Are high res out of the game because of the PC heat issues?

fendergibson

The Jan 6 patch has caused some issue. We are here to report this issue.

You seem to be in this thread to blindly ignore a possible problem with the patch, perhaps it's time you left.

I should leave? You're blaming a game for overheating your system based solely on it happening after a certain date, and I'm pointing out the fact that no game can overheat your CPU unless it has a hardware problem, and I'm the guy who should leave?

Maybe the game got a bit more CPU-intensive after the January 6th patch. Maybe it didn't. I don't know; I certainly haven't seen it even though I have the same CPU. In any case, where do you get off asking me to leave the thread when you quite obviously, to anyone who knows anything about how computers handle heat, have a hardware issue, that you have more of a right to post here than I do?

Feel free to ignore me, but you've got guesses and a faulty computer on your side, and I've got facts. Even so, I'm not asking you to go away. That would be awfully arrogant of me.

Edited by imtrick

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although you may be noticing it after the Jan. 6 patch, and something changed that is causing your CPU to be hitting a max load, you still should not be seeing temperature increases like that unless your cooling solution isn't working correctly. Sometimes it's as simple as thermal compound on the die too thick.

That said, obviously something is going on, but under no circumstances, even with that sucker pegged to the wall, should it EVER be running that hot. EDIT - unless it's uncooled or improperly cooled.

Edited by Degarmo

Maybe the game got a bit more CPU-intensive after the January 6th patch..

Something changed, and they need to find out what.

I'm NOT saying my cooling is fantastic - I'm aware that I needed to increase cooling, as it can get very hot in my city (it's summer now). It was on my list of things to add to my rig, and has been pushed well up to the top of this list now :o I'm going to sort this my end to make sure these little changes don't affect me, then I can be oblivious too :)

I AM saying that something needs to be looked at since this Jan 6th patch, and the people (probably most normal non-geek type people) who didn't have ultimate cooling on their rigs but have decent setups otherwise and got high fps etc, are the ones who noticed this change the most.

I should leave? You're blaming a game for overheating your system based solely on it happening after a certain date, and I'm pointing out the fact that no game can overheat your CPU unless it has a hardware problem, and I'm the guy who should leave?

Quick skim (and I'm not picking on this post,) but this is somewhat incorrect.

There's one OTHER thing that may need optimizing, adjusting, or patching, which wouldn't be a hardware or cooling cause at all - and that would be the video card drivers. And yes, those drivers *have* caused heat issues - sometimes in general, sometimes with specific games. (Since it seems the video card temps are an issue - and if these drivers are having issues, they may be doing something to make the CPU work harder.)

Really, all the "This runs too hot!" "No it doesn't!" back and forth doesn't actually help one bit. What WOULD help is an actual set of data - like CPU, video card, make/model of PC (if not a homebuilt,) windows version, video driver revision, resolution it's running at, settings, and actual tracking of temperatures (IIRC, GPU-Z will do the last.)

That's when you'll start to see that (say) AMD Radeon HD 6 series cards with driver versions 11.3-11.5 (just to make up a range) seem to have the problem, where 10.* series don't, or whatever else the case may be.

And yes, it could be a combination fo them and something introduced in TOR. *shrug*

TLDR version - more info is needed than what's generally been given.

Edited by Arcson

why do people type such illogical bs still

Computer has a load between 1-100%

If your computer can't handle being closer tot 100% load then other games that is your problem not biowares. This game isn't a magical heat generator it falls within the boundaries of hardware operational use.

I just love it so much when people are comparing a MMO to a singleplayer games xD

Even WoW cause massive FPS drops in capital cities. That's what MMO's do due to the MMO part of the genre. <3

You didn't read thread at all. This is about CPU heat increases since Jan 6th patch, not about fps issues. Actually my fps was 90-110 fps, what's yours?

This game isn't a magical heat generator it falls within the boundaries of hardware operational use.

The increased heat issues on CPUs is only since the Jan 6th patch, so yes it's an SWTOR issue.

Edited by lollie

The increased heat issues on CPUs is only since the Jan 6th patch, so yes it's an SWTOR issue.

I know you think what the people who know how this stuff works have to say on this issue is worthless, but seriously, you should listen: Your computer is faulty. Absolutely, 100% guaranteed.

Repeating over and over that a game, any game, overheated your CPU is silly. It's never going to be true, ever.

Just because it happened after a patch does not mean your computer isn't broken.

snip

Did you even try to read what I wrote in a post up there?

Let me quote it for you here again, to make it easier for you -

I'm NOT saying my cooling is fantastic - I'm aware that I needed to increase cooling, as it can get very hot in my city (it's summer now). It was on my list of things to add to my rig, and has been pushed well up to the top of this list now :o I'm going to sort this my end to make sure these little changes don't affect me, then I can be oblivious too :)

I AM saying that something needs to be looked at since this Jan 6th patch, and the people (probably most normal non-geek type people) who didn't have ultimate cooling on their rigs but have decent setups otherwise and got high fps etc, are the ones who noticed this change the most.

Edited by lollie

What WOULD help is an actual set of data - like CPU, video card, make/model of PC (if not a homebuilt,) windows version, video driver revision, resolution it's running at, settings, and actual tracking of temperatures (IIRC, GPU-Z will do the last.)

Had to introduce extra cooling measures (and also limited fps to refresh rate using Vsync, plus added triple buffering to settings in Nvidia as well), which has stopped any CPU heat issues.

Before the Jan 6th patch I was happily playing with around 90-110 fps everywhere; have an i7 2600K @4.4gigs, 8gigs RAM @1600, P8Z68-V motherboard, and a 460gtx 1gig with latest drivers (Version 285.62), on Win7 Ultimate 64bit OS, running at 1600x1280 resolution, all game settings maxed. Apart from this new extra heating issue (since Jan 6th patch) on CPUs, game otherwise plays smooth as butter on my computer...I don't like using Vsync however, as game seems to play worse with this on.

Edited by lollie

I'm sorry but I'm siting here reading this thread and laughing my arse off. To think that software is the problem causing your computers to malfunction because it isn't coded correctly is crazy!

As others have said. Even if SWTOR pinged the hell out of your CPU and ran all 2, 4, 6, 8 cores at 100% you would be responsible for the cooling of your CPU not Bioware, lol to think otherwise is silly.

I have never seen a thread where people are openly blaming a MMO's code for there computer's inability to keep there components cool.

I guess no amount of factual or professional advice is going to sway the haters. Go ahead blame the code, blame Bioware. Heck blame Bioware for your lot in life as well.

snip

You should try reading properly, instead of overreacting. I'll re-quote for you to make it easier -

Had to introduce extra cooling measures (and also limited fps to refresh rate using Vsync, plus added triple buffering to settings in Nvidia as well), which has stopped any CPU heat issues.

Before the Jan 6th patch I was happily playing with around 90-110 fps everywhere; have an i7 2600K @4.4gigs, 8gigs RAM @1600, P8Z68-V motherboard, and a 460gtx 1gig with latest drivers (Version 285.62), on Win7 Ultimate 64bit OS, running at 1600x1280 resolution, all game settings maxed. Apart from this new extra heating issue (since Jan 6th patch) on CPUs, game otherwise plays smooth as butter on my computer...I don't like using Vsync however, as game seems to play worse with this on.

Bottom line is something changed for the worse after the Jan 6th patch.

Edited by lollie

You should try reading properly, instead of overreacting. I'll re-quote for you to make it easier -

Bottom line is something changed for the worse after the Jan 6th patch.

What changed in the jan 6th patch were their changes to shadows to fix the FPS problems some people had in indoor locations and the fixing to properly displaying the chosen graphics level.

Even if these changes means that heat output increase due to higher load it still cant go higher than 100% load. The jan 6th patch can, worst case, only put the CPU at 100% load as thats 100% of what your components are capable of performing. No patch can magicaly increase the performance of said components past 100%.

Heat is 100% tied to the load level of your components. Ergo 100% load = the maximum heat output. As the components cant work harder than 100% of their capability then the heat output cant go higher than that.

This means that even if the 6th jan patch were the most bugged piece of trash ever released. It can only push your computer to 100% of operational capability, unless you believe in magic. And thus the heat cant increase past that treshhold.

If your computer shuts down on you when its at or near 100% stress, then its unable to handle the heat. A computer should always be, and are supposed to be, designed with cooling in mind at 100% load. Thus if your computer fails to cool the components at 100% load you have underdimensioned Cooling or a hardware malfunction.

This is the responsibility of the manufacturer of the computer. Why not Bioware? Because you can get the same effect if you run IBM Burn or similar CPU stress test programs that puts the CPU at 100% load. If your computer fails a stress test does that mean IBM is to blaim who made the software?

Of course not. Anything else is living in denial. Ergo SWTOR and Bioware is not responsible for your CPU overheating.

I hope this explanation made things clearer for you.

Edited by Sorasil

CPU at 100% load.

Why would this game with no high res textures, and everything else that's missing from a graphically-intensive game, be running an i7 at 100% load?

No problems till the Jan 6th patch as well.

Edited by lollie

Why would this game with no high res textures, and everything else that's missing from a graphically-intensive game, be running an i7 at 100% load?

Nobody has said that it is. As i wrote, as a worst case scenario, even IF it were running at 100% it still cant melt your CPU.

Should they optimise the game further? Yes. Will it be done down the line? Yes. Its however totaly irrelevant to overheat problems because those are always caused by faulty cooling. Its not possible for software to overheat a computer with normal stock cooling unless the manufacturer ripped you off when designing your rig or something in it malfunctions.

That you have a rig that runs at those temperatures is a warningbell. You should search for a hardware solution instead of waiting for Bioware to take down the heat footprint of the game, because your CPU can handle the heat, and worse, if its functioning as intended on die and with cooling.

Edited by Sorasil

I can make an i7 run at 100% without any graphics even!

This thread is so full of ignorance that its not even funny anymore.

This is interesting. Just downloaded and installed Nvidia Inspector, and using that set AA to 8xQ for SWTOR (so game should now be more intensive right?) and my CPU temperatures have dropped right back down to normal again when playing SWTOR.

Can anyone explain that?

Edited by lollie

Just did some playing with a GPU monitor running on my second screen. Running with all settings maxed except for tree detail (that's at about 50 or so). In addition, a flash-stream of a SC2 tournament was playing on my second monitor.

GPU usage varies between 70% and 100%. Generally it's 100% when you're just looking at something and it drops down when you're fighting or doing something. CPU usage was around 50% most of the time, which makes sense since SW:TOR doesn't really use much more than 2 cores and I have a quad-core machine. At some point I went and made dinner and left the game to just render the same scene continuously until I got AFK-booted to the character selection screen. It had 100% GPU load during this.

GPU temperature peaked at 62 degrees, but was mostly between 58 and 60 degrees. The fan-speed is auto-regulated and at these temperature levels, it seems to roughly do 1 degree = 1% fanspeed, so it was around 60% speed most of the time.

This system is very new, assembled last week, so there's no dust, weird software or bad driver-combo's messing things up. It runs an Intel i5 2500k with a 560 Ti by MSI. Nothing overclocked yet (first testing stability at stock speeds).

Overall, my conclusion is that SW:TOR manages to max out the GPU under a lot of conditions. With other combinations of hardware, the CPU may be the limiting component, but that's not the case for my rig. At 100% load, temperatures are still fine: 60 degrees at 60% fan speed. Granted, the Twin Frozr cooler on my GPU gets very good reviews, but even stock coolers should be able to keep the GPU sufficiently cooled.

edit: all of this was with vsync disabled of course. Frame rates were around 105 fps during the static scene when i was making dinner, didn't think of checking frame rates during normal play.

Edited by Rannasha

No, they are caused by poor optimization. Again. My cooling is good, I run Crysis, Skyrim etc completely maxed out WITH high texture graphic mods, and i can play it for 2 hours and the temperature is still only around 50-60 celsius tops. But SWtor is the ONLY game that has this problem at high settings and Vsync turned off.

They need to add an FPS cap option, and also you need to check your facts.

I think you might miss-understand what Vsync is and does, short form VSync locks the number of screens feed to your monitor to the refresh rate of your monitor (normally 60Hz). Now this is the max limit of frames displayed on your monitor and can be lower. Turning off VSync just tells the video card to pump out as many frames as it can and to not look for the monitors signal saying it is ready for the next frame.

Now, with VSync turned off the video card can work harder, the GPU and ram temp will rise and this will happen with any program that is not frame limited. There are many games that are frame rate limited, BF 3 is one of them. It is not the game that drives the frame rate; it is the video card, unless the game is frame rate throttled it will pump out frames as fast as it can and the video card will try to display those frames as fast as it can with in the limits of VSync on or off.

Here is a little something to read about VSync.

I have a Gateway p7805u laptop about 3-4 years old.

Intel P8400@2.26Ghz

4GB DDR3

nvidia 9800m GTS @1Gb

Vista Home Premium 64bit

all factory specs, never even opened the laptop.

I run the game on max settings with vsync on..... no issues at all. then again my screen resolution is maxed at 1440x900 limited by the fact the screen is a WXGA and not the WUXGA screen with 1600x1200 max resolution.

SWTOR causes heat issues on my CPU.

I've bug reported it ingame, and am providing info as I go. Had to introduce extra cooling measures (and also limited fps to refresh rate using Vsync, plus added triple buffering to settings in Nvidia as well) to deal with this increased CPU temperature issue which has occurred ONLY SINCE the patch on the 6th Jan.

Before I was happily playing with around 90-110 fps everywhere; have an i7 2600K @4.4gigs, 8gigs RAM @1600, P8Z68-V motherboard, and a 460gtx 1gig, on Win7 Ultimate 64bit OS. Apart from this new extra heating issue (since Jan 6th patch) on CPUs, game otherwise plays smooth as butter on my computer...I don't like using Vsync however, as game seems to play worse with this on.

It's summertime in my country now, and I don't really need the extra load on my rig because of this poor optimisation.

This is basically one my rigs except MB is P8P67 DLX,CPU cooler is H70,GPU is MSI 570 Twin,case is CM HAF932. Am also running at 4.4Ghz.

I throughly stress tested this rig,and have been running this game maxed out without even a concern until the last patch.Never bothered to check temps after the testing.

Since the last patch my GPU fans will sometimes noticeably spin up but never to max.

Depends on where i am ingame of course. Never did that before the patch.

I ran across this thd tonight at work. Guess I'll do some testing in the next day or so,/grin.

• 1 month later...

I have two systems, and the game overheats neither...

System A: i7 870 @ 4.2GHz, 8GB Corsair DDR3-1600 VENGEANCE, GTX470 @ 1GHz Core

Max temps for CPU (on Megahalems Megashadow): 55C

Max temps for GPU (on Zalman V300F): 88C (that's a little high... remove my OC, and the max is 75, which is alright for Fermi)

System B: i3 2125 @ Stock, 4GB Corsair DDR3-1333, GTX560ti 448

Max temps for CPU (on Antec Kuhler 620): 33C

Max temps for GPU (stock cooling, non reference Galaxy model): 72C

Both systems are well within spec. System A is contained within a Silverstone Fortress FT-03, which is far from ideal. Mostly bought it for the looks. System B is a MINI-ITX (see: tiny) inside a case with little to no ventilation. If your system is overheating, it is due to inadequate cooling on YOUR part, because this game will push GPUs to 100% (for some reason), and if your hardware cannot run at 100% without crashing then that problem comes to you.