How to Succeed in PvP Without Really Trying

Lightslaststand

Are you tired of being completely destroyed in every single PvP match you play? Tired of ending up in the Warzone you don't like 99% of the time? Think afk'ers should have their characters thrown into a Sarlacc pit (perma-death)? Then this is the post you have been waiting for.

I am here to tell you how to stop losing at PvP and become the ultimate PvP Elite Warlord! (Note that some of the following comes from a previous post I made)

Before I start, quick info about me. I am a level 50 PvP Guardian Tank and level 50 PvP Sage Healer. I have been PvP'ing from level 10 with both and believe this is the best PvP in the release of a game I have ever seen. I may or may not be good. I let other players be the judge of my skill.

Now, it is important to note that even the best PvP'ers lose. In fact, many of the best PvP players lose quite frequently. Then how are they the best? Simple, in the time it took for them to become great players, they had to lose a lot first. Losing is a natural way to help you learn. If you aren't losing ever, you're probably cheating or everyone on the other team is afk (or in a Sarlacc).

Next, if you believe another class is overpowered then you would be completely correct. If my class is doing .01% more dps than you, I'm overpowered! If I can kill you 1v1, I am definitely overpowered. In fact, anything I do that does better than you means I am clearly overpowered.

I am not here to argue who is more powerful, nor am I here to tell you to stop needlessly complaining on the forums about who should be next for the Sarlacc pit. However, here are some tips about some ways you can do better. They come with a 100% satisfaction guarantee or else you are allowed 1 post claiming I know nothing about PvP and should ragequit by throwing my computer at the wall.

1. Make a premade. I don't care if you can't make a full operations group or what the opponent has, teamwork even in small groups has a significant impact. Work with the other players to coordinate a strategy and work together. As a healer I get a tank or as a tank, I get a healer. This combination is quite powerful. As a tank, I can jump into half the team and sit there and tank them all day. Of course, I don't actually kill any of them, but holding off most of the team with only 2 people has a greater impact that you might know.

2. Research your class. I don't care if you feel underpowered. Aside from a few minor issues, classes are in fact quite balanced. I am fully aware of the problems that exist, but you can overcome them. Your class should not be able to beat every other class 1v1. If you can't, it doesn't mean you're underpowered, it means you should read point 1 above. Aside from that, the players who understand their class do the best because they know how to use their abilities, not that they have some great advantage over everyone else. I like taugrim personally for my PvP advice, but there are plenty of other places to learn.

3. Keep playing. More than anything else, follow this one. Everyone reading this post could be playing and practicing their PvP skills instead of posting their inevitable flame post. The more time you spend complaining to the forums about the game, the less time you have to actually learn. If you believe that the game is not worth playing currently because you feel underpowered, you keep getting groups that don't know how to play, or you just hate PvP in general, see points 1 and 2 above.

After reading up to this point, you are likely thinking one of two things:

1. I'm glad I read this post, it was useful. I am going to read up on my class and watch videos from people like taugrim

2. I know everything the OP said and I am going to a. criticize this thread or b. ignore this post and continue not enjoying PvP.

I'm going to be honest, it doesn't affect me whether you read or follow this or you don't, but if you don't take what I've listed into consideration, you will probably continue hating PvP and making more "I hate PvP" and "Throw <playername> into a Sarlacc pit" posts on the PvP forums.

Lastly, (Yes, I know) if you truly believe you have followed my advice well but no matter how well you or your half-team group plays, there's still that one player / team that doesn't understand PvP and you blame them for losing, I have advice for what to do:

1. Send them here. Make sure they know these things too and instead of saying "learn to play," tell them exactly where they can go to do what you frequently suggest to them.

2. Teach the player / team how to play PvP, since you understand it so well. Plus, once you teach them, then you have other player to group up with, and more likelihood that you are going to win future PvP matches. In fact, you should make PvP help guides on the forum, maybe make a few PvP videos, and why not a dedicated PvP how-to website as well. Then everyone will follow you, and you might start to see even your PUG PvP fights start to improve.

Whew, props, in fact, double kudos and triple props to anyone who managed to read this entire post. I created this post to help other players become better, as is what I frequently try to do in game as well. Please, if you have any other PvP advice, suggestions, or in game Sarlacc pits in which to push enemies of the opposite faction, please post. Your fellow players' happiness depends on it (unless they are of said opposite faction).

TL;DR See top of post for how to succeed in PvP

Edited by Lightslaststand

Here are some guides for each class, some PvE as well.

Sage and Shadow

Assassin and Sorcerer

Commando

Powertech and Mercenary

Gunslinger and Scoundrel

Operative and Sniper

Juggernaut

Marauder

Sentinel

I have not found any Guardian or Vanguard PvP guides. You can check the ones of your mirror class.

Edited by Lightslaststand

Sorry I feel the need to sum your post up a little:

1. Get better geared than most your enemies.

2. Group with players with better gear than most your enemies.

3. Understand a warzone slightly better than a group of lemurs can.

4. Talk on vent.

5. Pwn noobs.

Getting to 50 without understanding your class shouldn't be an option as if this cannot be done by then ... quit the game.

Pvp in this game is gear and little else.

4. Talk on vent.

5. Pwn noobs.

Getting to 50 without understanding your class shouldn't be an option as if this cannot be done by then ... quit the game.

Though I did not specifically address it, gear is a factor, but it is not the only factor. So yes, if players have equal skill level, the better geared player will win, or if there is a large gear difference, they better geared player is quite likely to win, but teamwork is much more important than gear. A team can be fully max geared, but if they don't work together, they don't stand a chance at winning, especially since the 50 bracket removed much of the gear differences.

Brilliant post. I think that someone as slow as I am can (finally) get some benefit from somewhere. I read up on my class, but I'm far too lazy to organize a group or teach others. Now that I realize how simple it is, I can start making challenged steps towards doing these two things.

4. Talk on vent.

5. Pwn noobs.

I fell the need to sum up YOUR post a little:

L2P noobs.

Go troll someone who isn't trying to help people actually L2P. People are reading this so that they can L2P.

I have been PvP'ing from level 10 with both and believe this is the best PvP in the release of a game I have ever seen.

If I only ever played SWTOR and Neopets at release I would give a slight edge to SWTOR's pvp as well.

Very slight.

Edited by Mhak

4. Talk on vent.

5. Pwn noobs.

2 Pro 4 SW:TOR.

And to clarify, PvEing to 50 doesn't prepare you in the slightest for PvP.

Enjoy DAoC, or whatever other dead PvP game you claim is the best ever.

EDIT - The OP makes good points, but unfortunately, many people seem to come to this forum to spew emotion, not discuss reason.

Edited by Cogbyrn

Excellent post. Here are my thoughts.

1) Be optimistic:

Picture everyone beating you down as scared and acting in defense.. instead of picturing some teen laughin at your poor skill. You may be sith on game... channel your rage into harmonious slaughter. And not facerolling on your keyboard.

2) Try to focus on your class:

Dont buy into trolls and whiners on forums "my class sucks". Learn the game changing traits of your class. Who you work best against and who you could avoid (range vs melee) etc.

3)Prioritize your spells.

Dont burn out all your c.d.s. learn your spells as if your building a 99 hit combo. Spell 1-it interrupt- relic+ hard hitting spell 2- interrupt heal- finisher etc.

4) learn your surrounding

Line of sight your enemy. Thia can cause them to get frustrated or move to someone else.

5) Team up and dont go solo in warfront

You have better chances of survival when working together.

6) stimpacks

Can be game changers .. time it well. Dont wait till your below 30%health.

Skill before gear.. (just unless he is all champions:p). Remember pvp can feel better like a grind sometimes.. just roll with it. Perfect your rotation.. anticipate ur enemys move... and surprise them.

FOR THE EMPIRE!!!

Roll sorc/sage. Keybind everthing to lightning/pebble spam.

Alternatively, roll merc/commando and keybind everything to tracer missile/whatever commandos have.

Let your parrot walk over keyboard while you watch adult movies.

Collect your hard earned epicz.

Profit.

Don't believe me? Here you go:

http://tinypic.com/r/e8qq34/5

What if I dont own a parrot, what other animals can sub in?

Roll sorc/sage. Keybind everthing to lightning/pebble spam.

Alternatively, roll merc/commando and keybind everything to tracer missile/whatever commandos have.

Let your parrot walk over keyboard while you watch adult movies.

Collect your hard earned epicz.

Profit.

Don't believe me? Here you go:

http://tinypic.com/r/e8qq34/5

Are you trying to prove that this person doesn't ever check his/her mail? That's all I got out of it.

Also, I love when sorcs/sages do nothing but that. With the little PvP gear I have, they die.

Another suggestion I would make is to learn how to communicate important information quickly on vent. Calling out who you're healing, who you're guarding, who you're targeting, which of the targets is a healer etc etc is important. The more information you can communicate clearly, quickly and concisely the better.

Another suggestion I would make is to learn how to communicate important information quickly on vent. Calling out who you're healing, who you're guarding, who you're targeting, which of the targets is a healer etc etc is important. The more information you can communicate clearly, quickly and concisely the better.

Absolutely, however, being in a PUG and since you are unable to make full PvP ops groups, having everyone in a VoIP chat isn't usually possible. Communication is a big key though and it certainly is useful to have a VoIP server with which to do so.

Heya, nice compilation of information. Might I suggest also adding links to Primer's from each class forum? That way people looking for info that only check here can get it? Also, regarding Expertise, you can farm level 34-48 items and scrap enhancments for expertise prior to 50... sure it is a stat loss, but if you are worried about that there are ways to mitigate it. Finally, while sub-50, make sure to grind 1000 mercs and 1000 warzone comms, as well as having a champion bag pre-bought, so that when you hit 50 you can instantly take 6 attempts at gear. All of this mitigates issues with gear discrepancies.

I am fully aware that you can get expertise before 50, but most people don't, and what you can get it still quite a bit less than anyone at 50 can. Considering the cost, it really isn't worth it since you aren't too far away from 50 anyway.

As for the points and commendations, one can certainly do that, but this post is geared towards lower level players who are newer to PvP and likely aren't worried about hitting level 50 for a good while.