Noob Questions About GTN & Sending Items to Your Characters

DOR_Spex

I have been playing for a week (it took me a while to get off of Tython) and I just found the Galactic Trade Network

(I'll pause so that everyone can stop laughing at me)...

Now I was trying to buy some armor & weapons for my character but every time I do a search, I don't get any results. I have tried leaving the "name" box blank as well as leaving "Any" and "All" with no luck. How do you set the search parameters to find things on the GTN?

Also, is there a way to send items and/or credits to other characters?

Thank you for your assistance

Sending Items and/or Credits: There are post boxes littered around (they have the little letter icon on you mini-map) just pop your desired recipient's name in the field (spell it right as well) and attach the items or credits.

GTN - I'd suggest going Armour->(Class applicable, so medium for Sentinel, Heavy for Guardian, Light for Sage/Shadow, assuming you're a Jedi of some sort)->Cheap->Chest... or something.

There are a few bugs which can cause the GTN to return with no results, so just keep spamming options until you get something.

That should help, maybe? If it doesn't, just come back and ask for more help, though I'm sure someone's going to pop in and correct me.

If you're too specific when searching for stuff you're likely to get no results. I don't recomend using the 'Usable by' search peramiter, when it comes to companions it looks for 'Usable by <Companion name>' on the armour, like the items you recieve specifically for your companion, and they're always bound to you.

start with a really broad search, just 'Armour' 'light/medium/heavy/adaptive'. leave the quality as 'Standard' since 'All' doesn't seem to work. See if anything comes up, if it does then start narrowing the search, perhaps by level, allow for at least 5 either side of where you're at, and go from there, searching by stat is usefull for more class specific items (I only use the main stat for that part (str, wis, cun, aim))... I don't recomend using the credit cap for searching, if you can't afford it you can't buy it, but you can at least see what's out there for what prices.

If you don't get anything with a broad search, then it's probably a bug... :(

as for quality, green are sufficient most of the time, i only narrow down the quality if there is an abundance of greens, blues or purples to choose from, which isn't often on my server ^^

sorry for the spelling xD Hope this helps

I think the biggest hangups people have are the "usable by" entry which blocks every thing, and a narrow level search. Most items jump by 2-3 levels with new gear. So for example (making up numbers) Chest armor exists at level 22 and 25, if you're level 24 and do a search for just 24 gear it looks like there is none. So like what was said above, make sure the level you use is a wide level range + or - 4 levels.

I think the biggest hangups people have are the "usable by" entry which blocks every thing, and a narrow level search. Most items jump by 2-3 levels with new gear. So for example (making up numbers) Chest armor exists at level 22 and 25, if you're level 24 and do a search for just 24 gear it looks like there is none. So like what was said above, make sure the level you use is a wide level range + or - 4 levels.

This! Usable By has never worked. Also, you usually need to choose a rarity, often times "standard" won't show you any items. And standard is crap anyway, so you aren't missing much.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I too have been having similar issues but mine seems to be more troublesome. I've been playing a couple weeks now off and on. Worked my way up to level 24 and ofcourse I'm starting to get curious about working the GTN. I have gone through all the tabs, clicked in and out of the the GTN several times and have even logged out and then back in a few times. This doesn't seem to be on any one world. I've experienced the same complete lack of any items at all GTN booths I've checked out. Not entirely sure what else I can do aside from bother support and wait in utter patience for a response.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Just to be clear, have you tried a basic search like I suggested above? make sure you hit the 'reset' button to send it all back to default first.

Otherwise try typing any of the following words into the search feild:

Revan, Spy, Conservator, Valiant, Clandestine, Destroyer, Preceptor, Phantom, (or any other popular cartel armour set name)

make sure you leave everything else on the default if you do this.

If those don't give any results... then creating a ticket might be your only 'solution'

if you can, see if the problem still exists on an alt.

Also, is there a way to send items and/or credits to other characters?

Here is an email tip. You can set up your alts as "friends" and when you send them an email it will autocomplete the name in a dropdown list, saving you from typing it in all the time. It also helps you from mistyping a name. If you mistakenly send stuff to the wrong player, there is no way to recall it.

Edited by Owsley

So, I too have been having similar issues but mine seems to be more troublesome. I've been playing a couple weeks now off and on. Worked my way up to level 24 and ofcourse I'm starting to get curious about working the GTN. I have gone through all the tabs, clicked in and out of the the GTN several times and have even logged out and then back in a few times. This doesn't seem to be on any one world. I've experienced the same complete lack of any items at all GTN booths I've checked out. Not entirely sure what else I can do aside from bother support and wait in utter patience for a response.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

For searching the GTN don't put in your name (or your companions name) in the search fields. That seems to cause more problems. I've been in the game since launch and I can't get that to work properly either.

To give an example, lets say I want a new heavy armor headpiece. My level is 33 and my current piece is level 29.

What I would do in the search fields is select heavy armor, headpiece, * prototype quality (blue) but use premium (green) if you want to as well, level range 29-33 and search. Then it will only show me all headpieces of blue quality and up from levels 29-33. You will also get listings for heavy armors that you won't want because they'll have the wrong main stat on them but I find this the easiest way to navigate the GTN. That may be where the 'search for items I can use' option is supposed to work but every time I try it I get blanks as well, so I don't bother.

*When you search an item quality it will show you all items from the quality you picked and higher, no lower.

Edited by Ridickilis

*When you search an item quality it will show you all items from the quality you picked and higher, no lower.
This is absolutely correct. Whoever said "standard" will return no results is wrong. Setting the Rarity to "standard", the lowest Rarity (and the default setting when you first open the GTN, or if you hit the "reset" button), will generally return many, many pages of listings, including lots of standard rarity items, especially if you don't narrow the level or price range.

It's the other settings (including level and price range) that tend to narrow things too far and get you no results.

Also, as with the tips on mailing items to your other characters, spelling counts. If you're looking for "Lacqerous" Leggings, and spell it "Lacquerous" (or "legings"), or a "Demicot" robe and spell it "Dimicot", you'll get no results.

Good info here. I'm only three days into the game myself, but I had this adventure with GTN yesterday :)

The one annoying thing I noticed about search is that it takes any text you enter as name to be a "containing" search, and there's apparently no way to make it search "exactly" the text you entered.

As an example, if you type in Minor Experience Point Boost, it will not only show you the item of that exact name, but also the items -

Minor Forum Trolling Experience Point Boost

Minor N00b Baiting Experience Point Boost

Minor Item Duping Experience Point Boost

etc...

Just to be clear, have you tried a basic search like I suggested above? make sure you hit the 'reset' button to send it all back to default first.

Otherwise try typing any of the following words into the search feild:

Revan, Spy, Conservator, Valiant, Clandestine, Destroyer, Preceptor, Phantom, (or any other popular cartel armour set name)

make sure you leave everything else on the default if you do this.

If those don't give any results... then creating a ticket might be your only 'solution'

if you can, see if the problem still exists on an alt.

Sure enough, this helped. :) I wasn't aware that one had to be so specific. This could be a little frustrating for sometime. It would be nice to see what was for sale in a bigger picture view. For someone just starting out, not being aware of just how much of anything is available, what items are helpful, which ones to stay away from, not really knowing what your looking for, so on, and so forth as stated can be irritating. But, thank you very much for the tips. They are very much appreciated.

For searching the GTN don't put in your name (or your companions name) in the search fields. That seems to cause more problems. I've been in the game since launch and I can't get that to work properly either.

To give an example, lets say I want a new heavy armor headpiece. My level is 33 and my current piece is level 29.

What I would do in the search fields is select heavy armor, headpiece, * prototype quality (blue) but use premium (green) if you want to as well, level range 29-33 and search. Then it will only show me all headpieces of blue quality and up from levels 29-33. You will also get listings for heavy armors that you won't want because they'll have the wrong main stat on them but I find this the easiest way to navigate the GTN. That may be where the 'search for items I can use' option is supposed to work but every time I try it I get blanks as well, so I don't bother.

Awesome! This helps to clarify a little further. Much appreciated.