Light-saber forms

fegege

I am not to familiar with the history behind the 7 lightsaber forms, but I do feel as though the current in game forms (soresu, shii-cho, ataru, juyo, and shiien) could be expanded upon adding a few more forms to the mix. even if it is a simple cosmetic change i would very much like to see makashi and niman thrown in the mix. although i would like to see a few new specialization choices within the force using classes.

Shii-cho (form 1): created using the traits of traditional vibroblade combat, focuses on destroying the enemy's weapon/incapacitating them by cutting limbs, also defensive utilities, Padawans and Acolytes learn this form as basic, but noone uses it as full Jedi, really; you can see Ezra use this form in Rebels

Makashi (form 2): created during the Force Wars when the members of the Jee'dai Order fought each other (light sided jedi won, dark jedi exiled), focuses on dueling other lightsaber-wielders, since duels were everyday activity back then, focuses on very few strikes, but those are placed absolute perfectly, they always know when and where to strike (resulting in many Makashi user to be self-confident and mocking enemy); Count Dooku, Assaj Ventress used this form

Soresu (form 3): after dark jedi were exiled and jedi had noone to duel, they focused on deflecting blaster, rifle bolts, and soresu was born, focuses on deflecting every attack, saber is very close to the wielder's body the whole time, almost like a 2nd skin, a true soresu master was believed to be immortal; (forgot-his-name-from-Rebels-series-jedi and) Obi Wan Kenobi used this form (switched from Ataru for this, because his master died using ataru against Maul)

Ataru (form 4): many jedi didnt like soresu being all-defense, no-offense, and they created 2 offensive forms, ataru focuses on letting the Force flow through the wielder, enabling him/her to be faster than his physical body would be able to/could survive, and during this fast paced combat, focuses on precise, well timed attacks, many of them, a true ataru master is just a blur for a normal person; Yoda and Qui-gon Jinn used this form (Yoda himself perfected all 7 forms, but ataru was his favourite, compensating for his physical disadvantage)

Shien/Djem-so (form 5): created at the same time and for the same purpose as ataru, focuses on reflecting the enemy attacks (unlike soresu, they actually want to hit the attacker with the bolt), typical form 5 attack is when blaster shoots jedi, jedi reflects, and by the time the bolt arrives back to shooter, the jedi leapt there also, very aggressive form, turns enemy strength/fire back at the attacker, many shien user also wields reverse lightsaber, shien focuses on blaster fire, djem-so focuses on lightsaber combat; Anakin Skywalker, Ahsoka Tano used this form

Niman (form 6): mixture of all 5 previous forms, balancing between their strengths and weaknesses, this one i dont know well; you can see the absence of this form in the movies, since all niman users died in the First Geonosian Battle in the arena

Juyo (form 7): pure offensive form, focuses on obliterating the enemy as fast as possible, basically ignoring any self-defense (ofc they defend themselves but really thats not their main focus), focuses on overcharging the saber with the Force, empowering its damage, crushing the enemy with powerful and acrobatic attacks, Darth Maul used this form

Acrobatic forms: Ataru, Shien/Djem-so, Juyo

Stationary forms: Shii-cho, Makashi, Soresu, Niman (acrobatic/stationary is relative ofc)

Also using Jar'Kai (dual wielding, like sent/mara) or saberstaff has some effect on the form, but basic traits remain the same

Anyone can learn any saber form, but only Force-sensitives can master them, also usually every jedi masters 1-2 forms, while Master Yoda mastered all 7 of them

Watching the movies its kinda hard to decide who uses which form, but watching animated series (Clone Wars and Rebels) the traits are much easier to see and you can actually see the uniqueness of the forms

Also I dont know what Sidious used from the main movieline, while Luke didnt use any known form, since the 7 forms were long forgotten, and Yoda didnt have time to teach him those, probably learned Shii-cho though, but he only learned the 7 forms later from holocrons

Edited by jauvtus

+1 form: Vaapad (some say form 7 variation, some say form 8): created by Mace Windu and another master, this is a jedi restricted form, since it focuses on letting the darkness and hatred of your opponent into you, then channeling it back on him/her (jedi forms prevent the jedi from the dark side, while this form welcomes it, only to channel it back at the attacked and let his/her own rage destroy him/her), also it focuses heavily on enjoying the fight (yes, enjoying), this form was used only by Windu, the other master and his padawan, but Windu was the last one; because of this unique form was Windu able to survive Sidious' Force Lightning and even defeating him (but Anakin intervened as we know...)

It would be interesting to see Makashi and Niman implemented in the game. For example, Shaak Ti is a sage, using the Force primarily from range, so it makes sense when she must engage in duel, she uses the best dueling form, so sages/sorcs receiving this form would make sense (maybe as a defensive passive against melee attacks, but visible buff icon like for Knights/Warriors). I could see Niman replacing Shii-cho for the after level 10 part of the game, Shii-cho only being used on starting planets (then made available for consulars/inquisitors, too)

Vaapad would be awesome for jedi, but sadly it wont even be created for another ~4000 years...

Edited by jauvtus

I actually believe that a new spec would be nice too, i understand that it would be favoritism to give the force wielders a 4th spec but i feel it would make sense. makashi being a single saber defense tree focusing on the class core skills, instead of focusing on the force. you feel like a fencer, using the force lightning or push as a buffer to assist rather than a focus. while niman would be a near opposite, maybe a simple replace for shii-cho. but i feel makashi should be a more graceful form than the juggernaut or guardian soresu while the niman would be a more versatile shii-cho.

+1 form: Vaapad (some say form 7 variation, some say form 8): created by Mace Windu and another master, this is a jedi restricted form, since it focuses on letting the darkness and hatred of your opponent into you, then channeling it back on him/her (jedi forms prevent the jedi from the dark side, while this form welcomes it, only to channel it back at the attacked and let his/her own rage destroy him/her), also it focuses heavily on enjoying the fight (yes, enjoying), this form was used only by Windu, the other master and his padawan, but Windu was the last one; because of this unique form was Windu able to survive Sidious' Force Lightning and even defeating him (but Anakin intervened as we know...)

As far as I remember Windu was the only one who "stayed true" while using Vaapad, I think his Padawan turned dark during the clone wars in one of the novels and the only other person who even learned any of it was Quinlan Vos who was warned away from it as he walked the line too far already.

But on the whole Vaapad was a variant of form VII which was not used in the Jedi order at the time, it seemed to have "died off" years before and Windu believed the only think missing from form VII was "mental" and not physical, its not unlike form V Shien and Djem So both were considered to be form V but Shien was more about blaster combat, while Djem So was more lightsaber vs Lightsaber based.

Acrobatic forms: Ataru, Shien/Djem-so, Juyo

Djem So was notable for it's lack of mobility, so I don't think it's very acrobatic.

Also I dont know what Sidious used from the main movieline, while Luke didnt use any known form, since the 7 forms were long forgotten, and Yoda didnt have time to teach him those, probably learned Shii-cho though, but he only learned the 7 forms later from holocrons

Sidious (like Windu) also mastered all 7 forms, and used Juyo. Luke used Djem So and later on the Death Star he mirrored Vader's hybrid style that later became the Strong style.

As far as I remember Windu was the only one who "stayed true" while using Vaapad, I think his Padawan turned dark during the clone wars in one of the novels and the only other person who even learned any of it was Quinlan Vos who was warned away from it as he walked the line too far already.

Windu was the only master of Vaapad that didn't fell to the Dark Side, Depa Billaba and Sora Bulq did. And Vos didn't actually master Vaapad just used some of it's move sets.

But on the whole Vaapad was a variant of form VII which was not used in the Jedi order at the time, it seemed to have "died off" years before and Windu believed the only think missing from form VII was "mental" and not physical, its not unlike form V Shien and Djem So both were considered to be form V but Shien was more about blaster combat, while Djem So was more lightsaber vs Lightsaber based.

While true that Vaapad was more than just a lightsaber form, it also had it's own move sets apart from Juyo.

Djem So was notable for it's lack of mobility, so I don't think it's very acrobatic.

Yeah the main feature with Djem So was to "dominate" opponents and it did so pretty much through strength and power.

Windu was the only master of Vaapad that didn't fell to the Dark Side, Depa Billaba and Sora Bulq did. And Vos didn't actually master Vaapad just used some of it's move sets.

Yeah I know Vos did not master Vaapad, I was thinking of anybody who had even tried to learn any of it since it's such a minority style, I know that Vos got hit down as soon as they saw him trying any of if.

Edited by Jedi_riches

that is actually an interesting idea, not all light saber duelists were force sensitive. maybe like an update that gives everyone a duelist tree that works either with your abilities or modifies them if you are unable to already use sabers or swords. interesting idea, nonetheless i do see how it may sound a little selfish to ask more of the team, they've done a good job.

that is actually an interesting idea, not all light saber duelists were force sensitive. maybe like an update that gives everyone a duelist tree that works either with your abilities or modifies them if you are unable to already use sabers or swords. interesting idea, nonetheless i do see how it may sound a little selfish to ask more of the team, they've done a good job.

True but they should never have pigeon holed the customisation options from the start.

Letting everyone train themselves in lightsaber combat, that would be interesting :) BHs fighting like Pre Vizla for example

• 3 months later...
I actually believe that a new spec would be nice too, i understand that it would be favoritism to give the force wielders a 4th spec but i feel it would make sense. makashi being a single saber defense tree focusing on the class core skills, instead of focusing on the force. you feel like a fencer, using the force lightning or push as a buffer to assist rather than a focus. while niman would be a near opposite, maybe a simple replace for shii-cho. but i feel makashi should be a more graceful form than the juggernaut or guardian soresu while the niman would be a more versatile shii-cho.

I've been saying that for the longest! Make an inquisitor who's like Dooku. He can play like a duelist class, or monk. (because of the robes/light armor). Then have a warrior class that uses Niman. They can have like battle meditation and other buffs. And play like a cleric class (heavy armor buff)