[Official High Resolution Textures Post] Can we get a clarification on this?

Adelbert

On a personal note, I went back in game after this discussion yesterday and really peered at my character with scrutiny: I still don't see what the big deal is. And please, don't anyone post more screenshots as "proof". I just don't see the graphics in this game being that bad. Genre best graphics? No. But still very good, and definitely good enough to be considered playable.

Well, the issue here is with "Character Textures", the world itself does look great, gear on characters- not. Maybe you just got used to crappy graphics if it doesn't bother you at all. It's just like Im not bothered with the so called "ability Lag" as I don't see it nor "feel it" while for some players it's a gamebreaker.

Edited by Skwark

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That should be up to the players to decide. Bioware can't (morally) just say "YOUR GPU MIGHT OVERHEAT, NO TEXTURES FOR YOU". It's a) stupid and b) a sign that their engine is terrible.

unfortunately , we live in a world of laws , lawyers and , most important for my point, liabilities..

i can see how they would have to even change the EULA if the possiblity even existed , even a very remote chance

pretty sure the Beta EULA has a part in it that says "its a beta, we are not liable for malfunctions" in it somewhere, but i could be wrong, in any case, i doubt enabling them JUST ON OUR CHARCTER AND COMPANION would be thaaaaaat much taxing...i dont see why they cant give us just that...

RE: I guess its a younger generation thing to have to have "cutting edge" graphics for a game to be considered playable.

40 years old, but I'll take the younger generation compliment, thankyou:)

Wasn't just beta with high end textures, but advertising as well, videos, pics, etc....

I guess its a younger generation thing to have to have "cutting edge" graphics for a game to be considered playable. Really, even as a fan of the game I can realistically concede that there are plenty of things that some might find being worthy of unsubbing over. That poor graphics is one of them just boggles the mind.

Please read the thread you're posting in before you do actually post, it really goes far.

The complaint is not that it's lacking "cutting edge" graphics, it's that the graphics shown in promotional videos, screenshots and even the game box is not representative of what is in the actual game.

I don't think its a matter of "decieving" anyone, but then its not in my nature to assume that people are lying by default.

According to Reid's post quoted in the OP, graphics settings were one way during beta, many players were having issues, so a solution was implemented. Given the large amount of people complaining about FPS issues in other threads, I don't see why people find such an explanation so far-fetched.

No that is not solution, this would be a solution:

Triple Buffering: Enable/Disable

Multisampling: Disable / 2 / 4 / 8 / 16

Texture Resolution: Low/Medium/High

Texture Filtering: Disable / 2 / 4 / 8 / 16

Shadow Quality: Low / Medium / High/ Ultra

Vertical Sync: Off / On

Projected Textures : Low / Medium / High/ Ultra

Liquid Detail: Off / Low / Medium / High/ Ultra

Particle Density: Off / Low / Medium / High/ Ultra

View Distance: Low / Medium / High/ Ultra

Ground Clutter: Low / Medium / High/ Ultra

Enviroment Detail: Low / Medium / High/ Ultra

This is not want I wanted to hear.

It is enough that I am considering cancelling my account, with me leaning on the cancel side.

If they act like this on this issue I won't be happy with the way they act in other areas.

Edited by Owlcat

Tried the holoterminal trick myself. And the differencies in quality are just shocking.

http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/9871/hiresbeforeholotrick.jpg

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/6746/hiresafterholotrick.jpg[/img]"]http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/6746/hiresafterholotrick.jpg

Both screenshots taken with texture quality set to "high" and character detail set to "high".

So telling us "it works as intended" is a joke. :mad:

Please tell us the holoterminal trick , just try to use it ?

Bioware : Quick fix , give us a portable version of the ship holoterminal , the companion can carry it

..graphics settings were one way during beta, many players were having issues, so a solution was implemented. Given the large amount of people complaining about FPS issues in other threads, I don't see why people find such an explanation so far-fetched.

People are STILL having FPS issues with the crappy textures right now.

Also, if the high-res textures are in the game files, would it therefore not be reasonable to assume a texture pack could be made to replace the current files?

I know that's usually reserved for SP games and it is something I would have no idea to do, but i cant see why not ?

um...

ive been posting screenshots for the past week and no one even noticed, but ive ALWAYS had this option like this on my client, i never put it there, the client did , so ....

either all the whiners here cant actually notice the different and just jump on the bandwagon , or somehow the option doesnt really do anything on my end and keeps loading medium

wich is it?

i dont see all the "horrible" people are crying about

http://i41.tinypic.com/x21n3o.jpg

Actually that was a sarcasm post ... Adding that line will enable all reflection wich are ALL based upon EMPIRE .... go in any republic station and the reflection on texture are based upon empire texture .... yea LOL

i've been in 2 weekends beta , first one the textures was terible , people coment on that, bad advertise ...etc...In the second beta they put the nicest texture they had, and told us that we will have even better ones at lauch...people bought the game , now people have these crappy textures again...

solution: dont pay the sub on 20.01.2012 , let them boil for a wile (3 days atleast).Lets prove them that we are the ones important , the ones with the cash flow.

Actually that was a sarcasm post ... Adding that line will enable all reflection wich are ALL based upon EMPIRE .... go in any republic station and the reflection on texture are based upon empire texture .... yea LOL

oh wow...lol

i play empire so i wouldnt have noticed but thats kinda hilarious and sad at the same time

Edited by LaVolpex

The whole debacle can be summed up as:

>Bioware buys out-dated engine

>Makes TOR on out-dated engine

>The engine can't support 2012-standard graphics

>Bioware says "that's just how it is"

How many times do I have to say: They re-built the engine. It isn't outdated, and looks great minus the high res player textures, if you can play it maxed out at least. When those textures are in it will look incredible.

I really think that we as consumers deserve more than what we are getting here. They tried to PR spin it and Its really a matter of "we know what's best for you."

Like someone Said, set up high rez on the PTR and let us as consumers break it for you and send in reports. Isolate the cause of the crashes or whatever (which is the real issue here...not the High Rez textures. There are MMOs out there that look better than this one that doesn't have this problem) so that we can all be happy....

A good short term fix though would be to enable sharding on the Fleet like I said earlier. If the Game can't handle 15 other high rez player textures +Enviroment textures that are static (Warzones I'm looking at you) then this is an optimization issue and not a Player Rig issue. I have a hard time believing that someone that can play ubersampling on in Witcher 2 is going to have an issue running high rez textures in this game.

During prime time US East Coast, Iron Citadel has 350+ people on the Imperial Fleet. That's a server without a queue. 15 people? Haha. Try a good 100-200 sitting by the GTN, with another 50-100 around the Cargo Hold and Warzone Vendors.

I agree with you, but don't belittle the validity of their claims.

How many times do I have to say: They re-built the engine. It isn't outdated, and looks great minus the high res player textures, if you can play it maxed out at least. When those textures are in it will look incredible.

I guess you're going to have to say it again, because the engine is clearly poorly coded and the end result looks and plays outdated. This much is obvious to many, even those such as myself who are enjoying the game - but the experience is soured by Bioware's corner-cutting.

well for once they probably don´t want to do hi-res textures because they have to redo a lot of them to some extend because they seem to have cut quite a few corners:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/265/mirrormirror.jpg/

republic fleet for example uses imperials reflection mapping as you can see, when you put force the LOD to render in high detail

OH... MY... GOD...

That has GOT to be embarassing. Thanks for posting this, I am definitely going to mess around this myself now and see what other embarassing stuff they glossed over like this.

Except it didn't have those options in 2004. Doesn't make this situation right or justify it in anyway but I'm willing to give them a little time to add features and options.

You make a fair point, but then again, you'd think that a game at launch at the end of 2011 would have better options than a game at launch in 2004.

just commenting on the fleet sharding point..

it is enabled i can confirm it as ive been sharded on fleet before with a few other players , very rarely , but it is indeed enabled on fleet so that is not where the issue lies, it may lie on things that large groups of players must do TOGETHER (warzones and ilum/world pvp comes to mind, everyone has to be on the same shard )

Okay all u say is pretty reasonable man IF IT WASNT FOR THE FACT THAT ALL TRAILERS AND GAMEPLAY THAT THEY SELL IS FROM THE BETA GRAPHICS THAT DONT EXIST ANYMORE DO YOU GET IT ! ?

iCalm yourself, bro. I get it, I just don't care about it. If BW pulls down all their adds and puts up new ones with the current graphics, would it make you feel better?

Ever notice how the picture of that Big Mac looks so well put together and (arguably) appetizing? Then when you open your Big Mac box you have to rearrange it so that the meat patty actually sits on the bun? Pretty much the same thing as far as I'm concerned.

Well, the issue here is with "Character Textures", the world itself does look great, gear on characters- not. Maybe you just got used to crappy graphics if it doesn't bother you at all. It's just like Im not bothered with the so called "ability Lag" as I don't see it nor "feel it" while for some players it's a gamebreaker.

That's what I logged in to look at, specifically. As I said yesterday, I guess its just a generation gap thing. The graphics look great to me. Most of the pics posted as "proof" of TORs bad graphics I found myself wondering where the problem was, honestly.

I noticed no one is talking about the draw distance which is yet another huge disappointment.. the grass that grows in front of your eyes... the HUGE animals/items/details that pop up in front of you when they are 100 meters away .. the crappy mountains in tatooine that look like cardboard boxes until you come close...

Seriously, I am tired of saying this "in older games like X and Y, these options were given to players"

BIOWARE get your act together please before you squander the potential of SWTOR away... You made a great game and you are ruining it with rookie MMO programmer mistakes

Edited by OberonSky

People are saying cut scene textures are high quality but even in cut scenes my character has a blurry image especially in the chest area.

http://i.imgur.com/sVnxd.jpg

I've tried the holo terminal trick and it results in a much more crisp and high quality image. I think this game is fantastic and fantastic games must have high standards. This area badly fails to meet that standard.

How and when bioware responds to this will be a good indicator for the future prospects of this game.

Except it didn't have those options in 2004. Doesn't make this situation right or justify it in anyway but I'm willing to give them a little time to add features and options.

Of course you did not. That was 2004. Now it is 2012 and what do we have in this crappy unoptimized excuse for a game engine?!

http://i.imgur.com/0lF3U.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/lQT9h.jpg

http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/9871/hiresbeforeholotrick.jpg

http://imgur.com/3JUxV

Please tell us the holoterminal trick , just try to use it ?

Bioware : Quick fix , give us a portable version of the ship holoterminal , the companion can carry it

Just click on the holoterminal or the intercom button while you don't have a quest stage to do so. Since there is no quest it won't load into an actual cutscene with dialogue but it will briefly try, before it realizes you don't have a quest for it, and in that brief 0.5 second flash you'll see the cutscene textures loaded on your character.

The reason this is so handy is because it means you can very easily get a before and after shot that are displayed in the exact same location at the exact same angle.