Snipers = dots not kills

WIZBASKY

I have noticed since I hit 55 about 1 week ago, that all snipers seem to do now are throw dots on everyone, oh sure those dots are annoying and if you are not a commando you can't get rid of them, but they don't kill.

They do a lot of damage sure and it may make you back off and go heal up, which maybe gets you out of the fight but they don't kill.

I was just in a game where a sniper came first in dps 720k and only 9 kills 2nd place was me 560k I think it was and 30 something kills.

Do snipers not have a single target pure dps spec that is viable?, or is it snipers just want the big dps score at end so they just dot everyone?

I have noticed since I hit 55 about 1 week ago, that all snipers seem to do now are throw dots on everyone, oh sure those dots are annoying and if you are not a commando you can't get rid of them, but they don't kill.

They do a lot of damage sure and it may make you back off and go heal up, which maybe gets you out of the fight but they don't kill.

I was just in a game where a sniper came first in dps 720k and only 9 kills 2nd place was me 560k I think it was and 30 something kills.

Do snipers not have a single target pure dps spec that is viable?, or is it snipers just want the big dps score at end so they just dot everyone?

Not sure if you are trolling. :)

Most of the 55's are probably pve players. Lethality is a good pve spec and it isn't bad pvp either, but...

Expect to see a lot of MM snipers when bolster is fixed. Take a carnage marauder and have them standing 35 yards away and that about sums it up.

6/10 not bad

Thought it was legit for awhile until I read the end where you said it had no viable single target burst.

It was a question and most likely a retorical.

More on topic, they're stat padding, just like sorcs/sages have been accused off since launch.

Sure there is more viable things to do than spread DoTs but they do help. They keep enemies in combat which slows them down. It also costs them a GCD if they want to cleanse, and obviously lowers their health.

I'll often spread my corrosive grenade around on my Sniper because I have the talented 6 seconds 30% slow, and with there being no cooldown on it now it's a great ability.

Edited by Jayshames

Lethality!!!

I love my op.

Please pay no attention to my dots they will not hurt you I swear. ;)

But when those dots are on you and then I cull cull cull, shiv, cull you and you die super fast even though you are a tank...it was the DOTS!!!

INTERNAL DAMAGE FTW!!!

I'm having too much fun as mm right now but ya its not the dots dude.

Lethality may even be better than MM right now but when I play my sniper I just can't change since MM is so fun in 2.0. When I'm getting frequent 800k matches using 90% single target burst and no dots then you know it is insane right now.

Pistols have you tried out both MM and lethality in 2.0?

DOTS may not kill in a WZ, but what is a WZ TRULY about anyways? Number of kills, or winning? Number of kills means NOTHING if you lose. Winning is all that matters. And if dots help do that, then so what. If it keeps someone off the node so they can cleanse/heal up, then that's good. If they help keep someone from capping, GREAT. Who cares if they kill them or not. If I can keep 3 people busy cleansing and/or healing up from the dots, then that's 3 people NOT capping or defending. If dots brings someone to below 30%, that's good to for one of my teammates who can then use his execute abilities. If they get the kill because of my dots, that's great and I did my job. (Played as a team rather than padding my stats.) Most number of kills means almost nothing.

An operative/scoundrel could sit in stealth waiting for people to get low on HP and then pop out and burst them quickly for the kill. If they get the most KB's, does that mean they contributed the most? Of course not. And I'll never, NEVER, vote for anyone with the most kills. I personally, look at who contributed the most. IE: most damage + most healing, or most damage+most protection, etc etc. If you look at 2 stats rather than just one, you'll quickly see who really helps the team the most.

So at 720K dps you would definitely have more than 9 kills because a kill means you inflicted a certain (low number) amount of damage or dealt the killing blow. Even if every one of his kills were only done to a single target, that would still be 26 kills. So actual numbers instead of made up ones would be nice

I like lethality, i enjoy and played well can really do some numbers. But in a sense it makes the sniper a support dps class like a madness sorc tossing out his dots. With healers now becoming more aware of the dots and cleansing them, i have switched to a 32/12/2 MM/Eng hybrid spec. Great burst potential along with increased damage to AE's. I may not get huge 1+mil damage but i float around 600-800k consistently depending on the warzone.

The difference i've noticed is setup time. When you throw your corrosive grenade on say a healer, it's an automatic flag to them that they are getting dott'ed up, and any healer with any sense would get ready to cleanse those dots before an incoming cull. I've seen this countless time when i'm trying to take out a healer. With the marksman spec, i hit em with a shatter shot, EP, and SOS and before they know it, i've taken out almost 50-60% of thier health in like 3seconds. Burst is king now in 2.0. Can't cleanse direct damage and i've noticed it's much more effective.

A sniper's job imo is to kill the enemy and i do it well with this spec. The fast target switching allows me to put pressure where i need it. I used to love lethality before 2.0, i was an avid player of it and i still play it once in awhile. At the end of a match when the scoreboard comes up and you see that lethality sniper did 1mil damage with 3 killing blows, compared to my 750k with 24 killing blows in marksman, it basically sums it up for me.

DOTS may not kill in a WZ, but what is a WZ TRULY about anyways? Number of kills, or winning? Number of kills means NOTHING if you lose. Winning is all that matters. And if dots help do that, then so what. If it keeps someone off the node so they can cleanse/heal up, then that's good. If they help keep someone from capping, GREAT. Who cares if they kill them or not. If I can keep 3 people busy cleansing and/or healing up from the dots, then that's 3 people NOT capping or defending. If dots brings someone to below 30%, that's good to for one of my teammates who can then use his execute abilities. If they get the kill because of my dots, that's great and I did my job. (Played as a team rather than padding my stats.) Most number of kills means almost nothing.

An operative/scoundrel could sit in stealth waiting for people to get low on HP and then pop out and burst them quickly for the kill. If they get the most KB's, does that mean they contributed the most? Of course not. And I'll never, NEVER, vote for anyone with the most kills. I personally, look at who contributed the most. IE: most damage + most healing, or most damage+most protection, etc etc. If you look at 2 stats rather than just one, you'll quickly see who really helps the team the most.

I assure you that if I can kill your team twice as fast as you can kill mine then I will win every warzone, *possibly* save for huttball.

The difference is that lethality snipers have a great DOT pressure game (due to corrosive grenade being an AOE and having not cooldown/low energy cost) and amazing single target burst through cull/takedown.

Sorcs have the same dots but they deal less damage, and don't have an amazing burst ability like cull or takedown. Full madness also lacks the force efficiency to offheal very often.

If you were bringing a ranged DOT class, the answer is obviously in the snipers favor since it offers better CC, simular defenses and far superior damage. DOTs might not land the killing blow, but if they cause the target to drop the fight or die, does it really matter?