[GUIDE] Reverse Engineering Rules

psandak

what rating? if it is not ops level (230 or above) then it won't work.

No its 230 like :/ Armoring mods and enhancement all 230... and purple. Can tell you eaxctly what they are too. Versatile armoring Lethal mod quick savant enhancement. all 230. None will RE. Yet I have already been able to RE an adept enhancement and a different lethal mod I had previously found in gear on different toon. Its all very strange

Edited by uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

No its 230 like :/ Armoring mods and enhancement all 230... and purple. Can tell you eaxctly what they are too. Versatile armoring Lethal mod quick savant enhancement. all 230. None will RE. Yet I have already been able to RE an adept enhancement and a different lethal mod I had previously found in gear on different toon. Its all very strange

Well if you already have the schematic then there will be no research available. It also could be a tooltip bug, that's been known to happen. But my advice from "high end schematics" applies here:

You should only RE for schematics when the opportunity presents itself but only when...

• You get an item you already have from a command crate and do not have a character that could use it (ALL your level 70 characters are either fully geared or have full sets waiting for them)
  • You pick up an item with top end stuff in it and only use one or two of the pieces

In other words do not risk losing a resource on the off chance the tooltip is bugged, just send the item modification to a character that can use it.

It is also possible, that they (stealth) "fixed a bug" between when I REed rating 230 item modifications and now. Because the schematics for rating 230 item modifications drop from EVERY SM Ops boss and a lot of them drop the same schematics, it is possible that they did not intend even purple item modifications to be REed. And because I have the overwhelming majority of the 230 item modification schematics, I can no longer test.

Well if you already have the schematic then there will be no research available. It also could be a tooltip bug, that's been known to happen. But my advice from "high end schematics" applies here:

You should only RE for schematics when the opportunity presents itself but only when...

• You get an item you already have from a command crate and do not have a character that could use it (ALL your level 70 characters are either fully geared or have full sets waiting for them)
  • You pick up an item with top end stuff in it and only use one or two of the pieces

In other words do not risk losing a resource on the off chance the tooltip is bugged, just send the item modification to a character that can use it.

It is also possible, that they (stealth) "fixed a bug" between when I REed rating 230 item modifications and now. Because the schematics for rating 230 item modifications drop from EVERY SM Ops boss and a lot of them drop the same schematics, it is possible that they did not intend even purple item modifications to be REed. And because I have the overwhelming majority of the 230 item modification schematics, I can no longer test.

I don't have the item already I have it on a different character that hardly matters? And even if it did matter I don't have the 230 barrel on any toon and still can't RE it. No idea what you mean by a tooltip bug? And I always RE schematics regardless of whether my toon is fully geared. Why USE the mod when I can RE it and make one to replace the one I RE'd while making umpteen more for profit? Not sure how I'd send the item to a toon that can use it since it's bound and all. And plus the fact that it isn't RE-able anyway. Doesn't even say you can't because your Cybertech isn't high enough or whathaveyou just no option to RE at all. Also dunno how it could be a bug they fixed being able to RE them at all because I literally RE'd a 230 Adept enhancement on a different toon the same day :/ would have to be one hell of a quick fix xD

Edited by uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

• 3 weeks later...
I just tried to RE one of the crystals from Jeelvic the Jawa since its Purple. Only gives you materials.

I updated the OP for clarity:

You CANNOT RE for schematics an item purchased with credits or other "currency". Whether that is crafted by someone else or from an NPC vendor does not matter. i.e. if you purchase an item modification off the GTN in the hopes of REing it for the schematic it will not work; or you buy from Jeelvic the Jawa (or ANY NPC) it will not work.
Edited by psandak

You CANNOT RE for schematics an item purchased with credits or other "currency". Whether that is crafted by someone else or from an NPC vendor does not matter. i.e. if you purchase an item modification off the GTN in the hopes of REing it for the schematic it will not work; or you buy from Jeelvic the Jawa (or ANY NPC) it will not work.

What about items from Command Crates, but from alts? If for example I get a 240 mod from a Command Crate on my Sentinel, transfer it to my Sniper in a Bind on Legacy item, then RE that mod on my Sniper, will the Sniper get a schematic for that mod or not?

What about items from Command Crates, but from alts? If for example I get a 240 mod from a Command Crate on my Sentinel, transfer it to my Sniper in a Bind on Legacy item, then RE that mod on my Sniper, will the Sniper get a schematic for that mod or not?

Absolutely...so long as it is PURPLE.

Updated OP for clarity

• 1 year later...

Hope you are still reading this thread. Maybe you have an info on RE'ing Blue schematic gear to [Prototype} gear purple. For example - Avenger Chestguard level 15 blue item, to the same one, but with a prefix [prototype] Avenger Chestguard and color purple with much better stats? These items have a standard 20% chance of Reverse Engineering.

Hope you are still reading this thread. Maybe you have an info on RE'ing Blue schematic gear to [Prototype} gear purple. For example - Avenger Chestguard level 15 blue item, to the same one, but with a prefix [prototype] Avenger Chestguard and color purple with much better stats? These items have a standard 20% chance of Reverse Engineering.

If they are crafted by an [ARCHIVE] schematic, and you crafted them yourself, then the 20% figure is a lie. There is no corresponding purple schematic to be researched. If someone else crafted them, then you can't RE for schematics anyway. The clue that this is your case is "level 15 blue item". Current schematics (see below for definition) don't craft level 15 items. (Also, I checked TOR-Fashion. The Avenger Chestguard is, indeed, an [ARCHIVE] schematic, so no RE for it.)

If you craft a "current" blue schematic (that is, one that can be learned today at the trainers by a new character), then the chance to research is 60% unless the schematic uses exotic materials like CMTs or EMCs, in which case, it is 100%.