Assassin or Juggernaut Tank

DaveVoogd

Juggernaut tank hands down.

Has amazing damage, the most defencive cooldowns in the game, a reflect, the ability to heal themselfs nearly back up to full just from taking damage and have heavy armor so they arn't as squishy as the assassin.

The only thing the assassin has on the jug is that it is stealth which unless you want to skip everything isn't that good and the ability to purge themselfs of all debuff which is good but if you don't play it right you will die in like 3 hits where the jug can take the hits and just laugh while beating everyone down.

If it is your first time tanking, then I would also suggest Juggernaut. It is easier to learn tanking on him with his strong defensives and selfheals, and he is fully capable of tanking nightmare operations, so it is not like you have to switch on assassin later. Assassin requires more knowledge about the fights and which boss attack does which type damage and which ability you should use to counter that, which would add to the learning curve.

Besides, if you find out you like tanking role, you will probably create a sin tank later anyway just to see how it differs, and then pick your favorite...

For PvE levelling, the Vengeance Juggernaut is really good with his AoE damage. He does not have stealth, but for levelling it is actually better to just kill everything for xp anyway...

I personally think that Shadow/Assassin has a few more mobility tools than Guardian/Juggernaut, though those tools probably come into play more often in pvp. Neither has the mobility tools of VG/PT though, but they have other advantages to help compensate. Force Shroud is one of the best DCD's in the game though, and its value of allowing the tank to ignore many boss mechanics cannot be overstated, especially since its on a relatively short cooldown. G/J don't really have an ability to completely ignore mechanics the way S/A do. Proper use of stealthing during fights, either to reset medpack usage or rez a group member, can really help certain fights. S/A can take some mobs completely out of the fight with Force Lift/Whirlwind. There's many junk adds that are susceptible to that effect which lasts much longer than the G/J AoE mez. There are a few boss scenarios where one may have a little edge over the other. I think S/A has a few more tools to grab aoe aggro. Its very handy to Force Wave/Overload the mercenary snipers at Thrasher in S&V, for example, and a G/J doesn't have a quick ability to do that without burning their AoE taunt. I guess you could do it with mad dash, but it requires more set up to make sure you don't run off the balcony. Anyway, I'm sure there's tons of examples where one class has an advantage over another for specific boss fights, but for the most part you can down any boss with any tank in the game. I see all three kinds of tanks from known progression guilds on parsely.

In terms of off-spec dps, Infiltration/Deception is demonstrably in an excellent place right now and above Vigilance/Vengeance in the rankings for the time being.

I think the class stories for Knights and Warriors are more enjoyable than Consulars/Inquisitors but that is of course a matter of preference. From a playstyle perspective I like G/J a little more, especially on the off spec dps, but I have all 3 kinds of tanks.

I don't think you can go wrong picking any of the tanking classes, to be honest.

Sin is a cheese tank, the most ability to completely negate mechanics and a few good DCDs, some micromanaging required.

Juggie is the cooldown tank - less cheesing, more managing cooldowns.

They're both perfectly good enough for the overwhelming amount of content, play what you want

• 3 weeks later...