (Power Shot is only used in extended fights when you are not being focused)

This build has the skill box that reduces pushback for heals. This is important when trying to heal or offheal in a flashpoint. And also there are a few skills that are swappable based on personal preference, such as having a better Vent Heat, or more Crit Chance from the 1st tier of bodyguard skills. (Also, this build is tailored for PvP and so there may be a couple boxes in the Pyro tree that can be swapped around as well. Such as Energy Rebounder and Degauss)

-----

Here is a similar build, the one I use for PvP. It doesn't have the reduced pushback for heals, but it does have the reduced casting time for heals. The difference in this build and the one above is that this one will put out slightly more DPS because you can use Power Shots more (because you take those skills instead of more bodyguard skills.)

The disadvantage of this build is that if someone is attacking you while you try to heal, you get bad Pushback which slows down your heals and can make them un-useable. (But when left alone, you heal like a champ.)

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#300dZMckZcGMrzGGMs.2

---

Like I said before, both of these builds have several skill boxes that can be swapped around. This build is not as picky as other classes such as Assassin who have very specific Tank/DPS hybrid builds. These builds should be altered based on your play style. Definitely remove Degauss and probably Energy Rebounder if you dont PvP.

I queue every day as a Healer role in the group finder, in the 2nd listed full Pyro build with only a decreased healing time for my heals. Most groups never even figure out that I'm not a healer. However I wouldn't recommend this until your gear is very solid. I have full Black Hole, but the success depends on the group. Bad group, bad results. Good group, and no one even knows I have been throwing thermal detonators the whole FP.....

Edited by DarthBloodloss

Here is an example build of what I described:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#300bZMckzZcGMrzGGMs.2

Strengths:

-Full Pyro tree abilities including top ability Thermal Detonator

-Viable off-heals (reduced Pushback so you will be able to heal somewhat while taking fire)

Weakness:

-Sacrifices 6% Aim increase due to loss of skill boxes

-Sacrifices Power Shot abilities (Power Shot is only used in extended fights when you are not being focused)

This build has the skill box that reduces pushback for heals. This is important when trying to heal or offheal in a flashpoint. And also there are a few skills that are swappable based on personal preference, such as having a better Vent Heat, or more Crit Chance from the 1st tier of bodyguard skills. (Also, this build is tailored for PvP and so there may be a couple boxes in the Pyro tree that can be swapped around as well. Such as Energy Rebounder and Degauss)

-----

Here is a similar build, the one I use for PvP. It doesn't have the reduced pushback for heals, but it does have the reduced casting time for heals. The difference in this build and the one above is that this one will put out slightly more DPS because you can use Power Shots more (because you take those skills instead of more bodyguard skills.)

The disadvantage of this build is that if someone is attacking you while you try to heal, you get bad Pushback which slows down your heals and can make them un-useable. (But when left alone, you heal like a champ.)

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#300dZMckZcGMrzGGMs.2

---

Like I said before, both of these builds have several skill boxes that can be swapped around. This build is not as picky as other classes such as Assassin who have very specific Tank/DPS hybrid builds. These builds should be altered based on your play style. Definitely remove Degauss and probably Energy Rebounder if you dont PvP.

I queue every day as a Healer role in the group finder, in the 2nd listed full Pyro build with only a decreased healing time for my heals. Most groups never even figure out that I'm not a healer. However I wouldn't recommend this until your gear is very solid. I have full Black Hole, but the success depends on the group. Bad group, bad results. Good group, and no one even knows I have been throwing thermal detonators the whole FP.....

Thanks, this is a big help. I have found in early FP and with PUGs it helps a DPS to heal yourself or even heal the healer when he gets attacked. I used the basic medical scan (rapid scan I think) and it worked, but the cast time was a killer and i needed to move out of site of the boss. Again, I know well organized groups don't need this, but I play with a friend or 2 in PUGS and the healer is usually concentrating on the tank or dead from aggro.

Also, what do you think of the Werdan spec? I read it is not viable in PVP, but what about for FP and PVE? I read Arsenal is not good because of the casting times, but I only see 1 or 2 more abilities in arsenal that require a cast time. I find in PVE, mobility is pretty needed as well so that was my draw to Pyrotech.

^ I think you linked to the wrong specs, the first one is 2/8/31, and the second is 3/7/31.

Yes, I know the question was about hybrids. But IMO (and many other people's), there are no really valid hybrid DPS-Healers for Mercs. Of course, you can easily make a functional Hybrid with either some of Arsenal or some of Pyro, but the end result will be semi-decent DPS and fairly poor healing.

Here are the main abilities that a full healer Merc gets, that a non-full-heal Merc wont have:

-Top level ability - Instant Free Heal

-AoE mini heal - kolto missile

-Shielding that makes you un-interruptable

So if you are a hybrid, it rules out the top level ability. The only two good healer abilities left are not good enough to sacrifice so much DPS for. You either go full heal, or full DPS with a few healer boxes and call it a day.

And so my builds were just an example of how to be a full DPS, but play like a hybrid. The key is to get your healing just good enough that its great for off heals, and this is very easy to do without gimping yourself.

Thanks, this is a big help. I have found in early FP and with PUGs it helps a DPS to heal yourself or even heal the healer when he gets attacked. I used the basic medical scan (rapid scan I think) and it worked, but the cast time was a killer and i needed to move out of site of the boss. Again, I know well organized groups don't need this, but I play with a friend or 2 in PUGS and the healer is usually concentrating on the tank or dead from aggro.

Also, what do you think of the Werdan spec? I read it is not viable in PVP, but what about for FP and PVE? I read Arsenal is not good because of the casting times, but I only see 1 or 2 more abilities in arsenal that require a cast time. I find in PVE, mobility is pretty needed as well so that was my draw to Pyrotech.

I'll go read the Werdan spec real quick and I'll edit my opinion in right here ->

And you have the correct idea for FP and things like that. Its great when a DPS can spot heal. Sometimes I just switch to healing and keep the tank alive, or even the healer. Most of the time people don't even realize who is healing but it doesn't really even matter. Rapid Scan (bigger heal) and Healing Scan (faster heal) are also 2 of the main heals used by a Merc healer, so you know they are viable.

So my recommendation would be something similar to the second build I posted. Mainly DPS, with only the decreased casting time for heals. If you find that its still difficult to heal due to enemies attacking and causing pushback, then maybe something similar to the first build would be better because it can deal with the pushback due to the skill boxes taken.

Oh and a random tip for off-healing as a Merc in a flashpoitnt:

If you find yourself overheated and don't have a vent heat ready, and the fight is very close or intense......switch to Combat Support Cylinder and use free heals until your heat bar is completely empty. Then switch back to Pyro or Arsenal cylinder and continue to DPS.

Edited by DarthBloodloss

Yes, I know the question was about hybrids. But IMO (and many other people's), there are no really valid hybrid DPS-Healers for Mercs. Of course, you can easily make a functional Hybrid with either some of Arsenal or some of Pyro, but the end result will be semi-decent DPS and fairly poor healing.

Did you actually even bother check your own specs before you made this reply, or even read what I actually wrote?

Your first spec is 2/8/31, and the second is 3/7/31.

Yeah, a hybrid where you go less than 31 points into one tree and then the rest in others is not good at the moment, however what you wrote in your post absolutely does not correspond with the builds you linked to.

The only difference between the two builds that you linked to is that in the first build you have one point in Custom Enviro Suit, and in the second build you have moved that one point to Improved Vents.

In the text for the first spec, you write that you've got reduced pushback for healing abilities, but in the actual spec you link to you don't have it. 2/8/31 means that you've only got two points in Bodyguard, in your case in Med Tech.

Edited by Rassuro

Yes I read what you wrote wrong. All you had to say was "its the same build twice"

Edited in a build 7/2/31 in the original post / original link

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#300bcMZ0MZcGMrzGGMs.2

Only points in Arsenal tree are 2 for 6% Aim, not enough spare points for the 3rd point in that box. There are 7 points in the Bodyguard tree to get the reduced pushback if you feel its needed. If you find yourself only healing when not being attacked, or only lightly attacked, its better to drop almost all of the bodyguard boxes and switch them to Power Shot talents in Arsenal. (Only keeping 2 points in bodyguard for reduced heal cast time)

Edited by DarthBloodloss