Why cant a class have heal and tank?

exile_army

as stated, a hybred build works pretty well

I did a hybred commando speced in DPS and heals and was quite a good build in PVE honestly, unless you in end game and need faster/bigger damage before enrage timer hits.

Also tried a hybred Bounty Hunter Merc build that was dps/heal. Pretty much same story as the commando.

Long as your not doing post 50 pvp or ops/hard mode flash points, the hybred build works well.

I think i see what you mean. Did you play SWG? I was TKM/Master doc, 2 roles for the price of one. I could still go out and DPS but at the same time I could buff players up before we head out on a raid (if I had my doc stuff on me)

You could never buff people inside a dungeon though.

They were two of the top classes before NGE.

I think having a tank that can self heal would be problematic...they would be able to solo anything with ease.

That would only be true if the hybrid spec could self heal well enough to still dps down a boss before an enrage timer kicked in. If the buffs to dps in the healing and tanking trees were restricted to the higher portion of the trees & the dps tree, tanking on a hybrid self healing tank would require the spec healer of the group to dps in their stead. Sure they would be able to solo the heroic 2 & 4's ~ but many specs can already do that.

I believe what the OP is trying to say is how come there isn't a class which has all 3 roles. For example, a Paladin in WoW can be a Healer (Holy), a Tank (Protection), and DPS (Retribution). Or another example is a Druid.

I've often asked myself the same question OP, and I haven't an answer. Maybe has something to do with Star Wars lore, though I am not sure, don't really know the lore.

We did have heal tanks..Shadow/assasin

When was this? By the time I got into beta in mid-2011, shadows never healed and sages never tanked. They were always dps/tank and heals/dps by that point.

Edited by Foobert

Tbh i would love a class that could heal or tank. like making sure it could only do one or the other at any given time would be fantastic, hell id even be up for it not having a dps tree and only tank/heal trees or even a support/buff/etc tree.

I believe what the OP is trying to say is how come there isn't a class which has all 3 roles. For example, a Paladin in WoW can be a Healer (Holy), a Tank (Protection), and DPS (Retribution). Or another example is a Druid.

I've often asked myself the same question OP, and I haven't an answer. Maybe has something to do with Star Wars lore, though I am not sure, don't really know the lore.

Well the closest you get here is probably Commando/Merc. You can spec into heals or dps but the heavy armor gives some extra mitigation over the other healing classes. I think it's a basic balancing problem with the mirrored classes. Lore may play a part as the game rewrote the 3 Jedi classes into 4 and switched a bunch of definitions around. KOTOR established the Sentinel as a the balanced class between DPS/Combat Guardian and Force User/Healing Consular but TOR made the Sent and Guardians ACs of the generic "Knight" and bringing Shadow over from the original Guardian spec into an AC of Consular.

When was this? By the time I got into beta in mid-2011, shadows never healed and sages never tanked. They were always dps/tank and heals/dps by that point.

Assassins have an ability in the tanking tree called Harnessed Darkness. At 3 stacks you heal yourself for a small amount when casting Force Lightning. It was nerfed recently because they thought our defensive abilities plus the ability to heal ourselves was unbalanced.

Paladin in wow had issues (and still have) because they can do all 3 roles and hybrid spec were rampant, causing major nerf to other spec, etc.

Change is not needed on this matter.

This. Same thing with druids. The latter class was really bad in the OP department, so much so that Blizzard actually made a completely new tanking tree for them. It used to be druids could spec for tanking and damage in the same tree. They only needed to swap out gear to do one effectively.

Even with that change they were still kinda OP when I stopped playing because even if a druid was not specced resto, they could still heal. Throw in ranged nukes, the ability to melee and tank and remove curses and you basically had a miniature raid wrapped up in a single class.

Problem is, if you had a class that could do 2 for the price of one, you'd see no other classes in PVP games. And that becomes BORING.

I actually liked being in pvp with my lvl 37 Vanguard. I could sit there and take ABSURD amounts of damage for my team while they wailed away and killed the other side. ofcourse i got my kills in, but still, just the amount of damage i could take for the team, and then add ontop of that being able to heal myself?

It would be too OP'd IMHO.

Jug: Heavy Tank or DPS

Shadow: Stealth Tank or DPS

Powertech: DPS or Tank

Sorc: Healer or DPS

Merc: DPS or Healer

Operative: Healer or DPS*

*No one in my guild everyone wants to take an Operative DPS into progression runs, is that just closed mindedness or is there something lacking with Operative (PvE) DPS?

Edited by AshlaBoga

Two letters:

OP.

It would be ridiculously overpowered. While the WoW devs refused to admit it, classes in WoW that could TANK and HEAL could literally tank multiple DPS, while healing their team. It was terrible, terrible game design and I hope I never see it again.

I'm using WoW as an example because its a prime example of what happens when developers don't control hybrid specs that feature both designs.

Edited by Arkerus

Imagine a Shadow tank that could heal like a Sage. They would be immortal.

My Shadow approves of this suggestion:rolleyes:.

Well an Assassin with Talos soloed HM Malgus.

An Assassin with Sorc healing abilities? Story Annihilator, Gharj, Bonethrasher, Jarg & Sorno, and Foreman Crusher.

That's 4/10 SM Tier 1 Operation bosses. That would be a bit OP yes.:rolleyes: