I get it!

foxmob

I understood that. But telling him what you told him is as good as telling him he's playing badly, it's just a bit more specific lol.

But your analogy is wrong (if I understand it correctly)...because ranked is this game's equivalent of pro soccer (obviously with much lower stakes), not the Sunday afternoon game.

And once again though, is your solution to just stay silent at all times? The bad player will just continue to lose over and over again, ruining games for everyone else in the process, until he just quits ranked, likely blaming his woes on the game or other players rather than himself

NO! As i said. removing unranked - or something in that direction - so that ALL PLAYERS matches work towards stabilizing their ELO (for that toon) is the right direction.

Not to praise WoW arena (i havent since 2006..so) but my memory of it and the learning curve was very related to the 'brackets' that the matchmaking system is supposed to put you in. Same goes for SC2.

In swtor part of the problem is caused by the system not having sufficient data - hence use what u have (maybe make climbing 4v4 ladder part of the general system and reward players individually..) maybe.. i dunno hope u get the direction im going with this

Edited by SushaBrancaleone

i wasn't being specific of your situation. but still, expecting that convo to go well is hardly within the cards. example your playing football, your infront of the enemy goal, free from defence and your mate with ball is surrounded but has easy access to pass u the ball tries to but royaly fails. Scenario number 1. its pro football your being paid and are really angry at him (cos u get also paid by scores btw). scenario number 2 its a sunday match and your playing with your friends after lunch at the pub. Are you seriously gonna get into a discussion with your mate about his Banana feet? possibly infront of your gf/wife and his and maybe children? Hopefully not.

I don't follow you at all. nothing in what you say seems at all applicable to the situation as I've described it.

I also don't understand how what I said to him is even possible to construe as subjective. if you take 260k dmg and die, as a mando, you're doing something poorly. don't get me wrong, I've been there plenty of times, but it's my bad. I can't complain about not getting a guard in those situations. A mando doesn't need guard to take more than 260k dmg. if you need a guard to take more than 260k dmg under focus on a mando then you're doing something wrong. the first step is to realize that. the next step is to look at how you roll dcds and what talents you take. but it all starts with the convo about realizing that you need to take more dmg.

and yes, I certainly would expect that convo to go well. I've had that convo about other things (popping bubble early). I've had someone aggressively attack me about the dmg taken thing, which is specifically why I didn't do that, and I msg'd him in confidence -- just to get slapped with the "don't tell me how to play. I'm better than you. duel me!"

I don't follow you at all. nothing in what you say seems at all applicable to the situation as I've described it.

I also don't understand how what I said to him is even possible to construe as subjective. if you take 260k dmg and die, as a mando, you're doing something poorly. don't get me wrong, I've been there plenty of times, but it's my bad. I can't complain about not getting a guard in those situations. A mando doesn't need guard to take more than 260k dmg. if you need a guard to take more than 260k dmg under focus on a mando then you're doing something wrong. the first step is to realize that. the next step is to look at how you roll dcds and what talents you take. but it all starts with the convo about realizing that you need to take more dmg.

and yes, I certainly would expect that convo to go well. I've had that convo about other things (popping bubble early). I've had someone aggressively attack me about the dmg taken thing, which is specifically why I didn't do that, and I msg'd him in confidence -- just to get slapped with the "don't tell me how to play. I'm better than you. duel me!"

im not trying to antagonize you, nor am I saying its your fault. Also when i say 'even in the best scenario' its because rather than talking of your specific situation - Im referring to a diversity of possible scenarios, hoping this can help by providing a wider perspective.

If you want helpfull advice on regards the best I can do is this: when it was time for me to get a bit more into pvp, i decided to approach some of the players that would end up in 4v4 with me (i played unranked for more than 4-5 months exclusively never really caring for 4v4 and just really wanting to do some huttball) and ask directly. I met some very polite and friendly pvpers, who gave me all the tips advice they possibly could. And still in retrospect some of those things i wasnt ready for etc etc.. - let people ask dont tell them.

Point - the teaching analogy still stands, teaching someone who inst in the mood to be taught can end up wrong in so many ways even if u are officially designated to that role. (teacher pranks eg).

Said differently, even in pro football/sports, if a colleague is crap i can hardly imagine a scenario where two players discuss what should have been done during the game. Right after the game you might want to discuss debate strategies applied but mistakes (which would require practice to correct rather than lecturing) rarely would be debated constructively in the locker room. If you want to help a collegue improve you would do that in training sessions and possibly socialize a tad too... Don't make me imagine how this would specifically translate into swtor pvp, il let your imagination do the rest.

happy huttballs!

edit: let me be clear. the pvp community gets a lot of agro. As I have come to know the pvp community I feel this is actually unfair and partially incorrect.

UNFORTUNATELY, while a 'more invested gamer' may endevor to try and help a less experienced player this just brings to situations where discriminating towards the gamer (and thus gamers) is not only and acceptable reaction but sometimes even encouraged. This happens exclusively because (More often than not) the gamer - frustrated by elo loss, lack of communication, being insulted back - will rage and automatically lose any argument regardless of his/her argumentation and entirely based on their attitude.

Edited by SushaBrancaleone

• 2 weeks later...