Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Transgender Representation in Swtor

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Transgender Representation in Swtor

gintheripper
06.21.2019 , 12:32 AM | #1
Hi I'd like to start off by saying thanks to the swtor staff and community for their great representation of lgbt characters and choices however speaking as a trans person I am still holding out hoping for the inclusion of a character even a non romanceable one that more directly represents myself and other individuals like me I know it is a bit of a longshot but still I remain forever in hope as I am a huge star war fan and especially a fan of swtor please share your two cents

buddydogputin
06.22.2019 , 01:09 PM | #2
Lucas said there aren't any LGBT character in Star Wars. In essence, what little LGBT representation Bioware did put was perhaps a violation of Lucas's orginal vision.

FlameYOL
06.23.2019 , 08:17 AM | #3
My main concern here is doing it well, when representing any given minority you need to treat a character like that with respect but at the same time be careful not to have that character's personality be only his identity, etc. Otherwise you risk making a caricature which does not serve the purpose of representation in my opinion. That being said I think with characters like Krem from DAI Bioware certainly learned how to represent transgenders better than they did in the past so I wouldn't rule it out.

Quote: Originally Posted by buddydogputin View Post
Lucas said there aren't any LGBT character in Star Wars. In essence, what little LGBT representation Bioware did put was perhaps a violation of Lucas's orginal vision.
There had been a few gay characters within the novels during the Lucas era, plus Lucas isn't in charge anymore and while I do think we should respect the man's vision I don't see how adding LGBT characters to Star Wars would be a violation of that. post vanilla SWTOR is still very Star Wars and it has LGBT characters.
A man can have anything...If he's willing to sacrifice everything

AhsokaTanorules
06.23.2019 , 04:35 PM | #4
Anyone ever read Star of The Guardians franchise by Margaret Weiss? They did have a race called the Adonians who were said to change genders just as often as we would change our underwears.

FlameYOL
06.24.2019 , 08:06 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by AhsokaTanorules View Post
Anyone ever read Star of The Guardians franchise by Margaret Weiss? They did have a race called the Adonians who were said to change genders just as often as we would change our underwears.
Nope, quite an interesting species. Something similar happens to Argonians in The Elder Scrolls saga, they're able to change their gender through a ritual with the Hist Trees.
A man can have anything...If he's willing to sacrifice everything

Mubrak
06.24.2019 , 09:45 AM | #6
And the original canon Hutts were hermaphrodites usually identifying as one gender, some of them being attracted to humanoids of the "opposite" sex

As for the OP, IMO the problem is in representation here, sexual orientation is one thing, if there are gay/bi NPCs that aren't just player-sexual, I can't remember them, so they're pretty well done, because how would you know if they aren't having a parade celebrating stereotypes?

How would you represent gender, though? Medicine should be advanced enough so reassignment surgery should be perfect and only a matter of being able to afford it, so we are really only talking about those embracing their non-binarity, which again isn't really something you would know outside of a relation.

That guy dating a tentacle-headed alien should be beyond caring about the naughty bits of their androgynous looking neighbor. Same for the "humanity first" dork. you're human, that means you're his friend in this galaxy of freaks. There are no gender-roles to challenge either, nobody raises an eyebrow at a burly female in combat armor. Bearded guy(?) wearing a ball gown? Meet my mate the giant slug and her husband the green bunny rabbit.

In the end it depends on whether you want to see western society's transgender issues mirrored in the game universe, or whether you want to see them demonstrated as non-issues, because diversity is the golden theme here.
6.0: Do not add that gaudy flashing icon above every vendor's head without an option to turn it off.
Let us sort our companion list and hide or kick out the unwanted ones!

http://www.swtor.com/r/rszTdG

merovejec
06.24.2019 , 11:38 AM | #7
I dunno, I think transgen is a bit too much for Star Wars. I am fine with the lesbian/gay stuff in the game which was mainly added cause its a Bioware game and they had this in previous games, but this would be a bit too much and also hard to implement since its sci-fi and as it was said medicine in this universe is on a much higher level. Lets just stick with Star Wars.
Merovejec
7 days of being a sub, try it! Refferal Link
Achievements 5.10 69015

SteveTheCynic
06.24.2019 , 12:14 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Mubrak View Post
if there are gay/bi NPCs that aren't just player-sexual, I can't remember them,
Lemda Avesta (Pubside Makeb) and Lord Cytharat (Impside Makeb) are the only ones, I believe.
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.
> @"Biff.5312" said:
> Exercise your whimsy.

MadDutchman
06.24.2019 , 07:26 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by SteveTheCynic View Post
Lemda Avesta (Pubside Makeb) and Lord Cytharat (Impside Makeb) are the only ones, I believe.
Arguably Kaliyo as well (bi in this case)

As others have noted, I would not support this on the grounds it would just turn into virtue signalling/importing contentious social issues. I get enough of that in RL, I don't want it in SW too.
Demand: Are. We. There. Yet.

Use my referral link for free goodies.

ceryxp
06.24.2019 , 09:47 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by SteveTheCynic View Post
During the pub side Oricon story we hear about a trooper who keeps having visions of killing his husband. During Fallen Empire, we get a letter from a Knight, if we spare them, where he thanks us for letting him go home to his husband.
--------------------------------------------------
Click the link. You know you wanna. You'll get free stuff. - http://www.swtor.com/r/W9ZqZj