Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

To those that argued against Expertise coming back.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
To those that argued against Expertise coming back.

TrixxieTriss's Avatar


TrixxieTriss
09.22.2019 , 07:47 AM | #51
Quote: Originally Posted by Lhancelot View Post
Hi Trixx, I just wanted to say WB, I mean formally. WB Trixx!

P.S. I told you, you couldn't leave.
Only here to test, which I can’t do cause they took the PTS off line again. I’ve played 64 hours of WoW this week. That’s what I use to play in swtor before 5.0

Lhancelot's Avatar


Lhancelot
09.22.2019 , 11:00 PM | #52
Quote: Originally Posted by TrixxieTriss View Post
Only here to test, which I can’t do cause they took the PTS off line again. I’ve played 64 hours of WoW this week. That’s what I use to play in swtor before 5.0
Well, maybe with tactics and new gear sets you will find SWTOR fun again. I wish i could stand WOW for more than 2-3 weeks. By 2-3 weeks I grow bored with it. Happens everytime I have tried to stick with it.
TRUE
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthSpuds View Post
RNG is counterproductive because it massively increases player dissatisfaction.
FALSE
Quote: Originally Posted by olagatonjedi View Post
As I detailed in another thread, RNG give the players more control over their gearing.

TrixxieTriss's Avatar


TrixxieTriss
09.23.2019 , 01:26 AM | #53
Quote: Originally Posted by Lhancelot View Post
Well, maybe with tactics and new gear sets you will find SWTOR fun again. I wish i could stand WOW for more than 2-3 weeks. By 2-3 weeks I grow bored with it. Happens everytime I have tried to stick with it.
Have you tried WoW classic? The newer WoW is rubbish and even I won’t play that. But Classic WoW is pure MMO to the core.

Also, have you used some of the QOL addons you can get to make QOL systems more like swtor? Some are even better than swtor. Although some things are annoying, aka, no “legacy” storage and slow mailing to Alts and lack of Barbie outfitter options. But those small annoying things are offset by better things or more enjoyable things for me, like 4ms ping vs 230ms ping, less intense but more thought out combat and an ultra friendly player base compared to swtor.

Plus no level sync. If you aren’t high enough, don’t have help or are under geared, then you die. Hence MMO at the core and that’s why people are more willing to help. Even with crafting stuff. I made a heap of bags (inventory spaces) and just ran around giving them to people last night in the starting areas. They were so grateful and it felt good helping them out, like someone did for me the first day. People also run along and buff you and help you kill something if they see you struggling. LFG to do dungeons or just get a quest done is easy and mostly positive and fast, even at 3am in the morning my regional server time in AUS, which has much less population (still large) than US or EU.

If you need help with some advice with which addons, send me a PM and I’ll suggest some and the best way to set them up to look nearly exactly like swtor.

Raansu's Avatar


Raansu
09.23.2019 , 11:24 AM | #54
Quote: Originally Posted by TrixxieTriss View Post
Have you tried WoW classic? The newer WoW is rubbish and even I won’t play that. But Classic WoW is pure MMO to the core.
Classic WoW is still WoW to me. I couldn't get into WoW back in the day, and I can't get into it now. I've always wanted to, but there's just something about WoW that I find incredibly boring. The lore and the world just do no interest me so when I play I just feel like I'm on a train going through the tracks of quests with no real care about anything.

Ironically the longest I played WoW was years ago when my cousin used the that invite a friend to return thing and I got a free level boost and all I ever did was pvp which I found really fun. Aside from that, WoW just never kept me interested in the game.

Lhancelot's Avatar


Lhancelot
09.23.2019 , 11:28 AM | #55
Quote: Originally Posted by TrixxieTriss View Post
Have you tried WoW classic? The newer WoW is rubbish and even I won’t play that. But Classic WoW is pure MMO to the core.

Also, have you used some of the QOL addons you can get to make QOL systems more like swtor? Some are even better than swtor. Although some things are annoying, aka, no “legacy” storage and slow mailing to Alts and lack of Barbie outfitter options. But those small annoying things are offset by better things or more enjoyable things for me, like 4ms ping vs 230ms ping, less intense but more thought out combat and an ultra friendly player base compared to swtor.

Plus no level sync. If you aren’t high enough, don’t have help or are under geared, then you die. Hence MMO at the core and that’s why people are more willing to help. Even with crafting stuff. I made a heap of bags (inventory spaces) and just ran around giving them to people last night in the starting areas. They were so grateful and it felt good helping them out, like someone did for me the first day. People also run along and buff you and help you kill something if they see you struggling. LFG to do dungeons or just get a quest done is easy and mostly positive and fast, even at 3am in the morning my regional server time in AUS, which has much less population (still large) than US or EU.

If you need help with some advice with which addons, send me a PM and I’ll suggest some and the best way to set them up to look nearly exactly like swtor.
See, that's one thing I actually do not like about WOW. The add-ons! The game turned into whoever has the best add-ons have significant advantages on WOW.

I played WOW when it was fairly new ages back, so i am familiar with every era of WOW, it doesn't matter I never got sucked into it like other games.
TRUE
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthSpuds View Post
RNG is counterproductive because it massively increases player dissatisfaction.
FALSE
Quote: Originally Posted by olagatonjedi View Post
As I detailed in another thread, RNG give the players more control over their gearing.

Banderal's Avatar


Banderal
09.23.2019 , 03:27 PM | #56
Quote: Originally Posted by TrixxieTriss View Post
Have you tried WoW classic? The newer WoW is rubbish and even I won’t play that. But Classic WoW is pure MMO to the core.
Does WoW classic have the drunken master tank class? Sure the name is cool in and of itself, but that was also the most I got into WoW. I loved the mechanic of that class where you had the potential damage, and you kept drinking to reduce it. I went fighter with the latest expansion, and got bored with it pretty quick.

But for WoW classic - I know you mention the level sync stuff, but I actually like that. One of the things I hated about WoW when I first tried it was that I just ran out of things to do, and when I went to try to find things to do I died pretty quick because I obviously ventured into the wrong area. The level sync is also one of the things I love about ESO. I can go any frikin place I want to, and just pick up the adventure there. Doesn't matter if I'm "above" the original level, or "below". I can play old content I've never touched with my max level toon and it's still challenging, or I can take my newb toon right into the expansion. Both work equally well. And ESO has SO MUCH content.

Anyway, I've been doing a bit of DDO recently. I know, I know... really old game. Old graphics. Lag problems. But the mechanics are not like any other MMO (I know of). Trap disarming, and secret doors to find, and needing healing of some kind because you don't just heal by standing there, and dying sucks because you actually lose something (xp). Plus JUMPING and TUMBLING. My ddo rogue can jump a billion times higher than my super-force-powerful-jedi (yes, a billion, I measured ). And I'm finding some of the mid to higher level quests are pretty clever storywise and for what they manage to hook up to their mechanics. I haven't seen any quest in SWTOR where you have to go recruit a giant to be in a theater production! No PvP though to speak of.

Slippery When'wet, FistFullOfCandy - SF

TrixxieTriss's Avatar


TrixxieTriss
09.23.2019 , 07:41 PM | #57
Quote: Originally Posted by Banderal View Post
Does WoW classic have the drunken master tank class? Sure the name is cool in and of itself, but that was also the most I got into WoW. I loved the mechanic of that class where you had the potential damage, and you kept drinking to reduce it. I went fighter with the latest expansion, and got bored with it pretty quick.

But for WoW classic - I know you mention the level sync stuff, but I actually like that. One of the things I hated about WoW when I first tried it was that I just ran out of things to do, and when I went to try to find things to do I died pretty quick because I obviously ventured into the wrong area. The level sync is also one of the things I love about ESO. I can go any frikin place I want to, and just pick up the adventure there. Doesn't matter if I'm "above" the original level, or "below". I can play old content I've never touched with my max level toon and it's still challenging, or I can take my newb toon right into the expansion. Both work equally well. And ESO has SO MUCH content.

Anyway, I've been doing a bit of DDO recently. I know, I know... really old game. Old graphics. Lag problems. But the mechanics are not like any other MMO (I know of). Trap disarming, and secret doors to find, and needing healing of some kind because you don't just heal by standing there, and dying sucks because you actually lose something (xp). Plus JUMPING and TUMBLING. My ddo rogue can jump a billion times higher than my super-force-powerful-jedi (yes, a billion, I measured ). And I'm finding some of the mid to higher level quests are pretty clever storywise and for what they manage to hook up to their mechanics. I haven't seen any quest in SWTOR where you have to go recruit a giant to be in a theater production! No PvP though to speak of.
This is classic or “vanilla” WoW in all its glory and issues it might have had in 1.3. They especially released it like that to give players the “exact conditions” of classic feel. The only updates have been graphics performance, bug squashes and a type of map instance they call layering to help with the absurd amount of players in the games. All servers are mostly full and the OWPVP ones seem to be the most popular. Already had some epic OWPVP fights of about 60+ people at the same time. They have nearly quadrupled the amount of servers they started with and could probably open more.because queues are still a thing in the US and EU. Ive heard retail WoW is like a ghost town because everyone is player classic. Zero lag at maximum settings for me and most others I think. Imagine 60 players pvping in swtor? The game would roll over and die.

You dont really need lvl sync. Even if you want to go back and do stuff or help people, it’s still fun. The only difference is the higher you are, the less range you will pull mob agro. The lower you are, the bigger pack of them you can pull (and die lol).

Because it’s classic WoW there aren’t any of the later races, like drunken monks, pandas, death knights, dranari, classes, class balance or extra abilities/trees. They all came in later expansions, the drunken monks were with the Pandas and thats when I stopped playing WoW retail and it went drown hill from that expansion. Classes and weapons are also limited to only some races in classic (it makes it more unique). Lvling is slower (especially compared to vanilla swtor) unless you are a speed demon and only playing the most efficient and fastest way. Ie grinding the same dungeons with the same people, over and over again. Even then, it will take you about 10+ hours to get to the first low dungeon and another 5-8 hours to get to the next and you will still only be lvl 24.
You will never run out of things to do as you lvl in classic. Most of the time Ive got to choose what I don’t want to do.

There are some people at lvl 60 on my servers (I’m on two servers), but not many. There is a census addon you can get that shows how many people are on and what lvl, names, guilds and how many members the guilds have. It only reads from lvl 30+ And the biggest numbers are between lvl’s 34 and 49. I’ve only seen a few lvl 60s. I run the census every 30 mins and it collates the data.

As long as you figure out the starting areas and the next areas to progress, you shouldn’t die too much. Most of the world quests actually lead you to the next area when you’re high enough. But if you are having trouble cause you’re a little under lvl’d, there are usually plenty of people ready to help.

What I really love is how people are mostly polite and helpful. I’ve only had a few ninjas who obviously don’t get the culture yet. I’ve actually seen people line up in an orderly fashion to kill a boss mob needed for quests (if a group can’t be formed or there are too many). Everyone chats while waiting and no one pushes in. I had a bunch of randoms just show up the other night to help me take down this boss who was probably a bit too high for me (I was giving it a go anyway ). Then they asked if I needed help with anything else and spent an hour helping me with quests they’d already done. When I finished they gave me a bunch of gear for free and wished me well. That has never happened to me in swtor and I’m sure not to many others either. I’ve now been giving away stuff too and it feels good.

To answer Lhance about addons. I don’t use them to give me an advantage in combat, mine are all QOL ones. Ie, moving the UI, quest finders, auction helpers, gathering maps, being able to see what Alts have in there banks and bags (I wish swtor had that) and my favourite, fishing buddy (I love fishing, it’s so relaxing).
I’ve 8 Alts going at the moment, which I’m sure as an altoholic, you can relate and half the professions. I’m currently hunting for (grinding a little) for a cool pet for my hunter.

If you feel like jumping on an Aussie server, I’m more than happy to group up and show you two the ropes (so to speak).