Force of Wills: The Ties that Bind

Earthmama

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Short little shortness setting up the next chapter.

Drummond Kaas

Lord Kaervrek looked over his shoulder and gripped his lightsaber, he was being followed. One by one his agents were falling. He took another turn inside the depths of the citadel, his red knuckles were white in his grip. He rounded another corner, then another, he went through a list of his rivals, he had crushed them all eons ago, any new upstarts hoping to take over Intelligence did not have the power to challenge him. Still he was running from a hidden assailant, his heart was beating out of his chest, he was gripped by fear. Lord Kaervrek had not felt fear in decades, he caused fear. So why was this particular emotion dogging him, he finally stopped running in a small alcove and waited to face what chased him. The halls were deathly quiet, the footsteps he thought he heard had been silenced. Still his cooling sweat chilled him, his breathing too loud, the hum of his lightsaber filling the void casting a red glow against the walls.

“Lord Kaervrek, our master requests your presence.” The slim robed pureblood spoke.

Kaervrek spun around, behind him stood two nearly identical small robed Sith. The fear wormed its way back into his spine.

“The father will be reborn.” The second spoke cryptically.

“Who are you?” Kaervreks voice felt distant, as if disembodied.

“Honored servants of the Emperor, our Lord has great plans for you.” The first spoke again before the two small men lifted their arms in unison. Together they manipulated the fear that the Emperor had planted in Kaervrek. His agents had not fallen by the hand of an unknown rival, but by his own hands, memories of his actions swept into his mind as he systematically destroyed his power base.

“What? What have you done?” Kaervrek blanched.

“We have done nothing, you have done the will of the Emperor. You are to be honored for your deeds.”

“The master binds father, binds daughter.” The second cackled manically.

Lightning cracked in the small space, Lord Kaervrek fell, the steps that had been following started their rhythmic pace again, a moment later two honor guard appeared and placed his unconscious body on the gurney.

You're really cruel... I'm mainly interested in the sithy parts of the story (of course I do also read the other parts), and they tend to be shorter^^ And you killed my favourite charakter. Well, allright, I do not believe in Ardyth's final death yet, but she's been away some time now.

Fury Class Starship

Rateah leaned forward on the holo terminal, Marek sat down in one of the chairs behind her. Neither spoke, the paranoid and nonsensical message from Lord Kaervrek echoing in the space between them. The ship sat hidden in a Dark Nebula. Just beyond was a large space station, they had seen both Imperial and Republic ships dock, it was where they had followed Oriah. They had literally stumbled into it, even now it didn’t show up on their sensors, but there it was slowly rotating in space. They had seen the heavy turrets, Teah had no doubt this was the answer to her Masters long search, this was the power center of the Star Cabal, but now he was calling them back to Drummund Kaas. It was just as well, as they were there was no way of infiltrating the space station.

“My mother should know of this development.” Marek said quietly.

“I thought of that, there haven’t been any replies from either her or Captain Pierce’s frequencies.” Rateah’s hands turned to fists. She didn’t mention that the Dark Council was also looking for the Wrath, her absence was palpable. She finally turned towards Marek, his face was scowling, he absently rubbed his facial ridges.

“My grandfather has lost his wits, my sister is safely buried in that floating fortress, and my mother is missing. If that message is true, it means that the Eldrazzi power base is crumbling, if anyone is going to over throw my grandfather it will be me.” Marek stood up, his ambition shining through his eyes.

“I agree, but first we need to figure our way through this labyrinth. I’ll set a course for Drummond Kaas.” Rateah felt her own pull, was it possible to both love and hate a man? Kaervrek had been her teacher, her mentor, her master, had always been so strong. His wild eyes, his obvious fear and paranoia had been so unlike him, his desperate voice had filled her with disgust and the part of her, the wild part, the part he had never been able to tame and mold to his will, smiled wickedly at the prospect of revenge.

Marek followed her to the bridge, he remained quiet and simply watched her small form as she flew the ship and keyed up the hyperspace lane that would bring them back to Imperial space. Once the stars were streaking before them she turned her pale grey eyes on him, her bruises had healed quickly with the help of kolto, she was beautiful again.

“What is it Marek?” She asked him wearily.

Ever since that moment in the medbay, he had given her a wide berth. They had spoken of nothing but the mission and left the other in relative peace. He had spent his nights thinking on her words, thinking of how he could earn the right to touch her. He had come to the hard realization that she was more than his equal, she had a blinding and brilliant intelligence, her manipulation of the Force far exceeded his own abilities. She did not let her emotions rule her, only fuel her and for the first time since he had met her, collard and angry in his grandfather’s library, he saw her, not as a prize, but as a Sith.

“My arrogance has been a weakness.” I don’t want to be alone right now. “I have underestimated you, and overestimated myself.” I’m sorry.

Teah raised an eyebrow at her impetuous and arrogant charge. She didn’t sense the air choking lust or desire he usually exuded. She got up from the chair and stood in front of him, arms crossed in front of her, hip cocked to one side, so the Akk pup could learn.

“That almost sounded like an apology.” She saw his Adams apple bob and his hands clench and unclench.

“Don’t make the same mistake twice and we may yet unravel this web we seem to be caught in.” She held his golden gaze, “Come Marek, let’s see if we can focus that power of yours.”

She walked passed him to the cargo bay, shrugging off her upper robe as she went, picking up a vibrostaff and throwing twin training sabers to Marek.

“If you hope to take on a Lord or your grandfather, your dueling must improve, mind your surroundings work with more than just rage.” She swept aside her skirt, she winked at Marek who was gripping his sabers so tightly his knuckles were white. She was in revealing leathers, she felt his eyes roam briefly before they found their way back to her face. She smiled darkly, control wasn’t something Marek had practiced often.

“Use it, use the lust, the desire, use it against your enemies, use it to make you strong, because you are strong Marek.” Teah spun the staff in her hands and went on the attack, she knew what motivated him, it was the same emotions that drove his grandfather. Kaervrek had well known appetites, he was a lecherous man, but he used it all to his advantage, his lusts and desires, when channeled through the force, are what made him the overwhelming power that he was. Marek was no different. Just as Kaervrek had sharpened her into the weapon she was, she would temper and mold Marek to be hers.

@Ayanka, There's more, I promise, there's going to be much more Sithy goodness coming soon especially in Part 3 (there's an outline already) Part 2 is almost done, the conclusion is right around the corner......(in theory)

Edited by Earthmama

Star Chamber Space Station

Oriah blinked, her head still heavy from the sedative, she wakes to discover her body is restrained and lying flat on a table. She blinks hard a few more times, desperately trying to clear her head, when her eyes finally focus she finds herself staring at a dimly lit kolto tank. Inside the tank floats a tiny human, a fetus, she twitches in the water no mask on her face, not kolto, something else then. Two more tanks with the same contents. Someone was growing people.

“Excellent you’re up! Very prompt, I do appreciate punctuality in my assistants.” Dr. Lokin spoke just out of view. His familiar cheerful voice filling her stomach with dread.

“What...is this?” Her tongue feels thick, fuzzy, her mouth numb.

“These are the next generation of Hunters! Remarkable beings, this crop is four weeks along, but thanks to accelerated growth they are gestationally six months old. Only lost one this time, I think these three might make it to full maturity.” He proclaims proudly, finally entering her field of view, he smiles genially at her, as if sedating and restraining colleagues was common practice.

“Why?” Damn her mouth, and damn the sedatives, why was he doing this how many crops of humans had been grown? Why was she tied down?

“I’m terribly sorry Oriah, I think I may have misjudged your dose of sedative.” A look of concern crosses his face as he brings a new syringe towards her necks, her fingers twitch and her eyes widen and she feels the familiar pinch as her artery is punctured. “Relax, it’s just a stimulant, to help clear the cobwebs.” He gives her arms a comforting pat, but his touch makes her skin crawl.

A moment later the fog that had surrounded her lifted, her mind sharp, her tongue was back to its regular size and her lips felt like her own again. Her lips, she bit them, how long had she been here, was Aaron waiting for her?

“Why am I restrained?” She asks as soon as she is able.

“Ah yes, that, pity really. My work here hasn’t been sanctioned by our dear Shiloh, she doesn’t agree with the Hunter initiative. It’s naïve and foolish of her to rely solely on the loyalty of those around her, take me for example!” He pats his chest. “I am entirely untrustworthy, control, manipulation, bribery even, she refuses to use the necessary tools to ensure her position and success. She may not approve of my project, but it is for the survival and prosperity of the Cabal. Powerful, pliable and absolutely loyal soldiers to her cause, Hunters are remarkable creatures.” He was staring into one of the converted kolto tanks.

“You didn’t answer my question Doctor.” Oriah asked, though she was becoming frightened of the possible answer.

“Dear me, rambling on, I do apologize. I have injected you with what is called Castellan restraints, it rewires certain cranial subroutines, that when used with a code word, will compel you to obey. I had the opportunity to observe Castellan restrains some years ago on Shiloh herself, highly effective, however she refuses to let go of her personal emotions and thinks using this tool is deplorable. She’ll get nowhere if she is constantly ruled by her feelings and isn’t practical about the tools at her disposal.” He shook his head, a look of genuine concern on his wizened and white whiskered face. “Look at me rambling again, forgive an old man.” He gave her a warm smile.

“Now! Oriah, keyword: Omnis. Thesh protocol, phase one.”

“Thesh protocol engaged, key word Omnis accepted, shutting down.” Oriah felt the words leave her mouth, followed by the world around her going dark once again.

“Excellent, excellent, wake up dear girl.” Lokin was standing above her again, only this time her restraints had been removed, she sat up, her body stiff, her mind swimming, a voice inside her head screaming for her to run as far away as she could.

“How may I assist you Doctor?” What have you done? She had run from her mother to escape being controlled, to escape being a pawn, yet here she was, she wanted to scream and to cry.

“Just a few tests, reach your hands over your head.” Lokin instructed, all the while a smile on his face, a smile that never reached his eyes, he was studying her, assessing her. She was just another experiment. Oriah’s body obeyed each instruction. “Perfect, revert to phase zero, you may speak.”

“Why?” It was the first word that she had spoken that was her own, there was anguish in her voice as tears *****led behind her eyelids.

“Shh, there’s no need to be hysterical, as I have already mentioned, my work is secret, I do however need an assistant, I’m not as spry as I once was, you are brilliant in your own right, a perfect candidate to learn and carry on my legacies. Using the restraints, allows me to have an assistant without fear of reprisals. Don’t be afraid, my instructions won’t be unreasonable, your programming will only take effect if you attempt to discuss my work or your control mechanisms while outside of this lab. My other instruction for you is, key word: Omnis, You will arrive to the lab promptly at 0800 every morning, you may leave at 1800 every evening, unless I instruct you otherwise. See painless!” He clapped her affectionately on the back.

“Now, I’ve kept you long enough, off you go now, I’ll see you in the morning. I truly look forward to working alongside you Oriah!” Lokin gave her one last genial smile then indicated to the door. Oriah fled the room, she could hear Lokin chuckling behind her.

• 3 weeks later...

*Wanders through to check for updates. Glances around and lets out a sad sigh, as her bottom lip begins to tremble.*

Earthmama, I'm dying to know what happens next!

*Tries to wait patiently for Earthmama to come back to the thread*

*Wanders through to check for updates. Glances around and lets out a sad sigh, as her bottom lip begins to tremble.*

Earthmama, I'm dying to know what happens next!

*Tries to wait patiently for Earthmama to come back to the thread*

Ditto in full. :p

It's coming, it's coming I promise, my obsessive little brain is attacking something else atm, aka wedding planning, me and hubs (who is technically my fiance, but after 2 kids and a house he's earned hubs in my books) have set a date and my brain is all pretty white dresses, invitations, cake and flowers. I need to back off the uber girly stuff and re-submerge myself into the right head space to continue writing.

Please continue to be patient and forgive this absence of mine! xoxo

I've been alternatively grinning like an idiot, crying, and staring at the screen intently. Not done yet. Reactions thus far:

Vector!! He was gone so fast at the end of FoW that I didn't really process...<whimper> Vector :(

I am intrigued with what you've done with Pierce. I am typically a major Pierce fan and there are still things I like about this one, but I'm leaning towards hate. Will depend on how he handles Ardyth going forward.

Shiloh and Quinn in Shadowtown is magnificent. They're both so complicated, and their interactions...mwah!

LOVE little Aaron and Cohen. LOVE Mitka. Squish!!

Oh dear goodness, Ava and Teah. Not good. So not good.

And Aaron goes and makes me cry. Big brothers leaving :(

Jorgan :D That is all.

I loved the piece with Mitka and Jorgan in the short story thread. Still love it. And love love love this line (loved it in GWTW too hehe):

“You are the kind of women who should be kissed, often, by a man who knows how.”
Lordy! *fans self*

Awwww...poor Kianna :( And totally agree with Kabeone:

and I hate Kira... a little... but ya take Doc, really she can have him.
:D

Awww...Shiloh and Quinn :( They made a little life for themselves and then it all gets torn away again. I hate Sith *pout*

I love what you've done to Quinn (in terms of character growth). Love it.

"Bad Queen!"
Bwahahahahaha!

Mitka + Aric = <3 <3 <3 Also, I hadn't really thought about her Quinn military heritage till she read Quinn's letter. Very appropriate way to go.

Your Pierce is really interesting. Ardyth's creature, as Oriah names him, but a bit more. And I LOVE the imagery with the lily in the rain - gorgeous stuff there.

SCORPIO reactivating o.o

Kianna and Scourge. Well, I don't think I have to tell anyone how much I love Scourge hehehe.

First, I love Ava and Torian. He's exactly what she needs. Second, this:

“Honestly, we have a Jawa on board, keep it in the bedroom.”
was hysterical!

That picture of Quinn and baby Mitka in the vault - totally teared up. Also, <3 Aric because, well, Aric.

HATE. Ardyth. LOVE. Ava. Love that she knocked that Sith b**ch on her a**. Love it.

Ainsley's sister was Hunter?????? Dude.

Scourge <3 Also, that fight with the big beastie was pretty epic :D

#120 - reading paused...will continue as soon as possible!!

More commenting (120-171):

Doc Lokin O.O <whispers> oh dear. Also, what you did to Jaesa was brilliant. I've never seen this particular treatment of that character and wow.

Doc Lokin's Ainsley's FATHER??????????????? OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! And what the heck is this???

he wondered who she had been before his daughter had killed her.

Aric and Mitka make me all kinds of happy. Gault bemoaning his lack of sex life? Hsyterical!

Scourge coming back to the land of the living. Love love love love love.

Lots of tears. Lots. Aw Shiloh, Mal. You guys never get a break do you? He saw his girls together though, and he died a good man. Shoot, I just dried a batch of tears.

The death count made me chuckle. I will say this though: the characters you've killed off have made sense (well, I still don't understand Lokin's motivations entirely, but that's hardly surprising - it's Lokin.) Their deaths haven't felt like a cheap plot trick to wring some emotions out of your readers. So, yes, sad in some cases (yay! in some cases) but definitely made the story stronger.

Skadge dead makes me happy happy happy. The rest of it has me nervous, but THAT part - yes happy :D

Aaron Riggs is hot. Just sayin.

Kabeone's Team Aaron pic!!! Omg the cuteness!!!!

Torian and Aric in a scowling contest! Priceless. Ava deciding to be on the right side of things? Awesome! Blizz trying to pet Jorgan? Fricking hilarious!!!

YAY Hoyden!! I can't tell you how thirlled I am that you've finally been able to read this! I've been waiting to see what you had to say about it all! So so happy you're enjoying it!

Also, because I'm pretty sure it's been over a month.......(Thank you all again for being patient and understanding)

Edit: ok, so it's been less then a month, but it's sure felt like longer then it has been.

Sh*t's about to get real

Drummond Kaas

Cohen wasn’t sure why he was here, that was a lie, he knew why, he still wasn’t sure how he had been convinced. He looked over to the woman at his side, slight, with short black hair, cybernetics and a smile that could melt Hoth. He had been keeping his distance. Mako was her name, she was the bounty hunters. Things had started moving quickly when Avacynne and her crew had arrived on the space station. They added energy, dangerous and electric, to the assembled mess of people. Mitka was not a fan, which meant Aaron wasn’t a fan, so of course Cohen had been intrigued from the start.

Only three days later Shiloh had returned with news, the Emperor’s wrath was dead, Avacynne had been ready to walk. There was no money to be made, on both her old contract and now her new plans, she eyed each person assembled, assessing potential bounties, and Cohen guessed, her odds of survival. Then Shiloh had mentioned the Emperor, the Emperor’s guard, and a number that had silenced any doubt. They need only wait for a call from Shiloh’s Jedi sister.

While they waited Cohen had been guilted and coerced, by mother, father and sister. His honor appealed to, he was given a number, though it had been smaller than Avacynne’s.

“Cohen can you cut the secondary code, these Imps have redundant firewalls, I’m still working on the first, but their tracking systems are fast.” Mako jerked him out of his thoughts and he was brought back to the screen in front of him, and the keypad beneath his fingers.

Mako was a slicer, but even more than that, her programs and viruses were art to him. His own fingers started working as he saw doorways and walls of code, he had always prided himself on his finesse, on how clean his own slicing was, but Mako made him feel like an amateur. He spotted the backups and redundancies being activated, and with stolen codes he locked them down. Whatever signals or warnings were being sent from the Dark Temple were being blocked, and any runners who came to the city to call for reinforcements would be flying into two trigger happy Mandalorians, and three bloodthirsty Republic Troopers.

“Get to another terminal, you have incoming.” A voice rang in his ear piece, Gault.

With deft fingers Mako had covered their tracks and she fell instep beside him as they each did their best to not shiver against the driving rain. Cohen’s borrowed uniform felt tight around his neck, but then, no one would think twice about two officers walking the Drummond Kaas streets in the rain.

“Anyone ever tell you that you look good in that uniform?” Mako looked sidelong at him with a wink.

“No, first time wearing it.” Cohen failed to suppress a smile and tried his best to avoid those pretty green eyes. He didn’t want to encourage anything, but she was making it hard. Memories of Oriah’s angry face, and the sting of her hand on his face were still fresh in his memory, that and the fact that Aaron still glared at him kept his flirting in check, even if Mako was the one who started it.

“Well it’s a good look for you, sir.” There was that smile again, Cohen bit his tongue, banishing all kinds of inappropriate retorts.

“Thanks.”

“You two are clear, but keep to the alleys, looks like they’ve started figuring something out, and they’re rounding up all the guns, and people who can use them and are sending them towards Ava.” Gault warned them.

They made for the shadows and rounded a corner following their map to the next terminal. Communications would be back up soon, and they needed to keep them down. When they reached the terminal pair of uniforms were waiting for them. A stern and frustrated Imperial turned towards them.

“I called for technicians, please tell me you can fix this mess. Comms are down and I can’t make heads or tails out of this code.” He saw them but didn’t look.

“Yes sir, if you’ll allow me to take a look.” Cohen replied with a fairly decent Imperial accent. He heard Mako exhale. He went to the terminal, Mako followed. “Simple solution sir. I’ll have this fixed up in no time.” He heard a quiet piercing noise, then a grunt and a thud.

“Witherspear!” The other officer cried out as his colleague fell to the ground with a blaster bolt in the back.

“There’s a sniper!” When he stood up he came face to barrel with Cohen’s blaster.

“I am aware, sir.” Cohen pulled the trigger. The second Imperial fell, dead instantly. He felt his stomach lurch, Mako was giving him an unreadable look. He had never killed someone point blank and he could honestly say he didn’t want to make it a habit.

“Thanks Gault.” Mako spoke into her comm. “Nice accent.” She said to Cohen, though her eyes had become hard, there was no wink or smile this time, as if the risk of their task had suddenly become very real.

Cohen didn’t reply at all this time, the two slicers got to work. He wondered how Mitka and Aaron were faring, he wondered how the Jedi was doing, if she would be able to actually take out the Emperor. He shook his head as his fingers flew across the keypad, his mind seeing doors and secret passages in the computer code.

Edited by Earthmama

Woot! Caught up!

Reactions:

Shiloh's got some big ideas for the cabal - I like it! Will be interesting to see if she can carry it through. Also intrigued with Phi-ton's addition.

I feel bad for Pierce, but at the same time, kinda like...duh man, did you really expect to get attached to THAT one and have a happy ending?

Marek - that boy is MESSED UP. (Natural considering the family, but lordy.) Teah has been twisty twisted, but every once in awhile I'm reminded that she started this story on Tython pulling pranks with her best friend. Interesting character.

Scourge relearning himself...mmmmm...good stuff!

Ok, so this description of Aric:

he was in his armor, leaning with his arms crossed, watching her with those eyes, hint of a smile on his lips
is PERFECTION!! <3

The bh crew blaming Gault automatically? Funny as heck! And of course Corso and Aric would bond over weapons, silly men.

Lokin is so damn scary!

Phi-ton - very sad and sweet. I'm finding myself commenting almost every post because they're building into something exceptionally good.

The Brothers Riggs - I read this one with a constant stream of "oh dear" "oh this isn't going to be good" "oh, crap" "ouch" "oh jeez" and THEN "Sweet heavens yes!! Go Oriah!!" immediately followed by "aw, man, poor Cohen (but he still deserved that slap)" It was like I was watching a boxing match!

End of this post...O.O Go Scourge! Go!

like one of the ancient Sith, he was fearsome.
<3 <3 <3

Aw, Pierce, but yeah, you deserve it for killing Vector. But, Earthmama, the WAY you put that together - wow. I'm impressed. It was done by the right person, for the right reasons, in the right way, but also, it was right for him. So impressed. (Also, I so don't believe Ardyth is dead, :D)

Kabe's little animation - I laugh hysterically while writing this because I. Can't. Stop. There are a ton of funny things on these forums. I regularly bust a gut laughing outloud. This. Omg, I think this is the best thing I've seen. Ever.

The outline is pretty funny all on it's own. Loved the "Dun dun duuuuun" for Lokin.

Omg, Cohen, oh you poor poor boy. Omg. Genetics can be a real b**ch.

<Intermission while I go catch up on the Earthmama crew in the Short Story thread. I've been reading them roughly in the order that they were posted in conjunction with this thread. And THANK GOODNESS for Bright's index!!!!>

Aaaand back...with more love for Aaron. He's such a sweetheart :)

Aw, Aaron and Oriah cuteness. Happy happy happy...WHAT?!?!

Kianna and Scourge...hawtness

Eeeeks! Servants 1 & 2!

Oh lord, Oriah. Lokin has gone too far. He needs to die. NOW :mad: (Really, it would solve so many problems.)

Congrats on your engagement!

Mako and Cohen...I like :)

This has been an incredible ride so far. The plot twists and turns, the depths of character, all of it. Excellent excellent.

So now I join the rest of the group hanging on the edge of my seat, waiting as patiently as possible (I'm trying, I really am!) for the next installment. :D