Why Does George lucas

Xusi

Because it's his IP, and he does what he wants with it. He can't take criticism at all, and insists on doing everything his way. If people don't like it, tough cookies.

He has rewritten history in his re-releases time and again, making the new generation of fans believe that Greedo actually shot first, or got a shot off at all.

He has put blatant stupidity into his prequel scripts for the sake of continuity, and he makes no apologies. Now, I'm not saying he should. It's just that some people take criticism and turn it into something positive. He took the criticism of fans and said "NO MORE MOVIES FOR YOU!" The reason I'm not saying he should apologize is, frankly, because it's HIS IP. He can do whatever he wants with it.

All I would ask from him is maybe a bit of consistency with his work. Rewrites ruin stories, imo. The whole point of Han Solo gunning down Greedo in cold blood at the beginning of ANH was to show his evolution from selfish scoundrel into a true hero. Then that message was taken away by the latest re-release where Greedo shot first and missed.

And I've already said everything I need to say about the whole "Luke, Leia, *croak*" scene in Episode III.

I think he kind of hates it in a way.

Look at it this way he became a filmmaker to tell stories lots of different stories. But it seems everyone only wants him to do Star Wars. Then when he does Star Wars (ie the prequels) Everyone says OMG its horrible its the worst thing ever.

When he tries to do something different like Red Tails people keep asking him when is the new star wars coming out.

Now he has done a lot for the fanbase. He keeps putting out tons of video games and EU stuff but its clear he kind of hates it and you can tell by the way he doesn't really count any of it as canon. He is smart enough to allow it to exist but he doesn't like it.

I think he kind of hates it in a way.

Look at it this way he became a filmmaker to tell stories lots of different stories. But it seems everyone only wants him to do Star Wars. Then when he does Star Wars (ie the prequels) Everyone says OMG its horrible its the worst thing ever.

When he tries to do something different like Red Tails people keep asking him when is the new star wars coming out.

Now he has done a lot for the fanbase. He keeps putting out tons of video games and EU stuff but its clear he kind of hates it and you can tell by the way he doesn't really count any of it as canon. He is smart enough to allow it to exist but he doesn't like it.

Umm, he actually doesn't do much for the ExU. Except stick his head in every once in a while and say "That's not right. Change it." For example, he found out Wookiees were becoming Jedi and said "Nope. Wookiees aren't Jedi." And so it came to pass that no more Wookiees would ever become Jedi.

As for the fans, he said in an interview that it's HIS story. Not the fans' story. Now, he is 100% correct on that. He owns it. He doesn't care what the fans think. As long as people shell out money for Star Wars merchandise, he is getting PAID.

While I may not agree with everything he's done, I am still a fan of Star Wars. It has taken on a life of its own with the videogames, comics, novels, and TOR especially. I have been a fan of the Old Republic era since I first read Tales of the Jedi.

Oh, that reminds me! He also stuck his head in once to say "That Jedi Code is wrong. Put 'There is no' in each line instead of 'yet'." He purposely made the wording of the Jedi Code more restrictive.

On a side note, I do like the Je'Daii Oath from before the great schism.

There is no ignorance; there is knowledge.

There is no fear; there is power.

I am the heart of the Force.

I am the revealing fire of light.

I am the mystery of darkness.

In balance with chaos and harmony,

Immortal in the Force.

He stole it and killed the original writer. After his divorce he realized that he would have to write the prequals, this took him roughly 16 years to do. This is the only logical explaination of inconsistences and why people think the prequals suck and the OT doesn't. Edited by Tuscad

Because the fans are complete jerks. The Star Wars universe has some of the most dedicated but also extreme and critical fans of any story. Fans pleaded for more Star Wars for years, and he delivers. Before the movie was even out people were talking trash about him and his ideas.

People can't comprehend that it's nearly impossible to recreate the magic that was the original Star Wars 6 times in a row. Expections are always over the top and through the roof.

The critism from people was overboard and way out of line in a lot of ways. George Lucas cares a lot about Star Wars. He's very passionate about his baby and has a strong attachment and sense of pride of it. When people are harsh about your pride and joy, it makes you not want to share anymore with them.

It's Star Wars fans, not George Lucas, who is responsible for there not being more out there for us. When some of your fanbase has called for your death or called your hard work trash because you did something they didn't like in the storyline, why would you ever want to give them the satisfaction of creating more material that they are just going to bash?

Blame yourselves, if you are one of the overly critical.

As for myself, I love Star Wars. I love the originals, I love the re-vamped originals, and I love the prequels. I think the universe he has created is incredible, and I'm very disapointed that I can't get more because of the rudeness of other fans.

I think it's pretty obvious GL is sick of Star Wars. He spent countless years on the series and a lot of fans feel a certain entitlement to it. Remember the outcry from the special edition re-release? Those were minor things and yet still many people slated him.

The guy put everything into the series and he got burnt out. It happens to many artists.

To be honest I think Star Wars was ever supposed to go past ROTJ. At least not with movies. We got the closure that was needed with ROTJ and its a great ending to what was an epic series, regardless of the changes. It ties up a story.

The "criticism" he's had from fans has sometimes neither been constructive nor of any use. Having fans write "You suck what did you do too our movies/you ruined our childhood" must sure feel like a kick in the nuts.

Edited by sambeta

Because the fans are complete jerks. The Star Wars universe has some of the most dedicated but also extreme and critical fans of any story. Fans pleaded for more Star Wars for years, and he delivers. Before the movie was even out people were talking trash about him and his ideas.

People can't comprehend that it's nearly impossible to recreate the magic that was the original Star Wars 6 times in a row. Expections are always over the top and through the roof.

The critism from people was overboard and way out of line in a lot of ways. George Lucas cares a lot about Star Wars. He's very passionate about his baby and has a strong attachment and sense of pride of it. When people are harsh about your pride and joy, it makes you not want to share anymore with them.

It's Star Wars fans, not George Lucas, who is responsible for there not being more out there for us. When some of your fanbase has called for your death or called your hard work trash because you did something they didn't like in the storyline, why would you ever want to give them the satisfaction of creating more material that they are just going to bash?

Blame yourselves, if you are one of the overly critical.

As for myself, I love Star Wars. I love the originals, I love the re-vamped originals, and I love the prequels. I think the universe he has created is incredible, and I'm very disapointed that I can't get more because of the rudeness of other fans.

Bingo. /thread

He would help Luke located force sensitives or something, IDK, don't pin this on me. Just trying to make the saga continue. =P

If it were to continue I think the Zahn books would be good material. I kind of doubt they would use them though.

If it were to continue I think the Zahn books would be good material. I kind of doubt they would use them though.

Indeed, that is the proper way to go. I know for a fact that George wouldn't use them though simply because he is George and by god is he going to write his own script.

Indeed, that is the proper way to go. I know for a fact that George wouldn't use them though simply because he is George and by god is he going to write his own script.

Ugh, that's what I'm afraid of. He has good ideas, but he's not much of a writer...

Other directors have done a better job anyway most of the time.

E.g. Watch the force unleashed cutscenes back to back on youtube. It's about 60 minutes long and actually makes a pretty good movie. The dialog is certainly better than most of the prequals and the story is a lot darker too (ignoring the holes where you actually play the game in between) :p

Edited by NasherUK

Other directors have done a better job anyway most of the time.

E.g. Watch the force unleashed cutscenes back to back on youtube. It's about 60 minutes long and actually makes a pretty good movie. The dialog is certainly better than most of the prequals and the story is a lot darker too (ignoring the holes where you actually play the game in between) :p

if you watched the behind the scences videos you would also know they worked pretty closely with george lucas when making the game so maybe thats why theres also alot of hate on those 2 games as well :)

Fact of the matter is that the prequals were so bad because Lucas directed them. Sure the stories made no sense either, but if there had been good direction and acting that might have made up for it. Alot of people don't seem to realize that Lucas didn't direct Empire or ROTJ. Also he tried way to hard to pluralize the new films for fans of all ages and backgrounds. Anytime you try to make a movie for everyone to like no one does.

Fact of the matter is that the prequals were so bad because Lucas directed them. Sure the stories made no sense either, but if there had been good direction and acting that might have made up for it. Alot of people don't seem to realize that Lucas didn't direct Empire or ROTJ. Also he tried way to hard to pluralize the new films for fans of all ages and backgrounds. Anytime you try to make a movie for everyone to like no one does.

Don't blame the actors. They had awful awful dialogue to work with. The stories made sense... they just weren't up to the standards of OT and revised certain established canon story. I do agree the biggest issue was Lucas directing. He didn't even do much of the direction for ANH. The difference is back then people would call him out and say no to some of his awful ideas. With the PT no one would tell him when an idea was bad, or at least he wouldn't listen. Overall I don't think the movies were awful and did add some interesting things to the Star Wars Universe, but the enjoyment of watching them is certainly detracted from. I want a future release to have Jar-Jar revised to be less annoying.

I wonder how long he spent writing the OT. Maybe he just needed longer for the PT?

The problem is he didn't write the OT on his own, so to speak.

Back then there were people who gave advice and critiqued what he had. Combine that with the technical limitations of the times in special effects, make up etc, and we got the OT.

With the prequels, he's tried to say that it's always been Anakin's story from the get go, and put together things he'd already worked on before, with people who didn't provide the same types of constructive criticism and without the same kinds of technical limitations he had to deal with on the earlier films.

As much as I can enjoy the prequels (Episode 1 the least), I can't enjoy all six films as a saga.