How do I tell the rating of the gear I'm using for Flashpoints, etc.?

I was at the Fleet the other day and saw a terminal with missions that had a suggested gear rating of 145. How do I tell if the gear that I have equipped meets that recommendation/suggestion/what-have-you?

Go to your preferences, then user interface, and look for an item called "Show Detailed Item Tooltips"

Click this On.

Now, when you mouse over your gear, it will show you the rating next to the gear modifications. The most important number will be your main hand barrel or hilt (for a dps or healer), followed by your armorings, then your mods and enhancements.

Rating 140 gear can be purchased at the Makeb vendor for planetary commendations.

Rating 146 gear drops from Level 50 flashpoints and can be purchased with classic commendations.

Rating 150 gear drops from Level 50 operations.

Rating 156 gear is gotten from the Oricon planetary questline, and can be purchased with Basic Commendations.

Most of the above can be crafted, but most commonly sold on the GTN is the 156 gear.

Edited by Khevar

Go to your preferences, then user interface, and look for an item called "Show Detailed Item Tooltips"

Click this On.

Now, when you mouse over your gear, it will show you the rating next to the gear modifications. The most important number will be your main hand barrel or hilt, followed by your armorings, then your mods and enhancements.

Rating 140 gear can be purchased at the Makeb vendor for planetary commendations.

Rating 146 gear drops from Level 50 flashpoints and can be purchased with classic commendations.

Rating 150 gear drops from Level 50 operations.

Rating 156 gear is gotten from the Oricon planetary questline, and can be purchased with Basic Commendations.

Most of the above can be crafted, but most commonly sold on the GTN is the 156 gear.

Thanks for the information. I will do that.

Click this On.

Now, when you mouse over your gear, it will show you the rating next to the gear modifications.

Wrong, wrong and wrong!!!

That answer is completely wrong.

The "Show Detailed Item Tooltips" option has absolutely nothing what so ever to do with knowing the "rating" of your gear.

The numbers for rating (since 2.7 even the individual ratings of mods and enhancements etc.) are ALWAYS there visible, even if "Show Detailed Item Tooltips" is not turned on.

All that the "Show Detailed Item Tooltips" does is make the tooltips list all the stats of the armoring/barrel/hilt, the mod and the enhancement separately. Without it, the tooltips only show the total stats of a piece of gear, but the ratings of all of it's components are ALWAYS visible either way.

The correct answer to how to know the rating in your gear in all of its simplicity is like I already said:

Look at your gear and read the tooltips.

You don't need to do anything in the preferences for that.

Of course it will still be very useful to have the "Show Detailed Item Tooltips" turned on for other reasons.

One will need it to upgrade their gear in the best possible way once you start caring about best possible stats and not just the ratings.

The most important number will be your main hand barrel or hilt (for a dps or healer), followed by your armorings, then your mods and enhancements.

Main hand barrel/hilt being most important for dps is true but for healers the off hand is as good as main hand.

Apart from off hand items, there is no good reason to say armorings are ahead in the order of importance to mods.

Armorings do determine how much armor an item has while mod and enhancement only add stats, but if you have a dps or healer, then getting some insignificantly small increase in armor really does not really matter.

Now when it comes to stats that actually matter for dps, then mods add more than an armoring.

For example at rating 180

An armoring has effective stats of 105 main stat, so total effective stats 105.

A mod has effective stats of 82 main stat and 69 crit/power, so total effective stats 82+69=151.

151>105

(effective stats = counting only stats that affect dps/healing, not endurance)

Wrong, wrong and wrong!!!.

a) You come into this thread to make a snide comment to the OP.

b) You then come in to criticize my post on the basis of showing detailed tooltips?

Really? You are such a complete *****.

Edited by Khevar

Basic commendations are for level 55 gear. Gear you get from Oricon quests is level 53.

Simple and correct. No need to make anything more complex.

Read tooltips!

Read tutorials!

I can't see "recommended gear rating" for leveling FPs. Where is it? Can I enable it somehow?

Edited by Halinalle

I can't see "recommended gear rating" for leveling FPs. Where is it? Can I enable it somehow?

Leveling FPs have a suggested level range, but do not have gear requirements. However, as you level you might notice that all of your gear has a rating (listed on the tooltip), and when you get to 50/55 a lightbulb might go off in your head when you realize that the rating has a purpose!

So what ?

One can explain things in a polite and calm manner. Or one can be a total a**. Neither of those approaches has anything to do with being right or wrong.

<3

Basic commendations are for level 55 gear. Gear you get from Oricon quests is level 53.

Were the 156 main hands removed from the Basic Commendation vendor? I can't log on to check at the moment.

The "recommended gear rating" is stated in the quest description for things like "Weekly: Tactical Flashpoints" etc. and I think it's there only.

The gear you get from Oricon was the original Basic Gear that was for level 53 and rated 156. They later updated this with the release of Oricon - you get the 156 set from the Oricon story (probably so you aren't undergeared for finishing the story), you buy 162 rated items from the Basic Gear Vendor now.

162 was the original gear you got for Elite Commendations, that was moved up aswell. That's also why the Mainhand weapon you can buy from the Rep vendor at CZ-198 costs Elite Comms and is rated 162 as opposed to 168 or w/e the rating of Verpine gear is.

The "recommended gear rating" is stated in the quest description for things like "Weekly: Tactical Flashpoints" etc. and I think it's there only.

It doesn't tell me what is recommended gear rating for:

- Mando Raiders

- The Foundry

- The Esseles

It doesn't tell me what is recommended gear rating for:

- Mando Raiders

- The Foundry

- The Esseles

Pretty sure it's only shown in endgame dailies/weeklies, after all gear rating doesn't matter as much when doing SM of any of the FPs you listed, while it can be a huge deal in the later stages.